Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Determined to Stay in the "Red-Back" Past
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Determined to Stay in the "Red-Back" Past exile824
Just found out our Camp Meeting this year will have a "Red-Back Night"

Bring your own red-back or green-back hymnals.

I wish I was making this up, but I'm not.

And we wonder why the AG continues to outgrow us?
5/15/12 2:08 pm

Post bonnie knox
Quote:

Oh, what color are their books?
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
5/15/12 2:09 pm

Post diakoneo
What is wrong with red-back night?

I love Praise and worship, but I am not religious about it.

Should we be religious about that???

Aren't we, after all, worshiping Christ?
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
5/15/12 3:06 pm

Post theElder
I say we just shoot the old-timers instead of having one night of the camp-meeting where we have music they are more likely to enjoy.

How dare they expect us to give them one day out of a week for their kind of music!
Acts Enthusiast
5/15/12 3:07 pm

Post bonnie knox
I thought the AG was growing because they operate with affiliate churches or ordain women or focus on missions and church planting.

Last edited by bonnie knox on 5/15/12 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
5/15/12 3:08 pm

Post Telecaster
A movement that forgets its past will never go forward.

We need to celebrate our past without making an idol of it or criticizing everyone who does it differently. Having a one night Campmeeting service with Red Back hymnals certainly isn't going to cause the COG to shut down or the AG to grow more.

Wow . . .
Acts Enthusiast
5/15/12 3:10 pm

Post Re: Determined to Stay in the Past InspiredHillbilly
exile824 wrote:

I absolutely agree with you... makes absolutel sense to disown the largest growing demographic within our churches... with all the baby boomers entering senior adulthood, we'll soon have more seniors than any other age demographic... and makes good sense to tick off and push out the door the desires and loves of the most faithful group of givers, workers, prayers, attenders.....

Let's just cater to one demographic, or at least all of them except the ones that also want us to hold on some to our past and remember it, and not forget what we came up out of.

Absolutely..... and while we're at it... let's just post folks at the door to trip a few using their walkers and push one or two out of their little rascals.

The Greatest Risk... is the Risk of Regret...
Golf Cart Mafia Associate
5/15/12 3:25 pm

Post Re: Determined to Stay in the Past jeremiah2911_4me
InspiredHillbilly wrote:
exile824 wrote:

I absolutely agree with you... makes absolutel sense to disown the largest growing demographic within our churches... with all the baby boomers entering senior adulthood, we'll soon have more seniors than any other age demographic... and makes good sense to tick off and push out the door the desires and loves of the most faithful group of givers, workers, prayers, attenders.....

Let's just cater to one demographic, or at least all of them except the ones that also want us to hold on some to our past and remember it, and not forget what we came up out of.

Absolutely..... and while we're at it... let's just post folks at the door to trip a few using their walkers and push one or two out of their little rascals.

Wow hillbilly that make spit pepsi thru my nose!!! Embarassed Very Happy
Acts-celerater
5/15/12 4:39 pm

Post Re: Determined to Stay in the Past krista
exile824 wrote:

This post is from someone who neither understands our heritage, or respects it. There are so many older folks who have embraced the newer worship songs, but then we have guys like this that diss the older folks and where we came from. You are no different than the older person who is "determined to stay in the past". You want it your way. If you are COG, you found your way here by virtue of a past where the folks sang those songs and the Power fell.
Exile, what you should do is listen to a few of those older songs and maybe you could get saved.
Golf Cart Mafia Capo
5/15/12 5:22 pm

Post skinnybishop
theElder wrote:
I say we just shoot the old-timers instead of having one night of the camp-meeting where we have music they are more likely to enjoy.

How dare they expect us to give them one day out of a week for their kind of music!

Stop.....everything.
I agree with a position that theElder has taken.

Maybe I'm coming around :lol:
Acts Enthusiast
5/15/12 5:45 pm

Post Link
Sounds like fun. What's wrong with that?

The AOG churches I grew up in mixed it up. We had a lot of choruses, but we'd have an older hymn or two thrown in.
5/15/12 5:46 pm

Post Re: Determined to Stay in the Past georgiapath
InspiredHillbilly wrote:
exile824 wrote:

Good post.
Acts-dicted
5/15/12 5:47 pm

Post Wow... exile824
So let's see...

I want to kill old people

I'm not saved

I don't understand the heritage of the CoG

The only thing you didn't accuse me of is being the Anti-Christ, yet...

I figured my post would ruffle a few feathers but that was hilarious

Why don't Krista and Bonnie pray real hard for me.

Maybe I'll run for the altar that night (I will be there)

Then several people can gather around me, some screaming "hold on brother!" others screaming "just let go brother" while they shake me real hard.

While we're at it, let's turn off the air-conditioning, open the doors and swat gnats all night long while we sweat through our suits.
5/16/12 8:30 am

Post Re: Wow... InspiredHillbilly
exile824 wrote:
While we're at it, let's turn off the air-conditioning, open the doors and swat gnats all night long while we sweat through our suits.

Actually... The pastor that was at Calvary Temple in Indianapolis, large AG church running close to 2000 at the time..... would host an old fashioned day once a year to honor the heritage and pioneers that had laid the foundation for that church.

They would build a huge brush arbor on the stage, everyone wear old fashioned clothes, and YES they turned off the air conditioning and sang the old songs.....

Might help to give a tangible inclination... even if by a little bit.... of what our forefathers did for the gospel in this movement.

Remind of us a people that didn't look for churches because they were shopping for the best building, best program, greatest technology, hippest coffee shop, most "with-it" pastor, biggest gymnasium, or best lighting and sound system.

Maybe it would remind us of a people that in spite of losing jobs, having buildings burned, and property vandalized all for being tongue talking pentecostals.... they still went on for Christ... they still praised him and loved on people.

Maybe it would remind us of a people that serving the Lord wasn't out of comfort, or where it fit in their schedules, or because it was convenient.... but out of their desperation for Him....

Maybe it would remind us of a people that were much more concerned with praying people thru to victory even if sweating thru their suits and dresses.... than being concerned with if the thermostat is on 72 or 70.

5/16/12 8:54 am

Post Brandon Bowers
Just cancel Campmeeting. That's a better option.
5/16/12 9:15 am

Post bonnie knox
Quote:
Why don't Krista and Bonnie pray real hard for me.

I can't imagine why you lumped us together. Our responses to your post were not similar at all. (In fact I don't think krista and I are similar at all.)

I said nothing about heritage, I said nothing about your salvation, I said nothing about the age of worshippers, or the style of music.
(I've only been in the Church of God about 8 or 9 years, so my "heritage" is probably not what you imagine.)

Maybe I will pray for you, though (if I have enough time left over after all that praying for Tom).

I'll give you a tip, too. The phrase, "and we wonder why..." always sets me off for some reason. I really don't recall personally wondering about the growth of the AG or how that compared to the COG. "And we wonder why" just seems so patronizing, like the person saying it has figured out the cause and effect while the rest of us cluelessly wander in darkness. It also seems presumptuous - as if the cause and effect identified is correct and preeminent.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
5/16/12 9:19 am

Post InspiredHillbilly
Brandon Bowers wrote:
Just cancel Campmeeting. That's a better option.

Depending on which location, state, and organization... campmeetings are still very useful for some organizations and churches... they aren't perfect, but still very useful.

5/16/12 9:38 am

Post Re: Wow... jeremiah2911_4me
InspiredHillbilly wrote:
exile824 wrote:

Actually... The pastor that was at Calvary Temple in Indianapolis, large AG church running close to 2000 at the time..... would host an old fashioned day once a year to honor the heritage and pioneers that had laid the foundation for that church.

They would build a huge brush arbor on the stage, everyone wear old fashioned clothes, and YES they turned off the air conditioning and sang the old songs.....

Might help to give a tangible inclination... even if by a little bit.... of what our forefathers did for the gospel in this movement.

Remind of us a people that didn't look for churches because they were shopping for the best building, best program, greatest technology, hippest coffee shop, most "with-it" pastor, biggest gymnasium, or best lighting and sound system.

Maybe it would remind us of a people that in spite of losing jobs, having buildings burned, and property vandalized all for being tongue talking pentecostals.... they still went on for Christ... they still praised him and loved on people.

Maybe it would remind us of a people that serving the Lord wasn't out of comfort, or where it fit in their schedules, or because it was convenient.... but out of their desperation for Him....

Maybe it would remind us of a people that were much more concerned with praying people thru to victory even if sweating thru their suits and dresses.... than being concerned with if the thermostat is on 72 or 70.

GREAT COMMENTS!!
Acts-celerater
5/16/12 9:40 am

Post I don't want to cancel Camp Meeting exile824
But it has to be revamped.

Instead of the usual speakers, bring in guys who can challenge us with relevant issues and ideas.

I for one am glad that we changed the General Assembly format. We spent way too much time and money "having church" when we needed to be doing the business of the denomination.
5/16/12 10:34 am

Post Eddie Robbins
My opinion of Campmeeting, for what it's worth:

To me, Campmeeting should be about the past. Singing the old, traditional songs and honoring the history of the church. An example is our family reunion. When we get together each year, we sing the same, traditional family songs in hopes that we pass it down to our children and grandchildren. It is for fun and fellowship. Campmeeting should be the same, IMHO.

We need conferences that are for learning that would be more like what you all would call the current Campmeeting. Separate the two. Campmeeting is like Homecoming. We celebrate the past. Redback city, baby!!
Acts-pert Poster
5/16/12 10:41 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.