Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Divorcing a spouse with Alzheimer's is justified
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Divorcing a spouse with Alzheimer's is justified Mark A. Halloran
Asked about marriage vows to stay together 'til death do us part,' Pat Robertson says: 'This is a kind of death'

Do you think this is justified according to Scripture??

Lamp of Messiah Hebraic Ministries
Friendly Face
9/15/11 5:49 am

Post Eddie Robbins
No. The vow is not "til kind of death do we part." Acts-pert Poster
9/15/11 5:59 am

Post Twisting Scripture 4golf
This is another case of Gods Word being twisted by some one who is twisted! I agree with Eddie. Gods Words stand on there own Words. Then again I remmembre a Presdient asking what the meaning of the word "Is" means. So I guess we ought to make sure," Death means when you stop breathing, and no longer of this world! Bound By Beaulah
9/15/11 6:26 am

Post Is it different? Mark A. Halloran
Is this any different than a person in a coma or persistent vegetative state? According to Pat Robertson's definition for a person with Alzheimer, and following his logic, spouses in these conditions have also suffered a "kind of death" and therefore we can leave them as well.

Where do we stop redefining the word "death?" As 4golf pointed out, we even have presidents redefining words like "is" to justify sinful behavior. Now we have a prominent preacher redefining the word "death" to justify sin for a man. We are truly in a time where sound preaching from pulpits needs to be heard that will produce disciples of the Word, not babies looking for loopholes in the Word!

And I agree fully with Eddie in that my marriage vows were to love my wife in SICKNESS and in health, til death do us part! I would never even consider leaving her no matter what her health issues until she has really died and been buried.[/u]

Lamp of Messiah Hebraic Ministries
Friendly Face
9/15/11 8:25 am

Post Bullseye77
This is total nonsense. You don't diviorce someone who is sick, and Alzheimers is a sickness. It seems that the Rev. Mr. Roberson is making accommodations for those who don't really love their spouses anyway. I couldn't imagine ever abandoning my wife. These type people keep moving the line. But the Word of God does not accommodate everyone. It is opposition to the mind of the flesh.
Romans 8:7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
9/15/11 8:29 am

Post Eddie Robbins
It also discounts the belief of healing. You can imagine the "what if" scenarios if God decided to heal one with Alzheimer's. Acts-pert Poster
9/15/11 8:33 am

Post Nick Park
It also opens the door for euthanasia. If they're already 'kind of dead' enough to be divorced, then they may also be kind of dead enough to be put down like an animal.

http://eaiseanchai.wordpress.com/
Acts Enthusiast
9/15/11 8:52 am

Post Dave Dorsey
I can't imagine the unbearable sadness of having a spouse who no longer remembers or knows you - but I also cannot imagine ever leaving a spouse in that situation. The thought of either makes me want to weep.

I can't agree with this statement.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/15/11 9:20 am

Post georgiapath
Maybe Pat will get it and his wife will divorce him. Wouldn't that be funny. Acts-dicted
9/15/11 9:57 am

Post Three words come to mind roughridercog
WRONG
WRONG and
WRONG
9/15/11 9:58 am

Post I have heard of this.... W. Ray Williams
a spouse divorcing when one must be put in long term care and in order to get Medicare, SSI or other assistance they must divorce or spend the entire nest -egg on the hospitalization and be destitute for the rest of hier life.

Not just for the convenience of the situation.

Ray
Acts-celerater
9/15/11 10:24 am

Post Re: I have heard of this.... Dave Dorsey
W. Ray Williams wrote:
a spouse divorcing when one must be put in long term care and in order to get Medicare, SSI or other assistance they must divorce or spend the entire nest -egg on the hospitalization and be destitute for the rest of hier life.

I would not judge or condemn someone who did that, especially if they remained unmarried. That said, and I realize this is easy to say, I would rather live destitute and in matrimony to my wife then have wealth and be separated from her.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/15/11 10:49 am

Post Re pertain said WHAT!?!?!? Poimen
Wow! Un.be.lieve.able

Singing: "Let us then be true and faithful -- trusting, serving, everyday. Just one glimpse of Him in glory will the toils of life repay."

Last edited by Poimen on 9/15/11 11:13 am; edited 2 times in total
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
9/15/11 11:02 am

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post Re: I have heard of this.... Poimen
Dave Dorsey wrote:
W. Ray Williams wrote:

I would not judge or condemn someone who did that, especially if they remained unmarried. That said, and I realize this is easy to say, I would rather live destitute and in matrimony to my wife then have wealth and be separated from her.

I hear ya. I don't know that it would really be the right thing to do, but I can understand it & wouldn't want to condemn them. Yet for sure, they would need to remain unmarried, or be reconciled, as it were. You are spot on Dave. Wink

For Robertson to suggest otherwise is to encourage and condone adultery. That is cause for weeping too. Sad

Singing: "Let us then be true and faithful -- trusting, serving, everyday. Just one glimpse of Him in glory will the toils of life repay."
9/15/11 11:09 am

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post Hogwash... Clint Wills
Not only is it wrong, it's embarrassing how easily we giver "permission" to get divorced. A guy in our church divorced his wife because his CHRISTIAN counselor gave him permission.

Here's the deal "what God has brought together, let NO MAN break apart".

No man includes Pat Robertson, Christian counselors, and pastors. God is the only one who can "give permission" to get a divorce. My sister moved out of her house after finding out that her husband had a girlfriend. He wasn't sorry and wasn't planning to do anything about it. However, she refused to divorce him for a few months while she prayed about it. Biblically she had the RIGHT to divorce, but spiritually she wanted to hear from God about it. She did, eventually, divorce him, but not because anyone allowed it or blessed it.
9/15/11 11:12 am

Post Re: I have heard of this.... Clint Wills
Dave Dorsey wrote:
W. Ray Williams wrote:

There is no amount of money that could get me to leave my wife in her greatest time of need. Besides that, my Father owns the cattle on a thousand hills...He can figure out my expenses just like he always has.
9/15/11 11:14 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
Pat Robertson really needs to make sure he doesn't miss his Alzheimer's meds or better yet just retire and keep his mouth shut. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/15/11 11:35 am

Post Cojak
We all must answer for what we do. WE must know how we feel. In the present, I cannot think of ever leaving this woman I have been married to for 55 years. Dealing with Alzheimer's, is different from anything I have EVER seen. Dementia is bad, but Alzheimer's? I would definitely NEVER give advice such as Pat is suggesting.

Just last year I visited the clerk of the first church I pastored, John Haywood knows the man well. This disease is so hard to understand. For someone to look at you and NOT KNOW YOU is heart breaking. His wife and family still talk to him as if he is there, but HE is gone.

I cannot imagine abandoning my wife because of this. Crying or Very sad
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
9/15/11 11:56 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
Maybe Pat is giving his wife permission to leave him. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/15/11 12:03 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
I heard a story once about a man who went to visit his wife who had Alzheimer's every day, even though she didn't know him anymore. When asked why he took the time to do that, he said, "Because I know who she is."

The context of Pat's saying this (according to media) was if a man was cheating on his wife who had Alzheimers, what should the man be counseled to do? The only reasoning I can think of that he would say this is that at least if he divorced her, he wouldn't be sinning by committing adultery. Not saying he is right by any stretch of the imagination, but it does give a slightly different slant to just out & out saying, "Divorce your wife with Alzheimers."

This has to be one of the goofiest things Pat Roberson has ever said!

BTW, Alheimers is a type of dementia. They told me when my mom was diagnosed with dementia that they can't say for sure it's Alzheimers unless they biopsy the brain after death.
9/15/11 12:04 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.