Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

I love the Church Of God Because ....
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post I love the Church Of God Because .... Mark Hardgrove
I love the Church of God because they will allow even the nay-sayers and constant complainers to have their say. They get to come to the microphone just like everyone else. They have the freedom to express their opinions, no matter how trivial I may think they are, and as squeaky wheels, they often even get oil and are recognized in our publications.

There are few organizations in the world where this is the case. It must be grace. I love the Church of God!
Dean & VP for Academics at BHU
http://www.beulah.org/
Acts-celerater
8/16/11 7:06 am

Post Judah4Him
Thumb Up Thumb Up Thumb Up Friendly Face
8/16/11 7:17 am

Post Re: I love the Church Of God Because .... spartanfan
Mark Hardgrove wrote:
I love the Church of God because they will allow even the nay-sayers and constant complainers to have their say. They get to come to the microphone just like everyone else. They have the freedom to express their opinions, no matter how trivial I may think they are, and as squeaky wheels, they often even get oil and are recognized in our publications.

There are few organizations in the world where this is the case. It must be grace. I love the Church of God!

I love the Church of God because of people like Mark Hardgrove. The church is "the people" and we've got so many fine and wonderful brothers and sisters in our church - I am privileged just to be a part of it.
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
8/16/11 7:48 am

Post Kyle Morrow
Great post Dr. Hardgrove (Earned Doctorate) !!! Golf Cart Mafia Soldier
8/16/11 11:08 am

Post Eddie Robbins
I love the Church of God because it is family.

My great grandmother (and throughtheflood's also) received the Baptism of the Holy Ghost on July 17, 1898. Her name was Lillian Davis before she was married to Peter Comer. I heard my Daddy preach about her many times. C Raymond Spain used to preach about her experience as well. She received the Holy Ghost and didn't know what it was until a Church of God man came through town preaching about it. She later started a church in North Carolina. So, my roots run deep in the Church of God. My Daddy was a preacher as well as many uncles, an aunt, cousins and brothers-in-law. My father-in-law was Charles Conn. If I didn't love the Church of God, I wouldn't be on this forum.
Acts-pert Poster
8/16/11 11:11 am

Post throughtheflood
Yes Eddie, I agree. Just think what if she had not decided to follow Jesus. All of those preachers, prayer warriors, Sunday School teachers, your missionary daughter, etc may have not followed the path they have taken. The same is for every Christian. Someone prayed and layed the foundation for each of us. Now. Isn't that sobering to think that what we do isn't just affecting us but generations in the future that will come after we are gone? Acts-celerater
8/16/11 1:22 pm

Post great post! SPORTSFAN
This is the best post I have ever read on acts! I get so frusterated everyone having a new gripe everyday! I love the CoG. Were not perfect, but I believe in the DoF and Pay my ToT. I don't use secret envelopes to keep more in my local church. Again, were not perfect, but every time I've ever needed support, my DO, SO, EC, and even GO have been more than gracious. Hey, DOC
8/16/11 2:09 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
My family can be dysfunctional, but I still love them. Acts-pert Poster
8/16/11 2:18 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
Wow LC.

I hope you are wrong.

But I hope Mark tells us who he really was talking about - because it sure seems like you've connected the dots here.
8/16/11 5:22 pm

Post I love the church in spite of... Lifer
I love the Church of God myself; however, I have two sons who want nothing to do with the Church of God because of how they were treated when they were teenagers. One was falsely accused by a man who also falsely accused me of something that happened in a NC youth camp when I was 15 years old. I never received an apology even when it was proven that his allegations were wrong. My son also was wrongly accused by this same man and never received an apology. Once again he was proven wrong and went about his merry way. He is now an AB in the Church of God and I think that he is on his fifth assignment as such.

My other son was actually slapped by a Church of God minister during a NC youth camp. This man did apologize, but he alienated my son so much, he now wants nothing to do with the Church of God. This particular man is now on his third assignment as an AB.

I am still in the church and have been so ever since I was born. I have no intentions of leaving the church, but some of our pompous leaders turn me off more than I could ever say. This church is great because of people who feared God and made tremendous sacrifices. Some of the 'upper echelon elites" have made their way up the ladder, but have done the church plenty of harm while they climbed over others.
Friendly Face
8/16/11 5:42 pm

Post ???? diakoneo
nevermind Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
8/16/11 5:42 pm

Post Phillip Johnson
Lord Chancellor wrote:
Now, I've never bought an internet degree, but I'm a smart enough guy, and I'd say this thread was aimed at someone in particular.

Mark, just to be clear, here, is this what you are referring to?

http://www.actscelerate.com/viewtopic.php?t=64365&highlight=evangel

Will we see another Kyle Morrow type equivocation by Mark? Will this be a drive by flaming disguised as a positive post about the COG? Or will Mark man up to his attack?
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
8/16/11 7:10 pm

Post Re: I love the Church Of God Because .... Phillip Johnson
Mark Hardgrove wrote:

That's cute.
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
8/16/11 7:14 pm

Post MARK317
Phillip Johnson wrote:
Lord Chancellor wrote:
Now, I've never bought an internet degree, but I'm a smart enough guy, and I'd say this thread was aimed at someone in particular.

Will we see another Kyle Morrow type equivocation by Mark? Will this be a drive by flaming disguised as a positive post about the COG? Or will Mark man up to his attack?

Don't know what his motives was, but truth is truth. Some guys are nothing but crybabies and they would never allow their Parishoners to do them, like they do the the Church. I see a door wide open for those who don't like the COG.
Acts-celerater
8/16/11 7:17 pm

Post John Stevenson
Eddie Robbins wrote:

Quote:
My family can be dysfunctional, but I still love them.

Right on! I may not always agree or get along with everyone in my family but I still love them. Thanks Eddie!
Acts-celerater
8/16/11 8:04 pm

Post Re: I love the Church Of God Because .... SouthGeorgiaBoy
spartanfan wrote:
Mark Hardgrove wrote:

I love the Church of God because of people like Mark Hardgrove. The church is "the people" and we've got so many fine and wonderful brothers and sisters in our church - I am privileged just to be a part of it.

Amen!!!!
Acts Enthusiast
8/16/11 8:12 pm

Post MARK317
Lord Chancellor wrote:
Phillip Johnson wrote:
Lord Chancellor wrote:

Those Internet degrees you can buy online don't come with a set of stones.

You either have those to begin with or you don't.

Huh?
Acts-celerater
8/16/11 8:24 pm

Post Re: I love the Church Of God Because .... bradfreeman
Mark Hardgrove wrote:

I love the people in the organization. They are the church. Many of my dearest and closest friends are members of the CoG. Many are members of other organizations, many are Christians not affiliated with any organization. I love the idea of a coalition believers sharing their values, encouraging each other and pooling their resources to get help the poor and spread the gospel.

I don't like what perpetuation of our current corporate model has done to our doctrine (we have erred from scripture in numerous ways), how it rewards political climbing, self-promotion and selfish-ambition among leadership and how we denigrate, demonize and dismiss people who disagree with us and discard people who fail.

Brad Freeman J.D. (Juris Doctorate...you should call me doctor!) Wink

My website: www.bradfreeman.com
My blog: http://bradcfreeman.tumblr.com/
Acts-dicted
8/16/11 8:36 pm

Post Re: I love the church in spite of... Cojak
Lifer wrote:
I love the Church of God myself; however, I have two sons who want nothing to do with the Church of God because of how they were treated when they were teenagers. One was falsely accused by a man who also falsely accused me of something that happened in a NC youth camp when I was 15 years old. I never received an apology even when it was proven that his allegations were wrong. My son also was wrongly accused by this same man and never received an apology. Once again he was proven wrong and went about his merry way. He is now an AB in the Church of God and I think that he is on his fifth assignment as such.

My other son was actually slapped by a Church of God minister during a NC youth camp. This man did apologize, but he alienated my son so much, he now wants nothing to do with the Church of God. This particular man is now on his third assignment as an AB.

I am still in the church and have been so ever since I was born. I have no intentions of leaving the church, but some of our pompous leaders turn me off more than I could ever say. This church is great because of people who feared God and made tremendous sacrifices. Some of the 'upper echelon elites" have made their way up the ladder, but have done the church plenty of harm while they climbed over others.

I know what you are saying, and I understand. I watched in Youth Camp, as a preacher, later to be in the top admin in Cleveland, beat a kid with an inner tube at the pool for splashing water on him, and was so angry he was screaming. Amazing how some folk make it.

Anyway with Godly parents who gave their very lives to the COG, you and I still love it.
Love you Bro! Will remember the kids in prayer, also I have one who really needs prayer.
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
8/16/11 11:48 pm

Post because Mark Hardgrove
I love the leadership. I think we have top notch men and women in leadership. My complaint (squeaky wheel) is that we need to see women given full partnership in ministry. However, the men that are currently at the top levels of leadership are men of integrity and I may be naive but I have total confidence in their leadership ability and their desire to see the Church of God move forward despite the current budget challenges.

I guess many of us see, or think we see, a way to improve the COG, and we always need to be bringing those constructive ideas to the table. The problem I see is that much of what is couched as concern and improvement is little more than self-serving grandstanding. And yes, I'm probably as guiilty of as anyone else of this.
Dean & VP for Academics at BHU
http://www.beulah.org/
Acts-celerater
8/17/11 7:31 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.