Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Preachers more obese than population & twice as likely to have depression
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Ventureforth
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
In making being fat out to be a sin, we both judge them and go beyond Scripture in saying something is a sin that Scripture nowhere states is a sin. It would probably be better if we all were in great shape physically, but to make physical fitness an indicator of holiness is, again, to go beyond what Scripture says.

Just for the record, I also didn't say being fat was a sin. Actually, I think there are people who might be considered fat by some but are relatlvely healthy. Some are just genetically predispostioned to be what might be considered fat. (There is a little subjectivity to what "fat" is.) My post was not meant to be condemning. But Christians do need to know there is a better way to live and they do need to take care of the temple. And as Paul tells us, we should not be mastered by anything but the Lord. There are probably people who have a stronghold or strong addiction in their lives that need our prayer and support even more. But we all have tendency to eat too much or eat the wrong things at times. A suggestion that occurred to me just now(I know it is not new though): we can help each other out by making, eating and recommending to others healthy but tasty alternatives (there are such things Smile ). And we can do more fun activities that also give us the opportunity to exercise. Ok, I'm just throwing these out off the top of my head, but you get my point.
Acts-celerater
10/12/15 8:29 am

Post Eddie Robbins
I have said here many times and it is recorded in my book that this issue is not tied to salvation. I can't be any more clear than that and find that this part of the discussion is a distraction to the fact that being obese as a result of not eating a healthy diet is not God's best for your life. I do not understand the argument in favor of trashing your body since it's not a sin.

I lost my Dad at age 53 because of diabetes as a result of obesity. He preached against cigarettes. I love my Dad and he was just doing what he was taught to do. I do not want you guys dying too young or being sick because you eat garbage. I love you!
Acts-pert Poster
10/12/15 10:16 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
I have never once argued in favor of trashing your body. Talk about putting words in one's mouth. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/12/15 10:30 am

Post Ventureforth
If I'm not mistaken, there is a difference between obese and being merely fat - one of degree. A fat person may or may not be considered obese. But I know obesity is in the topic of the OP. If a person is fat he or she should especially realize the need to take measures to ensure they do not become obese.
And I don't think it is necessary to heap condemnation on our obese brothers to help them with their problem (I'm not saying you're doing that, Eddie). They may have done that for themselves, to some degree. I would think supporting our brothers in making a change would go a long way in helping. Maybe, letting them know there are other brothers and sisters like ourselves eating healthy might be one great way to do that. I'm not saying I have a lot of experience with this. Just thinking.
Acts-celerater
10/12/15 9:22 pm

Post Fat preachers has become a broken record... Clint Wills
Fairly often there are threads that make the rounds on Acts (is tithe Biblical? Can Christians drink? Is weed ok now? Fat preachers, etc.) that just rehash everyone's opinion on the subject.
We know who does and doesn't believe in every "gray-area" matter in the church because it's most of what we talk about. It's super predictable now fellas.
Does ANYONE think that being obese is better than being fit? Is there a pastor in the world who think that being depressed is a great way to live?
I think the original post was a good one by Doyle. I think the two are often connected. I know, for me, any depression that I feel happens when I step on a scale!! hahaha!!

We get it...being obese isn't healthy. Whether or not it's sin is a separate issue, but it's certainly not God's best. I have never heard anyone argue otherwise. Now can we please stop comparing being overweight to being a drug addict or adulterer!! Hiring a prostitute is not the same thing as having seconds on Thanksgiving....and if I have to explain why, then nevermind.

So telling pastors that they can't (or should feel guilty for) preach about a better way of living if they are overweight is just dumb. I have an extra few pounds, and I could stand to be in better physical shape, but Pauls said to Timothy, "For bodily exercise profiteth little: but godliness is profitable unto all things, having promise of the life that now is, and of that which is to come." There is a profit to bodily exercise, but we aren't in a physical battle with our enemy...we are in a spiritual one.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
10/13/15 9:07 am

Post Da Sheik
Doyle's initial post shines some light on the subject. With the sedentary lifestyle of most preachers, the in and out of the hospital visiting people and eating at odd hours in the car, it's often difficult to make healthy choices.

But for me the larger issue stems from the depression preachers face. I suppose there are a number of reasons why the numbers are so high but let's consider them. Most preachers have very few close friends, are very reluctant to share their burdens. When they get sick- who visits them or sends a card?

And I have noticed this dynamic in the COG more often than any other denomination. I know so many COG preachers who feel that they are a failure because their church is smaller than others. This mentality has to stop. Does the corner cafe feel like a failure because they haven't served 99 billion like McDonald's?

Throw all this in the mix, and add a little "emotional eating" for comfort and you have a recipe for obesity. It is sad.
Acts Enthusiast
10/13/15 9:30 am

Post Eddie Robbins
If they can find an exercise that is fun, it is a 2 fold help. It clears the mind as well as help towards being fit. It has to be fun, however. I think about Travis riding his bike. It's fun for him and it helps to keep him in shape. Acts-pert Poster
10/13/15 10:02 am

Post my cardiologist wayne
Always gets on me about my weight. I have lost some weight but because I am a cardiac patient, I don't think I will ever satisfy him(not complaining)

He did say something to me this last appointment that really stuck with me. He was complaining how at restaurants even their low calorie choices are 1000 calories or more. He said society is making our people fat. It's not that they just sit around, it's that they are eating on the go and when you do this - you can't burn off all those calories.

Since then, I downloaded an app on my phone and have been monitoring my intake and have been walking at least a mile or more each day. This is difficult at time because this pastor/manager/student/dad is always on the go.

Pray for me that I can continue to lose weight.
Acts Enthusiast
10/13/15 12:05 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
When you are trying to lose, eating out doesn't help you. The main reason is that you don't really know what you're eating. Black beans are good for you but not the ones in the can. In fact, the only thing I will ever eat from a can is if it is 100% organic with no preservatives. I haven't touched a soda in 2 years. If you can stick with what God made naturally, you'll be better off. It has to become an obsession. It can't be hit and miss. Today, I did good but tomorrow night we have a dinner to go to and they will serve junk. You have to ignore the junk and find something healthy. It doesn't matter if it offends. Your healthy is more important.

When people asked me if I cheated on my diet, my response was...in what other thing is it OK to cheat? Now, I am maintaining, I have a treat every once in a while.
Acts-pert Poster
10/13/15 12:45 pm

Post Re: my cardiologist Ventureforth
wayne wrote:
Since then, I downloaded an app on my phone and have been monitoring my intake and have been walking at least a mile or more each day. This is difficult at time because this pastor/manager/student/dad is always on the go.

Pray for me that I can continue to lose weight.

I will say a prayer. What app are you using?
I'm using My Fitness Pal. When I'm consistent with it, it is effective. I can scan food bar codes and get the nutritional info. Pretty handy.
Acts-celerater
10/13/15 9:40 pm

Post my fitness pal wayne
the same as you. it works pretty well except when life is really crazy. Acts Enthusiast
10/14/15 7:49 am

Post Cojak
Did anyone on here ever have a tobacco and/or drinking problem? (I did). I can look back and remember the time that it hit me, QUIT. I had tried hundreds of times, some times 6 months, then fall back in the rut. Then one day, and I was not planning or thinking about it. Something inside me said, "STOP". I cannot describe it, I cannot explain it. The desire was not taken away. I still today love to smell cigarette, cigar and especially some pipe tobacco but I do not 'want' to light up.
Everyone must reach that point such as Eddie did. Until then.......... Sad
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
10/14/15 10:49 am

Post Eddie Robbins
That's right, it's a decision to be transformed by the renewing of your mind. It can't be explained, though I tried by writing a book, but you just have to do it. Once you have been transformed, it's all down hill from there. I can't totally explain it. Acts-pert Poster
10/14/15 4:34 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic