Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

The DECISION On Brad Freeman's Religion Post
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post David Branson
I love good religion, so I disagree with his original intent. Also....when will the f word used in a non sexual way ever be acceptable? hmmm.....
2/10/14 9:32 pm

Post John Stevenson
I agree. I love religion. If you look up the definition you will find that it means to have a set of beliefs. I guess what he saying is that he loves Jesus but doesn't love the doctrine of the Bible?
2/11/14 12:08 am

Post Can we talk? Mark Ledbetter
Can we be candid?

I cringe when I hear certain sexual euphemisms used anytime, but especially by men or women who are presenting the Good News of the Kingdom or teaching the Word of God.

Quote:
Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear.Eph 4:29

and there must be no filthiness and silly talk, or coarse jesting, which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks.Eph 5:4

Yet, some words, many words derive their meaning by context.

In certain audiences certain words may seem appropriate to identify with the group being targeted.

Even so, I believe Paul always sought to lift others out of the gutters and sewers and elevate them into more sublime and wholesome mind-sets than to use "street" language to make a supremely better point than any such talk may belittle.

I don't care who the preacher or teacher may be, some things are always in appropriate when representing the King and His Kingdom.

Quote:
Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were making an appeal through us; we beg you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God.2 Co 5:20

Spirit-Led
(This is how I want to be)
Golf Cart Mafia Associate
2/11/14 12:30 am

Post In Brad's post, the word "suck" was used correctly doyle
In his post, he was talking about people getting snake-bit and from what I've heard, one thing that is recommended if one get's snake bit, is to make an attempt to suck the poison out of the wound.

Obviously, the word can be used correctly for various reasons but then be an improper word depending on how it's used.

If the word is intentionally used to be salacious, then it's improper and unwelcome here on Acts. I once got rid of a vacuum cleaner because it didn't suck enough. Is my relating that incident somehow improper or salacious?

Doyle
2/11/14 1:43 am

Post bigchurchmouse
Doyle, Do you honestly believe Brad chose that word for any reason other than the shock value because of the connotation of it? Only two people even posted a comment to the thread. Several people would likely have posted if he had simply said that Religion draws out poison. That would have saved both you and Brad the trouble of trying to defend the word. BTW If your vacuum did not have adequate suction ability, you should have repaired or discarded it. Different matter entirely.

Brad has now admitted that he should have used a different word. I hope he and all pastors will remember that there are enough appropriate words available. No one needs to resort to words that may shock and offend their listeners or readers. Doyle, have you ever used the words "sucks" or "screwed up" in a sermon? Why not, if they are innocent and have no sexual connotation?
Golf Cart Mafia Capo
2/11/14 8:57 am

Post bradfreeman
bigchurchmouse wrote:
Several people would likely have posted if he had simply said that Religion draws out poison.

Religion doesn't draw out poison. Religion can make no one perfect or righteous. It sucks on the snakebite, but it doesn't work.

Quote:
Brad has now admitted that he should have used a different word.

Thanks BCM. My apology was not for using a word I feel was sexual or sinful. The word accurately conveyed my view of the value of religion to remedy sin. I have used and will continue to use it in other ministry venues.

My apology was for using a word in the context of a "preacher board" where many folks remain way more concerned with form over substance. On Acts, I risked diminishing my influence with some by using a word that some found offensive. Probably an exaggerated sense of hurt or disappointment from those who cried "foul" loudest. None the less, an unnecessary diminution of my preacher cred on here. It likely had no effect on my preacher cred with those who cried "foul" the loudest. Laughing

They just found it an opportune moment to throw a few rocks. We will all need grace sooner or later...hyper grace.

My website: www.bradfreeman.com
My blog: http://bradcfreeman.tumblr.com/
Acts-dicted
2/11/14 11:27 am

Post Cojak
Smile Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
2/11/14 12:28 pm

Post bonnie knox
Here you go, Doyle. Does Brad know how to be incendiary, or is he is innocent as the driven snow?
Quote:
My apology was for using a word in the context of a "preacher board" where many folks remain way more concerned with form over substance.

Laughing
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/11/14 12:56 pm

Post Change Agent
Some of the things I have heard from COG pulpits were very mild compared to Brads post. I have heard hate, anger, stupid and many other things. Nothing shocks me anymore, so I had no problem with Brads post. Acts Enthusiast
2/11/14 1:09 pm

Post bonnie knox
Quote:
I remember when the words scr_ _ed up was cursing. Now I hear it from the pulpit. IMO, we should be more careful with our use of words.

Larry, "screw up" something simply means "to make a mess of" something or "injure or damage" something. It is slang, but it is not vulgar slang. Basically the derivation is getting something turned or twisted to the point of messing it up.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/11/14 1:12 pm

Post bonnie knox
Change Agent wrote:
Some of the things I have heard from COG pulpits were very mild compared to Brads post. I have heard hate, anger, stupid and many other things. Nothing shocks me anymore, so I had no problem with Brads post.

Well bless your jaded heart!
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/11/14 1:34 pm

Post bradfreeman
bonnie knox wrote:
Quote:
I remember when the words scr_ _ed up was cursing. Now I hear it from the pulpit. IMO, we should be more careful with our use of words.

Larry, "screw up" something simply means "to make a mess of" something or "injure or damage" something. It is slang, but it is not vulgar slang. Basically the derivation is getting something turned or twisted to the point of messing it up.

Sorry to advise Bonnie, but that term also has sexual dual meaning many would find offensive. I guess your view of the term, like mine, depends on where you learned it.

Acts-dicted
2/11/14 2:19 pm

Post bonnie knox
bradfreeman wrote:
bonnie knox wrote:
Quote:

Sorry to advise Bonnie, but that term also has sexual dual meaning many would find offensive. I guess your view of the term, like mine, depends on where you learned it.

No, you're incorrect. The phrase "screw up" does not have a dual sexual meaning, the variant meanings of the base word, notwithstanding.
Now whether you or I would be offended might indeed depend on where we learned it. But as our dearly departed brother would say, "Doesn't matter."
I think you made an excellent observation when you said, "Let's use the dictionary." I say we use the American Heritage Dictionary (and not the urban slang, lol).
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/11/14 2:59 pm

Post Re: The DECISION On Brad Freeman's Religion Post krista
doyle wrote:
As we're told that "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder," so it seems how the word "suck" is used, can mean different things to different people in different situations.

If one is teaching another how to siphon gas from a car, not something I do often Smile, there are few better words for telling them how to get the gas to come out.

Something else that doesn't happen to me so much anymore, is a woman whispering "Don't s**k too hard and leave a hickey on my neck." I actually married the last woman that whispered that in my ear Smile. At the time, she had been concerned that her Dad would see it and not be happy about it.

However, in some cases these days the word "suck" has taken on some really salacious meanings so I DO understand it when our viewers are offended by it. I support their right to share how they feel and I respect their feelings.

One of our regular posters, Brad Freeman, used the word in a recent post by stating that "Religion Sucks." I saw the complaints and read Brad's post.

Turns out, in my opinion, that particular post made an excellent point - taking an Old Testament incident and bringing it far more vividly to our attention. http://www.actscelerate.com/viewtopic.php?t=78037

So often, the focus of religion is on the snakes and not the Savior.

That's my opinion. What's yours?

Doyle

Actually my opinion is that I am very disappointed with you Doyle. You know, Brad knows, everyone knows he was using a vulgar term as a shock statement. He used that word, pushing the envelope, and then hide behind that idea that it made a point.
It wouldn't be as bad if Brad had said that word in a post. But as a title of a thread, you are opening the door to things you may not realize right now. And when that time comes, we'll be here to remind you it was just an "excellent point". And what is ok for one, will be ok for others. You're going to end up with a discussion board filled with those who push the limits and hide behind "it was an excellent point". Now that you are ok with it, just watch what Brad and others post.
Very sad that you as owner of the board are ok with it.
Golf Cart Mafia Capo
2/11/14 3:22 pm

Post Re: Uh.......... krista
Purplebarney wrote:
Two things.......

The word "suck" is not "derived from" a sexual expression so that is wrong

We are STILL discussing the post so I would say that Brad got his message across better than anyone on this board so well done Brad!!!

Not surprising at all. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Golf Cart Mafia Capo
2/11/14 3:26 pm

Post krista
David Branson wrote:
I love good religion, so I disagree with his original intent. Also....when will the f word used in a non sexual way ever be acceptable? hmmm.....

Evidently, if it makes an "excellent point", it can be used. And why not? The owner of the board made this ruling.
It seems he opened the board to a lot of this if it makes an "excellent point". Just make sure gentlemen, it's "excellent". Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
Golf Cart Mafia Capo
2/11/14 3:30 pm

Post Re: In Brad's post, the word "suck" was used corre krista
doyle wrote:
In his post, he was talking about people getting snake-bit and from what I've heard, one thing that is recommended if one get's snake bit, is to make an attempt to suck the poison out of the wound.

Obviously, the word can be used correctly for various reasons but then be an improper word depending on how it's used.

If the word is intentionally used to be salacious, then it's improper and unwelcome here on Acts. I once got rid of a vacuum cleaner because it didn't suck enough. Is my relating that incident somehow improper or salacious?

Doyle

What's so sad Doyle, is that we know that you know better. And you owe this board what you have expected from us every now-and-then...an Apology! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Golf Cart Mafia Capo
2/11/14 3:33 pm

Post MARK317
This topic comes at a good time. I am preaching a series of Sermons on the idea of how our culture has effected the Church. About how the Church has accepted many of the traits and behaviors that we expect only from the culture we live in. I would expect to hear the word in question, if I was at the mall, but coming from a minister is quite a shock.

It is interesting, that a word that had it's beginnings in the sexual deviant, not only is accepted by many in the church, but it is in many cases embraced by those who Minister the Word of God.
This will work good for Sunday.
Acts-celerater
2/11/14 3:50 pm

Post bradfreeman
MARK317 wrote:
This topic comes at a good time. I am preaching a series of Sermons on the idea of how our culture has effected the Church. About how the Church has accepted many of the traits and behaviors that we expect only from the culture we live in. I would expect to hear the word in question, if I was at the mall, but coming from a minister is quite a shock.

It is interesting, that a word that had it's beginnings in the sexual deviant, not only is accepted by many in the church, but it is in many cases embraced by those who Minister the Word of God.
This will work good for Sunday.

Actually Mark, the Urban dictionary (a place where one would expect a rough etiology of the term) describes the origins of the term as follows:

From the Urban Dictionary:

Sucks
Not good. Bad.

"The early Jazz musicians would say that a guy could really "Blow" if he had a good sound when playing the horn. If he couldn't play very well then they would say that he was "Sucking" on that horn. That's where the term "Suck" as being something bad came from.
He plays that horn so poorly that he must be sucking on it.

He doesn't blow, he sucks."

Acts-dicted
2/11/14 5:27 pm

Post DrDuck
bonnie knox wrote:
bradfreeman wrote:
bonnie knox wrote:
Quote:

No, you're incorrect. The phrase "screw up" does not have a dual sexual meaning, the variant meanings of the base word, notwithstanding.
Now whether you or I would be offended might indeed depend on where we learned it. But as our dearly departed brother would say, "Doesn't matter."
I think you made an excellent observation when you said, "Let's use the dictionary." I say we use the American Heritage Dictionary (and not the urban slang, lol).

Well . . the first time I ever heard that phrase used was in reference to a male who had fathered a child out of wedlock.
Acts-celerater
2/11/14 6:12 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.