Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Buck Marshall resigns, surrenders credentials
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Buck Marshall resigns, surrenders credentials John Jett
It is with great sadness that I must report that my pastor, Buck Marshall, has resigned as pastor of the Ennis Church of God and surrendered his credentials to the Church of God General Overseer Mark Williams, who said that he would (reluctantly) accept them in good standing.

Buck is 4th generation Church of God, a graduate of Lee University, an ordained bishop, as well as a life-long member of this local church.

I'm not inclined at the moment to share all of the details, but I will say the following conditions are true;
1. All major bills have been paid and current
2. There is no disciplinary issues (moral, ethical, or otherwise)
3. Buck leaves in good standing with the COG
4. Rhea Marshall, the entire elders board, and all church employees have resigned as well
5. The majority, if not all, of the congregation has indicated it will also leave. (edit - this is my opinion based on conversations among people after the service, it was clearly stated by the pastor that if anyone wanted to stay, then they were welcomed to and under no pressure to leave and would have the pastors's support, blessing and love)
6. The church was left in orderly repair with all contents in place ready for the next pastor. Nothing whatsoever is expected to be an inconvenience to the next occupant.

I am a former elder of the church so I am privy to some of the details from past years that have contributed, but I resigned that position over a year ago and I'm hoping that some of the clergy here will take that part up in this discussion as I am not involved directly in the leadership of the Church of God, neither do I feel inclined to further discuss it at this moment as it is yet too near to the heart of myself, my family, my friends and my pastors.

I will say that my intentions here (though I'm extremely disappointed) are not to lash out but to try to open a discussion that may help to expose areas that could further damage this organization if not addressed. I believe that the Church of God has lost one of its best and brightest today.

Last edited by John Jett on 7/1/13 11:21 am; edited 2 times in total
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
7/1/13 7:50 am

Post philunderwood
I am interested in this situation. I am perplexed if the scenario I read (and it seems true by reading between your lines) is correct. I am further disappointed that our system, in this case you reference the helpful spirit of Dr Williams, cannot suspend actions like what Buck felt he had to do. Maybe there is something in polity that compels state/regional leadership to action even against their own best judgment. Sometimes, and I have had to bite on this, the letter of the law doesn't allow us to even consider the spirit of the law.

I applaud you in asking for a dialogue, but I do not know if we can have one without the alternate view of this from a state administration official. However, your query is very germane.

Grace and Peace to all in, and associated with, that local church.

Discover More...
http://www.refocusing.org

A Mission in Formation
www.bluewaterinthekeys.com

Last edited by philunderwood on 7/1/13 9:20 am; edited 2 times in total
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
7/1/13 8:13 am

Post John Jett
Thanks Phil. I will say that to my knowledge, as soon as Mark Williams found out that Buck had been removed as pastor, he worked hard to keep Pastor Marshall in the COG. The issues/catalysts were much more at the state level than at the national. Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
7/1/13 8:23 am

Post sheepdogandy
Who removed him?

www.spwc.church
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
7/1/13 8:30 am

Post Re: Buck Marshall resigns, surrenders credentials Troy Hamby
John Jett wrote:

5. The majority, if not all, of the congregation has indicated it will also leave.
6. The church was left in orderly repair with all contents in place ready for the next pastor. Nothing whatsoever is expected to be an inconvenience to the next occupant.

wouldn't no people left in the church be somewhat of a minor inconvenience to the next pastor?
Golf Cart Mafia Soldier
7/1/13 8:47 am

Post bonnie knox
Quote:
I believe that the Church of God has lost one of its best and brightest today.

I only know Buck Marshall from Acts, but even from just that knowledge, I've been impressed with his energy, diligence, and good nature.
Definitely a loss for the COG.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
7/1/13 8:49 am

Post That's interesting... Clint Wills
That is super sad news. I have only really known Buck through Acts, but I have met him once at a GA.
I also love Wayne Dority and think the world of him - he was my AB before he went to Texas.
I hope everything works with this stuff, but I'm sorry to hear that Buck is leaving.
7/1/13 9:17 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
Pretty sad news.

Nothing else to say.
7/1/13 9:20 am

Post Change Agent
Sounds from the post that it was a big problem with the State Officials for the OB and the entire congregation leaving. Most of these situations (not this one) are about money. How large was this church?

In most situations like this COG officials want the incident to stay under cover and not to be discussed on Acts. In my opinion, discussion may keep incidents like this from happening in the future.
Acts Enthusiast
7/1/13 12:34 pm

Post Buck zjudah1
I have always liked Buck, honestly still do. He was in Campus Choir with my son a few years back. He went out to Texas to replant that church, from all I've seen was doing a wonderful job. Saw him at the last General Assembly and told him I'd used some of his sermon material. He go a kick out of it.
I still hope all can be worked out.

Still a Buck fan

Rod Cannon
Friendly Face
7/1/13 1:28 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Sorry to hear this. Hopefully something can be worked out. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
7/1/13 2:13 pm

Post Re: Buck Marshall resigns, surrenders credentials Daniel Rushing
John Jett wrote:
It is with great sadness that I must report that my pastor, Buck Marshall, has resigned as pastor of the Ennis Church of God and surrendered his credentials to the Church of God General Overseer Mark Williams, who said that he would (reluctantly) accept them in good standing.

Buck is 4th generation Church of God, a graduate of Lee University, an ordained bishop, as well as a life-long member of this local church.

I'm not inclined at the moment to share all of the details, but I will say the following conditions are true;
1. All major bills have been paid and current
2. There is no disciplinary issues (moral, ethical, or otherwise)
3. Buck leaves in good standing with the COG
4. Rhea Marshall, the entire elders board, and all church employees have resigned as well
5. The majority, if not all, of the congregation has indicated it will also leave. (edit - this is my opinion based on conversations among people after the service, it was clearly stated by the pastor that if anyone wanted to stay, then they were welcomed to and under no pressure to leave and would have the pastors's support, blessing and love)

I am a former elder of the church so I am privy to some of the details from past years that have contributed, but I resigned that position over a year ago and I'm hoping that some of the clergy here will take that part up in this discussion as I am not involved directly in the leadership of the Church of God, neither do I feel inclined to further discuss it at this moment as it is yet too near to the heart of myself, my family, my friends and my pastors.

I will say that my intentions here (though I'm extremely disappointed) are not to lash out but to try to open a discussion that may help to expose areas that could further damage this organization if not addressed. I believe that the Church of God has lost one of its best and brightest today.

Is this Ennis Church of God or New Hope in Ennis, TX?
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
7/1/13 5:22 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
Daniel,
It is New Hope in Ennis, Texas. The website still had Buck's impressive bio posted - where he apparently worked with Tom Sterbens near Sevierville at one time.
7/1/13 6:09 pm

Post Daniel Rushing
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
Daniel,
It is New Hope in Ennis, Texas. The website still had Buck's impressive bio posted - where he apparently worked with Tom Sterbens near Sevierville at one time.

Okay. Yeah, I found the website. I still thought he was with Tom. (Shows how out of the loop I am.) I listened to his last sermon there. He seemed confident that the change coming up in the future of the church was of God; he even quoted a word of prophecy given him by Tom a year ago about this upcoming transition.

I have only met Buck once; but have never heard anything but good about him, his family, and his ministry. This is sad news to me.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
7/1/13 6:21 pm

Post Re: Buck Marshall resigns, surrenders credentials Rafael D Martinez
John Jett wrote:
I believe that the Church of God has lost one of its best and brightest today.

That may be true, but that was by his choice ..

.. and apparently an entire church staff as well as the church is going with him. These are never good things to hear or behold.

One day a church is. The next day it is not. I am shaking my head.

I have no proverbial dog in the hunt, but I am not understanding what happened, nor the intent of this post. Therefore, I'll ask the questions. Bear in mind, John, I mean neither you nor Buck any disrespect, but there's no way you can post something of this magnitude without raising the very obvious questions that need to be answered:

Why did he turn in his credentials?

Is Buck leaving the ministry?

Why did an entire staff do likewise?

Why did a majority of church members suddenly indicate they were going to leave? Just where are they are going?

I do not ask them to fight or condemn .. just to understand. Something truly radical happened here and there's no way to understand it without context. If Buck's still on here, I trust he will speak for himself.

Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth? Galatians 4:16

These are trying times. Everyone's trying something and getting caught. The Church Lady, 1987
Acts-dicted
7/1/13 7:43 pm

Post So, somebody please explain to me COG born and bred
What has the COG won here? Would it not have been better to just let the pastor and congregation have the property they had labored to build? Now, all the COG has left is an empty building, which stands as a testimony to the entire community that denominationalism is a greedy system that would rather lose a congregation than a piece of real estate. Proof again that our movement doesn't understand kingdom. Too bad there wasn't a huge enough indebtedness. Otherwise, they could have kept their property.
7/1/13 8:06 pm

Post John Jett
PM sent Rafael. Your questions are valid. I don't know that I have all of the answers and I feel there are others that post here that may be able to answer better than I. I know this is being discussed at the highest levels so I expect some of the answers will be forthcoming. I can only answer one question briefly.

Buck Marshall is not leaving Ennis as he feels that God has not released him from ministry here. And as should be expected, those who have labored with him and shared the vision for over 6 years have not been called away from that work either.
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
7/1/13 11:08 pm

Post Re: So, somebody please explain to me Cojak
[quote="COG born and bred"]What has the COG won here? ------------------------------. Proof again that our movement doesn't understand kingdom. Too bad there wasn't a huge enough indebtedness. Otherwise, they could have kept their property.[/quote]

That is a valid point. Also sort of a shame looking from the outside in. Shocked
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
7/2/13 12:05 am

Post Carolyn Smith
So did the pastor resign or was he removed? You said both, John.
7/2/13 5:51 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
Carolyn,

It appears he was told he was going to be removed (for an unknown reason as far as Acts is concerned - it wasn't disclosed - but not for moral reasons).

It appears the pastor didn't wait - he resigned - and is staying in town - and most (almost all) are going with him to a new facility. If that is true - the folks closest to the situation all sided with the pastor.

Also - to bolster the case of no wrong doing - the General Overseer accepted his resignation with reluctance and as a former pastor in good standing.

If that is so - perhaps the general overseer needs to do whatever is necessary to reinstate him - everyone forgive one another - and move on.

However, all of the above, is only based on what has been posted here.

All I know is - Buck Marshall was a regular poster here at one time - and I remember him being a reasonable, solid Christian guy. I know no one else in this whole situation - and I am not pointing any fingers at anyone. I just hope it can be resolved still.
7/2/13 7:27 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.