Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Super Bowl Party but no church service.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Super Bowl Party but no church service. 4golf
I came across a sign of a church that does not have Sunday night service, yet they are advertising a Super Bowl party at the church. To me that seems a little like a hypocrite. They no longer have Sunday night service so they people can spend time with the family and yet they play up this Super Bowl party more than there church service.I know this church and pastor and he is a seeker sensitive preacher and this is right along with his messages, they are filled with so much of the world, I can't tell if he is trying to be preacher or entainer. Some churchs cancel there Sunday night service because the Super bowl!
1/31/14 8:08 am

Post wow Scooter
Don't really know where to begin. Family and fellowship verses traditional Sunday evening services.

Let it go. Cool

Next thing you know people won't want to sing out of the song book. Laughing
Acts Enthusiast
1/31/14 10:55 am

Post Hmmm. Purplebarney
I don't understand the issue here. The Super Bowl happens once a year. If a church doesn't have Sunday evening service so that families can spend more time together then thats great but I'm sure every once and a while, like the Super Bowl, you can say that instead of family time lets get together and have fellowship together watching the game. That is absolutely ok to do. Besides, that is their church and not yours…….thats the way they do things. I'm not saying that in a disrespectful or sarcastic way so don't take it that way.

Also, back in the day when churches started canceling their Sunday evening services so that families could spend more time together that was a new concept. That was the reason and it seemed very logical. Today things are different. Church is different. Yes, God is the same. But Churches are trying different things to reach their community. I'm sure many churches saw declining attendance on Sunday evenings and just decided to cancel it as it wasn't an option their community was interested in. Thats why there are more options today. Friday, Saturday, and even Sunday afternoon services. Also, back in the day churches had multiple services because they were growing and couldn't accommodate everyone. Now they have multiple services to allow more options for their community more than to accommodate the growth. For some it goes hand in hand and it's both reasons.

Nobody should be negative towards churches doing things differently. I'm not saying you are or you aren't. I'm just giving my opinion here. I think its great that the church is adapting to 2014 while maintaining their faith in God that He has never changed. He can just move on different days than Sunday morning, Sunday night, and Wednesday night.

My 3 cents

Last edited by Purplebarney on 1/31/14 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Acts-celerater
1/31/14 3:43 pm

Post Re: Super Bowl Party but no church service. Cojak
4golf wrote:
I came across a sign of a church that does not have Sunday night service, yet they are advertising a Super Bowl party at the church. To me that seems a little like a hypocrite. They no longer have Sunday night service so they people can spend time with the family and yet they play up this Super Bowl party more than there church service.I know this church and pastor and he is a seeker sensitive preacher and this is right along with his messages, they are filled with so much of the world, I can't tell if he is trying to be preacher or entainer. Some churchs cancel there Sunday night service because the Super bowl!

Seems to be your way or the highway on this subject. Evil or Very Mad

I was convinced that there has been a lot of good that came from alternate ideas Shocked
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
1/31/14 3:46 pm

Post 4golf, why don't you go? Find out first hand caseyleejones
instead of speculating. Acts-perienced Poster
1/31/14 7:25 pm

Post Be careful what you call seeker senstitve... Clint Wills
I had a conversation with a pastor once, and he made a derogatory remark about seeker sensitive churches. When I asked about his services he told me that Sunday nights they really cut loose, but on Sunday morning they are more subdued for visitors. I commented, "so in the morning you're more sensitive to people that might be visiting?" His response was, "exactly". I let it sink in for a moment as I watched him realize what he had just said.

When we moved to Bend there was (and still is) one mega-church in town. They run around 2500 people. Other pastors in town bashed them constantly about how they water down the gospel. Having come from a pretty large church I wanted to see - it was a Foursquare church after all. The more I have gotten to know that church and their staff the more I realize that those other pastors were more jealous than concerned.

God forbid that we make it easy for a sinner to find Jesus. I can't imagine what God must think about churches welcoming sinners and loving on them just like they are rather than hammering about their sins. He must be REALLY disappointed in those churches that see thousands of people saved and discipled every year. It's a shame I tell ya...a SHAME!!
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
1/31/14 11:03 pm

Post Re: Be careful what you call seeker senstitve... Cojak
Clint Wills wrote:
God forbid that we make it easy for a sinner to find Jesus. I can't imagine what God must think about churches welcoming sinners and loving on them just like they are rather than hammering about their sins. He must be REALLY disappointed in those churches that see thousands of people saved and discipled every year. It's a shame I tell ya...a SHAME!!

That is saying a mouthful my friend. Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
1/31/14 11:24 pm

Post I'm guessing it is me patrickballington
Seeing you are only about 10-15 miles from our church and we don't have Sunday night services and we have held a Super Bowl Party for 6 years now and we put it on our sign and we've been labeled by others as "seeker sensitive" (which, BTW, seems to me to be more desirable than being seeker INsensitive)..I'm assuming I'm the guilty one.

If so, I would love to get together for lunch one day and share the vision, mission, and method behind "the madness." This Sunday night will be net we cast to catch fish...the Super Bowl and food and hospitality are the bait. So far, has worked every time. Smile

PM me so we can go to lunch. Or stop in on your next drive by.
Friendly Face
1/31/14 11:54 pm

Post bigchurchmouse
Sounds to me that you are on to something great with your vision for the church. Also, you seem to have a great attitude, Patrick. I hope God blesses you with a full net this Sunday. I believe God says, "you catch 'em, I'll clean 'em". Golf Cart Mafia Capo
2/1/14 8:03 am

Post DHDRabbi
Patrick is winning people to Jesus! That's the goal! [Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/1/14 8:19 am

Post Patrick 4golf
I know your church and you have done this for several years. I also know you do not have Sunday night services normal. My post is not what I intended to say. The problem I had was with a church that has Sunday night services and called them off for the Super Bowl! They are several churchs in my area that is doing this. I don't have a problem with a church like Particks, that does not have Sunday night services and has a Super Bowl Party, but I have a "Big" Problem with churches that call off Sunday night services for a super Bowl party. Sorry for the mix up! And yes they had is on there sign super Bowl party this Sunday night!

Last edited by 4golf on 2/1/14 9:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Bound By Beaulah
2/1/14 8:54 am

Post Re: Patrick Dave Dorsey
4golf wrote:
I know your church does not have Sunday night service! I know you have for the last several years have done the super bowl party. My problem is not with you and your church, my problem is with the church that called off Sunday night service for the super bowl. Now if you people don't see anything wrong with that, maybe you need to look what the Word Disciple means in the Greek.

Of your original post, all but the final sentence pertains to this church which does not normally have Sunday night service but has a Super Bowl party. You accuse them of being hypocrites, seeker sensitive, filled with the world, and you accuse the pastor of being an entertainer. Only the final sentence of your post pertains to churches which cancel service for the Super Bowl. It is not at all clear that your problem is not with him and his church.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/1/14 8:59 am

Post What an outstanding opportunity for 4golf. caseyleejones
If I were Patrick...I for one would meet with Ronnie. Ronnie, if I were you take advantage of the offer. Acts-perienced Poster
2/1/14 9:25 am

Post 4golf patrickballington
Thanks for clarifying...and let's still get together for lunch sometime. It's a shame we are so close and have not interacted on a personal level and it took Actscelerate for me to realize it. I would love to get together sometime.

BTW- noticed you preached a sermon once "If You're Not Catching Fish, It's Time To Switch Bait" (...gotta love Facebook Very Happy ). Maybe the church in question has realized their nets are empty so their trying something new.

Paul hung out in Corinth during the Isthmian Games (like the Olympics) and used them as spiritual apologies in several letters. We should all look for ways to leverage the culture in order to connect and communicate. You're right that is doesn't have to happen on Sunday night in place of a service...but there's nothing sinful or prohibitive in scripture that would prevent any church from doing so...only our own church culture and tradition.

We called off a Sunday morning last year to go out serve the community. Everyone gathered that morning as usual (except wearing work clothes) and we sand 2 songs, took an offering (I believe a previous post clarified that's why we all meet anyway Laughing -- it was horribly low), and then dispersed to a dozen work sites around the county. We gained DOZENS of people from that one event. Most were unchurched, a few were frustrated with their churches not doing anything in the community and disappointed in their pastors response when they shared what we did. We are planning to do it again this summer. Great way to make what would be a low attendance Sunday a huge success.
Friendly Face
2/1/14 9:30 am

Post Community Events skinnybishop
I like Patricks' plan of hosting an outreach event on Super Bowl Sunday. On a couple of occasions, we have had small events that tried to open the doors of our church to our community.

We have great events,but falter in connecting with those outside the church. That embarrasses me, but it is true. Please hear me out:

We have wonderful, loving people at our church. Our members are very aware of the presence of visitors and want them there. But how we (members) interact with visitors leaves something to be desired.

The visitor is usually kindly welcomed, and spoken to by those at the door...or by the person standing in line (food) next to them......or by those walking directly past the visitor.

But, if Member A sees visitor A across the room, chances are they won't connect. It is not that Member A doesn't care, or is rude....they just don't know what to do, or are uncomfortable initiating a conversation with a visitor.

So what happens is this: Member walks in....People close by offer handshakes and "Hello! I'm Ed Wiggins Glad to have you! " (Awkward silence...awkward silence....awkward silence) "Well, make yourself at home! Better hurry up and get in line!"

Visitor nervously goes through the line...eats....endures as a few equally nervous members randomly try to make small talk.

Then as the visitor is leaving...."Come back to see us!"

I guess to summarize: We don't know what we are doing. We can get visitors to our church.....we just don't know what to do next.

We don't know how to transition from a club to a community. I think the majority wants that change...but are afraid of it and unsure of it.
Acts Enthusiast
2/1/14 10:11 am

Post Hey skinnybishop, would love to fatten you up! patrickballington
Pm me and let's get together and talk through a plan that works.

We had the same problem. There is a very doable plan that will work:

Identify those who are naturally friendly and gifted with hospitality, outgoing, and chit-chat (but not weird).

Assemble them for a brief meeting (the goal is to release them to what they naturally do so it won't take long).

Explain the problem. Tell them you believe they are the solution.

Make the a team. Hospitality Team. Guest Services Team. But NOT a Welcome Team...everyone should do that!

Do not put people who are at the doors on the new team. They are Greeters. Let them stand there and greet (sounds like they are doing that well).

Give your new Hospitality / Guest Services Team the resources they need...which is NOT money...it's questions and information.
Instruct them on what to say and even better, what questions to ask. Things like: Is today your first time with us? How did you hear about us? If it is their 2nd or 3rd time with you I have them ask, what brought you back?

Also give them the information they need to guide the guest through the entire service and coming week: location of restrooms, classroom, nursery, kids areas, how the check in and pick up of kids works for your church (emphasize safety to new families), let them know how the service will flow and what to expect (especially if you are sho' nuff throw down Pentecostal), etc.

Again, don't station this team at doors but have them assigned to areas in your building and let them move around. Your regular people will start pointing new people out to them when they walk by. Let the team know to look for people sitting/standing alone and to NOT get caught up in their own conversation with team members and regular attenders. You have. Sermon to preach, the worship leader has a song to sing, they have new people to connect. Stay focussed.

Last, put big name tags on this team (ours wear T-shirts that say "Guest Services" really big on them) so that new people know who to approach with questions or needs. The last thing a team member should say to a new person is "my name is ______. If you have any questions or need anything you look for me and I'll take care of it."
Friendly Face
2/1/14 10:30 am

Post Re: Hey skinnybishop, would love to fatten you up! bradfreeman
patrickballington wrote:

Identify those who are naturally friendly and gifted with hospitality, outgoing, and chit-chat (but not weird).

Assemble them for a brief meeting (the goal is to release them to what they naturally do so it won't take long).

Make the a team. Hospitality Team. Guest Services Team. But NOT a Welcome Team...everyone should do that!

Do not put people who are at the doors on the new team. They are Greeters. Let them stand there and greet (sounds like they are doing that well).

Give your new Hospitality / Guest Services Team the resources they need...which is NOT money...it's questions and information.
Instruct them on what to say and even better, what questions to ask. Things like: Is today your first time with us? How did you hear about us? If it is their 2nd or 3rd time with you I have them ask, what brought you back?

Also give them the information they need to guide the guest through the entire service and coming week: location of restrooms, classroom, nursery, kids areas, how the check in and pick up of kids works for your church (emphasize safety to new families), let them know how the service will flow and what to expect (especially if you are sho' nuff throw down Pentecostal), etc.

Again, don't station this team at doors but have them assigned to areas in your building and let them move around. Your regular people will start pointing new people out to them when they walk by. Let the team know to look for people sitting/standing alone and to NOT get caught up in their own conversation with team members and regular attenders. You have. Sermon to preach, the worship leader has a song to sing, they have new people to connect. Stay focussed.

Last, put big name tags on this team (ours wear T-shirts that say "Guest Services" really big on them) so that new people know who to approach with questions or needs. The last thing a team member should say to a new person is "my name is ______. If you have any questions or need anything you look for me and I'll take care of it."

In addition to questions about and for the church, you might consider questions or requests that show interest in the person such as:

Where are you from?
Tell me a little about yourself.

My website: www.bradfreeman.com
My blog: http://bradcfreeman.tumblr.com/
Acts-dicted
2/1/14 10:52 am

Post Re: Hey skinnybishop, would love to fatten you up! skinnybishop
bradfreeman wrote:
patrickballington wrote:

In addition to questions about and for the church, you might consider questions or requests that show interest in the person such as:

Where are you from?
Tell me a little about yourself.

I may have exaggerated the problem a bit, lol. What I meant was after small talk, we are unsure of what to do next.
Acts Enthusiast
2/1/14 11:00 am

Post Re: Hey skinnybishop, would love to fatten you up! skinnybishop
patrickballington wrote:

Thanks Patrick. Hitting the "like" button.
I'm realizing that some us us that need training the most, think we need it the least.
Acts Enthusiast
2/1/14 11:01 am

Post Think through the "next step" patrickballington
Think through the next steps of what you want new people to know and what you want them to do. And there should only be 1 -2 options, not a list of options. Then create specific environments for each step.

That is more than we can go into in this format and needs to be specific to your church and ministry DNA. Sounds like you have what I call and "environment gap" meaning people know how to be friendly at the doors and in the introduction phase but uncertain where to point/direct/accompany the new people to from there. If the next step environment is small groups the. The conversation could easily shift to that and your people should be chatting up small groups and how they are designed to meet their spiritual and relational needs and so forth. If it is a new friends lunch or event then that becomes the next flow of conversation.

If the only goal is to get them into church, you got em,...they're there...after "hello my name is___ glad you're here" there little left for the regular person to talk about unless they are gifted with people skills and hospitality.

I agree, you have to arm them questions to discover more about the person and express genuine interest in them. But those questions also need to be in the right environment. Think about it, you don't ask the checkout clerk "tell me a little about yourself" unless you are hitting on her!

You can't force connection, you can creat environments that facilitate connection.

That's the whole point behind our Super Bowl Party.

(Did you catch what I did there? Got us back on point ) Very Happy

Call me and we can brainstorm ideas and develop a strategy and plan that works for you. I LOVE doing this kind of stuff and benefit from it myself every time I help others.
Friendly Face
2/1/14 12:15 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.