Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Can Faithful Christians Smoke Marijuana? (L)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Can Faithful Christians Smoke Marijuana? (L) Daniel Rushing
I promise, this does not reflect a trend of me blowing up the board with my blog posts; but, I thought this was something that others might want to read and share. I also look forward to the conversation it might generate on the subject.

Quote:
The recent legalization of recreational marijuana use in Colorado has revived the conversation about what Americans think about the use of marijuana as a recreational drug. At the same time, the church is asking questions about the use of marijuana as well. There was a time when we could take the easy way out, and just declare that since marijuana use was illegal then it was also immoral for Christians to do. There is little doubt that other states will eventually follow suit with Colorado, and as the culture grows more desensitized to marijuana use, the American church will have to answer questions that we’ve had the luxury of passing off for decades. I want to deal with one of those questions today. Can I be a faithful Christian and smoke marijuana?

http://www.sdanielrushing.com/can-i-be-a-faithful-christian-and-smoke-marijuana/
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
1/8/14 9:40 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
Sure, dude.
1/8/14 9:56 am

Post No roughridercog
It could lead to dancing. Razz

In all honesty, I think that a new Christian might struggle with it along with any number of issues. But in all honesty, I think recreational drug use dulls our sense of the presence of God rather than enhances it.

Have I toked on a doobie?

Nope.

In my over five decades on this earth I never smoked, drank, or took drugs.

Why?

Did I miss out on something?
1/8/14 10:05 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
Good blog, Daniel. Coincidentally, just yesterday I had the opportunity to substitute teach in our local junior high school. One of the classes I led was Health, and it just so happened that the lesson was on health risks, including alcohol and drugs. We had a good discussion. We specifically talked about marijuana, and how though it could relax you temporarily, the negatives far outweighed any possible benefit. Same thing with alcohol. As a former alcoholic and pot smoker myself (sober now for 23 years), I told the students that basically the only thing taking drugs could do was to make you stupid, and that you would be likely to do some very stupid things while on them too. I really hope it made an positive impression on them. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/8/14 10:41 am

Post Cojak
I have never tried MJ. But most of the generations below me have. I do not find a problem with medical MJ, Possibly the Dr. Prescribing it actually smoke it himself. Many folk take ANY drug prescribed without a question.

I think we are going to be asked this question more and more.

Can a Christian smoke MJ, I have no idea. Probably not and remain a member of the COG.
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
1/8/14 11:03 am

Post This will turn out like the alcohol debate... Clint Wills
The exception is that I don't think anyone could say that Jesus smoked weed. We can't really point to a verse that says, "though shall not smoke pot". I think we can reasonably say that getting high is wrong, and maybe that's the catch. I know people who drink without getting drunk, but I've never met anyone who does drugs without getting high. Pot - along with any other drug - have one (and only one) purpose: to get you high! Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
1/8/14 12:04 pm

Post Re: This will turn out like the alcohol debate... Ernie Long
Clint Wills wrote:
The exception is that I don't think anyone could say that Jesus smoked weed. We can't really point to a verse that says, "though shall not smoke pot". I think we can reasonably say that getting high is wrong, and maybe that's the catch. I know people who drink without getting drunk, but I've never met anyone who does drugs without getting high. Pot - along with any other drug - have one (and only one) purpose: to get you high!

I know a whole lot of people who defend smoking pot, because they say it numbs their physical pain. It just kills their brain cells to where they can't feel anything.
Acts Enthusiast
1/8/14 12:09 pm

Post Ernie Long
I think we need to find Cheech and Chong to get their 2 cent opinion, no wait a minute, um, make that their 1 cent. Laughing Acts Enthusiast
1/8/14 12:12 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
If the whole law of Christ is summed up in loving God supremely and one's neighbor as oneself, it then clearly follows that doing something that makes you stupid and careless negatively impacts both your ability to love God with all your heart, soul, MIND and strength, and your ability to love/treat your neighbor as you should. You can't truly honor and love God or others the way you should when intoxicated by drugs or alcohol. A Christian is to be sober-minded, not a slack-jawed dope head or drunk who's just hooked on a feeling. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/8/14 12:13 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
I don't know fellers, they is somethin bout eatin a Shoneys hot fudge cake with momma, pullin out the dime bag an rollin some reefer. All at hot fudge follered by tokin the mary jane all the way to the roach, hey, it just helps ya sleep a mite better. Cool Acts-pert Poster
1/8/14 1:48 pm

Post roughridercog
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
I don't know fellers, they is somethin bout eatin a Shoneys hot fudge cake with momma, pullin out the dime bag an rollin some reefer. All at hot fudge follered by tokin the mary jane all the way to the roach, hey, it just helps ya sleep a mite better. Cool

Take a little pot for thy stomach's sake. Laughing Laughing Laughing
1/8/14 2:00 pm

Post John Jett
Can you smoke it and not get high? Intoxication (drunkenness) of course is clearly a sin that is agreed on by all Christians and I think intoxication from one or the other is no different. Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
1/8/14 2:14 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
It's a travesty that marijuana isn't legally available for the clinical treatment of chronic pain (note: clinical, not do-it-yourself), but in regard to any other use it is impossible for me to see a way in which it could be 'enjoyed' without sin. As another poster commented, there is no way to enjoy it without getting high, as one could enjoy a glass of wine or fine meal without drunkenness or gluttony. Is there any way in which getting high can pass the Col 3:17 test? I don't see one. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/8/14 2:22 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
BTW, very good and well-reasoned post, Daniel. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/8/14 2:24 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
Dave Dorsey wrote:
It's a travesty that marijuana isn't legally available for the clinical treatment of chronic pain (note: clinical, not do-it-yourself), but in regard to any other use it is impossible for me to see a way in which it could be 'enjoyed' without sin. As another poster commented, there is no way to enjoy it without getting high, as one could enjoy a glass of wine or fine meal without drunkenness or gluttony. Is there any way in which getting high can pass the Col 3:17 test? I don't see one.

If two sips a wine didn't make a feller drunk, just one toke on the water pipe would make ya high either. So, in moderation, would either be wrong?
Acts-pert Poster
1/8/14 2:59 pm

Post Daniel Rushing
Quote:
If two sips a wine didn't make a feller drunk, just one toke on the water pipe would make ya high either. So, in moderation, would either be wrong?

Now that's funny! ROFL ROFL
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
1/8/14 3:08 pm

Post Daniel Rushing
So here's a question that was raised during the conversation on this post on my Facebook page. We say that the New Testament treats drunkenness as a sin. How then, do we rectify the possibility that Jesus MADE wine for a group of people who were already drunk? Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
1/8/14 4:14 pm

Post Cojak
Daniel Rushing wrote:
So here's a question that was raised during the conversation on this post on my Facebook page. We say that the New Testament treats drunkenness as a sin. How then, do we rectify the possibility that Jesus MADE wine for a group of people who were already drunk?

It is a Jewish Wedding.... And besides his mama asked him to. Wink

But that question will never be answered 'as an agreement' among a group of 20 people. We know for sure that abstinence IS NOT a sin. Teaching that consuming wine is a sin, in my mind, might be a slap in the face of the One who turned the water to wine. Scripture says, 'He had no Sin, neither guile found in his mouth.' (or close).
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
1/8/14 5:05 pm

Post Maybe ... Mat
Maybe unlike us, Jesus could "hold" his wine. I have met people who say drinking does not phase them, other who say the say about just about everything else, including tobacco. Maybe so, but as for "me and my house" I need to steer clear of such things.

I do say, if someone gets drunk or high and something bad happens, I do not think they should us "Jesus" in their defense. So you get high, drive a car and kill someone. I don't want to hear about what a good person you were, or that since the death you got saved and should not go to jail. You deserve you punishment and you can have a prison ministry if you really changed.

If you get drunk and insult me, I'll cut you ear off. Peter did, its in the Bible.
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
1/8/14 5:33 pm

Post Re: Maybe ... Dave Dorsey
Mat wrote:
So you get high, drive a car and kill someone.

You definitely won't kill someone driving high. You might dent their fender. And that's assuming you make it out of your garage. Laughing
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/8/14 5:43 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.