Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

I lost 85 pounds eating a ketogenic diet. Ask me anything.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post shaunbwilson
Tom Sterbens wrote:
Shaun - I didn't see Almond Milk on you list. How come?

For one important reason. I forgot. Shocked

You'll notice it as an ingredient in my egg nog recipe above. I'm not anti-almond milk (almonds are loaded with valuable potassium and have been demonstrated—but not proven—to lower cholesterol). However, I just don't enjoy the taste all that much by itself and my family found ourselves with cartons going bad before they were finished. I don't dislike it, I just don't like it enough to finish the carton before it expires. I stopped using almond milk because the cost per ounce goes up very quickly when you're not drinking the full carton before throwing it away. Like I said in a different post above—I keto on a budget.

Again, by no means is what I've listed in other posts an exhaustive list of acceptable foods. It's just what I personally happen to be eating regularly currently. This changes every month or two.

PS - I wasn't a regular milk fan before I went low carb either. For those who do enjoy milk, this is a really great substitute.

Last edited by shaunbwilson on 8/28/13 11:48 am; edited 2 times in total
Site Admin
8/28/13 11:26 am

Post Re: Thanks Shaun shaunbwilson
bonnie knox wrote:
Hi Shaun, I'm Bonnie. LOL
I'm just waiting for someone to turn the conventional wisdom of the height/weight chart on its head the way you've turned the conventional wisdom of the low-fat diet on its head.
Anyway, I'm short and obese. I honestly never again want to weigh little enough to be in what is considered the "ideal weight" range for a woman my height.
That's not to say I'm not interested in health and nutrition or in being physically active.

I find this interesting. Can you tell me why you think you feel this way? Do you think you look better in your proportions? Are you adverse to the hunger that comes with most diets? Other reasons? I truly am fascinated!

Like I mentioned in one of my other posts, to me the weight loss that comes with this diet ended up being a secondary or tertiary benefit of eating like this. My reduced risk for heart disease (something extremely prevalent in both sides of my family), diabetes (shown to be cured by a ketogenic diet), and other health risks are probably my primary reason for eating like this. A very close secondary reason is the increased brain power and stamina that I experience. It truly is amazing. After those come weight.

The bottom line is I want to see my daughter finish school, get married, have kids, have grandkids, and get old before I die. I don't see any reason that this would be a problem as long as I keep doing the things that make me healthy and the Lord tarries. Lord willing, I'd like to see this happen with a few as of yet unborn children of mine do the same.

My wife, who is decidedly not overweight and has the genetics of the side of her family who does not easily gain weight, also eats this way because the research I showed her on the health benefits of this type of diet were so compelling that she felt it irresponsible not to switch to this type of diet.
8/28/13 11:43 am

Post bonnie knox
I'm satisfied with the level of moderation in my lifestyle, and this is the size I am. I don't ever really feel as fat as I look in photographs, so I basically don't "feel" as fat as I really am.
I don't work out, but I love doing yard work and taking walks. Most women I know are obsessed with their size and appearance. I'm just not.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
8/28/13 1:22 pm

Post Troy Hamby
my only question is can you drink Mt. Dew??? Very Happy Golf Cart Mafia Soldier
8/28/13 1:29 pm

Post shaunbwilson
bonnie knox wrote:
I'm satisfied with the level of moderation in my lifestyle, and this is the size I am. I don't ever really feel as fat as I look in photographs, so I basically don't "feel" as fat as I really am.
I don't work out, but I love doing yard work and taking walks. Most women I know are obsessed with their size and appearance. I'm just not.

I truly find this interesting. Thanks very much for sharing it with me.
8/28/13 1:31 pm

Post JLarry
Well I am not over weight, I am to short for my weight. And I am 6'1". I am trying to figure out how tall I need to be.

I have been told I carry my weight good. That I right I carry it every step I make.

That's why I do not run. Run is not fun to me.
Acts Mod
8/28/13 1:35 pm

Post shaunbwilson
Troy Hamby wrote:
my only question is can you drink Mt. Dew??? Very Happy

You can drink Diet Mt. Dew, which actually, in my opinion, is the diet soda that tastes closest to its non-diet self.

To be a bit more specific, you'd need to find out if Diet Mt. Dew uses a type of sweetener that causes your specific insulin to spike. I discussed this in the sweeteners section of a post on the first page. Some people can drink diet sodas no problem. Some people have insulin surges just from their brain perceiving sweet in their mouth and anticipating it to be sugar, so before the drink even hits your esophagus, the brains of the severely metabolically resistant can be flooding their blood stream with insulin. I believe that over extended periods of time this can change and your brain can get used to not sending out loads of insulin before knowing it needs it.

Even more interesting to me is that some people can literally just think about getting ready to eat something sweet and their brain panics with an insulin flood. This is sort of like when you think about biting into a lemon or drinking a shot of vinegar or tasting A1 sauce and even though you haven't put anything in your mouth, just the anticipation of doing so can cause your mouth to water.

Having said that, Mt. Dew's not on my list of foods I currently eat because my favorite drinks are coffee and water. This was the case even before I did Atkins in the early 2000s. Occasionally, I like to have a diet cream soda, diet orange soda, or diet lemon/lime soda. Coffee I drink every morning and water I drink tons of naturally. Water's also cheaper by the ounce than soda. Very Happy
8/28/13 1:38 pm

Post shaunbwilson
JLarry wrote:
Well I am not over weight, I am to short for my weight. And I am 6'1". I am trying to figure out how tall I need to be.

I have been told I carry my weight good. That I right I carry it every step I make.

Funny. Smile

I was also told that I carried my weight well. No one believed that I was 220+ when I was that weight. So I guess I had that going for me. Wink

Be healthy, my friend.
8/28/13 1:41 pm

Post John Jett
Shaun, thanks in part to your encouragement, I've been eating low-carb for 4 weeks total now and I'm down 20 lbs altogether (not counting 8 lbs I had to "re-lose" when I cheated for a week after my first post on this thread. In the last 2 weeks I've found some incredible, energy giving and highly enjoyable foods that I never had 10 years ago when doing strictly Atkins for 3 years. 2 I'll mention are flaxseed-meal muffins (my bread fix!), and bulletproof coffee. The later of which gives me unbounded energy that I've never got from a Redbull or "energy drink".

Anyways, I just wanted to say thanks.
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
9/13/13 10:43 am

Post shaunbwilson
John Jett wrote:
Shaun, thanks in part to your encouragement, I've been eating low-carb for 4 weeks total now and I'm down 20 lbs altogether (not counting 8 lbs I had to "re-lose" when I cheated for a week after my first post on this thread. In the last 2 weeks I've found some incredible, energy giving and highly enjoyable foods that I never had 10 years ago when doing strictly Atkins for 3 years. 2 I'll mention are flaxseed-meal muffins (my bread fix!), and bulletproof coffee. The later of which gives me unbounded energy that I've never got from a Redbull or "energy drink".

Anyways, I just wanted to say thanks.

This is awesome to hear! I'm happy this is something that's working for you and that you decided to stick it out a bit longer. I also love the "muffins in a minute" and that's the recipe I use to make bread for grilled cheese. (I just make it in square Tupperware instead of a mug.) I'll have to get my wife's Oopsie recipe for you. They're a little more than a minute to make, but these things are seriously awesome white bread replacements.

Bulletproof coffee? Boy, howdy! I've been doing BP coffee every breakfast for about two months now. I started with the bulletproof brand coffee beans for the first month as a "baseline" to see if the brand really mattered. I've now found a coffee bean that meets the same strict guidelines, but tastes better at a local Baltimore roaster. Make sure you're using grass-fed butter and MCT oil. If you're not using these two items, you're leaving some energy and focus on the table. This is likely THE healthiest breakfast you could have with great doses of Vitamins A, D, E, K2, CLA, beta carotein, and antioxidants. It's also got short, medium, and long chain triglycerides, which all have different digestion times so it keeps you full for what seems like forever... But it sounds like I don't have to tell you that!
9/13/13 10:22 pm

Post shaunbwilson
Ernie Long wrote:
What about Pizza?

Can you have Like Little Caesar's or Pizza Hut Pizza?

Ernie, I'm really sorry I missed your question the first time around. I hope an answer late is better than never...

You can't eat a "real" slice of pizza on this diet due to the bread. However, occasionally I'll be at a buffet or something that includes pizza in the lineup and eat the cheese and toppings off of it. Unfortunately, most pizza sauce is high in sugar, so I try to eat only the cheese and other toppings the best that I can. You could theoretically do this with a Little Caesar's or Pizza Hut pizza, but because you're not eating the bread, it might not be the best bang for your buck.

If you're lucky enough to live near a Pizza Hut that still serves an all you can eat lunch buffet, then you might be able to make it worth the price!
9/13/13 10:35 pm

Post shaunbwilson
John Jett wrote:
In the last 2 weeks I've found some incredible, energy giving and highly enjoyable foods that I never had 10 years ago when doing strictly Atkins for 3 years.

Also, I'd like to hear more about this. I may have been doing this since February 2009, but I always love adding even more variety to my menu! When you have some time, please share some more.
9/13/13 10:39 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
Let me "weigh" in here. (sorry)

I have maintained my weight, within a few pounds, for over 3 years. Shaun will maintain as well. The reason is that we have REPLACED our old way of eating with a new way that we are totally happy (or gay) with. My vice used to be ice cream. It is now a banana with honey and natural peanut butter. I have NO desire for the old way. I do have ice cream every once in a while. A Chick-fil-A ice cream is not bad for me. In the old life, I would eat a half gallon of ice cream in one sitting.

The bottom line is, once you have become used to eating a different diet, you can maintain! Unlike going to heaven, there are many different routes to losing weight. Healthy is the key!!
Acts-pert Poster
9/14/13 6:57 am

Post John Jett
shaunbwilson wrote:
John Jett wrote:
In the last 2 weeks I've found some incredible, energy giving and highly enjoyable foods that I never had 10 years ago when doing strictly Atkins for 3 years.

Also, I'd like to hear more about this. I may have been doing this since February 2009, but I always love adding even more variety to my menu! When you have some time, please share some more.

Right now the flaxseed, almond flour, bulletproof coffee (my version so far is just gourmet coffee, coconut oil and unsalted butter and it gives me energy for about 6 hours, can't wait to upgrade and see what that does!). None of these things were widely known when I did this from 99 - 2003. Right now my plan is to try variations on the muffins, pancakes, savory (cheese and onion ) bread you can make with this. I have a lot of things to get to yet!
9/14/13 10:35 am

Post Eddie Robbins
Consider milled chia seeds too. Acts-pert Poster
9/14/13 11:10 am

Post John Jett
Eddie Robbins wrote:
Consider milled chia seeds too.
I will! I've got a lot of seeds I put on my salads, including chia, flax, sunflower, pumpkin. My wife was totally against me doing this diet again, but as I progress, she realizes its not the same as it once was, I'm eating things that she's been trying to get me to for years. I've completely got off diet colas and when I do have one, its VERY obvious that they do indeed increase my appetite (something I've heard for a long time but didn't know to be true). Like Shaun, I pretty much only drink coffee, almond milk, and water now with the occasional tea.
9/14/13 12:28 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
Smoothies are good too, although, you may not consider it a drink. I am actually drinking one now. Powdered peanut butter, whey powder and milled chia seeds with a little sweetener blended with ice. Good stuff!! It is a recovery drink for me. I just ran 8 miles at a 10:02 pace this morning. Acts-pert Poster
9/14/13 12:36 pm

Post John Jett
Eddie Robbins wrote:
Smoothies are good too, although, you may not consider it a drink. I am actually drinking one now. Powdered peanut butter, whey powder and milled chia seeds with a little sweetener blended with ice. Good stuff!! It is a recovery drink for me. I just ran 8 miles at a 10:02 pace this morning.

Yeah, I think I'll have one today. Maybe an avocado smoothie! I had one at a Vietnamese place a few months back and it was incredible!
9/14/13 12:40 pm

Post shaunbwilson
Eddie Robbins wrote:
I have maintained my weight, within a few pounds, for over 3 years. Shaun will maintain as well. The reason is that we have REPLACED our old way of eating with a new way that we are totally happy (or gay) with. [...] The bottom line is, once you have become used to eating a different diet, you can maintain! Unlike going to heaven, there are many different routes to losing weight. Healthy is the key!!

Thanks for these thoughts, Eddie, and congratulations on your ongoing success!

I did want to point out that my success wasn't simply finding a diet that I could maintain. I was able to maintain a low fat, high fiber, high complex carbohydrate diet while exercising and staying in Caloric deficit for almost a year, but it caused me to gain fat. At a certain point, I couldn't take the fact that this diet that I was able to stick to was causing me to gain weight, and my blood pressure, triglycerides, and cholesterol to quickly and steadily increase. That's when I switched to a ketogenic diet. Sticking to a diet has never been my problem. Finding a diet that caused me to lose weight and have healthy biomarkers was my hurdle. It also helps that the ketogenic diet keeps me from being hungry between meals; I never experienced that on a restricted calorie diet.

I know others just like me who ate a diet of oatmeal, fruit, "healthy" whole grains, and plenty of fiber, and stayed in Caloric deficit, but who gained weight doing these things. It has me convinced that it's not just sticking to a diet that's important, it's sticking to a diet that works for you. There are full books dedicated to showing why this might be the case and I'm excited that there's ongoing research on the subject.

There's also research being released now that shows that a low carbohydrate diet that's high in saturated fat is beneficial to heart health and preventing atherosclerosis (plaque in the arteries) as well as improving brain function, liver health, and kidney function. Sign me up for a diet that does all of that!

One thing we can agree on 100%: Chia seeds are pretty delicious! (They have a pretty good macronutrient makeup, too. Smile)
9/16/13 8:41 am

Post John Jett
I'm convinced that not every diet works for everyone. Unlike my wife who thinks everyone should eat her way (which I've tried and it works for a while but eventually I'm back to square one because I haven't learned how to deal with my cravings). Low-carb squashes my physical cravings. I can walk past a stack of donuts and not think twice about it. My only cravings now are psychological (when I think of food in a social setting, or imaging something I really love). Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
9/16/13 1:27 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.