Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Reaching out to the "Gay Community"
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Reaching out to the "Gay Community" Resident Skeptic
It amazes me all this emphasis now on "reaching out to the gay COMMUNITY" as if they constitute a legitimate "community" like Asians or Hispanics.

This type of legitimizing from the church was just the beginning of sorrows.

To those who invoke the "all sin is the same" blather, I'd like to know when you are going to start reaching out to the other "communities" Paul mentioned in I Corinthians 6:9-11, lifestyles he says will never enter the Kingdom?
"Wrongdoers, Sexually immoral, idolaters, adulterers, homosexuals, thieves, greedy, drunkards, swindlers, slanderers, extortioners".

Why no emphasis on "reaching out" to those "communities"? Why is the "all sin is equal" crowd exalting one group of sinners over another and legitimizing their community as one who is worthy of special "outreach"? Why do we never hear them defending the "Christian extortioner"? "Oh brother Vinny here is a Christian extortioner who is growing and learning." Such nonsense would be laughed at. But that is EXACTLY what churches are doing with gays, and they are actually afraid to list gays with the rest of the sinners Paul listed because, "I know gays who never steal, extort or get drunk".

Wake up PASTORS!! This is not the church's fault. It's the fault of spineless PASTORS!!
9/5/15 10:49 am

Post Nick Park
I came to Christ in 1981 because the Salvation Army reached out to the drunkard community that I was a part of.

I thank God daily for the "spineless Pastor" who spent countless hours praying with me, counselling me and keeping believing me through my struggles and backslidings.

I have also been privileged to minister in churches in Roma gypsy camps in Europe that were known as communities of thieves. On one occasion, while walking to the church with the pastor, he told me, "If you were to try walking down this road on your own you would be mugged before you reached ten yards. The police only come here in groups of 7 or 8."

As for greedy communities? Doesn't that pretty well describe much of our consumerist society?

I have made a commitment to God to continue sharing Jesus with sinners - and that includes drunkard communities who live in cardboard boxes under bridges, adulterous communities where over 50% of the population are divorced and remarried, thieves communities, greedy communities that would slam the door in the faces of refugees from ISIS, communities of idolators who are steeped in Hinduism, and even homosexual communities. And if that makes someone characterize me as spineless then I guess that's something I'll have to learn to live with.

http://eaiseanchai.wordpress.com/
Acts Enthusiast
9/5/15 11:07 am

Post Resident Skeptic
Nick Park wrote:
I came to Christ in 1981 because the Salvation Army reached out to the drunkard community that I was a part of.

I thank God daily for the "spineless Pastor" who spent countless hours praying with me, counselling me and keeping believing me through my struggles and backslidings.

I have also been privileged to minister in churches in Roma gypsy camps in Europe that were known as communities of thieves. On one occasion, while walking to the church with the pastor, he told me, "If you were to try walking down this road on your own you would be mugged before you reached ten yards. The police only come here in groups of 7 or 8."

As for greedy communities? Doesn't that pretty well describe much of our consumerist society?

I have made a commitment to God to continue sharing Jesus with sinners - and that includes drunkard communities who live in cardboard boxes under bridges, adulterous communities where over 50% of the population are divorced and remarried, thieves communities, greedy communities that would slam the door in the faces of refugees from ISIS, communities of idolators who are steeped in Hinduism, and even homosexual communities. And if that makes someone characterize me as spineless then I guess that's something I'll have to learn to live with.

The Bible does recognize or legitimize "drunkard communities". You came to Christ as an individual because someone reached out to you as an individual regardless of what your particular sin was. I don't hear the church saying, "we need to recognize the good contribution the drunkard community makes to society" like they are doing with gays.
9/5/15 11:15 am

Post Eddie Robbins
If God lays it on my heart to reach out to a community, i will do it regardless of what any man says to me. There is a community that I reach out to now and I have never sought the approval of anyone on a discussion board. It's between me and God. Acts-pert Poster
9/5/15 11:35 am

Post Resident Skeptic
Eddie Robbins wrote:
If God lays it on my heart to reach out to a community, i will do it regardless of what any man says to me. There is a community that I reach out to now and I have never sought the approval of anyone on a discussion board. It's between me and God.

Certainly people are anointed at times to reach a certain segment. That's fine. But the goal is to get those people out of that segment, correct? Instead some in the church are subconsciously legitimizing those "communities", or should I say, a particular community.
9/5/15 12:26 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
You are wrong here RS.

The gay community does excel at certain things. What is wrong with pointing out any good characteristic you can find?

And..the drunkard, bar community excels at accepting you as you are. You can buld on that. You want to get someone open to your viewpoint - compliment what you can first. Why get them close minded before you ever present Jesus to them?
9/5/15 1:01 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
You are wrong here RS.

The gay community does excel at certain things. What is wrong with pointing out any good characteristic you can find?

And..the drunkard, bar community excels at accepting you as you are. You can buld on that. You want to get someone open to your viewpoint - compliment what you can first. Why get them close minded before you ever present Jesus to them?

There you go. You are legitimizing those committing sin that biblically keeps them out of heaven as a "community" that deserves to recognized as such. Then you are going to tell them they must leave that community to be saved. That sends mixed signals and is compromise.

To be fair, you need to start an outreach to the mafia extortionist community in New York. Put up a sign that says, "Jesus loves extortionists and so do we! Come fellowship with us in a non-confrontational atmosphere". After all, those extortionists have done a lot of good things do their community and should be recognized for that. Then when one of your members or staff is extorted by one his "brethren", you can gently explain that we should not judge him because it takes awhile to grow and mature and overcome the extortionist lifestyle. Rolling Eyes
9/5/15 2:14 pm

Post philunderwood
I feel that all of this makes God cry. Just LOVE sinners, saints, are's and aint's. Quit drawing lines and live like you believe the heart of the Father. Be the Gospel.

Discover More...
http://www.refocusing.org

A Mission in Formation
www.bluewaterinthekeys.com
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
9/6/15 12:55 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
Phil is right, just love are's and aint's.

Any a yall reachin out to folk involved in beastiality?

Or pedophiles who like young'uns 2 years old and younger?
Acts-pert Poster
9/6/15 1:10 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
What is wrong with pointing out any good characteristic you can find?

Ya gotta find a good characteristic first don't ya?
Acts-pert Poster
9/6/15 1:13 pm

Post Cojak
I believe MOST folk who express that common statement, "Reach out to a Community", are referring to Sinners, folk they know and love who may be or are/ or think they are homosexual. They are reaching out to SINNERS.

An unpardonable sin is stated in scripture, but is hard to specifically define in today's complicated world, but I do not think it is being GAY!

I know gay folk and I do love them dearly. I cry for them I pray for them, they know my stand, but it is in love and they know that. We talk, joke, visit and have dinner together on occasion. We do not run in the same circles, but our paths cross. I STILL HOLD OUT HOPE, I never give up because I love them. I know Christ does. Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
9/6/15 2:11 pm

Post Cojak
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
Phil is right, just love are's and aint's.

Any a yall reachin out to folk involved in beastiality?

Or pedophiles who like young'uns 2 years old and younger?

Nah OT we just want to kill them and clear the air. Send them to Hell, it just takes one cap, and they are history. Shocked

That is said in sick jest. I do know there are times I see no hope for the pedophile, but God is the judge of that. I also know at least one man who is listed as a pedophile who IS NOT! (I deleted the story and explanation)
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
9/6/15 2:21 pm

Post Jesus? wahoo
If Jesus came, not for the well, but for the sick, how is it that some think we should expend all our energy only on those already well and avoid, put down, criticize and condemn to hell, those who are still sick? Acts-celerater
9/6/15 5:57 pm

Post c6thplayer1
Res , the barking dog gets the bone. Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
9/6/15 7:00 pm

Post Re: Jesus? Resident Skeptic
wahoo wrote:
If Jesus came, not for the well, but for the sick, how is it that some think we should expend all our energy only on those already well and avoid, put down, criticize and condemn to hell, those who are still sick?

Whose doing that?

But as to your point, if those that are sick refuse to admit they are sick, then how can they be cured? It seems now that proclaiming the diagnosis constitutes "putting them down".
9/7/15 9:04 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
Why get them close minded before you ever present Jesus to them?

What part of this didn't you understand RS?

Jesus is the answer.

Don't have them close minded to anything you say - before you get a chance to say it.

How often does "turn or burn" work as a greeting to a sinner?
9/7/15 11:08 am

Post Resident Skeptic
Why get them close minded before you ever present Jesus to them?

What part of this didn't you understand RS?

Jesus is the answer.

Don't have them close minded to anything you say - before you get a chance to say it.

How often does "turn or burn" work as a greeting to a sinner?

I have no problem with that line of reasoning. I'm just against legitimizing their "community". Though one might feel a unique call to evangelize gays, they should be witnessed to as any other individual sinners.

And in the end they will have to told their sin is an affront to God, just like my sin was.
9/7/15 11:30 am

Post dolfan
Acknowledging some group as a "community", per se, legitimizes the thing that they commune around in the first place. Rhetorically, that is RS's point, I think. And, it puts the church to speaking from both sides of its mouth to use the legitimizing language of "community" only to then say "this community must repent of what unites it" or "repent and follow Jesus away from this community".

Is the church's use of the word "community" in this way important? RS thinks it is, and I am not sure he is wrong. We do empower whatever collective "the gays" are when we use their own language to describe them. It is not merely passive talk. Groups choose words by usage to label themselves as they see themselves. They choose words that embolden their choices of how to live. Homosexuals especially use language this way, but by no means are they unique.

We do not blink at their adoption of a word -- community -- that the church applies to itself! We ratify them, in fact. Now, not that we can or should stop them. But, to RS's point, should we just approve it? Are we thinking not only of homosexuals but any other cultural conglomeration of sinners incorrectly? Are we short sighted in our effort to be winsome that we are not careful to distinguish who they are from our own ideas of who we are? Because, frankly, it seems they have won the day against the church in America and that we are bending over backwards to yield the language to them. It matters because words give the shape to our thoughts.

I see his point. If he is wrong, then we owe the pedophile, necrophile, and wife-beating communities formal apologies and we need to send ambassadors to them to make peace immediately.
9/7/15 2:55 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
dolfan wrote:
Acknowledging some group as a "community", per se, legitimizes the thing that they commune around in the first place. Rhetorically, that is RS's point, I think. And, it puts the church to speaking from both sides of its mouth to use the legitimizing language of "community" only to then say "this community must repent of what unites it" or "repent and follow Jesus away from this community".

Is the church's use of the word "community" in this way important? RS thinks it is, and I am not sure he is wrong. We do empower whatever collective "the gays" are when we use their own language to describe them. It is not merely passive talk. Groups choose words by usage to label themselves as they see themselves. They choose words that embolden their choices of how to live. Homosexuals especially use language this way, but by no means are they unique.

We do not blink at their adoption of a word -- community -- that the church applies to itself! We ratify them, in fact. Now, not that we can or should stop them. But, to RS's point, should we just approve it? Are we thinking not only of homosexuals but any other cultural conglomeration of sinners incorrectly? Are we short sighted in our effort to be winsome that we are not careful to distinguish who they are from our own ideas of who we are? Because, frankly, it seems they have won the day against the church in America and that we are bending over backwards to yield the language to them. It matters because words give the shape to our thoughts.

I see his point. If he is wrong, then we owe the pedophile, necrophile, and wife-beating communities formal apologies and we need to send ambassadors to them to make peace immediately.

Thank you for articulating my feelings in a away that I did not seem to able to.
9/7/15 3:22 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
Gay communities are legal, as law abiding as straight folks. The pedophile community, whatever that is and the wife-beating community, whatever that is, are not legal, legitimate communities in this country. But, we always go to the extreme to attempt at making a point. Look, you don't reall give 2 rips about the homosexual communtiy, so just continue doing what you're doing and leave those who do care and are reaching out in the love of Jesus alone. Acts-pert Poster
9/7/15 4:12 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic