Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

You can change 1 thing in the Church of God…what?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Re: The state of our organization Cojak
Tom Sterbens wrote:
The word "ethos" is a great word.
Defined: "the fundamental character or spirit of a culture; the underlying sentiment that informs the beliefs, customs, or practices of a group or society; dominant assumptions of a people or period"

The Church of God is beyond a "change-one-thing" dialog. The problem is the culture. It is amazing to me that Pentecost was perhaps the most culturally disruptive event in scripture...and now [b]we have taken the label and created a culture which insulates us from the very thing our "Pentecostal" heritage holds as a central value.[/b]

There is a lot said here in a few words, but real change does START Somewhere, Rethinking meanings is a start. Moving away from the CEO/business Approach would be one way. But we are too big and unwieldy (as our civilian government) to change drastically, too many rules are in place to stay the course. Confused

I have never tried to make changes in the COG but I have in a small scale in Government, and found it near impossible, every change requires more changes somewhere else before it can be enacted, they are interwoven as some cancers in humans, which seems to make them inoperable so you wait on death. I hope that is not so in our leadership and outlook. Shocked
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
2/26/14 12:33 pm

Post One thing to change Looking For Friends
One thing to change is the political climate that puts people on sides "for and against" ministries, ministers, camps of thought, etc...

There is a Washington intensity to Cleveland politics that makes it almost impossible for people to have the opportunity to "break in" to new levels of ministry. Getting an opportunity to pastor or plant a church, moving into State/Regional Administrative work, etc... is controlled by an elite few who put their people (family members and political allies) into roles they are totally unprepared for. Too many examples to start listing on this response, Bishop Bill.

On another aspect of this political topic, I am tired of hearing every overseer complain about "previous administration" as though they are Barack Hussein Obama having to follow George W. Bush. The first 2 years full of "fixing the last administration's bookkeeping and procedures", followed by 2 years of self promotion (books, boasting and posturing for The Committee to see how great they are and assuring a good "vote") ...only to see "God's Will" move them to another state/region to blame another administration while the state/region left behind gets a new AB that complains for the mess he found.

Finally, this political climate/system forces the people with the most authority in our entire movement (The State Overseer/Administrative Bishop) to make critical decisions based on whether or not he will get "the vote" to return or stay in a state/region. AND the ministers do not get a true report from the vote expressed...only vague numbers to either make someone look good or bad...based on the reporters political clout/standing.

This has caused the distrust in the field, led to hundreds of churches/pastors lying about their tithe for selfish reasons and brings about NO ACCOUNTABILITY for pastors who are not equipped for the task they are given because if an AB removes an ineffective pastor it may cost him a few votes by the cronies of said pastor.

Church folks get tired of the dog and pony show we call "Campmeeting", thus leading to frustration among the laity and clergy because the Church of God is so out of touch with "the field" (as we are referred to). But as long as someone shouts and gives out a message in tongues...the AB should stay in good standing with The Committee.

That's what I'd like to change.
Acts-celerater
2/26/14 1:19 pm

Post Change Agent
[u] Church of God Home

Seven Reasons Why Only Changed Leaders Can Change Culture

One of the most important things leaders involved with societal transformation need to focus upon is their own personal transformation. Because of our fallen state, all leaders should be in an ongoing process of inner transformation that deals with the root issues of the heart, mind and emotions.

By Bishop Joseph Mattera

In my opinion, this is the reason why Jesus spoke about the proper attitudes of the heart in Matthew 5:1-12, before He called us to function as the salt of the earth and the light of the world in Matthew 5:13-16. Only changed leaders can truly change culture!

By “changed leaders,” I am speaking about those who are allowing God to continually touch their hearts, minds and emotions so they better reflect Christlikeness. Unchanged leaders are those who are generally untouched by the Lord in regard to this inner life.

The following are reasons why I believe this:

1. Unbroken leaders will lead out of their own ego. All of us have seen driven leaders who lead out of fleshly ambition instead of for the glory of God. God said He would not share His glory with anyone else. Hence, if we are unbroken, then we are working for our own glory, even if it is in the name of His kingdom. Jesus said only the meek will inherit the kingdom of God. In the kingdom, God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.

2. Insecure leaders will stop the advancement of emerging leaders. Those who are not rooted in God as Father have their identities attached to their accomplishments. These kinds of leaders will always try to be the top dog and squelch the advancement of other leaders they fear will replace them.

The key for societal transformation is to create a movement that depends upon the distribution of labor. Insecure leaders are the least-likely people to catalyze a movement because they become a bottleneck, holding on to titles and refusing to delegate to other more gifted leaders.

3. Presumptuous leaders will do things God never told them to do. Too often in the name of the Lord, leaders will get involved in huge building projects or other campaigns that have much emotional excitement but no lasting results. The reason for this failure is because the leader is so driven to succeed they believe their own desires are the voice of God, and they do things God never told them to do. God is not obligated to bless what He doesn’t command. Yet these same leaders often get bitter at the church or God when their plans fail. At the very least, their fleshly activities often bring shipwreck to churches and whole movements, which causes disillusionment among many younger believers.

4. How can we change the City of Man if we don’t first model the City of God in our own context? Leaders reproduce the essence of who they are in society—their motives, spiritual power, goals and the like. Consequently, how are unchanged leaders going to manifest the kingdom of God in their communities if they are not modeling it in their personal lives, their churches, their businesses or their families? Whatever dysfunction we have in our inner souls, we will reproduce it to some degree in other people’s lives or the organizations we lead.

5. Only those close to the Lord will receive divine strategy. In order to disciple the nations and bring systemic change on the earth, we need to prophetically know and follow the leading of the Lord regarding His work of changing cultures. Communities and culture are so complex that only the Lord would know where a leader should focus to see the best results! Consequently, it behooves all leaders to be close to the Lord and to take much time with Him to hear His voice so that we will only do what the Father is doing and blessing (John 5:19).

6. Only Christlikeness can overcome the fallen world system. Our purpose can only be fully accomplished if we are conformed into the image of Christ (Rom. 8:29-30).

Since only Jesus overcame the world (John 16:33), the only chance we have to confront and displace the powers of darkness inherent in the world system is to be filled with the power and might of the Lord (Eph. 6:10-13).

We can have all the Christian lingo, revelation and Bible verses memorized, but at the end of the day, if we are not like Christ in word, deed and character and if we are not depending upon the power of His Spirit to accomplish the work of transformation, we will never be a match for the forces of darkness.

7. Systemic sin can only be changed by systemic holiness. Systemic sin came about because one person’s sin was contagious and became the norm for many other people, who then made it the norm for their communities, cities and nations.

Systemic evil can only be displaced by individual believers who walk in holiness that, in turn, influence many others to do the same. Eventually, they create a movement that displaces a sinful societal norm.

In the past, revivals have temporarily shifted the morality of a town, village or city, but we need to go a step further and empower transformed people to become the gatekeepers of society. They will then help change the systems at the top that can create a new (godly) norm that lasts generations.

May the Lord open our eyes so that we have a powerful move of personal transformation operating concurrently with a strong focus on societal transformation. Any so-called Christian movement for societal change that arises out of unredeemed fleshly schemes will only damage the reputation of the true church, which will perpetuate and further embolden the ungodly sinful systems we are attempting to change!

Joseph Mattera is overseeing bishop of Resurrection Church, Christ Covenant Coalition, in Brooklyn, N.Y.

(Source: Ministry Today)

February 27, 2014

Just pulled the above article from the COG web site. In my opinion it is right on. Godly leaders insulated from politics is the only hope for the COG to overcome the political, self serving agendas that we see in todays COG denomination. When Godly leadership starts at the top and works it way down there will be a change in the atmosphere in the COG. Pastors and congregation will see the difference. Until that happens it will be the sameo sameo.

The way the COG is organized it would take a pure miracle for this to happen.
Acts Enthusiast
2/28/14 4:53 pm

Post Constitutional convention Matt Boyd
Bishop Bill,

I have personally brought my concerns to many of our current leaders and they have all expressed to me that they feel limited to initiate change because of the system that is in place. In addition there are leaders who are living in the past who are able to block what they would like to do to move us into the future. Both types of leaders are admired in our denomination because we are a enamored by personality and preaching ability.

There are those who are great preachers who are very effective ministers who should not be in administrative leadership. It is too tempting for some of them. They become seduced by position, careerism and power. In addition, because they have seen great success with their style often they think that if everyone did it their way we could all reach the world. This is faulty logic and faulty discernment.

So, it is not as simple as putting good Godly leaders in place. We must put the right Godly leaders in place and we must give them the tools and the systemic freedom to change what needs to be changed.

As I said in another thread, we need a constitutional convention where all ordained bishops have the opportunity to give input. If this is to work our leaders must cast a vision of what this new structure will provide. They must lead the congregation of Ordained Bishops while allowing for them to give wise input.

I could ignore all of this and just feel sorry the Denomination in general. I can just enjoy my current ministry and the fruit that is consistently more than I can contain. I am not dependent on the COG. God blesses the ministry I have the privileged to lead every where I go. Instead of leaving the Church of God I choose to engage with my real name in person and on here.

I still believe that we could be leading the Christian world. That we could be filling churches in the western world with those who do not know Christ.

God has great things in store for the COG but we keep missing it!

God is allowing us to settle for mediocrity!

Lets stop missing God's best!
Friendly Face
3/2/14 10:50 am

Post The Core of the Matter R. Keith Whitt
We've lost our first love.

Keith
3/2/14 3:37 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.