Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Does cussing bother you?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Does cussing bother you? Ernie Long
Didn't want to hijack RS's thread http://www.actscelerate.com/viewtopic.php?t=83668

I hear so much of it where I work, I don't pay much attention to it. There use to be a point years ago where I would ask the person cussing to try to speak without cussing so much and normally it worked. But now-a-days it seems cussing is just accepted and expected. People do know that I am a Pastor and after they cuss some do apologize, but I do get tired of hearing it and I wish just for one day not to hear a single cuss word.

Do you hear cussing on a regular basis?
Acts Enthusiast
9/28/15 12:55 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
What is cussing?

Some people get all bent out of shape when the "s" word is used but will say other words that mean the same. I'll tell you what bothers me. You already knew it.... People using the name of God when they are not talking about Him or to Him. But, that is not using it in vain. Using His name in vain is when you attribute something to God that He had nothing to do with.
Acts-pert Poster
9/28/15 12:59 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
It bothers me a lot when it comes from believers.

It doesn't really bother me from non-believers.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/28/15 1:13 pm

Post Da Sheik
Something to keep in mind as well, is that "cussing" largely depends on what part of the world you live in. Nevertheless, Christians ought to let their speech be becoming of a life in Christ.

Does it bother me? This might sound like moral relativism, but it bothers me more when I hear Christians use profanity. I expect those that don't know God to speak as though they don't. Doesn't mean that I enjoy it, but it doesn't surprise me.
Acts Enthusiast
9/28/15 1:13 pm

Post Re: Does cussing bother you? Link
Ernie Long wrote:
Didn't want to hijack RS's thread http://www.actscelerate.com/viewtopic.php?t=83668

I hear so much of it where I work, I don't pay much attention to it. There use to be a point years ago where I would ask the person cussing to try to speak without cussing so much and normally it worked. But now-a-days it seems cussing is just accepted and expected. People do know that I am a Pastor and after they cuss some do apologize, but I do get tired of hearing it and I wish just for one day not to hear a single cuss word.

Do you hear cussing on a regular basis?

It bothers me when people refer to God or Jesus in a disrespectful manner. Adults cussing around my children bothers me.

I was taking the kids to the zoo, and a couple of guys in their early 20's walked by, and right as they walked by, one of them dropped an F-bomb in his comment to his friend. I was surprised that I started to get a bit angry. I was thinking of telling him to watch his language around the kids, but he was gone, going the other way, and I figured it was better to leave it alone.

It also bothers me when people involved in the ministry cuss. I realize there are some cultural things with some blakcs being a bit more free with the word 'Hell' in their culture. I was watching some videos, not religious videos, but videos from a guy who does street evangelism overseas who has a Christian blog. And he dropped the F-bomb a couple of times, had the s-word in the title of a video, and made a joke insinuating that the women of that country were loose women. That sort of thing bothers me.
9/28/15 1:29 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
We heard someone say a cuss word at church Sunday.

Another parent asked my daughter if that bothered her.

She said "No", she was in the stands at the Gator game on Saturday. She heard some words that she was sure was cussing - but didn't know what they meant.
9/28/15 1:38 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
It's funny that the word "hell" is considered cussing by some. Acts-pert Poster
9/28/15 1:46 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Jesus said that out of the abundance/overflow of the heart, the mouth speaks. Yes it is troubling when anyone has the verbal moral equivalent of feces coming out of their mouth, especially when that person professes to be a follower of Jesus Christ. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/28/15 1:57 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
Paul started it with that "dung" comment. Acts-pert Poster
9/28/15 2:07 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
If its out in public I always try to handle it with a bit a humour. If me an momma comes up on a group a folk talkin trash, cussin an carryin on, I look em dead in the eye an say "You folk think ats cussin? You don't even know what cussin is." I then reach over an grab some cash outta momma's purse an tell her "Hey, this is mine." Then I let her go off on em wannabe cussers. By the time momma gits finished goin off on one a her Kentucky Kuss-Fits, hey, them wannabes just walk off shamed an red faced.

Course, momma does have to pray through bout ever other Sunday night.
Acts-pert Poster
9/28/15 2:08 pm

Post Link
Eddie Robbins wrote:
It's funny that the word "hell" is considered cussing by some.

Not if you are referring to the literal place.

But telling someone to go there is a curse in the Biblical sense of the word.
9/28/15 2:25 pm

Post Link
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
Jesus said that out of the abundance/overflow of the heart, the mouth speaks. Yes it is troubling when anyone has the verbal moral equivalent of feces coming out of their mouth, especially when that person professes to be a follower of Jesus Christ.

Jesus said fornications proceed out of the heart, too. Fornication is an f-word.
9/28/15 2:26 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
Jesus said that out of the abundance/overflow of the heart, the mouth speaks. Yes it is troubling when anyone has the verbal moral equivalent of feces coming out of their mouth, especially when that person professes to be a follower of Jesus Christ.

I agree with Wyatt!
Acts-pert Poster
9/28/15 2:30 pm

Post JLarry
Yes!!!

If I start to watch a movie and they start cursing I change the channel.

I wanted to see the movie about the sniper but refused to hear the language I hear was in it.

No one who died without Christ is happy about their decision.
Acts Mod
9/28/15 2:34 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Link wrote:
Quiet Wyatt wrote:

Jesus said fornications proceed out of the heart, too.

Yes, all sin originates and proceeds out of the heart. (For example, see Matt. 15:18-19).
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/28/15 2:41 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
Link wrote:
Eddie Robbins wrote:
It's funny that the word "hell" is considered cussing by some.

Not if you are referring to the literal place.

But telling someone to go there is a curse in the Biblical sense of the word.

Telling someone to go there is the literal use of it. Im talking about saying something like "hell yeah!" That is probably the way it is used the most. That is not cussing in my opinion, although, it is inappropriate.
Acts-pert Poster
9/28/15 2:56 pm

Post c6thplayer1
Its a definite sign of lower intelligence. Dont really like to be around folks that cuss , especially in church where I will confront them about their use of words in the Lords house. Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
9/28/15 3:42 pm

Post Ventureforth
Eddie Robbins wrote:
What is cussing?

I'll tell you what bothers me. You already knew it.... People using the name of God when they are not talking about Him or to Him. But, that is not using it in vain. Using His name in vain is when you attribute something to God that He had nothing to do with.

Misusing God's name really bothers me too. God's name is something that should be held in reverence.

NBF wrote:
Quote:
We heard someone say a cuss word at church Sunday.

Another parent asked my daughter if that bothered her.

She said "No", she was in the stands at the Gator game on Saturday. She heard some words that she was sure was cussing - but didn't know what they meant.

I don't approve of cussing but I can understand it it little more if one is at a Gator's game. Wink

I think some words that used to be considered ordinary, now carry a lot of baggage and are commonly and almost exclusively associated with something vulgar.

Quote:
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Ephesians 4:29
Acts-celerater
9/28/15 4:38 pm

Post deltaman
c6thplayer1 wrote:
Its a definite sign of lower intelligence. Dont really like to be around folks that cuss , especially in church where I will confront them about their use of words in the Lords house.

i'm not sure about the intelligence level, but it is a reflection of something lacking in their lives. For some reason the trend toward sensationalism and shock is becoming the norm for entertaining our congregations.
9/29/15 7:56 pm

Post mytimewillcome
1) have you actually been in the world that exists outside the parsonage?

2) what are the eternal/spiritual consequences of not engaging those who use "cuss" words?
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
9/29/15 8:47 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic