Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Can Ladies Serve as Deacons?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Can Ladies Serve as Deacons? Quiet Wyatt
1 Tim. 3:12 Let the deacons be the husbands of one wife, ruling their children and their own houses well.

Strong's Number: 1249
Original Word Word Origin
diakonoß probably from an obsolete diako (to run on errands, cf (1377))
Transliterated Word TDNT Entry
Diakonos 2:88,152
Phonetic Spelling Parts of Speech
dee-ak'-on-os Noun
Definition

one who executes the commands of another, esp. of a master, a servant, attendant, minister
the servant of a king
a deacon, one who, by virtue of the office assigned to him by the church, cares for the poor and has charge of and distributes the money collected for their use
a waiter, one who serves food and drink

NAS Word Usage - Total: 29
deacons 3, minister 7, servant 10, servants 9

Last edited by Quiet Wyatt on 3/7/12 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
3/7/12 3:29 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
I wonder if what Timothy called a deacon is the same as the deacons we have today? Do any COG's have deacons? Acts-pert Poster
3/7/12 3:31 pm

Post John Jett
Yes, the COG decided that 2 years ago. Very Happy Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
3/7/12 3:32 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Those are good questions, Eddie.

I'm primarily interested in the scriptural case, since Paul in this verse 'clearly' limited the office of deacon in the NT to men, right?
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
3/7/12 3:33 pm

Post Re: Can Ladies Serve as Deacons? InspiredHillbilly
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
1 Tim. 3:12 Let the deacons be the husbands of one wife, ruling their children and their own houses well.

Strong's Number: 1249
Original Word Word Origin
diakonoß probably from an obsolete diako (to run on errands, cf (1377))
Transliterated Word TDNT Entry
Diakonos 2:88,152
Phonetic Spelling Parts of Speech
dee-ak'-on-os Noun
Definition

one who executes the commands of another, esp. of a master, a servant, attendant, minister
the servant of a king
a deacon, one who, by virtue of the office assigned to him by the church, cares for the poor and has charge of and distributes the money collected for their use
a waiter, one who serves food and drink

NAS Word Usage - Total: 29
deacons 3, minister 7, servant 10, servants 9

Looks like Paul says no.

The Greatest Risk... is the Risk of Regret...
Golf Cart Mafia Associate
3/7/12 3:43 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
Let the women remain silent!! You have to stick with this command in order for the church to be a real NT church.

I attended a Baptist church years ago that would not allow women to teach a man. They could teach children or other women in Sunday School, that was it. There were women in the choir with the occasional solo. I asked the pastor why a woman could not preach the Word but could sing the Word. So, it is OK if she sings it? He just looked at me and we had a good laugh.
Acts-pert Poster
3/7/12 3:48 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Well then Paul directly contradicts himself in Romans 16:1

Romans 16:1 I commend unto you Phebe our sister, which is a servant (diakonos) of the church which is at Cenchrea:

http://www.biblestudytools.com/interlinear-bible/passage.aspx?q=romans+16:1&t=nas

Same exact word as is used in 1 Timothy 3 to supposedly restrict deacons/servants/ministers to males.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
3/7/12 3:49 pm

Post InspiredHillbilly
Eddie Robbins wrote:
Let the women remain silent!! You have to stick with this command in order for the church to be a real NT church.

I attended a Baptist church years ago that would not allow women to teach a man. They could teach children or other women in Sunday School, that was it. There were women in the choir with the occasional solo. I asked the pastor why a woman could not preach the Word but could sing the Word. So, it is OK if she sings it? He just looked at me and we had a good laugh.

because when she's singing the Word, she's not in a position of authority over a man. I don't have issues with women exhorting... but I do if they are teaching in an authoritative type role, or trying to pastor.

3/7/12 3:54 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
That is ridiculous. There is no scripture that says that when a woman sings, she is not in authority over a man. She is to remain silent, singing or speaking, if you agree with that culture. Do people really spend time making up this crazy stuff? Acts-pert Poster
3/7/12 3:57 pm

Post I guess I always thought... Clint Wills
That women could be deacons, but not elders.

We don't technically have either so it's not a huge issue around FH.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
3/7/12 4:12 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
If Paul supposedly restricts ladies from being deacons/ministers/servants in 1 Tim. 3, but clearly recognizes a lady deacon in Rom. 16:1, the entire premise that Paul restricts women's roles in 1 Tim. 3 is undermined.

If Paul actually was fine with women diakonos (and Rom. 16:1 indicates he certainly was, commending the lady Phebe as one), then at the very least 1 Tim. 3's restriction of women's roles in the church needs to be reevaluated by those who would deny ladies the possible role of bishop/pastor/elder/overseer.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
3/7/12 4:22 pm

Post Dean Steenburgh
I was a guest minister at a large church in Manilla, Philippines a few years ago & it consisted of mostly women. The pastor was a woman of about 70 who had started the church in the poorest area of that huge city. The church began to grow & it helped to change the entire attitude of that neighborhood while hundreds were saved. I don't remember seeing very many men in leadership positions & yet they were experiencing an awesome revival Maybe they should have went out & found some men to make it better???? Wink Wink Wink

Email me at: SteenburghDean@gmail.com

Church planters are focused on just one thing ...introducing people to Jesus!
What are you focused on?
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
3/7/12 4:50 pm

Post Link
Just some thoughts.

Deacon is a position of service, not a position of oversight of other people's souls. One can be a deacon without teaching others.

Of course the Greek word for deacon is a broad term that can apply to other types of ministering as well.
3/7/12 6:17 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Nevertheless, Paul just as clearly and directly restricts deacons to being men in 1 Tim 3 as he restricts bishops to being men. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
3/7/12 6:21 pm

Post John Jett
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
Nevertheless, Paul just as clearly and directly restricts deacons to being men in 1 Tim 3 as he restricts bishops to being men.

What does verse 11 mean? In context when the surrounding verses are all about church leadership. Yes some claim this is deacon's wives, but its just as likely that its deaconesses.
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
3/7/12 6:40 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Yes, that too. I actually have heard of some Baptist churches not allowing unmarried men to serve as deacons based on 1 Tim. 3. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
3/7/12 7:54 pm

Post InspiredHillbilly
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
Yes, that too. I actually have heard of some Baptist churches not allowing unmarried men to serve as deacons based on 1 Tim. 3.

I agree that the two scriptures do seem to conflict with one another..., what do you think the answer is?

I totally agree that single men should not be deacons, and should not be pastors (bishops). If I never get married, I'll never be qualified to be a Senior Pastor of a church and will always have to be an associate, or evangelist, or teacher. I think it shows wisdom to not have single men in that area.

3/8/12 8:52 am

Post Mark Hardgrove
Some can, and some can't. This applies to men as well.
Dean & VP for Academics at BHU
http://www.beulah.org/
Acts-celerater
3/8/12 8:59 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
Since the same inspired apostle wrote both Romans and 1 Timothy, he quite clearly was not making absolutist statements in 1 Tim 3, but was, at most, giving general guidelines. We certainly cannot reasonably conclude from this that a lady (or, say, a single man or a widower) serving as bishop or deacon would be a sin and definitely not of God, as some insist. If so, then Paul himself did not qualify to serve in these roles. Even JESUS, the Chief Shepherd and Bishop of our souls, didn't.

As Rom 16:1 plainly indicates, ladies clearly could serve and did serve as diakonos (deacons/ministers/servants) in the early church.

Church history indicates ladies served as bishops, elders and deacons up until the fourth century AD, when church councils first began restricting those offices to men.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
3/8/12 11:38 am

Post Link
InspiredHillbilly wrote:

I totally agree that single men should not be deacons, and should not be pastors (bishops). If I never get married, I'll never be qualified to be a Senior Pastor of a church and will always have to be an associate, or evangelist, or teacher. I think it shows wisdom to not have single men in that area.

Why would you qualify as an associate? I could follow your reasoning up to that point.
3/8/12 7:52 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.