Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Breastfeeding in church - yes or No (L)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Breastfeeding in church - yes or No (L) Nature Boy Florida
http://www.news4jax.com/news/georgia-news/Church-forces-breastfeeding-mother-out/-/475792/8615922/-/7914gcz/-/index.html

This lady told to do it in the car - compared her to stripper for feeding in church.

What say you?
2/8/12 6:27 pm

Post Ignorance Gone Wild Dan Eason
If she was under a shawl or something, it is fine. That is why we have nurseries by the way, for nursing . . . the hypocrite who compared her to a stripper needs some fiber, she's full of something . . .
2/8/12 6:31 pm

Post John Stevenson
I agree with dan!
2/8/12 6:38 pm

Post Not where anyone can see... FloridaForever
If they have a nursery, fine. But not on the pew.

Sixty years ago, we might not have batted an eye at breastfeeding in church. But in this sexualized age, it could attract the wrong sort of attention.

Yes, breastfeed if you wish...but not where members of the opposite sex can observe.
Golf Cart Mafia Soldier
2/8/12 6:51 pm

Post I may be weird... Clint Wills
But I cannot stand public breastfeeding. I wouldn't compare someone to a stripper, but like it has been said already - don't do it in the service.

The owner of the preschool that my kids go to has a new born and she not only breastfeeds anywhere and everywhere, she isn't bashful about putting the baby on. I was there picking my kids up and she just flat out got her breast out and put the baby on as we were having a conversation!! Fortunately she doesn't do it in front of the kids because she knows we may not all want to answer those questions quite yet, but it drives me nuts!! At least have something covering you at all times.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
2/8/12 7:24 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
In the nursery or bathroom, yes. Elsewhere, no.

I read yesterday that a bunch of mothers organized a "sit in" at Facebook's offices because Facebook tags their breastfeeding images as obscene (not all, just the images featuring things exposed). This is somehow an incredible violation of everything that is right and decent.

I asked my wife why anyone would want to put a picture of themselves breastfeeding on Facebook, but she didn't know. (Probably because she's sane.)

I do not understand the Mommy Mafia. Take your kid to the nursery or the bathroom.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/8/12 7:28 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
I was at a grocery store one day and a lady was pushing her cart with a 2 year old sitting in the child basket facing her. The kid was leaning toward the lady breastfeeding. When I walked by the kid let go, leaned back and looked at me The lady was just standing there exposed. I just nodded and moved on. Laughing

I think it is appropriate to ask the lady to please either go to the nursery or go to the back row but not ask her to go to her car. Hopefully, she didn't shout while she was trying to breastfeed.

Which brings up another one of those old stories we have heard. The one about the lady trying to breastfeed and the baby wouldn't take it. The lady says...if you don't take it, I'm gonna give it to Bro Jones.
Acts-pert Poster
2/8/12 7:31 pm

Post You dont change diapers in public view c6thplayer1
so dont breast feed in public view.. I dont want to see either... Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
2/8/12 7:35 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
I am in social settings with different age groups pretty often.

What I have observed - is the younger ladies now seem excited to breastfeed while the socializing is going on. Throw a blanket over the top - while the baby sucks away - all out in the public.

Does anyone else notice this as the latest "fad"?
2/8/12 7:44 pm

Post Cojak
I guess I am showing my age again, and in the boat alone. There is nothing sexual about breast feeding. Back when there were cloth diapers a lady draped one over her shoulder and fed her baby. Very Natural.

So I guess it is a dated thing, but anyone is asking for some trouble to make a point during a church service. If you need that type of publicity go for it. But from some of the young ladies today, you might just have your hands full.

For heavens sake, it is not gonna become a big side show, unless you make it one.

I'm reminded of a situation that actually happened. The lady was trying to get a reluctant baby to take the breast about the time the preacher came around on Sunday morning shaking hands and welcoming everyone. As he approached, she says to the baby, "Now you take it sweetheart or I am gonna give it to the 'pweacha'." He skipped that pew and went a couple pews up!

I don't guess it is a back breaker, send them to the nursery, to the car or back home. I'd be willing to bet this lady was not a 'prominent tithe paying member, or from a prominent church family.

Anyway it would have been smart handled later.

But in answer to the post. YES!
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
2/8/12 8:06 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
I see absolutely nothing wrong with public breastfeeding with a modest covering of some kind. They actually make some specifically for that now. It's perfectly natural and beautiful. As long as the breast is modestly covered I can't see anything wrong with it.

I honestly can't fathom why anyone would attach shame to it by saying they should go to a bathroom or nursery to do it.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/8/12 8:22 pm

Post Link
Before I got married and had kids, breastfeeding in public would have been really weird. I lived overseas for a number of years, though, and I had to walk across this foot-bridge that went over a highway, where just about every day, a beggar woman would be feeding her baby while asking for money. I'd just not look at what she was doing.

I do think, especially in the culture of the US, a woman should at least cover everything up. It is sad that feeding babies the natural way is sexualized. I definitely do not think a mother should have to miss hearing the word of God to breastfeed, and I definitely don't think she should have to take the baby out in the heat of summer or cold of winter to feed the baby. A nursery in ear shot works. You could also have a privacy screen in the corner, a back pew reserved, maybe with something put up to screne the section to give the mommies a bit more privacy. A couple of ladies could volunteer to hold up blankets around her there on the back row until she gets the blanket over the baby.
2/8/12 8:27 pm

Post bradfreeman
In Uganda it could happen anytime! Shocked

My website: www.bradfreeman.com
My blog: http://bradcfreeman.tumblr.com/
Acts-dicted
2/8/12 9:14 pm

Post Pastors Friend
Breast feeding is a beautiful and private action. Don't go in the toilet to do it, but go to the nursery or a room set aside for that. I wouldn't want my meals served in a toilet. We have to accomadate everything and everybody these days from A to Z and this should be one of them.
This to is something the older ladies should teach to the younger. Modesty is part of the christian life. Breast feeding is private, personal, and wonderful.
BTW, I was not breast fed! LOL
PF Very Happy
Acts Enthusiast
2/8/12 10:32 pm

Post Brandon Bowers
There's nothing sexual about breastfeeding, but there's also nothing sexual about taking a leak!

But if I dare whip it out in public and urinate, I'm going to jail.

While both are a bodily function of sorts, the organs used to do so are private, thus using those body parts should remain private... At least have a little respect for those around you!
2/8/12 11:09 pm

Post Funny short story Dean Steenburgh
I'm preaching in Ghana one time &on the front row this young mom drops her top & starts feeding her infant while not missing a beat with saying 'Amen' during the message & it was as though she were in the privacy of her own home. The Pastor told me later that it is an acceptable practice in their area but he could tell that I was a little surprised by the ordeal.

I say for the sucklings here in America, their mom probably has the option in most cases to go to the nursery or somewhere private with a blanket to be used for privacy. We don't need this on the front rows of our churches ...for many reasons! Wink Wink

Email me at: SteenburghDean@gmail.com

Church planters are focused on just one thing ...introducing people to Jesus!
What are you focused on?
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
2/8/12 11:39 pm

Post I felt like a creeper... Rife Stewart
when I walked over to a mom who (I didn't realize) was nursing her infant. It just looked like she was holding him close, then when I got close she pulled him away and I naturally looked (seriously it was innocent) and "whoop there it is"...I was like OM_! Did that just really happen in church! I felt like such a creeper!

How fast can I get out of this conversation! Embarassed
Acts-celerater
2/9/12 12:02 am

Post Poimen
I'm with Wyatt on this one. Sure it Ames me a
Italy uncomfortable, since our culture has dismissed and sanitized what Od made for so long. Nt as long as it is done with modesty, I don't see what the big deal is. Of course. Also like the idea od providing a nursery, etc. as well.

I wish I could find it now. But there is a report from one of the assemblies of yester year, before the 20's split, that talked about the mixed host of congregants; the aged and the young together, the dark and the fair, and the host of babies nursing on their mothers there. That recently such was, and had been since the eginning of creation, the norm.

Now, as for breastfeeding not being sexual, that is not exactly so. Obviously the baby nursing on it's mother is not a sexual act. Still, that doesn't mean the exposed breast, or the idea of nursing itself (baby excluded), is not sexually appealing to lots of people. Either way, a modest draping should take care of that. Add a nursery besides and that should essentially remove any reasonable problems with the act during church.

The long and short of it, for me, is ... it's fine as long as it's discreet and modest.

Singing: "Let us then be true and faithful -- trusting, serving, everyday. Just one glimpse of Him in glory will the toils of life repay."
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
2/9/12 3:01 am

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post bradfreeman
Brandon Bowers wrote:
There's nothing sexual about breastfeeding, but there's also nothing sexual about taking a leak!

But if I dare whip it out in public and urinate, I'm going to jail.

While both are a bodily function of sorts, the organs used to do so are private, thus using those body parts should remain private... At least have a little respect for those around you!

Laughing I don't think momma's going to the big house for feeding Jr. You, on the other hand, better keep that thing packed away!!!

My website: www.bradfreeman.com
My blog: http://bradcfreeman.tumblr.com/
Acts-dicted
2/9/12 7:53 am

Post InspiredHillbilly
Serve Junior his lunch in the nursery or a Sunday School room. At my work, we have a "lactation room" for nursing mothers to pump their milk. This should be done in private....

The Greatest Risk... is the Risk of Regret...
Golf Cart Mafia Associate
2/9/12 8:20 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.