Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Dr. Gause: 'Restore" NOT revoke erring ministers
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Re: I agree with both.... Quiet Wyatt
W. Ray Williams wrote:
the problem we have in COG is that we so severely punish as a part of our discipline, and we do a poor job of restoration....we drive ministers from thier calling.

The end result is neither justice or mercy.....it should always be both, justice and mercy.

How do you see the process as "justice?"

And, how can one have both at the same time in dealing with such a sinful violation of personal trust and of the law of Christ?

Sincerely trying to understand this better, because I again I just don't see how it's about justice/penalty and mercy/forgiveness at all.

Thanks
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/19/11 3:18 pm

Post Must be both W. Ray Williams
It must be both:

Justice because their must be a punishment for the wrong actions of a minister. There must be a sense that a person is paying a penalty for their sin and failure.

Mercy must be present as it is a Biblical mandate for us broken and sinful creations. As we cannot perfectly balance Justice and Mercy like God can, I believe the Text is telling us to err on the side of mercy if we are to err. Mercy must guide us so that we do not become do harsh in our judgements and punishments.

Both must be present for restoration to truly be effective. Justice to remind the person of their sin, mercy to remind them of God's love.

Ray
Acts-celerater
4/20/11 3:05 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
It cannot be justice. There is absolutely no way one year out of the pulpit is a just penalty/punishment for adultery (or any other sin for that matter). God judges sin as worthy of damnation.

It likewise cannot be about mercy. It does not take a year to receive mercy/forgiveness for one's sins.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/20/11 3:15 pm

Post Restored to the ministry ... Mat
Being restored to the ministry and getting your position back are two different things. Most who are in the ministry were "licensed" long before they were entrusted with being a pastor or staff minister. Likewise to attain "higher" leadership levels took even longer. When one is faithful there is "double blessing", and one is not there is "double rebuke." To "honor" an unfaithful minister, even one who is "gifted" is to diminish the faithful minister. Faithfulness should be counted as an essential gift for leadership. To restore "fallen" ministers to both ministry and position without a new record of faithfulness is the path of "foolishness."

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
4/20/11 5:32 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
Quiet Wyatt wrote:

It can only be really about restoring spiritual stability and integrity.

Not sure its about restoring integrity.

A man committing adultery doesn't have any integrity to begin with imho - but perhaps we have a different opinion about it.

So, yeah, restoration is possible - but if it did not exist before - it really isn't restoration we are concerned with, is it?

Quote:
1 Tim 3:7 Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without

It can't be that any Christian that commits any sin does not have a good report - otherwise this requirement Paul stated to Timothy would just be a joke - because we all have sinned.

Thus, some have a good report to those on the outside.
Does a recent adulterer meet this criteria?
If not, how long should leaders monitor the man to see if he is "of good report" to those outside the body?

Would you argue that a year is too long or too short or just right?
4/20/11 5:37 pm

Post Sorry, I do not believe I..... W. Ray Williams
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
It cannot be justice. There is absolutely no way one year out of the pulpit is a just penalty/punishment for adultery (or any other sin for that matter). God judges sin as worthy of damnation.

It likewise cannot be about mercy. It does not take a year to receive mercy/forgiveness for one's sins.

Said anything about one year. could be shorter, probably longer. All sin is forgiveable, but trust must be restored and the repentance genuine. It takes some time for that to happen.

From you comments it seems that a minister who committs sexual sin should never be restored to ministry. I am not sure God would agree.

Ray

Last edited by W. Ray Williams on 4/21/11 6:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Acts-celerater
4/20/11 6:34 pm

Post Posting of the text W. Ray Williams
Folks,

Snce the document does have a copyright, I have asked Doyle for his advice. It is his site. If he thinks it is OK, we will find a way to post the entire text.

Ray
Acts-celerater
4/20/11 6:37 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Ray,

Why would you think I would believe a minister who commits sexual sin can never be restored? That is definitely not what I mean at all. I'm just saying a year, two years, six months, or whatever amount of time is not the penalty/punishment for sin, nor is it how long it takes for mercy to be granted.

NBF,

I don't know how long would be sufficient to restore a man's reputation, but that is a different question altogether. I honestly don't get where we come up with the one year out of the pulpit thing.

Some may never be fit for ministry again, depending on how they respond to the discipline of the LORD.

When I say integrity, I am referring to spiritual soundness/stability. I agree a minister who commits adultery has lost whatever integrity he may have had.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/20/11 7:01 pm

Post I see where you are coming from.... W. Ray Williams
OK, got it. But all sin has a death penalty. We can only impose justice and mercy in the temporal sense. we can only provide punishement and restoration in a earthly sense. We as humans can never do true justice or mercy.

we can only work with a minister and try and evaluate if thier repentance is sincere and thier spiritual growth and maturity is on track. There are several indicators that this is progressing, but we can never see into a person's heart.

Only God can bring true justice and mercy as hHis is perfect. Ours is always a dim reflection of the Creator.

Ray
Acts-celerater
4/21/11 6:23 am

Post Clint Wills
I have a feeling that the punishment will have more to do with their spouse and the interaction there than anything the COG can do. As far as reputation, I don't really worry about that as much. For one thing, if a COG minister fails every 9 days, and I know of 3 in my entire adult life, then there are MANY more that I have never heard of before. So, those men could come pastor my church and I'd never have a second thought about their reputation. Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
4/21/11 10:21 am

Post bonnie knox
Clint Wills wrote:
I have a feeling that the punishment will have more to do with their spouse and the interaction there than anything the COG can do. As far as reputation, I don't really worry about that as much. For one thing, if a COG minister fails every 9 days, and I know of 3 in my entire adult life, then there are MANY more that I have never heard of before. So, those men could come pastor my church and I'd never have a second thought about their reputation.

If he fails every 9 days, it doesn't sound like he's repenting.
Twisted Evil Razz Razz Razz Razz
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/21/11 10:47 am

Post Link
The Bible doesn't have a list of requirements for licensed ministers. That term doesn't show up in the Bible. The Bible does talk about appointing elders. Paul uses elders and bishop interchangeably in Titus 1, and refers to elders of the church in Ephesus as bishops in Acts 20:28. The word bishop is used for those who oversee the flock of God rather than for a denominational administrative position in the New Testament. That verse and I Peter 5 commands elders to pastor the flock of God.

Let us consider the requirements. I bolded a few of them.

I Timothy 3:
2A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
3Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;
4One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;
5(For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)
6Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil.

7Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.
Titus 1
5For this cause left I thee in Crete, that thou shouldest set in order the things that are wanting, and ordain elders in every city, as I had appointed thee:
6If any be blameless, the husband of one wife, having faithful children not accused of riot or unruly.
7For a bishop must be blameless, as the steward of God; not selfwilled, not soon angry, not given to wine, no striker, not given to filthy lucre;

I've heard 'husband of one wife' retranslated as 'one woman man.'

So, what should happen when a man no longer fits these requirements after he has been appointed? Is he grandfathered in? Or does he have to step down until he meets the requirements again.

If a man has been through an affair, will he ever meet the requirement to have a good reputation with them who are on the outside? If a divorce has come through his sexual immorality, and he is separated from his kids, does he rule his house well?

If a man has a gift of teaching, Romans 12 commands him to teach. But does the Bible command that a man has a 'right' to be an overseer in the church? I know a lot of people think if a man is gifted to teach or preach the word he is supposed to be 'a pastor' and go full-time. I don't see that idea in the Bible. If a man falls into adultery and repents, he should use his gifts. But does that mean he should be restored to a church government role? If his own family has fallen apart from his sin, should he be responsible for taking care of the household of God?

Are those who think men should not be returned to their roles of responsibility necessarily unmerciful? I don't think so. They may be acting out of mercy for the little lambs.

I also keep in mind that Peter was restored after his sin.

I am asking a lot of questions and not giving a lot of answers here. These are questions I wonder about when it comes to this issue.

I do see the wisdom of having men who have their houses and lives together leading in the church. I know we are all human beings, and none of us have arrived yet. What I don't see in these passages and others like them is where call overrides living up to the requirements.

Can a man fall from a role of oversight? These verses come to mind from Acts 1:

20For it is written in the book of Psalms, Let his habitation be desolate, and let no man dwell therein: and his bishoprick let another take.

25That he may take part of this ministry and apostleship, from which Judas by transgression fell, that he might go to his own place.

On the other hand, Peter denied the Lord, but he hung around long enough to get forgiven and restored by the Lord. The way Judas hung around was different.

Last edited by Link on 4/24/11 3:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Acts-perienced Poster
4/23/11 5:56 am

Post Re: I had the opportunity to read Dr Gause's paper Link
Tom Sterbens wrote:

Next: In an earlier post "Link" made reference to 1 Timothy 3 (by the way Link, you have a typo on the second scripture reference, it's Titus I believe). Biblical leadership has to do with observed character over a period of time. And it is worth noting that this character observation is done in the context of relationships that have nothing to do with earning your ministry badge - it's observed character in "life," —just life.

Example: One of the problems with hiring a staff member that comes from resume or beyond the circles of relationship is that the relationship is first based on the performance of the person while credibility and trust are being established. And the conspicuous issue at hand is that being pastor is inherently relational.

I certainly share your concerns. I also believe we need to get back toward the Biblical practice of elders for pastoral leadership being raised up and trained up primarily from within their own churches. if churches function as communities where people know each other, it is a lot easier to see if he lives up to the requirements than if he turns in a resume and preaches a really nice sermon. Lots of churches hire strangers. Strangers can be qualified or unqualified. How do you know if its a stranger? Preaching a good sermon doesn't prove someone is qualified. I guess in the COG someone appoints a man who is a stranger to the congregation. Either way, this is a lot different from the early church practice of appointing someone who was already well knit into the relationships of the congregation and had demonstrated his ability through leading his own family, and his ability to teach.

To that end I think the comparison with the "physician fitness" model breaks down. There is nothing more trusted than the role of shepherd, it carries not only the trust of people, but the trust of God as well.

I Timothy 5 comes to mind:
22Lay hands suddenly on no man, neither be partaker of other men's sins: keep thyself pure.
23Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities.
24Some men's sins are open beforehand, going before to judgment; and some men they follow after.
25Likewise also the good works of some are manifest beforehand; and they that are otherwise cannot be hid.

The one(s) appointing elders needs to be careful who he appoints lest he partake of the sins. Verse 23 goes onto a topic of personal purity regarding drinking wine. Verses 24 through 25 seem to be giving advice for Timothy as he searches and examines to determine if men are fit to be overseers.

It seems to me that some churches and denominations aren't as careful as the apostles used to be about appointing church leaders. Even the ones back then were going to turn out to be wolves (Acts 20.) If churches today are less careful, how must worse might it be?
4/24/11 3:17 am

Post Re: No intention to smack bi-vocational pastors... helping hand
[quote="Nature Boy Florida"]
W. Ray Williams wrote:
Why should one sin be punished more severely when more damage is probably done by the sins we do not procecute, financial malfeasence, dissentions, factions...Addiciton to prescription medications...alcohol use and abuse.

I'm afraid I will be forced to disagree here.

This sin is treated worse - because its damage IS worse.

Financial malfeasance doesn't split up the pastor's family, doesn't put a wedge between the pastor and his wife and kids - yet adultery does.

Not to mention it has also caused damage to another family - probably to a man that trusted that pastor explicitly with his wife and family - only to be shattered.

Sorry - the Bible describes every other sin as "outside the body" - maybe that body he is talking about is the one created when a man and wife are united in marriage - where they become one "body" - one flesh. Sexual sins are a sin "inside" that body - something that is much worse.[/quote

I must agree. What are you guys trying to sell? Anyone and everyone knows sexual sin is different than any other sin. God see's it differently and it effects the lives of others in more ways than any other sin. What's next? It's okay if the pastor is just a little Gay! Is that "just another sin" too?
I do believe God forgives all sin and can restore all things but it takes true repentance...it's easy to say I'm sorry.
5/2/11 5:11 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.