Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Divorcing a spouse with Alzheimer's is justified
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post georgiapath
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
Pat Robertson really needs to make sure he doesn't miss his Alzheimer's meds or better yet just retire and keep his mouth shut.

Well said.
Acts-dicted
9/15/11 12:45 pm

Post Re: I have heard of this.... W. Ray Williams
Clint Wills wrote:
Dave Dorsey wrote:
W. Ray Williams wrote:
a spouse divorcing when one must be put in long term care and in order to get Medicare, SSI or other assistance they must divorce or spend the entire nest -egg on the hospitalization and be destitute for the rest of hier life.

Not just for the convenience of the situation.

I would not judge or condemn someone who did that, especially if they remained unmarried. That said, and I realize this is easy to say, I would rather live destitute and in matrimony to my wife then have wealth and be separated from her.

There is no amount of money that could get me to leave my wife in her greatest time of need. Besides that, my Father owns the cattle on a thousand hills...He can figure out my expenses just like he always has.

I agree, in this case the spouse was faithful, visited daily and was with them when they passed.

Ray
Acts-celerater
9/15/11 2:01 pm

Post What is even more suprising... W. Ray Williams
when I read the article on The Church Report...

The question was asked about a "friend". The "friend" was already in a relationship with another woman, and was still married to the wife with an illness.

First they are in a sinful relationship already. Even if there is no sex there is an improper emotional attachment that is supplanting the husband/wife relationship.

Second, they have the audacity to ask for permission to get a divorce when they nee to be repenting of sin and getting thier hearts right with God.

Come on Pat!!!

Ray
Acts-celerater
9/15/11 2:03 pm

Post Re: Divorcing a spouse with Alzheimer's is justified Pastors Friend
Mark A. Halloran wrote:
Asked about marriage vows to stay together 'til death do us part,' Pat Robertson says: 'This is a kind of death'

Do you think this is justified according to Scripture??

If that kind of logic is right, why not kill the person with Alzheimer. I mean, by this logic they are dead already according to PR. Personally, I think this is absolutely insane to divorce based on Alzheimer.
PF
Acts Enthusiast
9/15/11 3:14 pm

Post Told wife Mark Hardgrove
I told my wife that if I'm ever on that condition she has my permission to divorce me. Hopefully her and the kids would visit but I'd want her to enjoy life even if without me.
Dean & VP for Academics at BHU
http://www.beulah.org/
Acts-celerater
9/15/11 6:10 pm

Post Larry Wiley
Preparing to do a wedding Sat night.

For sickness and in health until death (when the heart quits) we do part.

When does life begin?
When does life end?

I like Pat but he missed this one.
9/15/11 6:21 pm

Post Link
One thing to keep in mind is this is from MSNBC. Do you think they like Pat Robertson? Might they not have a motive to twist what he said?

It is conceivable that Pat Robertson was saying it was better to divorce her than to cheat on her, but not condoning divorce, and that the news people just took the portions of what he said out of context. Robertson is a very hated man when it comes to certain liberals.

If he said what they make it sound like he said, that is unconscienable, but we have to realize that news agencies aren't all that accurate. Whenever I've seen a story on something I knew a little about, it seems like news stores are maybe about half right.

Last edited by Link on 9/15/11 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Acts-perienced Poster
9/15/11 8:00 pm

Post Re: Told wife Link
Mark Hardgrove wrote:
I told my wife that if I'm ever on that condition she has my permission to divorce me. Hopefully her and the kids would visit but I'd want her to enjoy life even if without me.

And I hope she said, "Honey, I would never divorce you."

That sounds rather selfless of you, but isn't it your duty to her as a husband to encourage her to follow God whole-heartedly? Would you want to encourage her to disobey Christ and sin against God by divorcing you?

Last edited by Link on 9/15/11 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Acts-perienced Poster
9/15/11 8:01 pm

Post Link
The video clip looks just about as bad as the quote from the article, but it cuts off what he said after <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6BvFvDjAbw>. His co-host had the sense to poke a hole in his argument with the 'to death do us part' bit.

This is probably more embarrassing to him than his political endorsement of Guiliani.

I saw the rest of the video, btw. <http://www.cbn.com/media/player/index.aspx?s=/mp4/BIO_091311_WS> . It is just as bad as the clip shows.

Last edited by Link on 9/15/11 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Acts-perienced Poster
9/15/11 8:07 pm

Post c6thplayer1
Dave Dorsey wrote:
I can't imagine the unbearable sadness of having a spouse who no longer remembers or knows you - but I also cannot imagine ever leaving a spouse in that situation. The thought of either makes me want to weep.

I can't agree with this statement.

Thank You...
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
9/15/11 8:14 pm

Post Breaks my heart.. HighlyFavoured
Pat def missed it on this one!

My mom was diagnosed with cancer and given six months to live...according to Pat she was already "dead"..but my dad was by her side til she took her last breath.
9/15/11 9:52 pm

Post My thoughts L Ken Shelton
I shared my thoughts about this subject under the post, "My mother died."

http://www.actscelerate.com/viewtopic.php?t=65354
9/15/11 9:58 pm

Post Link
If Alheimer's justified ending a marriage because it is a type of death, why would a divorce be necessary? Wouldn't Robertson consider the person who remarried just a type of window/widower?

Do we only keep commandments on marriage if our spouse is meeting our needs for companionship, or do we keep them during the tough times when our spouses can't meet our needs because they are not able?
9/15/11 11:14 pm

Post georgiapath
Lord Chancellor wrote:
Why not?

It's not like they'll find out.

Laughing you have a point.
Acts-dicted
9/16/11 6:59 am

Post interesting take Jason Moore
http://www.slate.com/id/2303989/?GT1=38001

This article contends that Robertson was actually wrestling with a tough question. It almost seems as though they commend him for struggling through it rather than giving the easy, trite answer.

The only good race pace is suicide pace--and today looks like a good day to die.
-Steve Prefontaine
Acts-celerater
9/16/11 9:24 am

Post Eduardo Nieves
totally disagree with Pat.
Romanos 8:37
37 Sin embargo, en todo esto somos más que vencedores por medio de aquel que nos amó.

"A Church Without Walls, A Place for All People"
El Nuevo Mana
Eduardo Nieves
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
9/16/11 9:26 am

Post I am not a Pat Robertson apologist... Phil Cook
but it seemed to me that he made the statement in light of the fact that the person had already entered into a relationship with another person. I think he was trying to communicate that it is better to divorce the spouse rather than live in adultery. Does anyone else see it that way?

The fact is that he remains a lightning rod for all non-Christians and secular society. If he says anything at all, there is an attempt to demonize him. I don't think I was looking to empathize with him on this matter, but I heard him wrestling with a difficult issue. He was not being flippant or cavalier about it, in my humble opinion.

While other comments here have allowed for their spouse to divorce in this case, I don't know that I could do that. In hindsight, he should have made that point more clearly.

Phil
Friendly Face
9/16/11 9:33 am

Post Re: I am not a Pat Robertson apologist... Link
Phil Cook wrote:
but it seemed to me that he made the statement in light of the fact that the person had already entered into a relationship with another person. I think he was trying to communicate that it is better to divorce the spouse rather than live in adultery. Does anyone else see it that way?

Maybe that was in his mind. I suspected that is what he meant, and that is what I suspected after watching the MSNBC clip. But then I saw the 700 Club clip, and he goes on rationalizing divorcing the woman with Alzheimer's. Then he admits someone else might be more qualified to answer the question.

I know he wants people to 'Bring it on' but if he can't answer a question confidently with implications like this one, he should tell them not to read it on the air. It's his show after all.

The underlying assumption is that marriage exists to give people companionship (including sex, etc.). The man's wife couldn't provide that anymore. I taught a course on American culture and actually learned a lot from the textbook. The book said that Americans think people marry to be happy, which is an argument for ending it if parties aren't happy. That's pretty true of many Americans. But I don't see that as the basis for marriage in scripture.
9/16/11 4:12 pm

Post The funniest part about this... Clint Wills
Is how righteous the media has become all-of-the-sudden. A media that back most every liberal agenda item in existence has a problem with divorce now??

As far as divorcing rather than living in sin, isn't that trying to correct one sin with another? Not sure, but I don't think the math adds up on that one.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
9/16/11 4:17 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
Probably ok to divorce.

Using Pat's previous logic, where every natural disaster is attributed to homosexuality (re: hurricanes, earthquakes, Katrina, etc...) this spouse with Alzheimers is certainly a homosexual and thus caused this disease to come upon herself - and thus OK to divorce due to her homosexuality.

Twisted Evil
9/16/11 4:57 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.