Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

What EXACTLY does God's Word say about drinking?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Re: Why is it... Clint Wills
Major B. Trammell wrote:
Clint Wills wrote:
That we take the absence of absolutes in the Bible as permission to do whatever we want?

I'm not making this statement solely about drinking, but about anything that the Bible isn't specifically clear about. We take silence from the Bible and make it say, "get crazy".

The Bible is abundantly, absolutely, explicitly loud and clear that the consumption of alcohol is NOT a sin.

God commanded it.
The Bible tells us that God gave us wine for our enjoyment and satisfaction.
Jesus drank it and drank it with others.
Jesus commanded it.
Paul instructed its use and consumption on at least a couple of occasions.

I'm not sure why anyone would think the Bible is silent or not absolute about this issue.

Consumption is not sinful. That's an established fact.

The Bible is equally explicit about the fact that drunkenness is sinful.

Agreed to an extent. I don't know that I think of it as commanded...that would mean I MUST drink it. I guess "silent" wasn't exactly what I was referring to. More so that we take permission to it's extremes.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
6/1/12 12:28 pm

Post Clint Wills
Major B. Trammell wrote:
I think newly found freedom sometimes makes people go to extremes- or more accurately, to the opposite extreme. I agree with that. I think it's human nature.

But, I think that levels out over a relatively short time as the newness and novelty wears off.

I also believe that anyone who drinks alcohol and claims they don't know or didn't know when to quit is a liar.

As far as commanded, God gave a choice. The choice was included in a command. "You shall take the tithe money and buy some whiskey.... if you want to." The person to whom it was commanded had the option of not doing so.

Jesus said, "Do this in remembrance of me." Also a command, but I'm also sure grape juice will work just as well and be acceptable. But, alcoholic wine was the context when He gave the command to "Do this."

I'm admittedly tainted on this subject by life experience. I completely agree that drinking is not a sin - I don't argue that. However, I have seen that argument made in the worst possible context OVER AND OVER AND OVER! A guy that I was once very good friends with made that argument - and still does. Now he smokes cigars, drinks (presumably without getting drunk), and flirts with women that aren't his wife. (presumably without lusting). All of this can be justified as not being sin as long as he does it in moderation. The thing is, I see his life. I see him being a horrible father and even worse spiritual leader of him household. I see the pictures of him on FB at parties. It isn't, after all, a sin to be at a party. The slope can be very slippery once we decide we are going to live our lives with the mindset "this isn't sin according to the Bible". For a lot of Christians it may not be an issue at all, but as leaders (which I think most Acts posters are), we are not responsible for "a lot of Christians" we are responsible for the weakest Christian.

I'm ranting, and I know it. I don't have a technical leg to stand on. I have just seen far more bad come out of Christians drinking than good - or even neutral.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
6/1/12 1:06 pm

Post needing clarification on the command to drink muricewatsonsfriend
so are you indeed telling us that we are commanded to consume intoxitcating beverages? if this is what is being said, anyone who abstains would be disobeying God, so I don't know if the poster is being facetious or not.

having asked, it is a dangerous route to cherry pick scriptures.

i found out that several saints got on the drink red wine for health benefit. so, i went to my doctor and asked him if the health benefit worked w/o the alchohlic content. he said yes. so, when paul told timothy to use wine it was fairly obvious that he wasnt' telling timothy to kick back a few after work.

i think we can make the bible say what we want it to say.

Eddie, my reference to the other items were not to sound like a preacher, (although i am one, and not ashamed). i was bouncing off of what cojak posted about moderation. it was in reference to the public's perception of drinking.

- Darius
Acts-celerater
6/1/12 2:04 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
What if you have a beer at the ballgame and a margarita on a cruise ship? Acts-pert Poster
6/1/12 3:36 pm

Post peterz3fo
I've typed and deleted so many things in this thread...let me try one more perspective.

People, like myself, who can demonstrate self-control and enjoy a beer in moderation are not looking to see how far we can go in every area of our lives. There is no slippery slope as some have suggested.

I desire to honor God in all that I do. I'm not looking for loopholes to see how carnal I can be and still be considered in the fold. If that's the attitude I had I would seriously need to reconsider my relationship with Christ.
Friendly Face
6/1/12 4:04 pm

Post bradfreeman
Eddie Robbins wrote:
What if you have a beer at the ballgame and a margarita on a cruise ship?

Happy are you.

My website: www.bradfreeman.com
My blog: http://bradcfreeman.tumblr.com/
Acts-dicted
6/1/12 5:00 pm

Post Cojak
peterz3fo wrote:
I've typed and deleted so many things in this thread...let me try one more perspective.

People, like myself, who can demonstrate self-control and enjoy a beer in moderation are not looking to see how far we can go in every area of our lives. There is no slippery slope as some have suggested.

I desire to honor God in all that I do. I'm not looking for loopholes to see how carnal I can be and still be considered in the fold. If that's the attitude I had I would seriously need to reconsider my relationship with Christ.

I agree Peter.

I smile when folks talk about FOLKS 'looking for loop holes' or 'seeing how close to the edge I can drive'. In my life I have finally (in the past few years) learned my self. I know me, I know my relation with my Lord. HAPPY AM I! I no longer must pull anyone down to make myself look tall, I see very well.
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
6/1/12 5:54 pm

Post Cojak
I must have been too quick on the draw!!! Sorry. This was a dupe!

(Drinking? I Think the COG is agin it. Since I was here anyway!)
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
6/1/12 5:55 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.