Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Maybe I'm Too Old Fashion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Randy Johnson
Travis Johnson wrote:
What are the other cultural Christian directives that have nothing to do with Scriptural authority?

What causes us to make cultural and behavioral declarations that trump Scripture and even assigning cause for such prohibition to Scripture?

Who is comfortable adding declarations to the Scriptures in light of Deuteronomy 4:1-2 and Revelation 22:18-19:

Quote:
 1 Now, Israel, hear the decrees and laws I am about to teach you. Follow them so that you may live and may go in and take possession of the land the LORD, the God of your ancestors, is giving you. 2 Do not add to what I command you and do not subtract from it, but keep the commands of the LORD your God that I give you. DEUTERONOMY 4:1-2

18 I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this scroll: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to that person the plagues described in this scroll. 19 And if anyone takes words away from this scroll of prophecy, God will take away from that person any share in the tree of life and in the Holy City, which are described in this scroll. REVELATION 22:18-19

Travis, this would make a good thread on its own merit, if we could get people to seriously participate.
Ickesburg, Pennsylvania
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
8/10/11 3:07 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
I think no matter what "given" means, it would be interesting if the Practical Commitments followed suit and said "Christians are not to be given to much wine." Wouldn't that be more Biblical? Acts-pert Poster
8/10/11 3:09 pm

Post thanks wallace C. Chris Moody
Thanks for the greek lesson Dr. Wallace. That is actually very good Belt Jerker
8/10/11 3:11 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
By the way, I don't drink alcohol at all, except for a dose of Nyquil very rarely. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
8/10/11 3:11 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
I'm thinking the translators are pretty much experts in biblical Greek. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
8/10/11 3:12 pm

Post Eddie KevinWallace
I see your point... But I think given our propensities to gravitate toward different opinions it would place us back in the precarious situation of making an interpretation of the texts.

By the way when I grow up I want to run beside you in a marathon or triathlon or something
8/10/11 3:13 pm

Post Re: well Mark Randy Johnson
KevinWallace wrote:
I'd say that about refutes the notion that it can't be found in the Bible. Of course we will await the proper exegesis of these texts.

Especially since Mark has already given us the eisegesis. Wink
Ickesburg, Pennsylvania
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
8/10/11 3:16 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt KevinWallace
Not me... many of those translations have editors and compilers that are from experts. In fact many of the translations you cited are paraphrases rather than word for word translation. And yes it does matter. But to be clear, I am not a greek expert. I just gave you the greek dictionary entry for the word "given".

Last edited by KevinWallace on 8/10/11 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Friendly Face
8/10/11 3:16 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
Just keeping the debate alive....as if it needed it. Smile

Let's run!! Sponsor a 5k or a 10k as a fundraiser and I'll come up.
Acts-pert Poster
8/10/11 3:17 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Even going with just the King Jimmy translation, anyone who is relatively acquainted with the English language knows what "given to" means. It means a strong tendency, a strong habit, an addiction. Such as, I am given to posting on Actcelerate. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
8/10/11 3:18 pm

Post Quite Wyatt KevinWallace
Ok we will agree to disagree.
8/10/11 3:21 pm

Post Re: well Mark MARK317
Randy Johnson wrote:
KevinWallace wrote:
I'd say that about refutes the notion that it can't be found in the Bible. Of course we will await the proper exegesis of these texts.

Especially since Mark has already given us the eisegesis. Wink

Blessings be upon you Randy. So I am not a scholar, but I believe the Bible is written to understand and it is not only made available to the so-called experts. It is not there only for the ones who understand Greek and Hebrew, or can break the Word down like some can. It is not exclusive to an elite group. I stand by what I have written.
Acts-celerater
8/10/11 3:36 pm

Post 1Corinthians 11:22 Bullseye77
1Co 11:20 When ye come together therefore into one place, this is not to eat the Lord's supper.
1Co 11:21 For in eating every one taketh before other his own supper: and one is hungry, and another is drunken.
1Co 11:22 What? have ye not houses to eat and to drink in? or despise ye the church of God, and shame them that have not? What shall I say to you? shall I praise you in this? I praise you not.

These verses of Scripture have been used to suggest that Paul endorsed drinking in one's own house. If that is true, he also endorsed gluttony. As a matter of fact, the passage has to do with the sacriligious celebration of the Lord's Supper, and the gluttonous conduct of the rich, who ate and drank and arrogantly insulted the poor among them who had nothing to eat. "Hungry poor meeting intoxicated rich, at what was supposed to be a supper of the Lord" (Robertson & Plummer) As a result of this conduct which was condemned by Paul, there came about a separation of the fellowship meal from the celebration of the Lord's Supper.
There is nothing in this passage to suggest that Paul condoned drinking or drunkenness. He certainly was not endorsing gluttony.
8/10/11 3:59 pm

Post Social Drinking Restorationman
I abstain from Social Drinking and I believe in IE as the first outward audiable evidence of the HS Baptism! I would like for someone to answer this question Do we really believe that Jesus turned the water in to 21 Century Modern Day Wine regarless of the fact the Percument process was completely different than what we have today and most Scholars will tell u it was after the water hit the grape it was basically less than one percent wine compared to the weakest cough syrup we have today! I think the context of that scripture is simple as Ephesians says powerprasing Don't be drunk with wine which is sin but rather be intoxicated by the Spirit! Also, there are several different Scholars that give two to three different Greek Words for the text and basically it translates Grape! However, this is my opinion and the conviction God has given me and I don't have enough time to state the practical and scriptual reasons in this post of why I dont drink! However, I have no desire to change but love people unconditional! Friendly Face
8/10/11 4:00 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
A question back at you: Was it possible to get drunk from the wine that Jesus created? If not, how was it different than the wine that they were not supposed to get drunk on? AND, if there is a difference, why didn't the Bible distinguish between the two so that it was clear to the reader? That sure would have been nice. Jesus turned the water into grape juice. Ahhh!!! Acts-pert Poster
8/10/11 4:07 pm

Post Phillip Johnson
Eddie Robbins wrote:
Jesus turned the water into grape juice. Ahhh!!!

That is what I had been taught for many years. I believed it too. Laughing
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
8/10/11 4:13 pm

Some Scholars say the word used there dealt with Taste and as in the Words of Dr. Ray H Hughes My Body is not a Tavern but aTemple! It's hard for me in my opinon to believe that Jesust wouold have broken the Law of Temperance and approved of a drunken party! Also, another thougt by some Thelogians is Powerprasing the Leviticus Scripture that says The life of the Flesh was in the Blood! However, if this wine was defiled by the percurement process the bacteria in it would have tainted his Blood and hindered the the remission of Sins! Therefore, some Scholars feel thats why the it was about taste because when they had well drunk and the joy of the taste could not be compared to anything of that day! Also, the COG teaches to abstain and to me thats the safest way for me because when I deal with a Acholic who could die and he or she gets delivered and why would I want to say now let go get a drink only in moderation! This is just my conviction and a Covenant I made with God and the Church! Friendly Face
8/10/11 4:19 pm

Eddie, I didnt say it wasn't fermented my observation was the pecurement process was very different than what we have today! Again, and opinion and balance and wisdom for me is to Abstain! Friendly Face
8/10/11 4:22 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
Ray Hughes also said - all the water you can pray over and turn into wine - have your fill of it. Twisted Evil
8/10/11 4:25 pm

Please excuse my Typos and accidentlly mispelled word lol Sorry Friendly Face
8/10/11 4:28 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic