Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Okay for Christians to take antidepressants?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Okay for Christians to take antidepressants? Quiet Wyatt
What do you say to someone who asks if it is okay for a Christian to be on antidepressant medication? I've known some pastors to say a Christian shouldn't need psychiatric help; that the Holy Spirit and the word of God is all they should ever need. I'd like to hear other opinions here, especially the rationale either for or against their use. Thanks! [Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/8/12 1:20 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
I personally don't see anything in Scripture against their use. I'm interested to see what some who frequent this board may say. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/8/12 1:27 pm

Post Re: Okay for Christians to take antidepressants? Clint Wills
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
What do you say to someone who asks if it is okay for a Christian to be on antidepressant medication? I've known some pastors to say a Christian shouldn't need psychiatric help; that the Holy Spirit and the word of God is all they should ever need. I'd like to hear other opinions here, especially the rationale either for or against their use. Thanks!

I'm on the fence about this stuff. I DEFINITELY believe that Christians can benefit from good Christian counsel. The Holy Spirit and the Word ARE all we need, but that doesn't mean that 1) we understand how our minds work all the time and 2) that we always give the Holy Spirit 1st priority in our lives. I believe addicts can be miraculously delivered, but they aren't always. Sometimes they need to retrain their thinking to depend on God rather than substances.
As far as meds, I believe they can be useful, but I also know that the world prescribes medications for depression, ADD, ADHD, and various other things WAY too readily. I know kids on medication that just need the same medication I got when I mis-behaved...A WHOOPIN'! But that certainly isn't everyone.
To me, saying that we don't need outside help when it comes to our psyche is like saying we don't need a doctor when break our neck. DUMB!
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
10/8/12 1:31 pm

Post Patrick Harris
I don't see the issue with taking anti-depressants.
If it helps manage a legitimate issue in someone's life.

Medicine can be abused, but that doesn't mean it doesn't help someone.

Patrick
Acts Enthusiast
10/8/12 1:40 pm

Post It's no different... roughridercog
Than any other medicine taken responsibly
10/8/12 1:42 pm

Post I don't want to hijack this post Curtis Lowe II
and I am admit that I am purposely "stirring the pot" but....

Why is it ok to take drugs for depression but many consider it a sin to drink a glass of wine or a beer to "relax and unwind" at the end of a stressful day?

"Don't taze me bro!"
Acts-celerater
10/8/12 1:48 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
It has been a blessing to my middle daughter who cannot survive without it. It is like any other medication for ailments we have. Acts-pert Poster
10/8/12 1:48 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Psychiatric problems are caused in part by imbalances of brain chemicals which medicine treats. There is also sometimes a therapeutic element to treating and overcoming psychiatric problems in which the Word of God is absolutely vital. They can certainly be healed by God without medicine. So can cancer.

Do pastors who believe Christians shouldn't take antidepressants also believe that Christians shouldn't take medicine for purely physical sicknesses and diseases? If not they are not being intellectually consistent; if so they are wrong in both cases.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/8/12 1:49 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Believe it or not, I have known several CoG and AoG pastors who were very much against any kind of psychiatric meds. The way they saw it, faith in God's word was absolutely all one needed for peace of mind. They said anyone who was taking them was doing so due to a lack of faith in God. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/8/12 1:49 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
I don't see it the same way they do, and I am wondering how others see this issue. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/8/12 1:51 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
I took antidepressants for a few years after going through a traumatic mental illness as a teenager. I was off them for close to 10 years. A few months ago I was listening to a friend tell me about how incredibly different his life was now that he was on antidepressants. In listening to him describe his symptoms that were now cured, I recognized several things I experienced but simply thought were normal. I went to my doctor and presented these symptoms along with my medical history and received a prescription for a low dose of antidepressants. And my goodness, my friend was right. I wasn't suffering before, in fact I never even knew that things were wrong. But now the anxiety I thought was just ordinary is completely gone. I have more energy, I sleep better, I get loads more done, and more. I still experience anxiety if the enemy attempts to put pressure on me, and on those cases I stand on the Word of God as I always have and hope I always will.

But I tell you what, it sure is nice to not have to go through every day using my faith to fight off anxiety over inconsequential things.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/8/12 1:56 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
How do you respond from Scripture to the argument some give against their use, that if one simply had faith in God's word, he would have peace of mind and would not need the meds? [Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/8/12 2:06 pm

Post roughridercog
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
How do you respond from Scripture to the argument some give against their use, that if one simply had faith in God's word, he would have peace of mind and would not need the meds?

I ask if I can clean their faithless glasses
10/8/12 2:18 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
How do you respond from Scripture to the argument some give against their use, that if one simply had faith in God's word, he would have peace of mind and would not need the meds?

The anxiousness is not caused by worry or doubt in the mind, it's caused by an imbalance of chemicals in the brain. It can be exacerbated by worry or doubt in the mind in the same way that someone without any chemical imbalance can cripple himself by yielding to worry or doubt. But in the case of a medical condition, oftentimes someone with a chemical imbalance feels anxious and ill at ease and has absolutely no idea why.

It's exactly the same argument as saying that someone who is physically ill doesn't need medicine, they just need to have faith in God's word for healing.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/8/12 2:39 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
It's always amazing when people throw out the "if you had enough faith" card.

Some of them wear glasses, have bad teeth, etc. Let me hit you over the head with a hammer and see how your faith for pain works for you.
Acts-pert Poster
10/8/12 2:47 pm

Post NPS39
Have you ever been truly depressed? Not a bad day or going through a trial, but actually depressed? If you have you can understand why people need this type of medical assistance.

Two years ago I had triple bypass, the nurses told me it was common to have depression afterwards and to ask for help if I needed it. I thought I was fine, about three weeks after surgery I had anxiety attacks for about a week, worked through it and went on. Five months later it hit me, I found myself crying, tired, not wanting to get out of the bed, angry, etc. I've never experienced anything like it before or since. Some how I got through it without meds, but in truth, they would have made life for me and those around me much better.

Sometimes we think people just need to suck it up and go on, when the reality is, they want to but can't.

I realize this isn't what Quiet is saying, but I think if you need help get it!
Acts Enthusiast
10/8/12 2:48 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
In my experience virtually all those I've known who were against the use of such meds have never themselves truly experienced clinical depression. They believe it is something a person can rise above they will only trust God, be filled with the Spirit, stand on the word, etc. They don't see it as a medical condition but as a spiritual one. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/8/12 2:56 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
In my experience virtually all those I've known who were against the use of such meds have never themselves truly experienced clinical depression. They believe it is something a person can rise above they will only trust God, be filled with the Spirit, stand on the word, etc. They don't see it as a medical condition but as a spiritual one.

I agree. And so far as that's concerned, it makes it tough to get too riled up about it. If they had any idea what they were talking about, they wouldn't be saying that. It only becomes a concern if they cause people to feel guilt or condemnation because they are depressed or anxious and "unable to overcome" with the Word.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/8/12 3:04 pm

Post I will add this... Clint Wills
I think that we often overlook things like this when we pray for healing. IF we can use the argument "it's like medication for any other ailment", then don't we believe God can heal that just like He can blindness?

I got really convicted a couple years ago that I often take certain "ailments" as just part of getting older. I know people who have asthma, back problems, headaches, etc. that just figure that it is part of life. My thought is that it does not have to be "just a part of life". I sincerely doubt that God created Adam with breathing trouble or back aches. I know that we live in a fallen world, but God is still our creator and still the one who knows us best.

If you need it, then yes - take it, but pray for healing for our minds just like we do our bodies.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
10/8/12 3:04 pm

Post revuriah
My daughter is has ADHD, and while she is doing ok off her meds currently, there was a time she simply couldn't concentrate w/out them.

People have medical issues that are physiological in nature. Clinical depression is a chemical imbalance, and requires medicinal assistance. Is that any different than a Christian taking medicine for a bad heart?

I think it falls under the fact that we live in a fallen world, and we have to deal with infirmity. Why does the new believer we just won to Christ have to deal now with a resurgence of cancer? I wish I knew. But I know God is sovereign, He is able to heal.

Revuriah's Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/people/Jeff-Richard/1226257444

Jeffrey David Richard's Myspace Music
www.myspace.com/547856946
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
10/8/12 3:07 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.