Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

What is an appropriate gift for an outgoing State Overseer?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Old Time Country Preacher
SouthGeorgiaBoy wrote:
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
SouthGeorgiaBoy wrote:
I think the goad was around $25,000. The goad was reached and he was blessed.

You South Georgia fellers should notta goaded Bro Sanders. Cool

Hahahahaha OTCP! I like to "goad" overseers. It was Garner, not Sanders! Smile

Ooops, sorry!
Acts-pert Poster
5/25/14 12:58 am

Post TN Overseer cogalltheway
I was just sent a message by a friend informing me of the gifts that the overseer of Tennessee is being given, by the state council, from the state funds, for two years of service in TN but also a total of 12yrs as an overseer. If it is true He is being BLESSED by the good people of TN and their council. I am investigating this before I post the gifts and the amount of money being given, as I do not want to post bad info. I saw where one of the TN state councilmen posted here on Acts earlier so maybe he will enlighten us on the process. Friendly Face
5/27/14 9:02 pm

Post I think Tom's suggestion is good... Clint Wills
It is hard to give one really firm answer for every state. I believe that North Georgia has 250+ churches, where the PNW has between 80 and 90 I think. Further, MOST of the pastors in the PNW depend on outside income (either a job or retirement income) for their living.
I do think that some gift is warranted. Many churches do something for pastor appreciation, so we can do the same for our state overseers. I also know, however, that they make a very good wage and have very few expenses. Many of them have another home that they are buying for retirement because they have a good income without any housing expense as a SO.

If it were me I'd be thrilled with a really nice watch...but I'm kinda a watch geek!!
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
5/27/14 9:54 pm

Post So far it's true cogalltheway
I have confirmed that the gift that the overseer is getting is true. I'm now waiting to find out if the monetary gift is true as well. Friendly Face
5/28/14 8:37 am

Post Cogalltheway C. Chris Moody
Tennessee is doing what of has always been done according to what the council was told. Don Walker has been with us four years. I believe prior to that he spent almost 5 years because he came in the middle of a term as our overseer in the early nineties. He also served our state as youth director years ago for four years. He also served in our state as seminary president. This is his last appointment as overseer. His tenure of twelve years is completed. Tennessee furnishes a car for the overseer. After the fours years is complete, the overseer is given the car. Remember the car depreciates quickly especially with the miles put on them. BTW we are no longer furnishing a car or paying mileage. In our last meeting we voted to quit buying cars and give the overseer a car allowance. This is much better for the state.

A letter is being mailed this week from the council encouraging pastors to bless the Walkers. We will be honoring them with a free will offering one night of campmeeting. He has been loyal and faithful to our state. We felt it would be good to give the ministers and churches an opportunity to show their love and support. Several of us committed to give in this offering and we have a goal of an amount. However the state funds will only be giving if our goal is not reached. Furthermore, we put a cap on the amount coming from state funds. The cap is minimal and we will reach our goal. It is not extravagant. There was plenty of discussion.

At the end of the day we all felt like we should have the ministers and churches respond in an offering. The Walkers are the only overseers I know of who have served a four year term and then came back years later and served four more.
Belt Jerker
5/28/14 9:52 am

Post Chris cogalltheway
I have always looked up to you but now with your transparency on the two issues i asked about I really hold you in high regards. Bless you my brother in Christ. Friendly Face
5/28/14 11:14 am

Post 2ndgeneration
Not only is Tennessee honoring Dr. Walker for four years of service in TN and twelve years as an overseer, they are also honoring him for over fifty years of service to the Kingdom of God through the Church of God.

When a pastor, overseer, or any other ministry position moves from one location to another, they are not starting over. We are one church that ministers in many areas and locations. We honor them for their service to the church as a whole.

I commend Tennessee for what they do to show appreciation to this faithful ministerial couple. I served as a pastor and council member under the Walkers in North Georgia. He certainly deserves the honor and recognition given to him.

T Powell
Acts Enthusiast
5/28/14 11:47 am

Post T. Powell and Chris Moody cogalltheway
T. Powell, Aren't you an overseer somewhere out west?

TP and CM,
Do you think it is extravagant to give a man a 3 to 4 year old Cadillac that was probably in the cost range of 55-70 thousand dollars as a gift from an institution that is struggling financially and facing another round of cuts? I understand that this is what was done in the past, I understand that this is the way it's always been done, but is it the right thing to do right now in this climate?

Even the Pope dropped the Mercedes as his pope mobile and got a Ford Fusion...LOL! He even thinks his "parsonage" is too much for him and lives in a hotel room. Some COG AB's think the state parsonage is beneath them. LOL. Smile

(Thinking out loud here...I hope you hear my heart not just my typed words) I sometimes wonder if the Lord is happy with the way we use HIS money? Shouldn't we be sending trucks and cars to missionaries who need it for ministry context in their country instead of giving a car to a person who can afford one? Should our orphanages be struggling while we drop $50-75 thousand on a retiring AB who has been in administration long enough to retire well?

As a whole, most state offices, are in debt, cutting staff members, cutting salaries, cutting ministries, selling camp grounds, etc and are facing another half of a percent cut this September. Sometimes I just think we have gotten out of line and maybe this TOT cut will FORCE us to quit the lavish spending that has went on so long.
Friendly Face
5/28/14 12:24 pm

Post Cogallway C. Chris Moody
The council spoke in detail about this. Every man in that room spoke. Every detail that has been shared here was expressed in that room. The car as I have stated is given after an overseer has served four years. The one exception was JDavid Stephens. We were told he only served a two year term so they sold him the car. I was not on council during that time, but that is what we are told.

One more time the car was not brand new. Cars depreciate quickly. I and the entire council are tired of us being in the car business. We should not be having to make a decision on should we give them the used car. This is precisely why we got out of the mileage and car and maintenance business. We are now going to give a car allowance. No mileage, no maintenance, no insurance. He can drive whatever he desires.

I agree wholeheartedly on your assessments of the current cuts. It was expressed loud and clear by not just me but the entire council. I have expressed multiple concerns along with others about cuts, the effect of cuts, etc. I will not divulge everything but just know this...your concerns were expressed in that room. In the end Dr walker has served our state with excellence. He has navigated us through some turbulent times. He has steadied this ship on two different occasions. The first of which, was a moral failure in the early nineties. He is not some dude that just came in for a few years and blew out. They are part of the Tennessee COG family. I would gladly welcome any more questions at 423-280-8247. There is nothing to hide here. Nothing shady or unethical was done. One last thing Dr. Walker had absolutely nothing to do with this meeting. He wasn't in the room when we discussed and voted.
Disclaimer: I'm sitting in DMV office trying to help my daughter get her permit. This is probably sloppy being done on my phone. I'm also having to watch these characters out of the corner of my eye. They are checking my daughter out and I was afraid to bring my gun into this place:)

Last edited by C. Chris Moody on 5/28/14 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Belt Jerker
5/28/14 3:06 pm

Post Chris cogalltheway
Thanks for answering! You're a kind man! Friendly Face
5/28/14 3:43 pm

Post Re: T. Powell and Chris Moody georgiapath
cogalltheway wrote:

TP and CM,
Do you think it is extravagant to give a man a 3 to 4 year old Cadillac that was probably in the cost range of 55-70 thousand dollars as a gift from an institution that is struggling financially and facing another round of cuts? I understand that this is what was done in the past, I understand that this is the way it's always been done, but is it the right thing to do right now in this climate?

Even the Pope dropped the Mercedes as his pope mobile and got a Ford Fusion...LOL! He even thinks his "parsonage" is too much for him and lives in a hotel room. Some COG AB's think the state parsonage is beneath them. LOL. Smile

(Thinking out loud here...I hope you hear my heart not just my typed words) I sometimes wonder if the Lord is happy with the way we use HIS money? Shouldn't we be sending trucks and cars to missionaries who need it for ministry context in their country instead of giving a car to a person who can afford one? Should our orphanages be struggling while we drop $50-75 thousand on a retiring AB who has been in administration long enough to retire well?

As a whole, most state offices, are in debt, cutting staff members, cutting salaries, cutting ministries, selling camp grounds, etc and are facing another half of a percent cut this September. Sometimes I just think we have gotten out of line and maybe this TOT cut will FORCE us to quit the lavish spending that has went on so long.

Didn't the Walkers walk away with about $50,000 when they left North Georgia?
Acts-dicted
5/29/14 4:20 am

Post Re: T. Powell and Chris Moody J David Smith
georgiapath wrote:
cogalltheway wrote:

TP and CM,

No
Friendly Face
5/29/14 8:12 am

Post What do most of the pastor's get when they retire? roughridercog
Just match the AB's gift with that. Laughing
5/29/14 12:01 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
They is a over 1200 folk looked at this thread, I wonder how many of em is AB's? Wink Acts-pert Poster
5/29/14 12:10 pm

Post Re: T. Powell and Chris Moody Old Time Country Preacher
cogalltheway wrote:
Even the Pope dropped the Mercedes as his pope mobile and got a Ford Fusion! He even thinks his "parsonage" is too much for him and lives in a hotel room.

But the Vatican is paid for! Aint it costin the Roman Catholic church extra to pay fer that hotel room?
Acts-pert Poster
5/29/14 12:13 pm

Post Re: T. Powell and Chris Moody TN MusicMan
georgiapath wrote:
cogalltheway wrote:

TP and CM,

Not sure how much the "love gift" ended up being, but it certainly was requested. It was discussed pretty well here at Actscelerate at the time someone requested the $50k gift from the state.
Hey, DOC
5/29/14 6:14 pm

Post Re: T. Powell and Chris Moody 2ndgeneration
TN MusicMan wrote:
georgiapath wrote:
cogalltheway wrote:

TP and CM,

Not sure how much the "love gift" ended up being, but it certainly was requested. It was discussed pretty well here at Actscelerate at the time someone requested the $50k gift from the state.

I was on the council at the time that the Walkers were leaving N. Georgia and transitioning to Tennessee. I can tell you that $50k was never requested to the council. Churches in the state were asked to send in a love gift if they desired as a going away for the Walkers. I do not know what the final total was that came in. But I can tell you that whatever it was came from churches and not the state fund.
Acts Enthusiast
5/29/14 9:39 pm

Post Re: T. Powell and Chris Moody J David Smith
2ndgeneration wrote:
TN MusicMan wrote:
georgiapath wrote:
cogalltheway wrote:

TP and CM,

I was on the council at the time that the Walkers were leaving N. Georgia and transitioning to Tennessee. I can tell you that $50k was never requested to the council. Churches in the state were asked to send in a love gift if they desired as a going away for the Walkers. I do not know what the final total was that came in. But I can tell you that whatever it was came from churches and not the state fund.

Tommy,

I believe that "georgiapath" is mistaking the gift that was given to the Walkers at their 50th anniversary of marriage and ministry as a "going away" gift. Most of that gift was given to them from the constituents of North Georgia as an offering.

Dr. Walker did not even know himself that he was leaving North Georgia until the 2010 General Assembly. Once he returned from the General Assembly, the state leadership quickly arranged a time of celebration of the Walker's ministry in North Georgia. Each pastor was asked to consider bringing a gift from their local congregations. I remember bringing an offering from our church. They loved Dr. Walker and gave cheerfully and generously. Whatever the total amount was that was given, it was well deserved.

I am very happy that Tennessee is taking the opportunity to bless their Bishop. I have known Don Walker since he was my state youth director in Tennessee in the early 1980's. He is worthy of double honor.
Friendly Face
5/29/14 10:52 pm

Post Walker's being blessed. cogalltheway
Walker's Gift Package from Tennessee:

1. The black Cadillac that was purchased around 2010-2011:

2. Camp Meeting/Church Offering: goal $25,000

3. Banquet given in their honor at North Cleveland with the TN ministerial family and other special guests invited: $10,000 possibly more

Is this correct? If so I'd say that they have been honored well by our great Volunteer State. Great couple and 56 yrs of service to the Church. Blessings to the Walkers.
Friendly Face
6/1/14 7:05 am

Post Cogalltheway C. Chris Moody
Can I ask why you continue to pound this drum? I have been extremely nice in trying to respond. You state I have received an email and I'm going to work on verification. I'm on the state council. I was in the meeting. It was discussed in detail without walkers being in the room. You are not correct on some of your information.

We are giving him the car. We have done this every time an overseer has served four years. The exception to this rule was JDS. He served two years and we sold him the car. We changed policy and got out of car business. He will now receive an allowance for a vehicle. We will not have mileage to pay, maintenance or insurance.

The amount you have given is incorrect and I'm guessing you knew that to get me to respond. Our goal is not 25, it is less than that. We are trying to encourage pastors and churches to give in an offering at campmeeting. I received my letter from the state council this past week. It's extremely inappropriate to speculate on the amount. Let the churches and pastors give out of the goodness of their heart. If we get 50000 every dime will go to them. Please do not try to sow a negative image of our state and me personally as a council member, and the rest of my brothers who serve TN. We mulled this over for almost an hour of discussion. Our maximum amount from state funds will not exceed 10000. If we are 2 thousand short of our goal we will give 2000. If it's 10 we will give 9990.

The banquet is a going away celebration. According to the report from our chairman...aka Gerald McGinnis, we have cut back on the meal functions throughout the week. There will be a banquet that will not exceed the campmeeting budgets from previous years. Many other things were cut back to honor the Walkers for their 50 plus years of ministry.

I do not know you cogalltheway. I do think you should give this a rest. I am trying my best to hear your heart through a keyboard without a real name. I invite you as I did earlier to personally call me 423-280-8247. I will not speak any more to this because I have told you the absolute truth. Good men sat around that table and discussed this whole situation in detail. I can tell you the field was represented well and the comments that have been shared here were shared in that setting. Tennessee has a variety of personalities who sit around that table. We have a retired minister, we have a pastor who pastors a church of around 50, and then, well we have the one and only Kevin Wallace:) btw Wallace you could come out any time and verify or call me a liar on my info:)). A little help from the brethren would be nice:). I know you all read it, some of you have called me:)
Belt Jerker
6/1/14 10:32 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.