Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Where does the Bible say it is always God's will to heal?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Where does the Bible say it is always God's will to heal? Quiet Wyatt
Many make that claim. Let us examine the biblical evidence for such a claim, please. As much as it depends on us, let us be at peace with all men (see Rom 12:18) as we examine this central claim of the Word of Faith message in light of Scripture, Reason, and Experience. (No one ever examines Scripture apart from God-given Reason and Experience, by the way). [Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/8/14 12:00 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
It don't!!! Acts-pert Poster
4/8/14 12:06 pm

Post Some Say Mark Hardgrove
I understand the nature of the question. I'm sure it's rhetorical, with the answer implied by the questioner in the question. However, let me give you the response from those who do believe healing is available in every situation (and I'm not saying I agree, but I just want to give voice to those who do).

First, it is argued the Jesus healed everyone he touched. Once He touched the man twice to open the blinded eyes, but even he was healed (Mk. 8:22-26). From the example of Jesus it is extrapolated that because He said "Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and greater works than these he will do, because I go to My Father" (Jn. 14:12, NKJV), that if we have faith as ministers and disciples we too can heal everyone we pray for if they also have faith.

Second, many believe (and some early COG officials published this) that healing is provided in the atonement. We may still hold to this, but some argued that just as all you have to do to be saved is ask and believe, then all that is required to receive the healing that has already been provided in the cross, is to ask and receive. Some go even further and say that if you are saved then you are already healed and all you have to do is "receive" it. What is their support?

Isaiah 53:5, NKJV
But He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities; The chastisement for our peace was upon Him, And by His stripes we are healed.

1 Peter 2:24, NKJV
who Himself bore our sins in His own body on the tree, that we, having died to sins, might live for righteousness—by whose stripes you were healed.

They will note that after the cross the verb changes from "are healed" to "were healed," indicating that the healing is an accomplished fact that requires only our faith to appropriate what is already finished at Calvary.

And many will point to Psalm 103

1Bless the Lord, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name.
2 Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits:
3 Who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases; (KJV)

I know this is proof texting, and I know that I can explain all of these passages without arguing that we are always guaranteed healing if we have faith, but for many these few examples (and there are more) are very powerful and convince them that as believers they are always and in every circumstance promised divine healing/health without exception. However, life has a way of straightening out bad theology.
Dean & VP for Academics at BHU
http://www.beulah.org/
Acts-celerater
4/8/14 2:17 pm

Post bradfreeman
Toss this one in too Mark:

James 5:14 Is anyone among you sick? Then he must call for the elders of the church and they are to pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord; 15 and the prayer offered in faith will restore the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up, and if he has committed sins, they will be forgiven him.

My website: www.bradfreeman.com
My blog: http://bradcfreeman.tumblr.com/
Acts-dicted
4/8/14 9:22 pm

Post It "says" it with Jesus' ministry Aaron Scott
No verse that says He is willing to heal all--though it certainly seems odd that He is willing to SAVE ALL, but not willing to heal all. You'd think saving was the bigger deal.

But to be fair, there is no verse to the contrary, either.

Jesus' ministry showed that He healed all that came to Him. That is not meaningless. It is something we should ASPIRE to, even if we have not attained it.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
4/9/14 4:43 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
Mark,

I wish for us to examine this claim in the light of Scripture. The Bible either reveals that it is always God's will to heal or it doesn't. The question of my sincerity in asking is irrelevant to the question I ask here, but in any case I am truly sincere in asking this question. This question and its answer will have great application and impact upon our lives and ministries.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/9/14 9:35 am

Post The Bible makes clear that .. Rafael D Martinez
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
Mark,

I wish for us to examine this claim in the light of Scripture. The Bible either reveals that it is always God's will to heal or it doesn't. The question of my sincerity in asking is irrelevant to the question I ask here, but in any case I am truly sincere in asking this question. This question and its answer will have great application and impact upon our lives and ministries.

.. the provision for divine healing, the source from where it comes from, is from God and manifest out of the atonement at the Cross of Christ. It is that rock solid foundational Biblical truth that we can stand upon. The potential and the power of God is indeed present in the world today and we are privileged to be able to call upon it.

THAT is what Scripture teaches.

.. But nowhere in the Bible is there a specific and concrete promise that every person every time every where will be healed when God is called upon to do so. Experience in Christian lives reinforces this lesson.

We are privileged to ask and trust and believe. But there are times that the promises of God in Christ are yea and amen .. and those "yeas" can me "Yes, I won't." In those times, he provides grace upon grace to endure and withstand the struggle and debilitation that life's final war on us with pain, suffering and sickness brings.

Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth? Galatians 4:16

These are trying times. Everyone's trying something and getting caught. The Church Lady, 1987
Acts-dicted
4/9/14 10:03 am

Post Re: The Bible makes clear that .. DrDuck
Rafael D Martinez wrote:
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
Mark,

.. the provision for divine healing, the source from where it comes from, is from God and manifest out of the atonement at the Cross of Christ. It is that rock solid foundational Biblical truth that we can stand upon. The potential and the power of God is indeed present in the world today and we are privileged to be able to call upon it.

THAT is what Scripture teaches.

.. But nowhere in the Bible is there a specific and concrete promise that every person every time every where will be healed when God is called upon to do so. Experience in Christian lives reinforces this lesson.

We are privileged to ask and trust and believe. But there are times that the promises of God in Christ are yea and amen .. and those "yeas" can me "Yes, I won't." In those times, he provides grace upon grace to endure and withstand the struggle and debilitation that life's final war on us with pain, suffering and sickness brings.

The question is mute and irrelevant as pertains to actual healing being experienced.
If anything is clear from the Bible, it is that just because something is God's will does not mean it will happen.

It was surely God's will that Adam and Eve remain forever in the holy state in which they were created; but they did not.
It was undeniably God's will that Israel remain faithful to the law; but they did not.
It is most certainly God's will that all men be saved; but they are not. Etc and etc.

To think it to not be God's will that we be healed is the same as saying that it is his will that we be sick. Sorry, I simply cannot think of God as being like that.
Acts-celerater
4/9/14 10:27 am

Post God is not willing that any should perish.... Aaron Scott
Why do we accept that He doesn't want anyone to perish...but that He is apparently in perfect accord that some people suffer unimaginably?

Isn't healing provided for in the atonement? If the atonement is for all, why isn't healing?
4/9/14 10:37 am

Post Re: God is not willing that any should perish.... Old Time Country Preacher
Aaron Scott wrote:
Isn't healing provided for in the atonement? If the atonement is for all, why isn't healing?

The provision of healin is dispensed per the sovereign will a God. It aint guaranteed in the atonement.
Acts-pert Poster
4/9/14 11:13 am

Post Re: God is not willing that any should perish.... Nature Boy Florida
Aaron Scott wrote:
Why do we accept that He doesn't want anyone to perish...but that He is apparently in perfect accord that some people suffer unimaginably?

Death still reigns in our bodies.

Spiritually alive, yes - but bodies still die - and thus that must mean everyone must eventually be sick unto death. In fact, since Jesus resurrection - apparently everyone has still died since then.

Looks like if it was his will - there would be a few that had "enough" faith to never get sick again - and would roughly be 2,000 years old at this point.
4/9/14 11:17 am

Post OTCP... Aaron Scott
It surely is as "guaranteed" as salvation in the atonement. There is no reason to suspect that the atonement will provide salvation, but not healing, right?

Can you demonstrate any clear NT example of someone not being healed by Jesus or the disciples (and Paul's thorn doesn't count, for it was not necessarily a physical matter)?

Admit it: The REAL reason you don't want to go here is because WOFers are behind it. You don't have any Bible for your position--in fact, they have more reason to believe their way than you do to believe yours--but because you dare not--DARE NOT!--believe anything WOFers say, lest you be though complicit with their other errors--you resist.

Just own it, brother: Jesus healed everyone who came to Him.

He WILLED to heal some...but was WILLING to heal all.
4/9/14 11:20 am

Post Re: OTCP... Old Time Country Preacher
Aaron Scott wrote:
It surely is as "guaranteed" as salvation in the atonement. There is no reason to suspect that the atonement will provide salvation, but not healing, right?

Can you demonstrate any clear NT example of someone not being healed by Jesus or the disciples (and Paul's thorn doesn't count, for it was not necessarily a physical matter)?

Admit it: The REAL reason you don't want to go here is because WOFers are behind it. You don't have any Bible for your position--in fact, they have more reason to believe their way than you do to believe yours--but because you dare not--DARE NOT!--believe anything WOFers say, lest you be though complicit with their other errors--you resist.

Just own it, brother: Jesus healed everyone who came to Him.

He WILLED to heal some...but was WILLING to heal all.

Incorrect, Aaron. The reason I don't believe it is that there is no direct promise that guarantees it in all cases 100% of the time. I visited with a dear lady yesterday. She is a shut in, struggling with numerous physical maladies. Cant walk without a walker, takes numerous medications, but she said, "I'm not going to get cancer, I'll rebuke it, I'm not going to accept it." Now, the ole timer didn't argue with the woman or try to "straighten her out." I listened, had prayer with her, and left. But I couldn't help think of the irony of the context. She has numerous illnesses, but is not going to accept cancer. Why did she "accept" all the other things she is dealing with?

Nope, there are just too many variables in the sovereignty of God to "guarantee" healing any an ever time, 100% of the time.
Acts-pert Poster
4/9/14 11:32 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
Aaron,

It doesn't matter who teaches it or doesn't. The question is, "Where does the Bible say it is always God's will to heal?" Many of the pioneers of Pentecost whom I highly regard believed it was always God's will to heal, with many of them dying of illness while rejecting any medicine and steadfastly believing for healing.

If the claim is that it is ALWAYS God's will to heal, then let's see it from the Scriptures. And if it can be proven, let's hear how to make this happen in every one of our lives. We all know plenty of folks in our families, churches and communities who would love few things more than to be relieved of their disease.

If it is ALWAYS God's will to heal, how can we begin to see that happen in our lives and ministries? Who doesn't want to see more people healed in their life and ministry? I've seen several notable healings before, but I absolutely would love to see more.

If on the other hand we have no true Scriptural basis for the doctrine, how do we then approach the topic in our ministries?

I'm assuming we all want our ministries to be according to God's best intention and desire for us.

Last edited by Quiet Wyatt on 4/9/14 3:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/9/14 11:32 am

Post Re: OTCP... Old Time Country Preacher
Aaron Scott wrote:

Paul's thorn (whatever it was) was in his flesh. If it was a demon, it was in his flesh. If it was persons opposing him, they were in his flesh. Something was going on in his flesh.

An the reason he didn't eat for several days on that boat that wrecked on Malta was because he was sea sick. (Well, this one was interpreted WOF style. Cool )

Trophimus WAS NOT healed, but left at Miletum sick (physically sick).
Acts-pert Poster
4/9/14 11:39 am

Post If He was willing then He's willing now bigdubbz
Mark 1:40-41 A man with leprosy came to him and begged him on his knees, "If you are willing, you can make me clean." Jesus was indignant. He reached out his hand and touched the man. "I am willing," he said. "Be clean!"

Heb 13:8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.
[/i]
Friendly Face
4/9/14 1:22 pm

Post Good Discussion Mark Hardgrove
This is a good discussion. I think it is something many of us wrestle with. We believe in healing, we know God can and does heal, but we also know people of great faith who suffered for years, perhaps even to death, with a sickness. One of the problems I have with the WOF people is that their answer to the situation I've described is simply to blame the poor suffering soul for not having enough faith and that's the end of the discussion.

There are many variables involved, including the person's faith, God's timing, God's will, and the fact that we are not yet perfected, and we still dwell in these mortal bodies that groan for the day of redemption.

So, when I pray for people I always pray for healing, and I believe for healing, and if they die of of their sickness or disease (which many have) I do not blame them, or me, or God. I blame the sin of Adam, for in Adam all die. I acknowledge the fact that we live in corruptible bodies in a fallen world, but thank God, this is not all there is. The things which are seen are temporal, but the things that are not seen are eternal. If in this life only I have hope, then I am of all men most miserable.

I have also seen people come back from the brink of death. One lady was pronounced brain dead, but we prayed and she recovered to live another 5 years. Another time a baby was on the brink of death, the drs did not think the baby would live, but she's 9 years old now. I've seen others, so I know God heals and I know God answers our prayers, but I also know that people of faith get sick, people of faith suffer long-term illnesses, and people of faith die from diseases.

Hebrews 11
36 Still others had trial of mockings and scourgings, yes, and of chains and imprisonment. 37 They were stoned, they were sawn in two, were tempted, were slain with the sword. They wandered about in sheepskins and goatskins, being destitute, afflicted, tormented— 38 of whom the world was not worthy. They wandered in deserts and mountains, in dens and caves of the earth. 39 And all these, having obtained a good testimony through faith, did not receive the promise, 40 God having provided something better for us, that they should not be made perfect apart from us.

Now we see through a glass darkly.
Dean & VP for Academics at BHU
http://www.beulah.org/
Acts-celerater
4/9/14 2:10 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
Yep, Jesus healed.

Yep, Jesus heals.

Nope, he don't always heal.

Nope, the WOF position don't work.

Yep, godly folk git sick.

Nope, when they don't git healed it aint always their faith bein weak.
Acts-pert Poster
4/9/14 2:28 pm

Post Where JLarry
Where does the Bible say it is not God's will to heal?

No one who died without Christ is happy about their decision.
Acts Mod
4/9/14 3:38 pm

Post Re: Where Old Time Country Preacher
JLarry wrote:
Where does the Bible say it is not God's will to heal?

Trophimus.
Acts-pert Poster
4/9/14 5:12 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.