Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Your Criteria for Performing Wedding Ceremonies
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post bonnie knox
Quote:
But I do believe the actual laws that God gave to certain people in that culture are holy, just, and good.

However, if you take the high view of scripture that you purport to take, you will have to acknowledge that scripture itself indicates some of the laws God gave actually accomodated man's weaknesses and were not His ideal. For example, the law God gave Moses for divorcement accomodated their hardness of heart. The law God gave restricting access to the holy place to Levite males was absolutely shattered by Christ's sacrifice.
The law of Moses prescribed capital punishment for murder UNLESS it happened to be the murder of a slave at the hands of his master's beating, in which case the master was only punished. If the slave somehow managed to live a few days before dying, it appears the master got off scot free. As you can see, however holy, just, and good that is, it does not rise to the level Christ's admonition to do unto others as you would have done unto you or to the New Testament ideals of not having respect of persons.
There is a trajectory throughout scripture that cannot be honestly ignored.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/13/13 8:51 am

Post bonnie knox
Link wrote:
The idea that priests/elders of the church have the authority to declare couples married by pronouncing them to be wed in a ceremony has no basis in scripture.

That is a very interesting statement in light of this thread. If a church elder has no scriptural authority to declare someone married, the question of what the criteria that elder has for performing the wedding would be absolutely moot, would it not?
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/13/13 8:57 am

Post mytimewillcome
bonnie knox wrote:
Link wrote:
The idea that priests/elders of the church have the authority to declare couples married by pronouncing them to be wed in a ceremony has no basis in scripture.

That is a very interesting statement in light of this thread. If a church elder has no scriptural authority to declare someone married, the question of what the criteria that elder has for performing the wedding would be absolutely moot, would it not?

Exactly Idea
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
1/13/13 3:01 pm

Post Link
bonnie knox wrote:
Link wrote:

That seems to be a very one-dimensional way of looking at the issue, IMO. Is there seriously any COG preacher who thinks that the God in the Bible actually gives preachers the authority to marry? Has anyone ever put forth a Biblical case for this? I know Roman Catholics think that way about their preisthood, but they rely on 'Holy Tradition' in addition to scripture. Are there any COG preachers who wouldn't accept a couple married bya judge?

Getting married in a way that our culture and society approves of is important, too. It's a bad witness to do otherwise if nothing else.

It is one thing to say we should have the 'cultural trappings' necessary for a couple to be acknowledged as married by society.... in addition to what the Bible requires. If an elder is going to officiate over a ceremony where the father gives the bride away, I don't see a problem with that. If we acknowledge that the tradition of having an elders of the church do this is a cultural tradition, that doesn't mean we can't do it, as long as we do what God requires in addition to scripture, too. Every society has it's own wedding traditions. I bought a pig and the cooked meat was distributed to various relatives in my wife's family as a part of ours as a part of their cultural tradition. I got adopted in to a family name of the tribe, too.

If the preacher performing the ceremony is a cultural tradition, and in the US, an option for being legally married, shouldn't he at least see to it that any wedding he performs is of couples doing what is right, according to scripture, to be married? I don't think anyone on this forum thinks a preacher has authority to really make two men married to each other. The Bible gives no authority for such things. Where does the Bible give preachers authority to marry people who are divorced contrary to God's word, who have an ex-spouse to reconcile with, for example? Is it right to marry off an 18-year-old virgin girl, for example, whose father doesn't approve of the wedding? Is that Biblical? Shouldn't the preacher's role to be to help people obey the word of God when it comes to marriage?
1/13/13 6:50 pm

Post Patrick Harris
Del

Last edited by Patrick Harris on 1/13/13 8:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
Acts Enthusiast
1/13/13 7:17 pm

Post bonnie knox
Quote:
Is it right to marry off an 18-year-old virgin girl, for example, whose father doesn't approve of the wedding? Is that Biblical?

As I mentioned before, it might not be the most judicious thing to do, but I don't see scripture to preclude it.
I once rented a room from a lady who had, in her younger days, run off to SC to get married because she was underaged in NC. If I remember correctly, she did not have parental approval. She bore her husband 13 children and was widowed in her 40's or 50's. She never remarried. I knew her when she was in her 70's or 80's. She always referred to her husband this way, "Nobody got along better than me and Drewey."
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/13/13 7:25 pm

Post bonnie knox
Oh, that reminds me of another lady from my hometown who had 13 children too. She married at the age of 13. (I think the groom was in his mid-thirties.) He father was reported to have said that he would just as soon see her go to the graveyard as to walk down that aisle. Three of her children married three of my father's siblings.
She was a spiritual matriarch in the community.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/13/13 7:30 pm

Post Link
bonnie knox wrote:
Oh, that reminds me of another lady from my hometown who had 13 children too. She married at the age of 13.

Bonnie,
Your home town wouldn't happen to be in Afghanistan, would it? Very Happy
1/13/13 7:50 pm

Post bonnie knox
Link wrote:
bonnie knox wrote:
Oh, that reminds me of another lady from my hometown who had 13 children too. She married at the age of 13.

Bonnie,
Your home town wouldn't happen to be in Afghanistan, would it? Very Happy

I was going to ask the same of you. Shocked
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/13/13 8:06 pm

Post This thread got strange Dan Eason
Unless they are members of my church or family, I try to avoid marrying anybody. The random "yellow page" calls for a preacher, I simply reject. Bottom line: I only want to participate in creating covenants that will be honored.
1/15/13 4:24 pm

Post bonnie knox
Quote:
This thread got strange

Well, Dan, so far things seem to be fairly tame over at the new forum. You might want to try that.
I'm waiting to jump in over there till they start talking about nekkid art models at Lee U. who have tattoos and drink wine. Maybe that is something Beaulah can support. After all, she is against wearing britches.

Quote:
Unless they are members of my church or family, I try to avoid marrying anybody.

Trying to avoid marrying anybody is a good policy, I think. I did it once and it got me into a heap of trouble.
Of course you sound like them boys in Alabama, trying not to marry anybody but family. Shocked

(~muttering to herself~ Strange, I'll show you strange Evil or Very Mad )
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/15/13 5:28 pm

Post New Forum Dan Eason
OK, thread officially high-jacked. I didn't get past the cover page, is there any substance to it? One assumes it will be . . . ahhhh . . . carefully managed . . . I like it here, anyway.
Actscelerate has a nice homey feel to it.
1/16/13 11:47 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.