Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Fallen From Grace... No Eternal Security!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Fallen From Grace... No Eternal Security! auburnbishop
Fallen from Grace

A thought about OSAS and the Doctrine of Eternal Security

Galatians 5:4 Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace

The above verse should be enough to motivate us all unto abiding in Christ and maintaining a living faith in Him. Because of all the controversy surrounding the unconditional eternal security doctrine, it is important that we rightly divide the word of truth and bring to light such biblical concepts. From scripture, we can clearly see that the possibility exists of falling from grace. This is a frightening concept, but we have a responsibility, not only to teach what we consider to be "uplifting" truths from the bible, but also those things that are sobering and cause us to remain fresh in our relationship with the Lord.

The above situation in Galatia was indeed grave. Without doing a whole commentary on the book of Galatians which is beyond the scope of this article, I'll give you a brief synopsis (and I encourage you to read this on your own as well). In a nutshell, there was a group (or possibly several groups) in Galatia that was insistent that those who had come to faith in Christ must also keep the law of Moses. No doubt there would have been some confusion for those who had come from a Hebraic perspective. This new found freedom in Christ might have seemed dangerous to those who had held to the Mosaic law as a means of salvation. At a time when the nation was under tremendous pressure, and patriotism was at an all time high, it is equally obvious that they would want to identify with their Jewish culture and not seem as if they were jumping ship.

It appears that one of the primary points of contention was that of circumcision. Paul made it very clear to them however that circumcision was not the only tenet of the law that had to be obeyed. If one were to seek to be justified by the law (which is impossible anyway but I'm speaking hypothetically), they would not only have to be circumcised, but keep all 600 + laws.

Galatians 3:10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.

We know the scriptures declare that if "we offend in one point...we are guilty of all." The law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ. It definitely served (and serves) it's purpose to show us our exceeding sinful condition and need for a Saviour.

Now that we have some of the historical background in focus, let's get back to the grave situation that Paul speaks of. I'll cite the verse again.

Galatians Galatians 5:4 Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace

In order to show the gravity of the situation, I think it's important to define the term "fallen from grace." The usage of this greek word "katargeo" was used to define the termination of a relationship with someone. This is the same word used in Romans chapter 7 where Paul describes the ending of a marriage covenant relationship. I'll give you the reference for your personal study and highlight the word "katargeo" translated "loosed" in Romans 7.

Romans 7:2 For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband.

The ironic thing is that in Romans, Paul was using a metaphor showing how we (as the body of Christ) were now dead to the law that we should be married to Christ. The situaton in Galatia was exactly the opposite....they were putting to death their relationship with Christ so that they might join (or marry) the law once more. In no uncertain terms, Paul (by the Holy Spirit) is saying that if these Galatian believers leave Christ and attempt to come under the law, the grace of Christ will be of no effect to them whatsoever-regardless of past profession or possesion. Remember in II Corinthians, we are warned not to receive the grace of God in vain. (thus showing it is possible to start well, but not finish the race at all.)

II Cor 6:1 We then, as workers together with him, beseech you also that ye receive not the grace of God in vain.

Earlier in the letter, Paul had alluded to the possiblity that they may be in need of a new beginning. It is impossible to forget the imagery of Jesus word's in John chapter 3.

John 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

Now contrast that with the language Paul used in Galatians.

Galatians 4:19 My little children, of whom I travail in birth again until Christ be formed in you

Many are tempted to say this group in Galatians had never truly been saved, but were false converts. I think that this verse shows indeed that they had received the Spirit of God. In Romans it declares that "if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.."

Galatians 3:2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? 3 Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?

This is proof-positive-that not only had they received the Spirit of God, but they had indeed begun new life in the Spirit!

The book of Galatians clearly refutes the false teaching of unconditional eternal security. The temptation is to think this only applies to the churches of Galatia. While it's true that most (though not all) of Christianity doesn't struggle with trying to keep the Mosaic law, the issue of falling from grace is still at the forefront. Whenever we cease to abide in Christ, we are in danger of falling from grace. Modern theologians preach a grace that takes the place of holy living. This is not the grace of the bible. In Titus we are told that the grace of God teaches us that denying ungodly and worldy lusts, we should live soberly, and righteously in thie present world. Jude warns against those who "turn the grace of God into lasciviousness." It is my sincere desire and prayer that everyone who reads this article will indeed continue to "grow in grace and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ." (II Peter 3:1Cool

http://www.truthablaze.com
Hey, DOC
10/5/12 10:04 am

Post mytimewillcome
The passage is referring to Jews who had accepted Christ then had been pressured or for whatever reason decided to turn back to the Law, or Jewish customs, instead of embracing the grace of Jesus.

We are not Jews, we are all under grace. Therefore, we are not at risk of "falling from grace" since there is no other covenant for us to return to.

Grace is not a state of living but rather an action from God in which we have no control of. "Grace came" - John 1:17
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
10/5/12 10:15 am

Post Poimen
mytimewillcome wrote:
The passage is referring to Jews who had accepted Christ then had been pressured or for whatever reason decided to turn back to the Law, or Jewish customs, instead of embracing the grace of Jesus.

We are not Jews, we are all under grace. Therefore, we are not at risk of "falling from grace" since there is no other covenant for us to return to.

Grace is not a state of living but rather an action from God in which we have no control of. "Grace came" - John 1:17

You know, the Gentiles were lost before grace allowed for their salvation and inclusion, too. The law, in one way or another, caused the whole world to be come guilty, be exposing sin for what it was. Christ simply made it possible not only expose sin, but to defeat it. That's grace.

Anyone who embraces sin falls from grace. Anyone who turns from Christ (be it explicit or implicit) falls from grace.

Singing: "Let us then be true and faithful -- trusting, serving, everyday. Just one glimpse of Him in glory will the toils of life repay."
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
10/5/12 12:42 pm

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post PastorJackson
nm after rereading my previous did not fit.

mytimewillcome wrote:

http://www.facebook.com/jackson.plant

Last edited by PastorJackson on 10/5/12 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
10/5/12 1:04 pm

Post Patrick Harris
Nm Acts Enthusiast
10/5/12 1:15 pm

Post mytimewillcome
Poimen wrote:

Anyone who embraces sin falls from grace.

That is simply not true. That is in no way what the passage in Galatians means, well, the whole book for that matter.

There is a clear distinction between the law and grace. You are either in one camp or another. It has nothing to do with earning grace, nor falling away from it due to sin.

Again, grace came (John 1:17), it is not something we earn or stay in "good graces" with.
10/5/12 2:58 pm

Post chainrattler
mytimewillcome wrote:
Poimen wrote:

Anyone who embraces sin falls from grace.

That is simply not true. That is in no way what the passage in Galatians means, well, the whole book for that matter.

There is a clear distinction between the law and grace. You are either in one camp or another. It has nothing to do with earning grace, nor falling away from it due to sin.

Again, grace came (John 1:17), it is not something we earn or stay in "good graces" with.

"Falling from grace" does not have anything to do with deliberate sins of the flesh.

It has to do with "how" you try to justify yourself and receive righteousness.

By the law - you're alienated from Christ.

By grace - you are accepted in the beloved.

It has nothing to do with whether you "sinned" or not today.

Last edited by chainrattler on 10/5/12 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Acts-celerater
10/5/12 3:39 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
In Galatians, Paul was speaking specifically of what is properly called legalism. There were some believers who had been seduced into thinking that in addition to walking by faith with Jesus they had to also keep the Law of Moses in order to be accepted by God. This was truly falling from grace.

It was a form of apostasy, though not exactly the same thing as, say, a former pagan who had been born again but later began to go back to his pagan ways, or a Christian who decided to become antinomian and live a willfully sinful life (such as Ray Boltz, for instance, who has decided he can live a homosexual lifestyle while still claiming to be a Christian).

In any case, there is no life nor hope nor holiness outside of a living relationship of faith, hope, and love in the Lord Jesus Christ.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/5/12 3:57 pm

Post chainrattler
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
In Galatians, Paul was speaking specifically of what is properly called legalism. There were some believers who had been seduced into thinking that in addition to walking by faith with Jesus they had to also keep the Law of Moses in order to be accepted by God. This was truly falling from grace.

It was a form of apostasy, though not exactly the same thing as, say, a former pagan who had been born again but later began to go back to his pagan ways, or a Christian who decided to become antinomian and live a willfully sinful life (such as Ray Boltz, for instance, who has decided he can live a homosexual lifestyle while still claiming to be a Christian).

In any case, there is no life nor hope nor holiness outside of a living relationship of faith, hope, and love in the Lord Jesus Christ.

Actually, Wyatt, it was the Gentile converts, who were being pressured to "fall from grace" by being circumcised, not the Jewish believers.

Besides that, according the Paul in Ephesians I believe, those Gentiles who believed on Christ were grafted into Israel, they did not form a separate body from Israel.
Acts-celerater
10/5/12 4:00 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
I didn't say they were Jewish believers. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/5/12 4:03 pm

Post Thanks AB JLarry
I very much enjoyed reading your post. Acts Mod
10/5/12 4:54 pm

Post Its easy to find other scriptures c6thplayer1
to coincide with your beliefs. However when you find one such as the above you must also ask yourself How or if it negates the following words Jesus said;

John 5:24

King James Version (KJV)

24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.
10/5/12 6:05 pm

Post Re: Its easy to find other scriptures Quiet Wyatt
c6thplayer1 wrote:
to coincide with your beliefs. However when you find one such as the above you must also ask yourself How or if it negates the following words Jesus said;

King James Version (KJV)

24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

Young's Literal:

John 5:24 `Verily, verily, I say to you--He who is hearing my word, and is believing Him who sent me, hath life age-during, and to judgment he doth not come, but hath passed out of the death to the life.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/5/12 7:59 pm

Post Re: Its easy to find other scriptures c6thplayer1
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
c6thplayer1 wrote:

King James Version (KJV)

Young's Literal:

John 5:24 `Verily, verily, I say to you--He who is hearing my word, and is believing Him who sent me, hath life age-during, and to judgment he doth not come, but hath passed out of the death to the life.

A big difference in translation. Hearing and Heareth - Believing and Believeth...

If you chose to go with that translation you could create an argument.
I'll stick with the KJV and know for sure that Im not being led astray.
10/5/12 9:19 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Heareth and believeth are in the present tense too if you think about it. The scriptures emphasize present and continuing faith. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/5/12 9:23 pm

Post Here's another one from Jesus Poimen
Matthew 5:19
Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Singing: "Let us then be true and faithful -- trusting, serving, everyday. Just one glimpse of Him in glory will the toils of life repay."
10/5/12 10:35 pm

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post Re: Its easy to find other scriptures chainrattler
c6thplayer1 wrote:
If you chose to go with that translation you could create an argument.
I'll stick with the KJV and know for sure that I'm not being led astray.

Now that's an oxymoron if I've ever heard one.
Acts-celerater
10/5/12 10:50 pm

Post Re: Here's another one from Jesus mytimewillcome
Poimen wrote:
Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

But both are still in the kingdom
10/5/12 11:42 pm

Post Re: Here's another one from Jesus Poimen
mytimewillcome wrote:
Poimen wrote:

I don't think that's what it means, but nice try. It is a statement of contrast, and of condemnation. It is then followed with "except your righteousness exceed that of the scribes and pharisees ye shall in no case enter the kingdom of heaven."

We also know that Scripture tells us explicitly in various places that people who do various things (i.e. hate, fornicate, steal, extort, get drunk, etc.) will not inherit the kingdom.

Yes friend, believers today CAN fall from grace, and that by returning to a life of sin and/or not abiding in Christ. Consequently, unless or until they repent, they will find themselves cut off, dried up, and gathered at the last to be burned.

10/6/12 1:03 am

Post Re: Here's another one from Jesus Patrick Harris
mytimewillcome wrote:
Poimen wrote:

Exactly.
Thumb Up
Acts Enthusiast
10/6/12 6:50 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.