Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

When Overseer won't call you back?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post When Overseer won't call you back? David Boggs
I really been evaluating my next step in ministry and have looked at a few options that didn't work out because of my "Story". I can accept that with both understanding and frustration.

One thing that must be considered is pastoring in Louisville which is my hometown. This is a place where the people know me... The good, the bad, and the ugly.

I submitted to a restoration program that seemed to be continually delayed because men in leadership intentionally tried to sabotage the process. One overseer (not current in KY) lied to the state council and told them I didn't even do restoration when in fact I was in the middle of it. There were days I wanted to quit and discussed it several times with those I was submitted too. I was told if you complete this you will be better off for it. So here I am several months after completion glad I did. Why? So my brothers in Christ can feel better about being connected to me in the Church of God.

So now I'm lost for direction... I have called and text the overseer of my former state to discuss my future and he has refused to call me back. Why? I'm not sure because I was told he spoke well of me in council meeting and actually mentioned me starting a church in Louisville and he would be supportive. What changed? I assume the famous saying "someone has his ear" has come to pass.

On a weekly basis I get several emails, calls, & text asking me to please return to pastoring. I always have been mindful of my former church and have been a huge advocate for people to remain there. But the truth is a harvest field is in Louisville and its fair for me to asses the potential of returning there to lead the people who need a shepherd and to reach Lost people God gave me a gift to do.

So what do I do now that I'm "Restored"? What am I really restored too? It seems to me the logical thing to do is pursue the will of God for my life.

If I have asked for a meeting and can't get a simple response do you just move on? Or do you stay on the bench until some overseer is willing to take a chance on you? I been on sideline a long time now and I have a burning desire to return to the frontline of ministry but I seem to be at a crossroad.

To me if God uses me to build another church it would be wise to be covered by those who launched with you? Kinda silly to do it and we bring it in later right?

I'm not angry or upset I just curious of what to do next without being labeled rebellious.

Thanks for any feedback
Acts-celerater
7/9/13 7:01 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
I would imagine a guy with the kind of talent and abilities as you have would have no problem getting a church started wherever God led and opened a door.

I would not wait on an overseer who did not call me back.

I also would not try to start over in the same town where I had a lot of baggage. I would probably not even try to start a church in my home town for that matter.

There are plenty of cities needing a good church out west. I would probably go west if I were you.

As far as the CoG organization is concerned, you could always bring an independent church in as an affiliate church eventually if you wanted the best of both worlds. I really can't imagine any overseer being upset with you starting a church in an area where it didn't compete with your former church. As much as it might seem like all the requests you are getting from folks in your former church are an indication of God opening a door for you, it is hard to imagine that resulting in a positive result in the end.

That's my 2c. Praying for you to find the will of God, David.

Last edited by Quiet Wyatt on 7/10/13 12:43 am; edited 2 times in total
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
7/9/13 8:43 pm

Post JLarry
My AB promised, promised, promised and did not keep his promise.

So now there an independent church in my town with my name on the door.

I still remember an article Doyle wrote in the early days of Acts. The article was about fishing from another boat.

I still wish Doyle would repost that article.
Acts Mod
7/9/13 8:54 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
David
I am not sure starting a church in the town you were in is a good idea. Start fresh somewhere else, if possible. Expand your requests to other states. Someone should "take a chance" on you.
just my o ... feel free to disregard.
7/9/13 9:57 pm

Post Brandon Bowers
I can just about guarantee you that if you start a church anywhere on Earth, and then inform your AB that you want to make it a COG, as long as there's cash flow and some growth, you'll be welcomed with open arms.
7/9/13 9:57 pm

Post I want to disagree with some others... W. Ray Williams
Why not start a church in Louisville...your hometown...

It is the place where you have lived, loved, laughed, sinned and found restoration. Why not also find redemption there in planting a church and drawing other "dreamer, liars and misfits" (Jonathan Martin) to your message of sin, repentance, forgiveness, restoration and redemption.

I think staying right there and building the Kingdom of God in the ashes of your own failure is a powerful testimony of God's goodness.

I generally do not wait on people. That gets me in trouble, but I like to believe that I do what God demands even if it is not on "people time'>

Ray
Acts-celerater
7/9/13 10:09 pm

Post mytimewillcome
Strange. This doesn't seem like the David Boggs I remember. Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
7/9/13 10:16 pm

Post Bro Bob
My instinct says don't return to Louisville. Not sure why.

I give you a ton of credit for submitting to the Church's restoration process. Honestly, since your transgression came while you were a representative of the church, I believe you had a moral obligation. Either way, you have my full respect. But I also believe they have a duty to keep their end of the deal, yet nothing surprises me when those who are over us smirk at the thought.

I am not comparing you to the demoniac of Ghedera (sp?) but when he begged Jesus to let him leave with him, Jesus insisted that he stay right where he was. I believe that was because he was so well known, and the difference between his before and after was so evident, that he was most useful there.

So seek God about it. Don't talk yourself into anything. But if you can find a peace about it, a peace from God, then you will be in his will.

You may be more useful now than you ever were before to the King's domain.

Mark the complete / mature man, for the end of that man is peace. ~ King David.

Peace is the best deal you can make while you wear skin. ~ Bro Bob.
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
7/9/13 11:23 pm

Post Cojak
Above most things, I like honesty. This sounds and rings of honesty, so I cannot help but like it. Once you TRY to do it 'their way', it may be time to do it His way using your talent.

That is just how I feel from the side lines and know very little of the facts here, but I feel honesty. SURELY THAT COUNTS FOR SOMETHING. Shocked
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
7/10/13 12:26 am

Post Kyle Morrow
I commend you for following through with the Restoration process, and it is unfortunate that you are having problems with your AB. I'll give you a nickels worth of free advice. You aren't going to have your problems solved by expressing those frustrations here. I would imagine if your AB gets wind of it, it will in no way help your relationship or situation. Call his secretary and schedule and appointment. Meet with him face to face. If he gives you his blessing, start a church in Louisville (I also don't think that will be a good idea, it will cripple the church you used to serve, and God is not the author of confusion.) I pray you find the correct door to go through. I know there are many more good years of fruitful ministry in you.
7/10/13 12:48 am

Post georgiapath
Let's see if I have this right......... Jim Bolin gets to go back to Trinity Chapel as Senior pastor but David shouldn't start another church in Louisville.

Doesn't sound exactly fair to me.
Acts-dicted
7/10/13 4:42 am

Post David Boggs
I have no intent to "Cripple" any church. I have looked at other areas of ministry and because of my story I have to relive and explain and explain all over again.

In Louisville I am we'll known and the people who would come would do so already knowing my Baggage.

There are hundreds of people who are still misplaced and attending church no where and it breaks my heart to read and hear from them. Will my former church suffer? To be honest it doesn't even exist and what isnI don't know for sure. Within a 5 mile radius of my former church is 4 church of God churches.

I have always wanted the right thing. I have been blessed by the executive committee, my overseer and mentoring Pastor in Tennessee, even throughout the country but it seems Kentucky wants nothing to do with me. (As far as leadership goes) The procedure has been to start a church you need to go through the overseer and after months of trying and waiting with no response you simply get frustrated without a courtesy of return call.

In my Restoration process One of my friends and counselors told me always speak the truth.... That's all I'm doing because truth sets us free! My heart is in Louisville and I wanted to explore the possibility of a new ministry in Louisville with the Kentucky Church of God.

Crossroads are tough but at the end of the day ill do the right thing.
Acts-celerater
7/10/13 7:11 am

Post Re: Big difference! David Boggs
4Golf

You have assumed way too much in your post.

Have you prayed about me Pastoring in Louisville? Anywhere for that matter?

You have missed my heart on the matter and for that I'm sorry.

I have spent years in prayer and perhaps a re-read of my post would help you find and great desire to return to pastoring is in me.

People asking one to Pastor is not a reason enough to do so... I could have continued on after my failure with multiplied hundreds of people who wanted me too. I chose a restorative route because it was right thing to do.

Thank you Brother
Acts-celerater
7/10/13 7:24 am

Post Delete 4golf
Delete. My first reponse to this post by David was deleted and who ever deleted that one left the second. It made no sense to delete that one and left this one, so I deleted it this one. It would be nice to know why it was deleted and what was wrong with it.

Last edited by 4golf on 7/12/13 6:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bound By Beaulah
7/10/13 7:46 am

Post David wayne
Check your in-box.

Last edited by wayne on 7/12/13 7:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Acts Enthusiast
7/10/13 8:06 am

Post David Boggs
4golf

Why would anyone be at war for winning souls to the kingdom?

I'm not attacking anyone or waging war... I'm talking about a new ministry and my war will be against the devil not another church.

At the end of the day I have no desire to attract people from other churches.
Acts-celerater
7/10/13 8:19 am

Post Eddie Robbins
David, the desire you have in your heart comes from Him. Follow your heart because it is following Him. If the COG route is closed, go another way, just go! Blessings!! Acts-pert Poster
7/10/13 8:25 am

Post Restoration is more than a process... Clint Wills
David,
You mentioned that you went through the restoration process as laid out by the COG...that GREAT!! Several years ago my wife and I had some pretty hard times that resulted in me living elsewhere for a time. We went through counseling together and as individuals. When I completed my counseling there wasn't a magic light bulb that came on that my wife unequivocally trusted me from then on. That process took years and years to complete. If you continue to trust God and follow what He tells you to do, then HE will bring the relationships back.
Something to keep in mind (that I had to remind myself of often) is that your situation is not the AB's fault...it's not the COGs fault...and it's not another church or pastor's fault. You made some bad decisions, and the consequences of those decisions don't go away because the COG says you're fit for ministry. I know this may sound very harsh...and probably stuff you've thought about before...but it's the truth. Just because we've taken steps toward restoration and forgiveness does not mean that our road will be easy.

I pray that you find a place to minister and reach the lost, and that God is able to use you wherever He needs you. I hope that your ministry goes on to great success in His Kingdom, but I think your anger should be pointed more at the devil and less at an unresponsive AB.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
7/10/13 8:48 am

Post David Boggs
Clint

I agree with 95 percent of your post.

But I'm not angry at the AB or anyone for that matter... I'm just ready for the next step and I wanted to discuss it.

I don't need the Church of God in Kentucky I guess part of me wanting them.
Acts-celerater
7/10/13 8:52 am

Post Bigger than God? David Douglas
Sometimes I find myself getting frustrated with things that are not moving the way I want. I see my plan as God's plan and anything that is slowing it down cannot be of God. That was the way I was feeling about an opportunity to pastor in the Church of God years ago. I had asked to be considered for a certain church and when it came open the Overseer placed someone there who had no credentials with the organization. It was a slap in my face and against the burden I was carrying in my spirit for that church and community. A couple of more organizations had been trying to get me to come pastor with them and I thought that must be the direction for my ministry. Then someone asked me a very wise question -- "Who is bigger the Church of God or God?" My answer of course was God and the response was "If that is true why don't you start acting like it?" If God wanted me in that church then it did not matter what the Overseer wanted I would be in that church. Less than two months later I was appointed pastor of that church.
In order to allow God to work things out for my good I had to keep my ego in check (that is sometimes difficult for me). My attitude was extremely important in those two months leading up to that appointment. I found this experience to be extremely important for my next church appointment also. In that next appointment, a former overseer, had left in my file that I was to never be allowed to pastor in that community. When the next overseer came he called me to come visit with him and ended up running my name for pastor at the church I was to never pastor. I ended up spending 20 years pastoring that church.
I have found my problem is often not allowing God to be bigger than the Church of God or whatever else is confronting me. The Church of God leadership can be moved by the Spirit of the Lord is what I have found. I want to make sure that I make God bigger than anything blocking my future!
7/10/13 9:28 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.