Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Go to your state office and volunteer to do this

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Go to your state office and volunteer to do this doyle
One of our posters, "link," has posted an excellent article on starting house churches. http://www.actscelerate.com/viewtopic.php?t=69352

With costs continuing to soar for churches and with many communities strongly discouraging new churches because they get no financial tax revenue from them, it will continue to be more and more difficult to start churches.

One thing in the COG that would be a mighty help, is if the organization at the national and state levels, made a coordinated effort to value and encourage house churches and those who start them.

With new-church planting dragging along at one of the lowest level in the history of the COG, possibly state offices could have some unpaid volunteers to coordinate house churches in the state. Put all qualified volunteers on the "House Church Board." Have meetings over the internet instead of eating up funds for travel, snacks, fruit-on-the-table and expenditures for motel rooms.

It seems that churches, just like our beloved children, are not born full-grown.

Since home fellowships have often been a starting point to raising up a group large enough for a larger building, doesn't it make a lot of sense to have someone encouraging those "churches-in-embryo" and honoring those who are making that kind of effort?

There shouldn't be any pressure on the house group to go into debt for a building unless they have the resources to do it. Nothing wrong at all in remaining a house church. If it gets big in attendance start having two services and then possibly start other house churches.

However, an official coordinated effort to offer materials and links to resources for starting house churches, would be helpful. Also, someone to get them together for fellowship with other such home fellowships could be very encouraging as they fellowship with those of like-mind and endeavor.

This is not a call for another paid position at state offices nor is it a call for a Coordinator who competes house fellowships against each other in a "My house church is bigger than yours" kind of deal.

Our daughter-in-law is home-schooling her two children. At least several times a month, she gets together with other Mom's who are home schooling. They fellowship and encourage each other while sharing ideas for improving what they're doing.

And at least once a month everybody, including the children, get together for what they call a "Cluster School."

WAIT! Doesn't that sound like the COG years ago when tiny and sometimes persecuted fellowships got together with other such churches at District Fellowship Meetings?

A lot of COG churches today had their beginnings in such house fellowships and the COG surged in those days. While the music and possibly some of the methods have changed, I think people today are just as longing for fellowship and a sense of belonging.

Doyle
writedoyle@yahoo.com

Last edited by doyle on 5/16/12 1:16 pm; edited 3 times in total
Acts-celerate Owner
5/16/12 12:44 pm

Post Grass Roots Revival: EXACTLY! Dan Eason
There is a momentum shift when an organization transitions from a grass roots movement into a bureaucracy directed by paid staff. The passion usually wanes as that movement becomes an organization led by people who are just doing their jobs. That is generally the point of plateau, followed quickly by rapid decline.
The Church of God hit that middle point on the pendelum swing, from grass roots revival to paid ministerial bureaurocracy, in the 1960s. The momentum of our early fervor carried us well into to 1980s before anybody began to suspect that we were slowing down. Today, it is fairly obvious that we are in a challenging period.
(Doyle thought this was a thread hi-jack so far, it isn't, I am waxing eloquent.) Shocked
As the established organization crumbles, it creates opportunities for change. Since we can no longer afford all of the paid positions, the church is looking to volunteers to take up the slack. The men and women willing to do these ministries for free are the ones with the passion to pour their time and energy into that ministry. Thus, the decline of the Church of God is opening the door for innovation and real change.
My personal experience is that our greatest hurdle to overcome in this area is that the paid directors left manning the ship expect the volunteer, grass roots leaders, to do ministry in the same manner and method as the paid personnel whom they replace. Volunteer (pioneer) leaders will have their own vision for ministry and will not give their time to perpetuate the status quo. (If the old program had worked, you wouldn't need me.)
Doyle, your plan for home churches is precisely the type of new movement that will revitalize the Church of God. (See, I told you I was on topic.) I appreciate the thought that went into your post. Now, I am thinking about areas on our district where the home bible study may be a viable way to start new ministries. You inspired me to think.
5/16/12 1:09 pm

Post Re: Grass Roots Revival: EXACTLY! Clint Wills
Dan Eason wrote:

(Doyle thought this was a thread hi-jack so far, it isn't, I am waxing eloquent.) Shocked

Dan...you're in Prosser...don't out-think the room. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
5/16/12 1:19 pm

Post Doyle Cojak
A lot of truth in that post. I remember the times well when fellowship meetings meant so much.

Not sure if the same spirit can be achieved, BUT IT IS POSSIBLE!
I will never forget the camaraderie felt by the youth, to be with 'like thinkers'. The idea has a lot of merit!
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
5/16/12 8:56 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.