Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Recent Grad seeking Advice
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Recent Grad seeking Advice tdwayne
Question I recently graduated with my Bachelors degree and was wondering if I could get some direction on the best schools that the COG honor for grad degrees? I am looking toward getting my doctorate soon. I have applied at Vandy and Emory, I know that there are some COGs with advanced degrees from there. But, those seem like a lot of work.Exclamation Please advise. New Member
9/28/15 1:15 pm

Post Da Sheik
You'll need your Masters first. I guess it all depends on your area of emphasis. Are you looking to pursue administrative work or looking to pastor or are you already a pastor? Acts Enthusiast
9/28/15 1:20 pm

Post tdwayne
I am not a pastor. I want to go into administrative work. After my initial post, I started gathering information on the degrees of some COG admins and educators that I have heard of. From what I have gathered so far, it does not matter too much if you are admin. They will either give you an honorary or an unaccredited school is fine. But this is just a start. I guess if you are working in education it is more important to have accredited degrees.

Paul Conn - Masters and PhD from Emory (Georgia)

Raymond Culpepper - California Graduate School of Theology (unaccredited school in CA), Honorary Doctorate from Lee U

Dennis McGuire - Assemblies of God Theological Seminary, honorary doctorate from Lee U

Larry Hess - Masters from Radford College, Virginia, doctorate from Northwestern International University (Denmark)

Paul Walker - Georgia State

Donald Aultman - Stamford?

Rickie Moore - Vanderbilt (Tennessee)

David Roebuck - Vanderbilt (Tennessee)

Stephen Land - Emory (Georgia)

Lamar Vest-

J. David Stephens DD

Paul Schmidgall PhD

Dan Tomberlin D.Min

Wayne Flora D. Min

Don Bennett DMin

Dwain Pyeatt PhD Ohio State

Delton Alford - Phd Florida State University

Last edited by tdwayne on 9/28/15 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
9/28/15 1:49 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
I distinctly recall Dennis McGuire having an earned master's degree from Assemblies of God Theological Seminary. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/28/15 1:52 pm

Post tdwayne
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
I distinctly recall Dennis McGuire having an earned master's degree from Assemblies of God Theological Seminary.

Thank you. I will add that to my list.
9/28/15 2:15 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
Now, fellers, this whole thread is ironically interestin.

TD comes on Acts, a brand spankin new poster, an commences statin the source a folks docterates. An its not just the fact a statin the source a folks docterates, but the specific listin a the names is real interestin as well. Seventeen names, 5 a which don't have earned docterates.

Its real interestin at he knows the source a one particular fellers doctorate, an some of em like Paul Walker he don't know. At adds to the interestingness a this thread.

Yep, interestin............
Acts-pert Poster
9/28/15 2:16 pm

Post Link
If you want to do admin, are you looking for a theological degree? If it's not a theology degree, I'd imagine just about any reputable state or private university would work. Maybe for ministry, they'd prefer something that wasn't too liberal. But if you were doing business administration or something along those lines, there are a lot of options.

Grad school is usually hard, even if you don't go to a top name school. Trust me, I've gone to a school that ranked fairly highly and one that doesn't rank that high and both are hard. The smaller, less reputable programs sometimes aren't as well organized and don't offer the same support. So there are advantages to going to the higher profile schools with good rankings, too.
9/28/15 2:31 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
I don't think it matters where you get it. Just get it if you're called to. Acts-pert Poster
9/28/15 2:59 pm

Post c6thplayer1
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:

TD comes on Acts, a brand spankin new poster, an commences statin the source a folks docterates. An its not just the fact a statin the source a folks docterates, but the specific listin a the names is real interestin as well. Seventeen names, 5 a which don't have earned docterates.

Its real interestin at he knows the source a one particular fellers doctorate, an some of em like Paul Walker he don't know. At adds to the interestingness a this thread.

Hmmm My thoughts exactly.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
9/28/15 3:38 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
How do you not know Paul Walker has an earned PhD (Georgia State) and claim to be COG?

Hmmmm, as well.

Sounds like it was just a hit job on those that don't have them.
9/28/15 3:44 pm

Post tdwayne
Link wrote:
If you want to do admin, are you looking for a theological degree? If it's not a theology degree, I'd imagine just about any reputable state or private university would work. Maybe for ministry, they'd prefer something that wasn't too liberal. But if you were doing business administration or something along those lines, there are a lot of options.

Grad school is usually hard, even if you don't go to a top name school. Trust me, I've gone to a school that ranked fairly highly and one that doesn't rank that high and both are hard. The smaller, less reputable programs sometimes aren't as well organized and don't offer the same support. So there are advantages to going to the higher profile schools with good rankings, too.

Thank you for this information. I think this is very helpful. I may have more questions about particular schools soon as I am exploring them and want to get applications in before the end of the year.
9/28/15 4:26 pm

Post tdwayne
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
How do you not know Paul Walker has an earned PhD (Georgia State) and claim to be COG?

Hmmmm, as well.

I am not sure what you are implying, but I am a recent graduate and my pastor recommended that I ask on this site concerning some good ideas for schools. I have been in the COG all of my life but do not know these people's degrees. Most of them I got off of websites and a couple from Wikipedia. The blank ones are ones that I do not know. I will add Georgia State to my list. That is a good school near my family.

Thank you for the information.
9/28/15 4:30 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
tdwayne wrote:

Hmmmm, as well.

I am not sure what you are implying, but I am a recent graduate and my pastor recommended that I ask on this site concerning some good ideas for schools. I have been in the COG all of my life but do not know these people's degrees. Most of them I got off of websites and a couple from Wikipedia. The blank ones are ones that I do not know. I will add Georgia State to my list. That is a good school near my family.

Thank you for the information.

You're welcome

Pentecostal Theological Seminary has online programs.
9/28/15 4:32 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
If you live in Georgia, can you get HOPE for any of that? My daughter got her Master's at West Georgia at no charge. Acts-pert Poster
9/28/15 4:35 pm

Post tdwayne
Eddie Robbins wrote:
I don't think it matters where you get it. Just get it if you're called to.

Thanks. When talking to my college advisor before I graduated, she stated that I should talk with the organization that I want to work for to see what schools they usually hire from. I have spoken with someone from the School of Ministry. I think she was a secretary. She told me that I could find degrees on web pages. Then should took my number and said that someone would call me back. I found all of Lee University's and School of ministry. Even though School of ministry does not list where they list the degree.
9/28/15 4:39 pm

Post tdwayne

Confused
9/28/15 4:44 pm

Post tdwayne
Eddie Robbins wrote:
If you live in Georgia, can you get HOPE for any of that? My daughter got her Master's at West Georgia at no charge.

I used the HOPE for my undergrad at Kennesaw State, but I don't think I can use it for a Masters. I just realized that you said your daughter used it at WGa. I will need to look into that. Funny, I did my first year of undergrad a W.Ga.

Last edited by tdwayne on 9/28/15 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
9/28/15 4:48 pm

Post tdwayne

Pentecostal Theological Seminary has online programs.

I am not much of an online person. I took a couple of courses online at Kennesaw State and it was not good. Do they have doctorates in administrative degrees? Since I just graduated I can move to just about anywhere.
9/28/15 4:54 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
tdwayne wrote:
Dennis McGuire - Assemblies of God Theological Seminary, honorary doctorate from Lee U

Larry Hess - Masters from Radford College, Virginia, doctorate from Northwestern International University (Denmark)

tdwayne, if you don't mind the ole timer askin, the above degrees listed in these two feller's bio/cv/portfolio/etc., where is the website they are listed and named?
Acts-pert Poster
9/28/15 5:40 pm

Post tdwayne
tdwayne wrote:

tdwayne, if you don't mind the ole timer askin, the above degrees listed in these two feller's bio/cv/portfolio/etc., where is the website they are listed and named?

McGuire - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G._Dennis_McGuire and someone mentioned in this thread that he had a Masters from AGTS

Hess - I knew from books that he had one from Northwestern University. My pastor knew him from when he worked at School of Ministry. He never lived in Illinois so it wasn't from there. He said there used to be one in Denmark, Northwestern International University, and he got it from there while traveling. I heard he also he also has a PhD from William and Mary. I have not been able to confirm this.
If you must have a website then here's one for you. http://stsonline-edu.org/general-information/faculty/ that I just found. It seems to have a great deal more that I was looking for too. This ends up being a great resource for me.
9/28/15 6:29 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic