Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Item 2: Allows Independents to affiliate with COG
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Eddie Robbins
What could an affiliate church do that an independent church cannot do now? What is the advantage for the church? How does it help the COG? Acts-pert Poster
7/18/12 7:29 pm

Post diakoneo
Nick Park wrote:
diakoneo wrote:

So the intent by the EC is to eventually...

Why don't we say what we want to do and stop all of the back-door business?

Because that would be saying something that is not true.

Myself and another member of the Executive Council have stated our personal views that this measure, if passed, is a progressive step that will demonstrate the advantages of allowing churches to own their own properties, thus paving the way for measures in the future that would do something similar for existing CoG congregations.

It would be very erroneous indeed to assume that we represent anyone's views other than our own, let alone that we somehow speak for 'the EC' (unsure if you are referring to the Executive Committee or the Council).

You are, however, correct that the measure on the General Council Agenda is solely limited to non-Church of God congregations that may want to affiliate. In this respect the thread title is misleading.

Thanks for the clarification.

Will these affiliate churches have the same vote at the GA?
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
7/18/12 8:09 pm

Post Ken Shelton
Eddie Robbins wrote:
What could an affiliate church do that an independent church cannot do now? What is the advantage for the church? How does it help the COG?

1. There are many smaller, independent congregations who genuinely NEED a covering. Either their founding pastor has passed away, backslidden or retired and the church needs direction and protection.

2. There are independent pastors who lack fellowship and partnership and belonging to the COG would certainly provide that.

3. Strange as it may seem, some churches do not mind contributing financially to a parent organization to help them fulfill the Great Commission.

4. The COG benefits by gathering churches and ministers under its covering and group exemption.

5. The COG benefits by the affiliate's tithe of tithe and support of the World Missions Department.

6. Smaller independent churches usually lack the resources to train and educate the next generation of leaders.

7. The COG also benefits by extending a hand of fellowship and with each such gesture becomes less and less exclusive.

In my opinion, I believe that item 2 is a positive step forward and creates a measured sense of change.
7/18/12 8:19 pm

Post Question to Dr. Mike Larry Wiley
Are you saying that if passed a congregation can come in as an affiliate church, with no obligations such as ToT or deeding their property to the CoG.

I am currently pastoring an independent church. The only advantage I see to becoming an affiliate CoG is.

Fellowship with like minded pastors/ministers.
And a place to support missions and I am not sure about how much actually gets to the mission field.
7/18/12 9:49 pm

Post Re: The intent of this motion is what it is... Link
drmrc wrote:
This motion does nothing more than allow independent churches to enter the Church of God as an affilate church if they desire to do so. The intent of it is nothing more than that. It is not a "smoke and mirrors" or "bait and switch" motion. It is what it is.

Could a congregation that doesn't own it's own facility all officially move to a new 'affiliated congregation' the next week, allowing the COG church to have no pastor and no members? That could be a way to switch, especially if they met in a rented facility and there were no property or mortgage to worry about, and if denominational officials were onboard.

What would the governing of an affiliated church be like? Could the AB switch pastors around, or would the congregation or their appointed officials handle that sort of thing? I could see a reason for a church planter with COG roots to go the affiliated route if the latter is the case.
7/19/12 2:22 pm

Post I know the AG has associate churches roughridercog
How does it work in their organization?
7/21/12 8:34 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.