Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Should Christian Women Dress Sexy?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Should Christian Women Dress Sexy? The strict Constructionis
In my opinion, a good looking woman is going to look fine if she dresses like old time COG or like Lady Ga Ga. I'm not writing this to debate outward holiness standards.

But I am concerned at the way I see some "sisters" dress and the photos they post on their Face Book pages. How can they have ANY sensitivity to the Holy Spirit and flaunt their bodies on the web?

Example one: I have a pastor friend in the AoG who was always very conservative in his dress and conduct, as was his wife. No, they weren't "old line", but she never wore a bathing suit on a crowded beach and he wouldn't take his shirt off if there were people around. Well, their daughter is in her early 20's and is a licensed AoG minister. On her FB page she just posted professionally done pics of herself that are SEXY.

In these pics she is wearing "Daisy Duke" type shorts and boots. They were taken in an out door setting, around fishing docks on a river, and on rail road tracks. She looks just like a Vogue model. Some of the pics are close ups of just her legs.

Where is the conviction? Why aren't her AoG pastoral parents embarrassed by this? What would her District Superintendent think if he saw one of his "licensed ministers" (male or female) posing in such a sensual manner? If I was her DS, she'd be in my office for counseling and admonishment.

This young lady has a serious christian boyfriend. Uh, if I was in my early 20's and saw my girlfriend dressed like that, I'd be finding a way to relieve some stress.

Example two: We know a "christian" lady who is in her early 40's. Recently, she lost allot of weight and is understandably proud of this fact. But since she lost this weight, she has been posting sensual pics of herself on her FB page. We're talking lots of cleavage among other things. The most recent pics were of her laying in a very sexual pose on a deserted rural road when no cars were around (yes, laying in the middle of a road!). Here's the kicker...her HUSBAND is the photographer.

On the same day she posted these pics, she also commented on her FB wall, "The anointing and worship were so powerful at church today!!"

Look, if a woman wants to make sexy photos of herself that only her husband will see, I say go for it! If a couple wants to make a sex tape of themselves, I say FINE! The marriage bed is undefiled.

But folks, something is terribly wrong! Are we so afraid of legalism that we won't even mention Biblical modesty anymore? The LEADERS are to blame!! If the word was being preached and TRUE discipleship was taking place, this kind of junk would not be happening!!

Sisters, are you causing your brothers to stumble? Have we forgotted the words of Jesus?

Quote:
27 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’[e] 28 But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart. 29 If your right eye causes you to stumble, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. 30 And if your right hand causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell. (Matthew 5: 27-30)

What about the words of Peter?
Quote:
11 Therefore, since all these things will be dissolved, what manner of persons ought you to be in holy conduct and godliness, 12 looking for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be dissolved, being on fire, and the elements will melt with fervent heat? 2 Peter 3:11-12)

Last edited by The strict Constructionis on 4/23/11 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
4/23/11 10:26 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
People seem to have have very little sense of modesty at all these days, even Christians.

People also seem to all too easily confuse the Holy Spirit with other spirits.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/23/11 10:58 am

Post The strict Constructionis
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
People seem to have have very little sense of modesty at all these days, even Christians.

People also seem to all too easily confuse the Holy Spirit with other spirits.

Amen brother. But are pastors even preaching it anymore? It's obvious that we need a fresh revelation of GOD'S holiness.
4/23/11 11:18 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
Though I believe the true spirit of Christian faith is the very opposite of legalism, I do believe, preach, and teach the biblically affirmed principle of modesty and moderation as a general guideline, and hope people will listen to the voice of the Holy Spirit teaching them. If He can't teach them what modesty is, I certainly can't either.

If anyone is in fact dressing immodestly, excluding of course genuinely accidental situations where their nakedness can't be helped, they are one of the following:

A. Simply ignorant, whether willingly or innocently, of God's word on the subject.

B. Willfully rebelling against the Spirit of Christ, defrauding their brethren by trying to entice or impress them with their physical beauty.

C. Or, in some cases my idea of modesty may not be precisely in line with God's idea.

What really amazes me is how virtually all the Miss America contestants claim to be Christians while parading around in next to nothing. Sure their bodies are pleasing to look at, but if that is what passes for modesty it is but one step away from sheer nudity.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/23/11 11:43 am

Post Modest dress is still a biblical directive Poimen
Things like this blow my mind, too. I am amazed at what many Christin people, and not new converts mind ya, will do and permit in the area of dress in their lives and family. As for dressing sensual, provocative, or unduly revealing, believers need to re-read the works of the flesh -- lasciviousness and wantonness in particular, along with things "such like".

And they need to couple with that the knowledge that if there behavior can reasonably stir up those such temptations or sins in the hearts and lives of others that they are in some degree complicit and responsible for that.

A link a friend shared a while back, and one I recently shared on FB, deals with the issue head on. I think everyone could be benefited by giving it a listen: What guys think about modesty.

Singing: "Let us then be true and faithful -- trusting, serving, everyday. Just one glimpse of Him in glory will the toils of life repay."
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
4/23/11 11:52 am

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post Re: Should Christian Women Dress Sexy? usefull
The strict Constructionis wrote:

This young lady has a serious christian boyfriend. Uh, if I was in my early 20's and saw my girlfriend dressed like that, I'd be finding a way to relieve some stress.

But folks, something is terribly wrong! Are we so afraid of legalism that we won't even mention Biblical modesty anymore? The LEADERS are to blame!! If the word was being preached and TRUE discipleship was taking place, this kind of junk would not be happening!!

Really?? Shocked Shocked

Who is making you look?? From what I understand about FB you can unfriend them. Why not do that? Oh, wait a minute, you're friends with their parents and husband...riiiight Wink Wink

It is easy to pass the buck and say it is the leaderships fault that makes you look at these women.

How about being accountable for your own actions. Sounds like to me you have a problem with looking. I'm not saying what these women are doing is right, but what you are doing is no better.

I agree we have gotten away from biblical modesty, but put the blame and the accountability at the doorstep of where it belongs. How do you know that their pastor is not preaching a Holiness standard. People do what they want to do and justify it, no matter how much it is preached about or what the Bible says.

Not attacking Bro, JMO
Friendly Face
4/23/11 12:14 pm

Post Travis Johnson
Guys need to be modest. So do gals. Too often though (in our tribe and others with fundamentalist leanings), our sense of modesty means that guys can dress however they like and women have to be homely. That's unfair and not a Biblical posture of modesty.

Also, the standard for modesty is cultural. From the midwest to a coastal town, modesty will be different. From the southeast to Africa, modest will be different.

So, first and foremost, we need to prayerfully work out what that looks like in our own families and live that out modeling how our faith works out from the inside out.

Then, we need to lead people into it remembering that it is not our jobs to call the unsaved to live as though they are. And, we need to take care to speak into people's lives in areas like these to the degree that we have relationship with them. Obviously, there is a place to deal with it from the pulpit. But, do it with care and compassion.

The point isn't to conform people into aesthetically acceptable people. The point is for people's hearts to be transformed so that everything else can work itself out from that solid foundation.
Acts-dicted
4/23/11 12:24 pm

Post Poimen
Travis Johnson wrote:
Guys need to be modest. So do gals. Too often though (in our tribe and others with fundamentalist leanings), our sense of modesty means that guys can dress however they like and women have to be homely. That's unfair and not a Biblical posture of modesty.

Absolutely. The principle of modesty applies equally to both sexes.

Quote:
Also, the standard for modesty is cultural. From the midwest to a coastal town, modesty will be different. From the southeast to Africa, modest will be different.

While I find that a truism in many ways, still I think biblical modesty is universal in scope. And while it may not result in the same style of clothing etc., it will result in the same heart and attitude which will largely result in the same basic standards regarding what is modest or immodest, what is too revealing or not, etc. For one, the human anatomy is basically the same, and at least the same parts and sections need properly covered in order to be modest.

Quote:
So, first and foremost, we need to prayerfully work out what that looks like in our own families and live that out modeling how our faith works out from the inside out.

Agreed.

Quote:
The point isn't to conform people into aesthetically acceptable people. The point is for people's hearts to be transformed so that everything else can work itself out from that solid foundation.

Well said.

Singing: "Let us then be true and faithful -- trusting, serving, everyday. Just one glimpse of Him in glory will the toils of life repay."
4/23/11 12:33 pm

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post Carolyn Smith
The short answer is no. But before the question can be answered, one must have a definition of modesty. And the desire to dress modestly must come from the heart.

As has been observed in another thread, people have gone from "you can't do anything" to "anything goes". The thing needed is balance and good common sense.

A good friend introduced me to the concept of dressing fashionably a few years ago. It is possible to dress fashionably and modestly but you must have the desire. It's almost impossible to find a dress or top that doesn't have a plunging neckline. You have to find some kind of shell or cami or something so that it doesn't show off everything you were born with. Maybe some Christian women can do that, but I can't...nor do I want to.

And as for the OP, how do you know that young minister's family isn't mortified by her pictures? If she's in her 20's, there's not much they can do about it.

I don't get it, either, but I am in the end, responsible for me, and for kindly sharing tips with others not as well versed in teachable moments as God might present them. Or maybe sharing wardrobe with them that is more modest. For some folks, that might be all they have to wear to church.
4/23/11 12:47 pm

Post @Useful The strict Constructionis
usefull wrote:

Really?? Shocked Shocked

Who is making you look?? From what I understand about FB you can unfriend them. Why not do that? Oh, wait a minute, you're friends with their parents and husband...riiiight Wink Wink

It is easy to pass the buck and say it is the leaderships fault that makes you look at these women.

How about being accountable for your own actions. Sounds like to me you have a problem with looking. I'm not saying what these women are doing is right, but what you are doing is no better.

I agree we have gotten away from biblical modesty, but put the blame and the accountability at the doorstep of where it belongs. How do you know that their pastor is not preaching a Holiness standard. People do what they want to do and justify it, no matter how much it is preached about or what the Bible says.

Not attacking Bro, JMO

I bet you are a woman. If you are a man saying such things, then I think you lack testosterone.

This is VERY typical. If someone brings up modesty or immodesty in the church, then THEY must have a problem. Did Peter have a problem? Did Paul? Did Jesus? Geesh.

I'll bet you are a women guilty of the very thing I've mentioned and you are trying to pass the buck. If you knew anything about the sex drive of a man, then you'd understand why I made that comment about a young man in his 20's. Why do you think Jesus, Peter, and Paul admonished women to be modest? It's because ALL men have a problem LOOKING. We are enticed by what we see. If you are causing your BROTHERS to stumble, then YOU will be accountable in the same way Paul said you'd be accountable if you caused someone to stumble by eating meat in front of them. It's one thing if a brother is sneaking to the beach to lust. It's another thing all together when brothers who are sincerely trying to live with pure hearts have flesh being shoved in their face at the church pic nic by so called "seasoned saints" and pastors CAN and SHOULD do something about that.

And for your self righteous information, I am a mature Christian man of 45 years of age. I came to Christ when I was 15 and remained a virgin until I got married at TWENTY NINE!! I, like any man, have had struggles in my thought life. But I'm not one you need to try to label with some "problem'.

Furthermore, did it ever occur to you that my WIFE was the one who discovered the pics and told me about them? Probably not.

I really think YOU should examine your heart and do a little research on the male sex drive. Then maybe the words of the Apostles and Christ will make sense to you and you won't mis-characterize those who preach them.

I'm not attacking you , either. But do consider this a reproof from an elder.
4/23/11 12:48 pm

Post diakoneo
Why would a woman wear a tight dress, with a slit up the back and try to show as much cleavage as possible (and sit on the front pew)?

Motivation is what I am talking about. Maybe they are unaware of what they are doing, but I think leadership does play a role in that.

BTW is there anything a man can wear and provoke lust? I am not talking about one or two women, but the majority. Men, though are all about visual...
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
4/23/11 12:54 pm

Post Re: @Useful Travis Johnson
usefull wrote:

Really?? Shocked Shocked

Not attacking Bro, JMO

I bet you are a woman. If you are a man saying such things, then I think you lack testosterone.

Actually, you insinuated that one person is responsible for another's sin. Not true. One certainly can tempt another. But, only you can sin for yourself.

If you want to avoid sin, avoid it. If you want to cause the whole world not to sin so you won't be tempted, you're Christian ideal is some sort of Taliban-like fundamentalist evangelical fantasy land.

Usefull is right. And, your presupposition that Usefull is a female and you occupy by default the role of elder correction officer is misplaced.

If you are so susceptible to temptation of this sort, I'd recommend not having a facebook account. If a FB profile account is going to cause you to have that response, I'd avoid the internet, period. It sounds like the way other people to dress is the least of worries.
Acts-dicted
4/23/11 12:57 pm

Post Travis Johnson
diakoneo wrote:
BTW is there anything a man can wear and provoke lust? I am not talking about one or two women, but the majority. Men, though are all about visual...

A little one sided don't you think?
Acts-dicted
4/23/11 12:58 pm

Post A question to all. The strict Constructionis
Please remember, the young ladty I mentioned in my first example is herself a LICENSED ASSEMBLIES OF GOD MINISTER.

Okay, let's add another scenario. What if a licensed MALE CoG minister, your youth pastor, with a fantastic sun tanned muscular body, greased himself up, put on a pair of spandex shorts, and posed shirtless so he could put the pics on his FB page?

Would you as his pastor say NOTHING to him? Would your State Overseer not be duty BOUND to admonish him in love?

Could not the same be said for this young lady I mentioned?

What we do in moderation, our members will do in excess. But I wouldn't call this situation "moderate" by a long shot.
4/23/11 1:00 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
Travis Johnson wrote:
diakoneo wrote:

Yes, men shouldn't wear Speedos in public. And yes, I've heard of this happening. (Thankful I didn't see it...not a visual I'd want!)
4/23/11 1:01 pm

Post diakoneo
Travis Johnson wrote:
diakoneo wrote:

I was trying to say that men and women are very different in what appeals to them. At least thats the way I see it. Are you saying we are alike in what is appealing?
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
4/23/11 1:02 pm

Post Re: @Useful The strict Constructionis
Travis Johnson wrote:
usefull wrote:

Really?? Shocked Shocked

Not attacking Bro, JMO

Actually, you insinuated that one person is responsible for another's sin. Not true. One certainly can tempt another. But, only you can sin for yourself.

If you want to avoid sin, avoid it. If you want to cause the whole world not to sin so you won't be tempted, you're Christian ideal is some sort of Taliban-like fundamentalist evangelical fantasy land.

Usefull is right. And, your presupposition that Usefull is a female and you occupy by default the role of elder correction officer is misplaced.

If you are so susceptible to temptation of this sort, I'd recommend not having a facebook account. If a FB profile account is going to cause you to have that response, I'd avoid the internet, period. It sounds like the way other people to dress is the least of worries.

Thanks for perpetuating the mis-representation. Why didn't you post the rest of what I said?

And I made it CLEAR in my original post that this was not a "old time holiness standards" issue. So your "fundamentalist fantasy land" comment is nothing more than a straw man argument.

It amazes me when people react the way you and useful have. Instead of commenting on what these "Christian women" did, you turn your guns on the one bringing the subject up. I must have struck a nerve.
Quote:

Actually, you insinuated that one person is responsible for another's sin.
No, I did not. I did, like the Apostles and Christ, say that we can be guilty of causing someone to be tempted.

Look, if you have no problem with your wife, daughters and sisters in Christ wearing bikinis at your CoG pool parties, then go for it. If you REALLY think God approves, then keep right on doing it.

But those pastors who allow such at church functions are NOT leaders. Hmm, maybe they enjoy the eye candy.

Last edited by The strict Constructionis on 4/23/11 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
4/23/11 1:04 pm

Post The strict Constructionis
diakoneo wrote:
Why would a woman wear a tight dress, with a slit up the back and try to show as much cleavage as possible (and sit on the front pew)?

Motivation is what I am talking about. Maybe they are unaware of what they are doing, but I think leadership does play a role in that.

According to some "leaders" on this thread, YOU are the one with the problem.
4/23/11 1:10 pm

Post Travis Johnson
diakoneo wrote:
Travis Johnson wrote:
diakoneo wrote:

I was trying to say that men and women are very different in what appeals to them. At least thats the way I see it. Are you saying we are alike in what is appealing?

Men and women are indeed different. But, women are visually stimulated as well. And, some more so than others.

At the same time, women are women. And, men will notice them no matter what...not that that's license for a girl to dress inappropriately. But, I promise, you won't solve the problem of sexual immorality by make women wear burqa's.
Acts-dicted
4/23/11 1:25 pm

Post Poimen
While Travis is technically correct, one is ultimately responsible for their own sins. He seems to be missing the spirit and point of the matter. Others are responsible for being temptations to sin.

Adam sinned for himself, but he didn't sin on his own. Eve offered the forbidden bite to him. Immodesty is the same sort of sin as that. Wink

4/23/11 1:27 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.