Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Fasting a Meal a Day
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Carolyn Smith
Quiet Wyatt wrote:

I should hasten to say that, if one feels God is leading them to give up certain foods for a period of time or for good, one should definitely do that, and God will definitely be pleased with such a sacrifice. But such a sacrifice is not a biblical fast.

Agreed. I heard Rod Parsley say that he gave up something (to eat) in particular that was just something between him and God. Nothing "wrong" about the food, just something he gave as a sacrifice to God.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
11/14/15 7:28 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
When Daniel an his cohort a fellers determined not to eat the kings food, this most definitely WAS NOT a fast. It had to do with kosher edibles, not fastin. Acts-pert Poster
11/14/15 7:30 pm

Post bonnie knox
Ole Timer, there's one thing in particular I really appreciate about you, and that's your clarity.
Jentezen Franklin's book, The Fasting Edge worded it this way: "Instead Daniel suggested a ten-day fast of nothing but vegetables and water..."
I thought that really muddied the waters, especially when it seemed some folks were hanging on to every word of the book as if it were the gospel itself.
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
When Daniel an his cohort a fellers determined not to eat the kings food, this most definitely WAS NOT a fast. It had to do with kosher edibles, not fastin.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
11/14/15 7:43 pm

Post Cojak
When Daniel an his cohort a fellers determined not to eat the kings food, this most definitely WAS NOT a fast. It had to do with kosher edibles, not fastin.

I really hate it when folks try to use facts to prove a point! Embarassed Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
11/14/15 7:48 pm

bonnie knox wrote:
Ole Timer, there's one thing in particular I really appreciate about you, and that's your clarity.
Jentezen Franklin's book, The Fasting Edge worded it this way: "Instead Daniel suggested a ten-day fast of nothing but vegetables and water..."
I thought that really muddied the waters, especially when it seemed some folks were hanging on to every word of the book as if it were the gospel itself.

Miss Bonnie, it is extremely frustratin to the ole timer when folk suggest that scripture means what it don't mean. I got no vendetta agin Jentzin. I got a real problem with misconstrued, misinterpreted passages of scripture an faulty hermeneutics. This is the very reason they is so much error/strangeness/weirdness/heresy in the greater Penneycostal/Charismatic world. If folk would simply READ, STUDY & PRAY, they wouldn't be so much a this kinda stuff in the church.
Acts-pert Poster
11/14/15 7:58 pm

Cojak wrote:

I really hate it when folks try to use facts to prove a point! Embarassed Cool

Ats why the ole timer aint tossed with ever wind a doctrine, Cojak. Son, if a feller don't stay in the facts a the good Book, he is gonna be open to every kinda foul bird. Cool
Acts-pert Poster
11/14/15 7:59 pm

Post UncleJD
Carolyn Smith wrote:
UncleJD wrote:
Carolyn Smith wrote:

I still don't think the skip a meal thing is in the Bible, either, though.

According to the English understanding of the word, I believe it is, i.e. the word "breakfast" means exactly that, and its not referring to skipping a whole day, just going a time without food or drink. But Hebrew scholars may be able to further enlighten us.

Fasting while you're asleep doesn't seem to be much of a sacrifice. Wink

That's my point, the English understanding is very clearly a time without eating or drinking. Whether that's the same as the Hebrew meaning, it may not be I do not know. I'd love for one of our scholars to speak up. But I think it does mean the same thing. I don't know if there is a "minimum" time for fasting to be considered a spiritual fast.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
11/14/15 8:56 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Tom Sterbens wrote:
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
A 'partial fast' or 'Daniel fast' is like being kind of pregnant. A biblical fast is abstention from food (and sometimes water too) for a period of time. Anything less is a diet, not a fast.

Wow......

I get that sometimes. 😀
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
11/16/15 4:10 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
What does Jesus say about fasting? Acts-pert Poster
11/16/15 5:41 pm

Post Poimen
Sis Carolyn, it seems to me the following verse has pertinent implications on your question.

"And she was a widow of about fourscore and four years, which departed not from the temple, but served God with fastings and prayers night and day." -- Luke 2:37

While the verse does not delineate her exact schedule or methods it nevertheless shows us that it is possible to serve God daily with fastings.

How can that be? What might that look like? Isn't it reasonable that one option is fasting a specific meal? I think so.

Singing: "Let us then be true and faithful -- trusting, serving, everyday. Just one glimpse of Him in glory will the toils of life repay."
11/17/15 5:24 am

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post Poimen

Perhaps you are correct, but it is interesting to note that Daniel did not request to eat "kosher" foods as it were. Instead he requested to limit his intake beyond that compelled by Mosaic dietary laws, eating only "pulse".

Singing: "Let us then be true and faithful -- trusting, serving, everyday. Just one glimpse of Him in glory will the toils of life repay."
11/17/15 5:33 am

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post Poimen
In addition, perhaps it can be instructive to those utilizing a partial fast to contemplate that Daniel denied himself "pleasant" foods.

11/17/15 5:34 am

Post Carolyn Smith
Eddie Robbins wrote:
What does Jesus say about fasting?

Looking up the word "fast," Jesus said (to paraphrase) not to try to appear to fast the way the Pharisees did, but to let fasting be between you & God. (Matthew 6) He also answered questions about why his disciples didn't fast, and He told them that once the bridegroom was taken, they would fast.

He also said that this kind (demons) come not out but by fasting and prayer.
11/17/15 6:38 am

Post Carolyn Smith
Poimen wrote:
Sis Carolyn, it seems to me the following verse has pertinent implications on your question.

"And she was a widow of about fourscore and four years, which departed not from the temple, but served God with fastings and prayers night and day." -- Luke 2:37

While the verse does not delineate her exact schedule or methods it nevertheless shows us that it is possible to serve God daily with fastings.

How can that be? What might that look like? Isn't it reasonable that one option is fasting a specific meal? I think so.

Good point. All of them, good points.
11/17/15 7:27 am

Post Cojak
Poimen wrote:

Perhaps you are correct, but it is interesting to note that Daniel did not request to eat "kosher" foods as it were. Instead he requested to limit his intake beyond that compelled by Mosaic dietary laws, eating only "pulse".

You have added some good points my friend, good to see you! Smile
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
11/17/15 10:12 am

Post Link
Poimen wrote:

He didn't want the defiled food from the kings table, and so asked for 'pulse.' It may be that he was concerned that the meat was not kosher, was offered to idols or wasn't slaughtered properly, so he asked to eat a vegetarian diet.

There is another actual fast that Daniel took later in the book.
11/17/15 9:25 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
Link wrote:
Poimen wrote:

He didn't want the defiled food from the kings table, and so asked for 'pulse.' It may be that he was concerned that the meat was not kosher, was offered to idols or wasn't slaughtered properly, so he asked to eat a vegetarian diet.

There is another actual fast that Daniel took later in the book.

One of my study Bibles says "pulse" meant beans. Ughh...beans & water. He seriously loved the Lord!
11/17/15 11:39 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic