Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Breastfeeding in church - yes or No (L)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Quiet Wyatt
When my wife was breastfeeding our babies, one thing I always thought was really beautiful was how much cheaper it was than buying formula. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/9/12 11:06 am

Post Cojak
Funny how times have changed. My mother in law worked in a cotton mill, when it came time to feed the baby one of the older girls carried the baby to the mill, mama fed it, and they returned home. I was amazed at that.

The older I get I learn a lot more about the roles women have played in life, and the many things Men have not understood. Religions have always placed a lot of weights on women. I am amazed at the ability of them to survive and come out stronger.

Sometimes we men come across like the world of Islam. Do what I SAY, no questions.

I look back at over 55 years of marriage and see the things my wife endured, and I want to do all I can to make her life easy. I now try to SERVE her for all she has given me. She gets a massage every week and most of the meals served to her. Just try once to put yourself place in the place of a woman, you may understand.

I'm reminded of a wonderful mother of 10, getting them all ready for Sunday School while her husband took care of the farm chores. All in the car, ready to go She says, "Well, Kenneth, I think I am ready."
He says, "Honey you'd better go back in the house and put on your skirt!"

An absolute true story. Happened at the first church I pastored.
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
2/9/12 11:15 am

Post Paige Hamby
Cojak, what a sweet compliment you just paid to all women and mothers. You sound like a wonderful husband. How precious of you to recognize all the work your wife has done over the years and for you to treat her now.

God as my witness, I have never, ever in my life been so exhausted and worn out doing normal day to day tasks as I have been the past few months. Handling a major move (and unexpectedly purchasing a home) at 9 months pregnant, caring for 2 toddlers and now having a 3rd who had a terrible birth and spent 9 days in the NICU just about wore me out. I'm finally getting back on track with life and have spent the past 2 months working like a crazy woman (type-A that I am!) trying to organize my family and our life. I'm putting systems into place for pretty much everything possible to organize our lives and make them simpler. Redecorating our home. Keeping up with the house/children while working. Never have I appreciated my Mom so much!

God made women to be extra special and with extra grace to be able to manage all we have on our plate. And it's sweet when a husband/father acknowledges that Smile
2/9/12 11:24 am

Post ??? Tracy S Hamilton
As long as it is a mom and not a dad, then we should all be OK..... lol Golf Cart Mafia Capo
2/9/12 11:26 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
Nothing mentioned about whether or not the breast and baby were modestly covered.

So... one person? In fairness, I did initially ask you to point to "a person in this thread." Laughing I'll let it go.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/9/12 11:26 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
Dave Dorsey wrote:
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
Nothing mentioned about whether or not the breast and baby were modestly covered.

So... one person? In fairness, I did initially ask you to point to "a person in this thread." :lol: I'll let it go.

No, actually there were several that I quoted. See the previous page.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/9/12 11:34 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
Also, if they actually meant that women should not expose their breast in public to nurse, but that it would be okay if a baby and breast were modestly covered, that was not clear from their posts.

Pretty sure most all of us here wouldn't consider it appropriate for a woman to expose her breast in public.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/9/12 11:36 am

Post Since it was us men... InspiredHillbilly
Since it has been said us men have been pushing down the throat what we want... and this is just men having an issue, I wanted to point something out.

I will admit, a women modestly covered or not, breastfeeding in public is just inappropriate to me. Not because it's sexual, but because it's intimate, it's private, it's something that is special between a mom and child. To me it just seems like a very private exercise, that's should be out there in public.

Also, when I asked my mom about this, this morning, as I wanted a women's viewpoint, she said it just seems to be very inappropriate in her eyes to breast feed in public covered or not.

I then emailed 3 ladies in my Pastor's Circle from church asking them their feelings... all in their 30's.... they also said that it's a private, personal thing. They all said, like Paige that it was bonding, a wonderful thing to do, etc. but they thought it was inappropriate to do so in public, covered or not.

One said, "I believe God wants me to breastfeed Jack if I'm physically able to do so, and I am. But it's private. This generation that wants to do it anywhere and everywhere is doing it because of convenience."

They all 3 chimed in with many replies to all saying they just aren't as mobile while they have a child they are breastfeeding, so that it stays private.

So I'm not sure this is just the men feeling this way... Very Happy

The Greatest Risk... is the Risk of Regret...
Golf Cart Mafia Associate
2/9/12 11:41 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
No, actually there were several that I quoted. See the previous page.

All right, well played. Thanks for going back to support what you were saying.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/9/12 11:44 am

Post Paige Hamby
Hillbilly,

While I echo the sentiments of those ladies - and again reiterate the fact that I rarely breastfeed in public in plain site - it should still be noted that there ARE times when a nursing mother is in a situation in which there is no option but to nurse publically. Regardless of the fact that a woman may not be as mobile as she'd like to be with a nursing baby, we STILL occasionally face circumstances in which we can either discreetly nurse in a public setting or be forced to sit on a dirty toilet seat in a dirty bathroom. I will take discreetly nursing in a corner of a store/church/etc over a bathroom. Usually, no one will even notice.

But to be told (on this board, all men so far) that it's weird or inappropriate is judgmental and ignorant (as in, lacking knowledge of such things).

Men, next time you judge a woman nursing in public, try to put yourself in her shoes and have a little compassion that maybe her baby is hungry and screaming its head off due to some unforseen circumstance on the mother's part. The mom is likely stressed out as it is, realizes that everyone is staring at her and just wants to get her baby to calm down. So she instinctually does what every nursing mother does without even thinking and gives her baby a boob to not only feed, but soothe him. Is this REALLY so offensive?

For goodness sake, turn your head instead of jumping to conclusions. Better yet, offer to take her cart back up to the store for her or help unload her groceries or offer a sympathetic smile or open the door for her. Try to have some sympathy for us when we are out in public because it's not as easy as it seems. Go home and ask your wife who has probably nursed a baby while trying to get your dinner on the table, vacuum your home and care for your other children all at the same time Smile
2/9/12 11:51 am

Post Ok you win.. c6thplayer1
IT is now ok for the childs diaper to be changed anywhere regardless of the contents. ITs a natural and beautiful thing you know. This includes the pew your sitting in, The coffee bar out front, the kitchen and the foyer.

You can lay the removed item on the seat next to you, the coffee counter
the ice tea tray, or on the pulpit if you happen to be at the alter at the time of discharge.

We will all smile and go home thinking what a beautiful thing we have witnessed and my what a socially astute lady attends our worship facility.

Last edited by c6thplayer1 on 2/9/12 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
2/9/12 11:54 am

Post InspiredHillbilly
Now Paige... Did I say it was offensive? I said in my opinion, and some others opinions, it's inappropriate...

2/9/12 11:55 am

Post Paige Hamby
InspiredHillbilly wrote:
Now Paige... Did I say it was offensive? I said in my opinion, and some others opinions, it's inappropriate...

I'm not referring to you on that one; that was directed to those on the thread who indicated that it was. Smile
2/9/12 11:58 am

Post Re: Ok you win.. Paige Hamby
c6thplayer1 wrote:
IT is now ok for the childs diaper to be changed anywhere regardless of the contents. ITs a natural and beautiful thing you know. This includes the pew your sitting in, The coffee bar out front, the kitchen and the foyer.

the ice tea tray, or on the pulpit if you happen to be at the alter at the time of discharge.

We will all smile and go home thinking what a beautiful thing we have witnessed and my what a socially astute lady attends our worship facility.

And responses like this are why I quit wasting my time on Actscelerate for the past year Smile
2/9/12 11:59 am

Post Re: Ok you win.. Nature Boy Florida
c6thplayer1 wrote:

If all you can think to do in that situation is look down your nose at someone that is not versed in al lthe social graces you are - well you are no better that the guys scoffing at the widows mite... imho.
2/9/12 12:01 pm

Post InspiredHillbilly
Paige Hamby wrote:
InspiredHillbilly wrote:

I'm not referring to you on that one; that was directed to those on the thread who indicated that it was. Smile

No worries... you just put my name at the top of the dissertation Very Happy , so I took for granted it was all at me.

2/9/12 12:03 pm

Post I forgot c6thplayer1
We should also reserve the 3rd pew for colonoscopy's. Just bring a blanket to cover yourself Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
2/9/12 12:03 pm

Post Paige Hamby
My mistake. I'm at work right now multi-tasking during a very busy day. And pumping at the same time Wink
2/9/12 12:04 pm

Post Re: I forgot Paige Hamby
c6thplayer1 wrote:
We should also reserve the 3rd pew for colonoscopy's. Just bring a blanket to cover yourself

For a second I forgot I was on an adult opinion board and thought I was at home with my 4 year old. Carry on Wink
2/9/12 12:05 pm

Post Re: I forgot Quiet Wyatt
c6thplayer1 wrote:
We should also reserve the 3rd pew for colonoscopy's. Just bring a blanket to cover yourself

What an asinine statement.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/9/12 12:06 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.