Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Would you let some who drinks join your church?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Re: My call on the matter? macgulley
roughridercog wrote:
macgulley wrote:
roughridercog wrote:
I would not take them as members.

My understanding was that doctrinal commitments are tests of membership eligibility but practical commitments are not. Am I mistaken on that or does the pastor have the authority to add restrictions?

Does the Minutes specifically say the practical commitments are not tests of membership eligibility?

You have me there, I don't have documentation on membership requirements. Can you post them?
It seems logical to me that the only purpose for separating doctrinal commitments and practical commitments would be to separate what God actually requires (doctrine) from the well-intentioned recommendations of whoever happens to be leading the organization at a particular point in time.
2/28/11 4:27 pm

Post macgulley
krista wrote:

You have to really question a persons intelligence that makes this argument and just doesn't get it.
SINNERS used to make this same argument. Now we have "Christians" using it. Wake up man, get off the Nyquil already!

Wow, questioning intelligence and Christians in quotes.

"If you have the law, hammer the law. If you have the facts, hammer the facts. If you have neither the law nor the facts, hammer the table.” Jerome Michael, professor @ Columbia Law School
2/28/11 4:36 pm

Post krista
macgulley wrote:
krista wrote:

You have to really question a persons intelligence that makes this argument and just doesn't get it.
SINNERS used to make this same argument. Now we have "Christians" using it. Wake up man, get off the Nyquil already!

Wow, questioning intelligence and Christians in quotes.

"If you have the law, hammer the law. If you have the facts, hammer the facts. If you have neither the law nor the facts, hammer the table.” Jerome Michael, professor @ Columbia Law School

New guard
Golf Cart Mafia Capo
2/28/11 4:50 pm

Post Link
krista wrote:
steel wrote:
So let me get this straight for those that would take in members that drink alcohol, where do you draw the line?

For those that wouldn't take them in if they drink alcohol, then does that mean that if they take Nyquil or many of the cough and cold medicines out there you wouldn't take them in either? And before someone says that is not the same alcohol, Yes it is. In fact Nyquil has more alcohol in it than some alcoholic drinks.

For those that consider it a sin and they would go to hell. Would you take in gossipers, liers, people who are having abortions, rapists, murderers, people who commit gluttony, those who sow discord?

This is the same song just a different singer. You have to really question a persons intelligence that makes this argument and just doesn't get it.

I think you need to exercise some of your own intelligence and re-examine what steel is getting at.

Btw, if God let the Hebrews drink alcohol (except for special cases like Nazarenes), and if the apostles drank alcohol, and if Christ drank alcohol, and if the early church drank alcohol in their gatherings, how can it be labeled as a sin? Why would a church want to exclude membership.

Is Christ considered a member of the COG of Cleveland, TN.

Reminds me of a verse-- taste not, touch not.
2/28/11 5:00 pm

Post steel
krista wrote:
steel wrote:
So let me get this straight for those that would take in members that drink alcohol, where do you draw the line?

For those that wouldn't take them in if they drink alcohol, then does that mean that if they take Nyquil or many of the cough and cold medicines out there you wouldn't take them in either? And before someone says that is not the same alcohol, Yes it is. In fact Nyquil has more alcohol in it than some alcoholic drinks.

For those that consider it a sin and they would go to hell. Would you take in gossipers, liers, people who are having abortions, rapists, murderers, people who commit gluttony, those who sow discord?

This is the same song just a different singer. You have to really question a persons intelligence that makes this argument and just doesn't get it.

Get your head out of your rear and reread my post. In nowhere am I advocating or not advocating drinking alcohol. I have not made a stance in any direction I am asking where the line is drawn. I take it that you are one of the ones that believe drinking alcohol will send you to hell then answer me this, do you believe that the pilgims and puritans are in hell too. After all the Christians didn't speak against drinking until the late 18th or early 19 century. You say sinners used to make the same argument. Well when you reread my post after removing your head out of your rear you will see that I am not arguing anything but I am asking. But since you have said that sinners make this same argument do you have an answer for the sinners when they make this argument or do you just bad mouth them with your arrogant religous attitude?
Golf Cart Mafia Associate
2/28/11 5:31 pm

Post steel
Link wrote:
krista wrote:
steel wrote:

I think you need to exercise some of your own intelligence and re-examine what steel is getting at.

Btw, if God let the Hebrews drink alcohol (except for special cases like Nazarenes), and if the apostles drank alcohol, and if Christ drank alcohol, and if the early church drank alcohol in their gatherings, how can it be labeled as a sin? Why would a church want to exclude membership.

Thanks Link for interpreting correctly what I am getting at. We all know how much intelligence Krista has.
2/28/11 5:33 pm

Post krista
Link wrote:
krista wrote:
steel wrote:

When someone compares Nyquil to drinking alcoholic beverages.....I question their intelligence.

Last edited by krista on 2/28/11 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Golf Cart Mafia Capo
2/28/11 5:34 pm

Post krista
steel wrote:
krista wrote:
steel wrote:

Get your head out of your rear and reread my post. In nowhere am I advocating or not advocating drinking alcohol. I have not made a stance in any direction I am asking where the line is drawn. I take it that you are one of the ones that believe drinking alcohol will send you to hell then answer me this, do you believe that the pilgims and puritans are in hell too. After all the Christians didn't speak against drinking until the late 18th or early 19 century. You say sinners used to make the same argument. Well when you reread my post after removing your head out of your rear you will see that I am not arguing anything but I am asking. But since you have said that sinners make this same argument do you have an answer for the sinners when they make this argument or do you just bad mouth them with your arrogant religous attitude?

When you say something stupid like comparing Nyquil to drinking alcohol....you have to question how smart they are.

Last edited by krista on 2/28/11 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Golf Cart Mafia Capo
2/28/11 5:35 pm

Post steel
krista wrote:
steel wrote:
krista wrote:
steel wrote:

New guard

Boo Hoo you have hurt my feelings. Now what am I going to do? By the way I see your head is still in the same place because of the cr-p that is coming out.
2/28/11 5:36 pm

Post krista
steel wrote:
krista wrote:
steel wrote:
krista wrote:
steel wrote:

New guard

Boo Hoo you have hurt my feelings. Now what am I going to do? By the way I see your head is still in the same place because of the cr-p that is coming out.

I think I did offend you. Too bad. I didn't think you were smart enough to get it.
Golf Cart Mafia Capo
2/28/11 5:39 pm

Post steel
Krista the day you offend me with your self righteous attitude is the day that I die. Golf Cart Mafia Associate
2/28/11 5:41 pm

Post krista
steel wrote:
Krista the day you offend me with your self righteous attitude is the day that I die.

Kind of sounds like I did though. You kind of lost there for a while.
Actually I'm just jerking your chain steel. Relax man. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Golf Cart Mafia Capo
2/28/11 5:43 pm

Post steel
Krista you never answered my questions. Golf Cart Mafia Associate
2/28/11 5:45 pm

Post Link
krista wrote:
steel wrote:
Krista the day you offend me with your self righteous attitude is the day that I die.

Kind of sounds like I did though. You kind of lost there for a while.
Actually I'm just jerking your chain steel. Relax man. Laughing Laughing Laughing

There is teasing done in fun and there is being rude and insulting.

Let's play nice.
2/28/11 6:10 pm

Post steel
I'm still waiting for an answer. Golf Cart Mafia Associate
2/28/11 8:34 pm

Post krista
steel wrote:
I'm still waiting for an answer.

What's the question? The one about the Pilgrims going to hell?
I never said (I don't think) anyone would go to hell. Beside that, it's hard to grasp hold of your jibberish drivel.
Golf Cart Mafia Capo
2/28/11 8:41 pm

Post steel
My first post I posed several questions. If you think my post is jibberish then maybe you need to finish first grade. Golf Cart Mafia Associate
2/28/11 8:46 pm

Post krista
steel wrote:
My first post I posed several questions. If you think my post is jibberish then maybe you need to finish first grade.

How in the world do I know about the the Pilgrims? You also put words in my mouth about the "Hell" thing. People are counting on people like you steel who teach the word of God. If you lead them the wrong way, you may be the one who has to give an account. I believe it is irresponcible to teach even moderation of alcohol being that it leads to so many destructive consequences. Pracitical commitments aside for a moment, it is insane to do so. With as much knowlege we have about even moderate consumption we lie and do not tell the truth when we advocate it's use.
I also believe it is absolutley comparing apples to oranges when you post Nyquil likened to alcohol. It is not the same thing. You know....everyone knows it is NOT the same and to teach so is moronic and insane to do so. It insult me and others who have seen the destructive forces of alcohol to make that comparison.
Golf Cart Mafia Capo
2/28/11 8:57 pm

Post krista
Lord Chancellor wrote:
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
Eddie Robbins wrote:
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
Krista is right.

Grouping caffeine and Budweiser is idiotic.

There are many people in jail for downing a 12 pack and plowing into a family of four. There are none in jail for downing too many Starbucks.

Even the govt sees a difference - but some posters on here can't.

Very sad.

That has NOTHING to do with ANYTHING. The Practical Commitments of the Church of God is not based on what send you to jail. Abortion is legal. Smoking is legal. Alcohol is legal. Gambling is legal...in some places. This list is LONG. It is AGAINST the Practical Commitments to partake of habit forming substances. PERIOD. Caffeine is a habit forming substance. Many people are addicted to it.

The point is, you can't enforce ONE commitment and ignore the others....although we do. The point is not what sends you to jail. The commitments are not based on what he government says is legal. Why not live by ALL of the commitments and not pick and choose your favorites?

We disagree.

Doesn't matter whether you agree or not.

As does your opinion not matter. Oh!....wait an minute. I guess it does matter. You teach and preach to others............sad!
Golf Cart Mafia Capo
2/28/11 9:35 pm

Post steel
So in other words you will get on here and use your arrogant religious and spew venom out of your mouth and can't even answer one simple question. Comparing apples to oranges? When doctors tell a person to drink wine or beer for health reasons and people take Nyquil for health reasons it's not the same thing? When there is more alcohol in Nyquil than in some alcoholic drinks its not the same thing? You have accused me of using the same argument sinners use then I guess it is a good thing I have asked that because you need have an answer for them because I will tell you this. If you answer them like you answer a lot of people on here you will have people asking you, "And your suppose to be a Christian?"

How are you suppose to know about the pilgrims? Are you sure you went to school? It is history.

I have never come on here and advocated drinking alcohol. All I have done is come on this thread and asked three simple questions. Each question was asked to individuals that either agreed with alcohol or didn't. All you have to do is pick which question pertains to you and answer it. But all you have done on here is attacked individuals that did not agree with you. You do not give an answer but all you do is attack.

You want to talk about irresponsible. It is irresponsible on your part to talk about God's love then attack people that don't agree with you. It is irresponsible on your part to have such a self righteous attitude and then call other people out for not letting their light shine.
2/28/11 9:38 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic