Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

What is official COG statement on alcohol consumption?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Eddie Robbins
Don't go there, Tracy. Somebody will say, as to justify their obesity, :I have never heard of anyone killing someone in a car accident because they overate." That makes it OK. So, nothing to see here...move along. Acts-pert Poster
5/30/12 11:45 am

Post bonnie knox
Quote:
If so, can you take a minister's license who is obese since it is all in the same sentence and tied together?

Actually, it mentions gluttony, not obesity. There is a difference.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
5/30/12 11:50 am

Post Re: What is official COG statement on alcohol consumption? macgulley
krista wrote:
doyle wrote:
Listen, when it comes to drinking alcohol, I'm old-school agreeing with Proverbs 20:1 "Wine is a mocker and strong drink is raging but he who is deceived thereby is not wise." I also know the Bible strongly condemns drunkenness.

However, with that said, what the COG officially says these days about drinking, may be interesting. It's now been years since the COG changed it's stance on the Practical Commitments which had strong language opposing alcohol consumption.

Even with the changes, it wisely never has endorsed it - God forbid, but does not anywhere to my knowledge say for example that drinking a glass of wine will send someone to Hell.

Possibly one of our viewers would post the COG official statement on consuming alcoholic beverages. Word-For-Word please.

Doyle
writedoyle@yahoo.com

Does it really matter what the COG say's? It seems the consensus from the board is that it's ok?

Neither the consensus of the board nor the COG's position is really important. What matters is what God's Word says (or doesn't say, as the case may be.)
5/30/12 12:55 pm

Post If I drink alcoholic beverages... roughridercog
the denomination has every right to take my credentials and disfellowship me. When I joined the Church of God I said I would abide by both the doctrinal and practical commitments.

Same thing if I light up a cigar or pipe.
5/30/12 1:12 pm

Post Being a large person, I didn't want to go there. So ... Poimen
bonnie knox wrote:
Quote:
If so, can you take a minister's license who is obese since it is all in the same sentence and tied together?

Thank you.

Singing: "Let us then be true and faithful -- trusting, serving, everyday. Just one glimpse of Him in glory will the toils of life repay."
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
5/30/12 1:21 pm

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post Re: If I drink alcoholic beverages... roughridercog
Major B. Trammell wrote:
roughridercog wrote:
the denomination has every right to take my credentials and disfellowship me. When I joined the Church of God I said I would abide by both the doctrinal and practical commitments.

Same thing if I light up a cigar or pipe.

As well as if you drink coffee, tea, and take aspirin, have a chocolate candy bar, and get your prescription filled.

But, those things get overlooked- the absolute height of hypocrisy.

"Oh, when they wrote 'habit-forming, mood-altering, addictive, chemical substances,' they didn't really mean habit-forming, mood-altering, addictive, chemical substances." Rolling Eyes

But what does it say in the Greek? Laughing
5/30/12 5:19 pm

Post Tracy S Hamilton
bonnie knox wrote:
Quote:

Let's just be real honest.... you don't get obese without gluttony..... lol

So, then the question is still valid.... if you can take a minister's license for drinking, can you take it for gluttony?

Last edited by Tracy S Hamilton on 5/30/12 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Golf Cart Mafia Capo
5/30/12 7:35 pm

Post bonnie knox
Quote:
Let's just be real honest.... you don't obese without gluttony..... lol

I'm being real, I'm being honest. (And I'm not laughing.)
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
5/30/12 7:40 pm

Post bonnie knox
Quote:
So, then the question is still valid.... if you can take a minister's license for drinking, can you take it for gluttony?

Actually that's a different question, but the answer would be yes.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
5/30/12 7:41 pm

Post Tracy S Hamilton
bonnie knox wrote:
Quote:

Actually not.....

the question pertains to the whole statement about abstaining which would include not only drinking, but gluttony as well. It would also include other things that defile the body according to "addiction and enslavement."
Golf Cart Mafia Capo
5/30/12 8:03 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
bonnie knox wrote:
Quote:

It also says this:

Our body is the temple of the Holy Ghost and we are to glorify God in our body (Romans 12:1, 2; 1 Corinthians 6:19, 20; 10:31). We are to walk in the Spirit and not fulfill the lust of the flesh (Galatians 5:16)

That takes care of just plain old not taking care of your body. Regardless of gluttony or obesity. You can be thin and be out of shape and not taking care of the temple.
Acts-pert Poster
5/30/12 8:17 pm

Post philunderwood
Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances,
(Touch not; taste not; handle not; Which all are to perish with the using;) after the commandments and doctrines of men?
Which things have indeed a shew of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body: not in any honour to the satisfying of the flesh.

-Paul

Discover More...
http://www.refocusing.org

A Mission in Formation
www.bluewaterinthekeys.com
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
5/30/12 8:51 pm

Post bonnie knox
Tracy S Hamilton wrote:
bonnie knox wrote:
Quote:

Actually not.....

the question pertains to the whole statement about abstaining which would include not only drinking, but gluttony as well. It would also include other things that defile the body according to "addiction and enslavement."

The first question you asked was about obesity. The second question (once you rephrased it) regarded gluttony. My observation was that the question about obesity was different than the question about gluttony. I was not saying that abusing one's body through drunkenness was a different question than abusing one's body through gluttony.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
5/30/12 9:50 pm

Post bonnie knox
Eddie Robbins wrote:
bonnie knox wrote:
Quote:

It also says this:

Our body is the temple of the Holy Ghost and we are to glorify God in our body (Romans 12:1, 2; 1 Corinthians 6:19, 20; 10:31). We are to walk in the Spirit and not fulfill the lust of the flesh (Galatians 5:16)

That takes care of just plain old not taking care of your body. Regardless of gluttony or obesity. You can be thin and be out of shape and not taking care of the temple.

Eddie, as much as I admire what you've done and how much of an inspiration you've been to so many people, I expect my view of "glorifying God in your body" is a little different from yours.
But you do bring up a point; even a thin person could participate in gluttony. So taking a minister's license for gluttony could not be defined just by weight.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
5/30/12 9:57 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
And that is a great point as well. When we read these teachings, we have different interpretations. Taking care of the temple is a big deal to me and obviously not to most folks. Acts-pert Poster
5/30/12 10:01 pm

Post mytimewillcome
Eddie Robbins wrote:
Taking care of the temple is a big deal to me and obviously not to most folks.

Really not trying to be a punk here Eddie but your tone in that post sounds arrogant.

Why does it seem you like down on anyone who is not as "fit" as you now?
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
5/30/12 10:49 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
I can't be arrogant after trashing my temple for 30 years. Sorry if my tone comes across that way. I literally cry for our folks who are obese. I wrote a book to tell my story in hopes that others would also see the light before it is too late. I apologize for sounding arrogant. I love my brothers and sisters and want the best for them. Acts-pert Poster
5/30/12 11:11 pm

Post Cojak
Eddie Robbins wrote:
I can't be arrogant after trashing my temple for 30 years. Sorry if my tone comes across that way. I literally cry for our folks who are obese. I wrote a book to tell my story in hopes that others would also see the light before it is too late. I apologize for sounding arrogant. I love my brothers and sisters and want the best for them.

Good attitude, I like that better. It is the attitude that counts from a distance.

good stuff!
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
5/30/12 11:20 pm

Post The church that lives by the technicality. . . RedBackHymnal
. . . must surely die by the technicality. And the COG's statement is not that a member or minister of the COG must abstain, but that a
"Christian" must abstain. As stated, this is not a rule for membership, or for credentials. It is a statement -- and an entirely inaccurate and unBiblical statement, in my opinion -- about what one must do to be a "Christian."
Hey, DOC
5/31/12 12:08 am

Post waiting for an answer Tracy S Hamilton
I am still waiting for an answer......

Maybe an official who posts on here could answer the question.

I think we could all agree that a minister's credentials could be revoked for drinking, but could they also be revoked for gluttony? All of this in this article talks about abstaining, and gluttony is listed, so I am wondering if someone could have their license revoked for gluttony.

And I agree with Eddie..... he openly admits that he neglected his body which is God's temple for so many years and he is passionate about it and should be. When I first met Eddie, I had just had my right kidney removed and Eddie was BIG.... real BIG, when he did pictures for us at our church. It is great to see how taking care of his body has changed his entire outlook about a lot of things and how he is taking this message to others.

Could the same be said for those who play sports and who abuse their bodies and then can barely walk when they are 40 years old...... ?
Golf Cart Mafia Capo
5/31/12 9:17 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.