Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Pastor charged with "unbecoming conduct".
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Travis Johnson
There is no way in the world this is legit. If it is, we have admin that has too much time on their hands. Acts-dicted
10/12/12 7:27 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Not saying it would be good to go back (ha ha), but it used to be the tithe of tithe (10%) plus missions (5%) divided equally between state and international offices. We all got into the habit of calling the 15% total "the tithe of tithe," but it actually was TOT plus missions. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/12/12 7:30 pm

Post This Thread Lee Roy Brown
Liar, Liar pants on fire. Friendly Face
10/12/12 7:48 pm

Post Most likely this NEVER happened...but Rife Stewart
hear me, hear me, hear me....I would never apologize for something so ridiculous. I would be finding out who sent that tape and finding another council man/woman.

This is too stupid to be true.
Acts-celerater
10/12/12 7:55 pm

Post Witchita Falls Maurine St. Clyde Walker
I have good friends who attend this church and they know about it. They absolutely love their pastor and do not think he has done anything to be sorry for.

They claim it was stirred up by a staff member who had been fired. He went to the overseer with the recording of the meeting.

More than two thirds of the congregation have come to the church since the present pastor arrived and are very supportive of him.

If you doubt this is true you can contact the State Overseer Wayne Dority at 817-599-7691.
Friendly Face
10/12/12 8:13 pm

Post JLarry
Assuming the story is cut and dry as you posted.

Simply go visit the AB and say; I came here to reason with you today. If he is unreasonable say; "Mr. Big, I did or said nothing that I need to apologize for. If you make this an issue I will take it to the Gen Department, if they want to make an issue of it, you will have one less GoG in this town. You may have a few folks left but the majority of us will be in another location where CoG will not be on the sign".

By the way you may get sued for having a recording, that I knew nothing of in sessions that I was a part of.

You may bully others, but I am not intimated by bullies.
Acts Mod
10/12/12 8:27 pm

Post In my opinion, roughridercog
It seems like a petty contest.

I won't say what kind.

That would not be proper

But charging a man with improper conduct over such a thing is in my opinion a gross over reaction and abuse of power if all the facts given are accurate.
10/12/12 8:28 pm

Post Youngpastor04
What in the world does this mean?

Quote:
I really don't give a tinker's dam.
[/b]
Friendly Face
10/12/12 9:54 pm

Post Here in Michigan appleofhiseye
We're more Godly. We refer to it as a franchise fee. LOL!!! Member
10/12/12 9:59 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Youngpastor04 wrote:
What in the world does this mean?

Quote:
I really don't give a tinker's dam.
[/b]
http://www.usingenglish.com/reference/idioms/not+worth+a+tinker's+dam.html
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/12/12 10:07 pm

Post chainrattler
Eddie Robbins wrote:
If it is not 10%, it can't be called a tithe. What is wrong with calling it a tax? How about a fee? Why is this so sensitive?

Because it is common practice to try to spiritualize things that cannot be supported by twisting Scripture or appealing to religious sensitivities to get emotional support that ignores the tough questions of the issue.
Acts-celerater
10/12/12 10:08 pm

Post Cojak
curly wrote:
Thank you Clyde. My daddy's name was Clyde. He was a great man.

Clyde is a good name. Knew several Clyde Davis, Clyde Collings, Clyde Jones, Clyde Williams, all good men.

Yeah it is off the subject.

But on the subject I agree with JLarry not sure about if I agree with LRB, not sure if the liar refers to a commenter or the orig. poster. Confused
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
10/12/12 10:27 pm

Post SouthGeorgiaBoy
Eddie Robbins wrote:
If it is not 10%, it can't be called a tithe. What is wrong with calling it a tax? How about a fee? Why is this so sensitive?

It is sensitive not because of the verbage used but the spirit behind the verbage. In my opinion, if a pastor does not like the tithe of tithe then he can always resign the church and go pastor outside the Church of God. The tot was in place before any of us accepted the church to pastor.

To complain about it after the fact is really childish and immature, in my opinion.
Acts Enthusiast
10/12/12 11:00 pm

Post Re: Most likely this NEVER happened...but Daniel Rushing
Rife Stewart wrote:

This is too stupid to be true.

I have learned to never say that! Especially in the COG. It is sounding more and more like this actually happened.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
10/12/12 11:06 pm

Post Link
Doesn't it make sense to think of the real, genuine Old Testament tithe given to the Levites as a kind of divine tax? Sure, people don't like the word tax. But the temple tax was a tax. Is it wrong for it to be seen as a tax?
10/13/12 5:01 am

Post theElder
Tom Sterbens wrote:
Guys...
What do you say we actually take the biblical path forward?
Hold our tongue.
Honor those in leadership and give them the benefit of the doubt (wouldn't all of us who pastor actually enjoy such benefit?)
Inquire of those in leadership for clarity.
Then draw your conclusion, and next action based on instruction from scripture for resolving matters of conflict.

I don't know Bishop Wayne Dority personally but have heard nothing but commendable things about him from people who do.

Now, Tom!

Why in the world would we do that? For the most part, this is another shining example of taking the word of one poster, jumping on the bandwagon and bashing one of the 'powers that be' because 'everybody' knows that it has to be true since it is a negative comment on the CoG.

Perhaps it is true since someone has given the name of the AB but wouldn't it have been a better Christian response to have demanded more info than was contained in any of the posts by Rayford Harrison before taking it at face value?

Now, all you who have raised concerns about what was claimed ought to call that AB and hear the whole story. Perhaps your first response was justified but you certainly won't know until you hear the other side of it!
Acts Enthusiast
10/13/12 9:13 am

Post chainrattler
I can see where calling something a "tax", that should be given "not reluctantly or under compulsion" but cheerfully, would be offensive to those in leadership, especially since the provision was agreed to by the Church years ago.

The use of such terminology denigrates the agreed upon polity of the Church of God and makes it seem less like a spiritual organization and more like a worldly political organization. That would be an insult of a high degree to those who hold the Church in high regard. After all, taxes are secular, tithes are spiritual. To call a tithe a tax is irreverent and borders on blasphemy.
Acts-celerater
10/13/12 11:22 am

Post Bro Bob
Tom's input changes everything.

The original post indicated a pastor had been "censured for one year" for referring to the ToT as a "tax".

A "censure" is a public expression of formal disapproval. You don't get "censured for one year", as stated in the original post. But the charge of "conduct unbecoming" is a formal charge for which a trial must be held if the offender is credentialed. If found guilty of the charge, "censure" is one of the options available to the AB if he feels it is sufficient to correct the wrong and prevent a recurrence. His discretion. However, an official letter of reprimand from the AB would not require a trial, since no punishment comes with the reprimand. And keeping a copy of the letter on file is not only allowable, but a proper action.

Tom's statements assert that the pastor was actually guilty of making false and misleading statements to staff or possibly lay-leaders.

If true, such an act would certainly be supportive of conduct unbecoming, and I agree with Tom, a letter of reprimand would be erring on the side of leniency, and certainly not heavy handed as the original post suggested.

There is a heart problem here. And it doesn't appear that it is the AB who has the condition.
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
10/13/12 2:17 pm

Post theElder
Thank you, Tom, for checking it out so that the right information could be presented and folks could quit badmouthing an AB who obviously was more lenient to the errant pastor than he had to be! Acts Enthusiast
10/13/12 5:05 pm

Post Da Sheik
The "tithe of tithe" is nothing more than a franchise fee/ temple tax. I have no problem with that designation. Acts Enthusiast
10/13/12 8:47 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.