Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Recent Grad seeking Advice
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post OTCP Change Agent
I thought you kept up with all the info on honorable and dishonorable degrees. Seems like this young man done you a favor. You should thank him instead of questioning his credibility. Acts Enthusiast
9/28/15 8:21 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
tdwayne wrote:

McGuire - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G._Dennis_McGuire and someone mentioned in this thread that he had a Masters from AGTS

Hess - I knew from books that he had one from Northwestern University. My pastor knew him from when he worked at School of Ministry. He never lived in Illinois so it wasn't from there. He said there used to be one in Denmark, Northwestern International University, and he got it from there while traveling. I heard he also he also has a PhD from William and Mary. I have not been able to confirm this.

If you must have a website then here's one for you. http://stsonline-edu.org/general-information/faculty/ that I just found. It seems to have a great deal more that I was looking for too. This ends up being a great resource for me.

Terrance, thank you for your response. The ole timer has no way of knowin if you askin these questions legitimately or if you are stirrin the pot. The reason is that degree mills, fake degrees, etc. is oft discussed on Actscelerate. This is why I responded as I did in my initial post to ya. So if you are legitimate in your query the old timer is apologetic for the defensive tone a his post. I'm gonna give ya the benefit a the doubt, an assume that ya serious in ya query regardin furtherin ya education. I want to begin with some general comments, then respond specifically bout the post above.

1. I am assumin ya earned ya undergrad degree from a regionally/nationally accredited school, so whatever ya do in the future, PLEASE make sure that whatever ya do is legitimately accredited.

2. In ya response bout Dennis McGuire, yep, he does have a earned masters degree from AGTS. He was given a honery docterate from East Coast Bible College, not Lee U.

3. In ya response bout Larry Hess, yep, he does have a earned masters degree from the College of William & Mary, a very reputable institution, but he does not have a PhD from the College of William & Mary. The other school you reference (NIU) as the source of the PhD no longer exists. It operated for a brief period, maybe 10-15 years or so, under the name Northwestern International University, Ltd., out of Cypress/Denmark. The website was www.universitydegree.com, which is no longer active, but if ya check through internet archive, ya can access the site from 2007 at http://web.archive.org/web/20061130045014/http://www.universitydegree.com/

4. NIU’s sister school was named American College of Metaphysical Theology used the website www.americancollege.com, but this site is no longer active either. Here is a link to access the site from [url]http://web.archive.org/web/20070622160824/http://www.americancollege.com/ [/url]. The president of both NIU and ACMT was a feller by the name of Jay Wise.

5. You posted a link to “Southeastern Theological Seminary,” a name soundin very much like Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary, which is a frequent tactic of degree mills. Here is some red flags to consider bout STS: 1) It is not accredited; 2) It has been open since 1987 in Jacksonville, FL, which is somewhat of a haven fer small religious “schools” that offer degrees all the way to the PhD; 3) STS offers degrees through the PhD level with a faculty of four persons, two contributing professors, and a curriculum consistin of the Church of God School of Ministry’s CIMS program; 4) The two “contributing professors” are well known among milled schools for offering counseling programs (all developed by Mr. Arno himself) that have little to no utility in the real world; and 5) If I was a gambler, I could almost guarantee you that if you contacted ever single person on the STS faculty page that is COG, asked them if they are aware that they are being advertised as a faculty person for STS, 99% would say no. STS has all the classic signs a bein a mill.

Why has the ole timer gone to such a length to address some a ya posts, Terrance? Cause they is so many places today advertisin an awardin academic degrees in the field of religion/theology/ministry thats basically nothing more than a degree mill, I’m a tryin to help ya. If you gonna earn a degree and use the degree, earn a real one, one you can be proud of, one that wont cause ya embarrassment an shame down the road sommers.
Acts-pert Poster
9/28/15 9:28 pm

Post Re: OTCP Old Time Country Preacher
Change Agent wrote:
I thought you kept up with all the info on honorable and dishonorable degrees.

Not to worry, CA, you thought correctly. However, much better descriptives than honorable degrees would be:

legitimate
valid
respected
substantive
Acts-pert Poster
9/28/15 9:33 pm

Post bonnie knox
And Change Agent should make certain not to conflate honorable with honorary. Cool

Welcome aboard tdwayne. Pretty cool that your pastor recommended Acts.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/28/15 9:49 pm

Post Wheaton College FG Minister
Wheaton College in Wheaton, Illinois is probably the most widely respected evangelical undergraduate and graduate school in the US. In one doctoral dissertation, a doctoral candidate evaluated two streams of American Christianity. The liberal vein was traced to Harvard, the conservative vein to Wheaton. However, acceptance into Wheaton is very tough. You will need to be in the top 10% of your college graduating class to get into their grad school. One factoid - Billy Graham earned his BA from Wheaton in 1940. Wheaton also offers doctoral programs, of course. Acts-celerater
9/29/15 6:36 am

Post Re: OTCP georgiapath
Change Agent wrote:
I thought you kept up with all the info on honorable and dishonorable degrees. Seems like this young man done you a favor. You should thank him instead of questioning his credibility.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Acts-dicted
9/29/15 7:36 am

Post OTCP, tdwayne
I appreciate you taking the time to write such a lengthy response to me. This seems like a passion of yours. I apologize for the misunderstanding. My BA is from KSU and I did well. I see from some of the schools you listed that they do not even have a .edu address. I think I would avoid those anyway. I was trying to see where most administrators go for graduate school, but I'm not sure that is a good idea after your post. It seems like many of them took shortcuts with unaccredited degrees and what you called degree mills. This actually bothers me.

Anyway, thank you for your time and interest in helping me out.

My Dad was a big fan of old country and your handle made me think of this song for you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oud8vr2y38k
9/29/15 11:30 am

Post tdwayne
bonnie knox wrote:

Welcome aboard tdwayne. Pretty cool that your pastor recommended Acts.

Thank you Bonnie. He says he follows a lot on there. And said that there are several on here that would be able to help with questions that I had.
9/29/15 11:32 am

Post Re: Wheaton College tdwayne
FG Minister wrote:
Wheaton College in Wheaton, Illinois is probably the most widely respected evangelical undergraduate and graduate school in the US. In one doctoral dissertation, a doctoral candidate evaluated two streams of American Christianity. The liberal vein was traced to Harvard, the conservative vein to Wheaton. However, acceptance into Wheaton is very tough. You will need to be in the top 10% of your college graduating class to get into their grad school. One factoid - Billy Graham earned his BA from Wheaton in 1940. Wheaton also offers doctoral programs, of course.

Thank you. I have heard of this school and will look into it.
9/29/15 11:37 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
I would think if one desired a career in administration, that pursuing an MBA or M.Ed. Would be a logical step.

As far as denominational administration goes, unless one desires to become an administrator at a denominational college or university, I don't believe education in the field of administration is a major determining factor. Probably wouldn't hurt you, career-wise, to have an MBA or M.Ed., but it seems to me that becoming a successful pastor first would be one of the most important factors if it is denominational administration one desires to pursue.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/29/15 1:03 pm

Post Da Sheik
tdwayne wrote:

I am not sure what you are implying, but I am a recent graduate and my pastor recommended that I ask on this site concerning some good ideas for schools.

Your pastor is one brave soul. Most preachers I know don't want anyone knowing that they read/post or have even heard of the site. So much so, that it has been referred to as "that COG internet site". Almost like the group in M. Night Shyamalan's movie "The Village" where a certain group of people are referred to as "those we do not speak of" Laughing
Acts Enthusiast
9/29/15 1:49 pm

Post List of unaccredited institutions of higher education (L) postmodern
Found these links ... list of unaccredited schools. I even see some schools on this list that are given by ministers in this discussion.

First, wikipipedia. Granted this is a secondary source and not always reliable
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_unaccredited_institutions_of_higher_education

And this one from Oregon Student Access Commission (a government sponsored website)
https://web.archive.org/web/20130719181100/http://www.oregonstudentaid.gov/oda-degree-authorization-academic-unauthorized-Invalid.aspx
Friendly Face
10/10/15 4:50 am

Post Old Time Country Preacher
All a feller has gotta do is a little research an he will know whether somebody's degree is legitimate or not. An fellers, its a shame the "schools" some preachers is listin degrees from. Acts-pert Poster
10/10/15 5:40 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic