Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Why do people run in Pentecostal services?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post so they won't be confused to be Mark Ledbetter
baptist
Spirit-Led
(This is how I want to be)
Golf Cart Mafia Associate
3/5/11 12:16 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
Lord Chancellor wrote:
But, God doesn't zap your body and make you shake and run or jump or anything like that. It's a voluntary outward expression of the joy and happiness of what's going on inside.

Well said, LC!
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
3/5/11 12:23 pm

Post What a white Presbyterian "church runner" does V Rafael D Martinez
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lGOqEZq96I

Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth? Galatians 4:16

These are trying times. Everyone's trying something and getting caught. The Church Lady, 1987
Acts-dicted
3/5/11 12:26 pm

Post Link
There are a couple of versions of this. The one I saw a few times when I was a kid was where groups of people or the whole church would do a Jericho march around the church. This seemed to be a willfull expression, rather than something taking them over and making them do it. Kind of like dancing before the Lord in the modern Charismatic sense I guess.

I know some Pentecostals I've encountered think dancing on purpose is wrong, but if the Spirit comes on you and makes you do it, it is okay. But all the dancing I see in the Bible seems to be a willful expression of praise, rather than something people were compelled to do.
3/5/11 10:35 pm

Post Simplistic answer Tracy S Hamilton
People run because they choose to. They jerk because they choose to. Golf Cart Mafia Capo
3/5/11 10:39 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Some may jerk because they choose to. In my experience (and it doesn't happen too often), it feels like a mild electric shock/muscle twitch. It used to embarrass me and I would try to keep it from happening, but it was difficult at best to control it. It only happens to me when I have an especially strong sense of the moving of the Holy Spirit on me and in me. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
3/5/11 10:52 pm

Post church runners Truman Smith
Gene Rice has the best line I ever heard about those who run in church services , He says , "You can always tell an experienced runner , they always slow down at the corners ." Acts Enthusiast
3/6/11 9:03 am

Post Truman, that was stellar Rafael D Martinez
Truman Smith wrote:
Gene Rice has the best line I ever heard about those who run in church services , He says , "You can always tell an experienced runner , they always slow down at the corners ."

I'm going to have to watch for that today!

Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth? Galatians 4:16

These are trying times. Everyone's trying something and getting caught. The Church Lady, 1987
Acts-dicted
3/6/11 10:27 am

Post Why people run roughridercog
They think it makes the service go quicker? Laughing
3/6/11 11:04 am

Post Re: church runners Cojak
Truman Smith wrote:
Gene Rice has the best line I ever heard about those who run in church services , He says , "You can always tell an experienced runner , they always slow down at the corners ."

I like the comment up there by LC also:
Lord Chancellor wrote:
But, God doesn't zap your body and make you shake and run or jump or anything like that. It's a voluntary outward expression of the joy and happiness of what's going on inside.

Years ago in NC we had "Shouting Sam Jones". He Loved to dance.
As A kid I heard one of his fellow preachers ask him why he always quit when the music stopped. His answer: "You don't think the Holy Ghost knows the music has stopped?"
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
3/6/11 3:57 pm

Post bigchurchmouse
I too have wondered why someone stops dancing when the music stops if they are dancing in the Spirit. I have seen that many times at camp meeting in TN. I also wonder why in some congregations everyone jumps (or many do) when they worship and in another congregation many of the people run laps. People in another congregation will dance when they are happy or when the music is playing. I guess one or two people start the trend and others jump on board. I know one church now where six or eight people will run laps around the inside of the sanctuary every service during praise and worship. I don't remember anyone jumping during worship until the last few years. I guess that is just running in place. I think sometime it is a trend that happens for awhile and then someone starts a new trend. I wonder what folks will be doing 10 years from now if the Lord tarries. Golf Cart Mafia Capo
3/6/11 5:20 pm

Post helping hand
I have had such a good time reading everyones thoughts about expressions of worship and why. I really enjoyed the video, thanks Quiet Wyett. I just have one thought one the subject and that is this; there are probably as many outward expressions of the inward experiences of the Holy Spirit as there are different personalities. It is funny to watch normally quiet and reserverd people get all excited and expressive, lost in their worship to an audience of one.
The point is we are all different and although there are generalities in the way we express ourselves...some of us will probably never be runners just as some of us will never be soloists. I too would love to understand firsthand what it feels like to "run" in the Spirit". I've heard some pretty good explanations and learned alot . Thank you all. These are just my thoughts.
3/7/11 8:13 am

Post Re: And.......did you know.... mytimewillcome
Tom Sterbens wrote:
There is special designation on the State of Tennessee uniform traffic accident report for the cause of accident:

___ Loss of vehicular control due to ecstatic supraconscious Pentecostal spiritual state of being induced while listening to "Look What the Lord Has Done."

This is similar wording to another designation:

Loss of theological awareness due to ecstatic supraconscious Pentecostal spiritual state of being induced while listening to "I went to the enemy's camp"
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
3/7/11 9:21 am

Post kmann1
My guess is because it is controlled and manipulated from the pulpit. One example was the last night at the GA in Orlando. The minister spent the first part of his message telling everyone that things( charismatic) had to be different in the church, then spent the last part undoing his message. Finally he yelled out if someone didn't run he was going to have to. What happened after that was quite amusing. I guess God was pleased. Friendly Face
3/7/11 2:15 pm

Post Sitting? Lifer
I have never given any thought about people running during service. My big question is why do some people just sit there when the presence of the Lord is so strong it almost knocks you down? I don't expect everyone to get up and run, but I would like to see at least an expression on the faces of some who appear to be dead. Friendly Face
3/7/11 6:41 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
"According to your faith be it unto you," as Jesus said. If Satan could rebel and not yield to God in the very splendor of heaven, and if Adam and Eve could resist God's will for them and sin in a perfect world, and if some of Jesus' own hometown folks could refuse to believe and thus prevent Him from doing any mighty work there "because of their unbelief," it shouldn't really surprise us if some seem so adept at resisting an evident the move of the Spirit.

Obviously not every move is of God, and not everybody will respond in the same way, but if there is consistent lack of any response to the Spirit and the Word, well obviously something is very wrong.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
3/7/11 6:51 pm

Post 2ndgeneration
bigchurchmouse wrote:
I too have wondered why someone stops dancing when the music stops if they are dancing in the Spirit. I have seen that many times at camp meeting in TN. I also wonder why in some congregations everyone jumps (or many do) when they worship and in another congregation many of the people run laps. People in another congregation will dance when they are happy or when the music is playing. I guess one or two people start the trend and others jump on board. I know one church now where six or eight people will run laps around the inside of the sanctuary every service during praise and worship. I don't remember anyone jumping during worship until the last few years. I guess that is just running in place. I think sometime it is a trend that happens for awhile and then someone starts a new trend. I wonder what folks will be doing 10 years from now if the Lord tarries.

There use to be a pastor named Bob Snoderly who would dance in the aisles at campmeeting, General Assembly, or in the local church. When the music would stop he would stop dancing and go to his seat praising God. Someone asked him one day, "Bob, why do you stop dancing when the music stops?" He responded, "Do you think the Holy Ghost can't hear?"
Acts Enthusiast
3/7/11 8:10 pm

Post Re: And.......did you know.... Carolyn Smith
Tom Sterbens wrote:
There is special designation on the State of Tennessee uniform traffic accident report for the cause of accident:

___ Loss of vehicular control due to ecstatic supraconscious Pentecostal spiritual state of being induced while listening to "Look What the Lord Has Done."

Tom...you are not right! LOL
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
3/7/11 10:21 pm

Post A Scripture Comes To Mind doyle
"Write the vision and make it plain so they that read it may run..."

The above Scripture is probably out of context for this discussion since it probably has to do with the runners back then who would carry messages in times of battle.

People simply react differently during times of spontaneous, joyous worship. Running is a burst of enthusiasm as they seek to give an outward expression of an inward motivation.

I like that kind of worship.

Doyle
3/8/11 11:43 pm

Post I thought Scooter
I thought of this post in our district convention Sat. evening.

The minister shared a testimony of his healing from a muscular disorder.

As P/W leader he was barely able to hold the microphone on what would have been his last time leading. He came to a verse in a good old hym that said I heard about His healing. At that juncture God told him to run so he passed of the mic and began running. He was healed from MD. Cool

That's why he ran. I don't know about the rest of those pentecostals. Laughing
Acts Enthusiast
3/9/11 10:12 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic