Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Is Roman Catholicism the Christian Tradition at its Best?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Is Roman Catholicism the Christian Tradition at its Best? Quiet Wyatt
What do you think? [Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/26/15 2:42 pm

Post mytimewillcome
If using the Webster's definition of tradition, then YES.

I also place the Orthodox Church in the same category. They were one and the same until 1054 A.D.
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
10/26/15 3:12 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
If one believes it is, why would not one convert? [Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/26/15 3:15 pm

Post Re: Is Roman Catholicism the Christian Tradition at its Best? John Jett
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
What do you think?

I think I fixed the sentence.

At its best, Roman Catholicism is (barely) Christian tradition.
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
10/26/15 3:28 pm

Post Just Because Something is Christian Tradition FG Minister
Doesn't mean it is Biblically correct. There are lots of "Christian" traditions that wouldn't hold up to Biblical scrutiny - yet they are held by Christians. Having a church building isn't found in scripture, they met in houses; yet it's viewed as OK. Having a lead pastor in a church is not found in scripture, but that's what most of us do. These are just two examples and there are many others. But these seem to be generally accepted since they don't violate or change any doctrine of scripture.

For Catholics, they have traditions that are not in the Bible at all - praying to saints, the rosary, confession to a priest, annulments, indulgences, lighting candles, etc. They are all traditions of a "Christian" church, but in my opinion, quite wrong and deceptive.

Tradition. I'm sure you know the story about the woman who always cut off one end of her hams before baking them. When asked why, she said she didn't know, but that is what her mother always did. She asked her mother why she did it. Mom said "I don't know, that's what my mother always did. So she went to grandmother who didn't know why she did it either. So she ended up at her aging great-grandmother and asked her "why did you chop off the end of your hams before baking them? She said "because my pan was too short." Tradition.
Acts-celerater
10/29/15 7:49 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
What prompted the question in my mind was listening to the Lee Chapel eschatology service that was linked here recently. A Lee professor referred to "the Christian tradition, at its best..." and then would quote or refer to the experiences of Aquinas or some other Roman Catholics.

To my understanding, "the Christian tradition" includes basically everything within mainstream, historic Christianity, which would of course include Roman Catholicism. As a lifelong avid student of history, I have appreciated a lot of what I have read of Aquinas and other Catholic writers, but I just wouldn't be comfortable saying that any Roman Catholic writer represented the BEST of the Christian tradition. (Not saying Pentecostals necessarily represent the best of the Christian tradition, either).

Last edited by Quiet Wyatt on 10/29/15 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/29/15 12:35 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
What prompted the question in my mind was listening to the Lee Chapel eschatology service that was linked here recently. A Lee professor referred to "the Christian tradition, at its best.

Wyatt, I watched at eskatology service to. That first feller what was wearin the clerical collar an cross hangin on long chain an who made the sign a the cross like Catholics do, who was at? Is he Catholic? An if so, does he teach at Lee? Or was he just dressed up like a priest? I wondered about at cause I don't know.
Acts-pert Poster
10/29/15 1:52 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
I only have been able to watch the first 40 minutes so far, OTCP. I believe the first speaker was Dr. Christopher Stephenson.

After listening to the first two speakers, I have to say that I never thought a sermon devoted to the subject of the end times at a Pentecostal college could possibly be boring, but now...
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/29/15 3:08 pm

Post Christopher Stephenson
I am not Catholic. I am a COG bishop. I occasionally wear a collar when I teach at Lee and preach. I wear the crucifix every day.

My comments about “the Christian tradition at its best” referred to the three main points/”disbeliefs.” When at its best, the Christian tradition denies 1) that life after death does not include the body; 2) that only the body is resurrected; and 3) that death in and of itself is victory.

The figures I listed (but did not name) were in reference to the kind of “selves” that will be resurrected—eight examples total.

Four are pre-Reformation figures that belong to the heritage of all Western church traditions. One is a late medieval/early modern figure most closely associated with the Catholic tradition. Three were contemporary examples.

I did not single out any particular church tradition as “the Christian tradition at its best,” although I think the original question in this thread is a good question.
Friendly Face
11/2/15 10:06 pm

Post Cojak
I have no idea.
I know very little about the Catholic Church but I know four Catholics who have Exacting Christian Values, and display Christ in their lives.
The question in the OP and dress of ministers and priests have no bearing on my life.
To be honest, I guess the question in the OP is above my head.

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
11/2/15 10:20 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic