Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Maybe I'm Too Old Fashion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Re: Social Drinking Eddie Robbins
Restorationman wrote:
Eddie, I didnt say it wasn't fermented my observation was the pecurement process was very different than what we have today! Again, and opinion and balance and wisdom for me is to Abstain!

Just as the water is different. I agree.
Acts-pert Poster
8/10/11 4:28 pm

Post Social Drinking Restorationman
Ephesians Scripture were it say excess according to Dr Arrington a Greek Scholar he reads it say powerphrasing Where it is Sin but rather be filled with the HS! Friendly Face
8/10/11 4:31 pm

What part of of Be not drunk with wine wherin it is excess but raher be filled with the HS! I dont mean that curt just not following what your are saying! Again, to me contexually thats what I get from that part of the Scripture! Friendly Face
8/10/11 4:34 pm

Post lord chance KevinWallace
I would be interested to see your interpretive mechanism in action as it relates to the exegetical submission I offered.

By the way, for a person to continually state that their interpretation is a FACT is typically an indication that there is internal argument that resides within that they are trying hard to ignore. Your interpretation is just that its yours. Its not infallible no matter how sincere you are.
8/10/11 4:51 pm

Thank you I submit it doesn't tell you to either! The owness to me is on being filled to over flow of the Spirit! Thank you for agreeing to disagree! I made a covenant with God and the Church so I will always abstain but you have your opinion as well! However, I don't want to send a double message to my children and to thoe who are bound by strong drink! Friendly Face
8/10/11 4:52 pm

Post Re: lord chance Phillip Johnson
Lord Chancellor wrote:

Should we abstain? It's the best approach, especially in our culture. But, still is not required.

These are facts. They are not merely opinions just because you don't agree with them.

What someone should or should not do, in this case is your opinion. The statement that the Bible does not mandate abstinence is a fact.
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
8/10/11 5:15 pm

Post Re: lord chance Nature Boy Florida
Phillip Johnson wrote:
Lord Chancellor wrote:

Should we abstain? It's the best approach, especially in our culture. But, still is not required.

These are facts. They are not merely opinions just because you don't agree with them.

What someone should or should not do, in this case is your opinion. The statement that the Bible does not mandate abstinence is a fact.

Nice catch Phillip.

LC making lots of faux pas' today.

Which I also think is funny. Twisted Evil
8/10/11 5:18 pm

As to Timothy drinking it my understanding that was for a stomach issue and nothing more than the weakest form of our cough syrup we have today and Timothydid not command that i have to drink! We have good water, and nexium! As to an opinion I was saying that I disagree with Social Drinking because of a Covenant with God and my Church! Sampson did that by way of a vow and a Bishop was not to be given to wine and John the Baptist speaks of against as well! Nobody is saying that folks didnt drink wine in the Bible its the percurement process being much different than our Culture of today! As to stone cold facts and my opinion there is no where in the Bible that says I have to Drink wine Socially regarless of Culture! They had multiple wives in OT but we dont under the new Covenant and nobody ever said you would go to Hell if you Drink you made that assumption that i was saying that! I made a statement of saying thats your opinion or my opinion in the Spirit of a Brotherly Debate and thats the Stone Cold facts! I dont have to believe its okay regardless of your slant or my slant I choose not to and you do whatever you feel you need to do! If you have time you can go back and read some of my posts on this topic and you will see this is the way I feel in regard for my Walk! Friendly Face
8/10/11 5:42 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
Quote:
nothing more than the weakest form of our cough syrup we have today

How would you know that?
Acts-pert Poster
8/10/11 5:50 pm

Eddie Perry Stone has a great teaching on the percurement process and that's the jist of hos state but he has a Teaching devoted this subject in depth Hebrew and Greek Word Study and understanding the way they process in the Culture of their Day! Friendly Face
8/10/11 6:10 pm

can't type today just his sorry Friendly Face
8/10/11 6:12 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
Well, if Perry Stone says it, I believe it and that settles it. Laughing

It's an incredible thing to know what the wine that Jesus created was no more than our cough syrup. That's amazing!! I wonder if drunk back then was the same as drunk today? Laughing
Acts-pert Poster
8/10/11 6:28 pm

Eddie you were talking about the scripture about Timothy's Stomach problem no where in the text does it say he turned what Timothy was drink or wasn't drinking in tho the Wine we might drink in our Day! Also, I just said Perry had a teaching on it I didn't say he was a Authority! So, if you have a problem with his teaching email or call him I have and he was gracious to talk with me and discuss his views! Friendly Face
8/10/11 6:45 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
The smiley face has a purpose.

A funny thing about the "nowhere in the scripture" argument. The same logic can be used about initial evidence.
Acts-pert Poster
8/10/11 6:54 pm

I'm done blessings to all but for me I will abstain not any better than anyone that just my conviction! Friendly Face
8/10/11 6:55 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
Certainly, no one wants to change your personal convictions!! God bless!! Acts-pert Poster
8/10/11 6:57 pm

Post Re: well Mark Randy Johnson
MARK317 wrote:
Randy Johnson wrote:
KevinWallace wrote:
I'd say that about refutes the notion that it can't be found in the Bible. Of course we will await the proper exegesis of these texts.

Especially since Mark has already given us the eisegesis. Wink

Blessings be upon you Randy. So I am not a scholar, but I believe the Bible is written to understand and it is not only made available to the so-called experts. It is not there only for the ones who understand Greek and Hebrew, or can break the Word down like some can. It is not exclusive to an elite group. I stand by what I have written.

Mark, no harm, no foul intended, I was just messin' witcha.
Cool
Ickesburg, Pennsylvania
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
8/10/11 8:42 pm

Post When I was in college... Mark Ledbetter
I was constantly confronted with an opportunity to drink. At the dorm the beverage of choice was beer. I resisted the offers graciously. One Friday evening they guys kept insisting that I should at least try it, so I did. I took a can from one of the guys, took a sip, and gave it back. They asked, "Did you like it?" I replied, "Anything that looks like that, smells like that, and taste like that you can pour back into the horse." They never asked me to drink again.

Some time later, different setting, they were drinking daiquiris and again I was asked if I wanted one. They kept persisting so I said ok and took one sip and gave it back to them. They said, "What's wrong, didn't you like it?" I replied, "Yes, it tasted good. That's why I gave it back." They never asked me again.

40 years later someone asked if I wanted a beer. I asked, "Does it still look and smell the same as it always has?" They said, "Yes." I replied, "I doubt seriously that the taste has improved."
Spirit-Led
(This is how I want to be)
Golf Cart Mafia Associate
8/10/11 9:51 pm

Post my two cents Jason Moore
Deut. 14:22-26 Make an offering of ten percent, a tithe, of all the produce which grows in your fields year after year. Bring this into the Presence of God, your God, at the place he designates for worship and there eat the tithe from your grain, wine, and oil and the firstborn from your herds and flocks. In this way you will learn to live in deep reverence before God, your God, as long as you live. But if the place God, your God, designates for worship is too far away and you can't carry your tithe that far, God, your God, will still bless you: exchange your tithe for money and take the money to the place God, your God, has chosen to be worshiped. Use the money to buy anything you want: cattle, sheep, wine, or beer—anything that looks good to you. You and your family can then feast in the Presence of God, your God, and have a good time.
(The Message)

I know that some of you guys think the Message is a fairy tale, so here it is in the NIV:

23 Eat the tithe of your grain, new wine and olive oil, and the firstborn of your herds and flocks in the presence of the LORD your God at the place he will choose as a dwelling for his Name, so that you may learn to revere the LORD your God always. 24 But if that place is too distant and you have been blessed by the LORD your God and cannot carry your tithe (because the place where the LORD will choose to put his Name is so far away), 25 then exchange your tithe for silver, and take the silver with you and go to the place the LORD your God will choose. 26 Use the silver to buy whatever you like: cattle, sheep, wine or other fermented drink, or anything you wish. Then you and your household shall eat there in the presence of the LORD your God and rejoice.

Couple of other things:

1. We tend to be very gnostic/ascetic in our views about life in southeastern conservative pentecostal tradition. Anything that gratifies the flesh must be evil. Obviously, God thought that it was alright for people to enjoy good food and good drink, and have a good time ("rejoice" for you religious folk).

2. Drinking alcohol is not a "bad witness" in every culture. I talked to a friend in Austin, TX the other day, and he said that every church in the city he knows about (obviously not every church in the city though) serves alcohol at their events. There are other lands/cultures out there. You may read about them in books.

3. I love you guys, but it's another example of "adiaphora." Majoring on the minors. Spending lots of time on the inconsequential. It's okay to talk about these things in this company, I guess, but don't let this become thematic in your ministry.

4. In Romans 14 Paull told the strong to be sensitive, but also told the weak to mind their own business (v. 3,4). By the way, the strong in this chapter are those who have no problem with eating or drinking, and the "weak" are defined as the overly-religious and overly-sensitive. Needless to say, Paul identifies with the strong.

5. I've been away from Acts for a while, but it's college football season soon, and I'm hoping to catch Krista and natureboy's arguments.

Thank you guys for the opportunity to dialogue!

The only good race pace is suicide pace--and today looks like a good day to die.
-Steve Prefontaine

Last edited by Jason Moore on 8/15/11 12:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
Acts-celerater
8/10/11 11:31 pm

Post Mark317 Purplebarney
you wrote:

"Who is the one coming on here blasting the COG and throwing in our faces about drinking? You are beligerant and arrogant about your drinking alcohol. The method of which you post will draw criticism. You're looking to alcohol as your comfort and not the Holy Spirit. In my opinion."

I can assure you everyone on this board knows where I stand however I'll never try to rub someone's face into my personal beliefs. You won't hear me challenging one's salvation or one's walk with the Holy Spirit on here because they believe differently than I do. In fact, this thread was one of the best on this board because it didn't involve name calling or harsh personal attacks but that seemed to all change when you came on here questioning my walk with the Holy Spirit. Its ok to be passionate about your personal beliefs....I respect that.....just don't stoop to challenging someone's faith or walk because they believe differently. As for alcohol being my comfort? Not sure what you mean by that. Does it relax me? Absolutely! Do I boast because it relaxes me? Absolutely NOT! Do I turn to it for my comfort? Absolutely NOT! Do I walk in the Spirit? Daily!
Acts-celerater
8/11/11 12:07 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic