Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Was Cana the First Miracle of Jesus?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Was Cana the First Miracle of Jesus? Aaron Scott
It occurred to me this morning that if Jesus had never performed a miracle before, then why would Mary even think to consult Him about the need for wine?

Was there something in his past (I know there are supposed gospels of the childhood of Jesus) that made her assured that He could do this?

I know that it speaks of this being the beginning of miracles, but could that mean the miracles that accompanied His public ministry?

I'm not making any doctrine of this. I just thought it was interesting that if Jesus had never performed a miracle before, yet His mother called on Him to do one.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
10/6/15 7:35 am

Post Dave Dorsey
She didn't call on Him to perform a miracle. She just knew that He would know how to address the situation, likely as a result of the wisdom of God she had seen in His life (cf. Luke 2:52) [Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/6/15 7:49 am

Post sheepdogandy
Luke 1:26 Now in the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent by God to a city of Galilee named Nazareth,
27 to a virgin betrothed to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David. The virgin's name was Mary.
28 And having come in, the angel said to her, "Rejoice, highly favored one, the Lord is with you; blessed are you among women!"
29 But when she saw him, she was troubled at his saying, and considered what manner of greeting this was.
30 Then the angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God.
31 "And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bring forth a Son, and shall call His name JESUS.
32 "He will be great, and will be called the Son of the Highest; and the Lord God will give Him the throne of His father David.
33 "And He will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and of His kingdom there will be no end."
34 Then Mary said to the angel, "How can this be, since I do not know a man?"
35 And the angel answered and said to her, "The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you; therefore, also, that Holy One who is to be born will be called the Son of God.
36 "Now indeed, Elizabeth your relative has also conceived a son in her old age; and this is now the sixth month for her who was called barren.
37 "For with God nothing will be impossible."
38 Then Mary said, "Behold the maidservant of the Lord! Let it be to me according to your word." And the angel departed from her.

Could have something to do with it. Very Happy

www.spwc.church
10/6/15 7:50 am

Post Sheepdogandy... Aaron Scott
Yes, she knew that. But was this the first time she'd ever ASKED him to intervene? Surely in those 30 years, there had been some times that she would have liked Him to have done something, right?

If she had, and if He had said no every time, well, it would be unique that she asked Him yet again.

Further, if I knew that someone was the Son of God, but they had never worked a single miracle in 30 years...I'm probably not going to think that He is going to be doing miracles.
10/6/15 11:35 am

Post Link
Dave Dorsey wrote:
She didn't call on Him to perform a miracle. She just knew that He would know how to address the situation, likely as a result of the wisdom of God she had seen in His life (cf. Luke 2:52)

I agree with this. Mary was with His family when they came to get Jesus, thinking He was beside Himself. Jesus also said to her in the passage that His time was not yet come.
10/6/15 1:27 pm

Post Re: Sheepdogandy... Dave Dorsey
Aaron Scott wrote:
Yes, she knew that. But was this the first time she'd ever ASKED him to intervene? Surely in those 30 years, there had been some times that she would have liked Him to have done something, right?

If she had, and if He had said no every time, well, it would be unique that she asked Him yet again.

Further, if I knew that someone was the Son of God, but they had never worked a single miracle in 30 years...I'm probably not going to think that He is going to be doing miracles.

The Bible says it was the first one. We could think of a million reasons why one should have happened before that, but the question comes down to whether we are willing to accept what the Bible says about it as truth or not.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/6/15 1:47 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
It was the first.

I am sure Mary was in tune with her son - and she knew his ministry was about to begin - which would include miracles.

I don't think she knew what he was going to do.

Perhaps she also wanted some non alcoholic wine - and knew Jesus was the right guy to get that job done.

Regardless - it was the first miracle if you believe the Bible.
10/6/15 5:17 pm

Post It was the first miracle recorded... Mark Ledbetter
in John's Gospel.
Spirit-Led
(This is how I want to be)
Golf Cart Mafia Associate
10/6/15 6:53 pm

Post Cojak
It was his first miracle and mine too. Our pastor refused to drink any wine unless someone turned water to wine instantly. The next Sunday in the morning service I did it. True to his word he took a sip in front of his congregation.

The Lord didn't cheat.............................................. I did!

To the OP, I am sure during the growing years there were times Mary and Joseph could have used a miracle, money to pay taxes, etc. But I think she was in awe (SHE REMEMBERED,MOTHERS DO) remembering the miracle of his birth and that powerful message from an angel. She was awaiting his time. At this time maybe DD is right, she knew he was a wise man..... Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
10/6/15 7:40 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic