Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

FL COG Office couldn't make payroll?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Response To John Morgan CentFLPstr
Your post made it sound like nothing had ever happened about the JDS condo and was purely a made up story by gossips. I wish you would post all the information you know about the condo loan and the investigation.

I never heard how much the Smith family had donated but I had heard that the fund was controlled by Jim Lee and Jimmy D. Smith. I was told by one of your state officials at the time that Donnie Smith learned of the loan by Lee and Jimmy D. Smith to JDS shortly after arriving in Tampa. I was told the amount was around $140,000. I saw that another poster said the exact amount was $174,000. The exact amount is not that important.

Is it not true that JDS did not pay the fund back until he was confronted? Is it not true that Brother Lowery actually came to Florida to get Jimmy off the hook?

It sounds to me like JDS got away with it by blaming it on Jim Lee who was the one who approved it. That is a lame excuse though because JDS was the Overseer, the highest authority in Florida at the time, and he knew he was not entitled to borrow that money without council approval.

By the way, do you know whether or not JDS ever paid any interest on the money he borrowed? A former state official from that time claims he only paid back the actual principal but none of the interest that accrued while he was using the money.

Now about the $36,000 lost in the ponzi scheme. It happened, you know it happened and it only happened because JDS was the patsy in a stupid get rich scheme. This kind of thing only works when someone is stupid and greedy at the same time.

Several of our churches followed the lead of their overseer and also invested their money in this folly and lost scores of thousands of dollars.

If the State Council as JDS claims did indeed vote to do this, then everyone of them who voted for it should identify themselves and never be elected again. Men are elected to make decisions that further the work of God. This was not like some legal investment that did not do well. It was a con game that involved several of our Florida preachers making money by enlisting investors. Did you check to see if Robin Tripp and JDS received a commission for the investments they brought into the scheme?

This whole thread which was not started by me was about Florida being broke. I don't know that it is broke and I had not heard about them borrowing money from a local church. I also have nothing personal against Martin Taylor. But I do know about the abuses by JDS who treated the state funds like a cash cow.

If it is true that the council gave Martin Taylor a $50,000 car before he left while knowing our financial condition, that is wrong on 2 levels.

1. Bad business on the part of the council to give away money that doesn't belong to you at a time when you need to borrow to pay bills.

2. Wrong and greedy on the part of Martin Taylor for accepting such a gift in a time of financial lack.

Now that you have entered into the discussion, it would be a great thing for you add a little more light than you did in your post. Light is good. As a councilman let Florida know the whole truth. I know and like you and am sure you were not trying cover up anything but just trying to put JDS and JMT in the best light possible. There are too many people who know the real story to let just part of the story stand.
Friendly Face
9/25/10 6:24 am

Post FellowSoldier
OK everybody take a deep breath and calm down... Give Bro Morgan a break... After all, if someone took you to a broadway show you might be willing to help "sweep it under the rug" too.

Hopefully the ministers of Florida will read this post before voting for State Council and clean out the broom closet!
9/25/10 7:23 am

Post Hold On, John Morgan Is An Honorable Man CentFLPstr
I don't believe he is trying to sweep anything under the rug. There are things that happened that he may not know about. Friendly Face
9/25/10 8:00 am

Post More Comes Out On The Condo Purchase Alan Wagoner
It is not as a Florida Councilman has reported here. His post made it sound as if there was never a condo purchased by JDS with State funds. He claimed that it had been investigated and there was nothing to the rumor.

This is not the case however. There was a condo purchased and it was purchased with funds belonging to the COG in Florida.

Here are the facts as told to me by another council member.

1. The family of Wilmon Smith donated nearly a half million dollars to the COG in Florida to be used for starting new churches.

2. The CPA, Jim Lee, deposited that money in account that wasn't controlled by the Overseer or State Council.

3. The CPA took it upon himself to make several loans out of that fund without the knowledge of the Overseer or Council.

4. The CPA advised Jimmy Smith that he could loan him the money for the condo out of that fund.

5. Jimmy Smith accepted the loan without divulging the information to the State Council.

6. When Donnie Smith was appointed as Overseer someone asked him about the Wilmon Smith money.

7. Donnie Smith had not ever heard about it and there were no records in the State Office about that fund.

8. Donnie Smith launched an investigation and discovered that Jim Lee had the money in an account the Council knew nothing about.

9. In the investigation, Donnie Smith discovered that the former Overseer, JDS, had indeed borrowed $174,000 from that fund and had purchased a condo.

10. The Executive Committee of the COG was notified and they required JDS to get a loan from a bank in Cleveland and repay the loan.

11. T. L. Lowery came to Tampa and met the Council to let them know that the Executive Committee takes the charges seriously.

12. Jimmy Smith, pleaded ignorance and put the blame on the CPA.

13. The investigation never determined if the proper interest was ever paid on the various loans made by the CPA because the records were sketchy at best.

14. The Executive Committee said the evidence did not rise to any criminal conduct by Jimmy Smith so no further action was necessary.
Friendly Face
9/26/10 7:58 am

Post More State Council need to come forward GuideOne
Voting time is coming soon for a new state council in Florida.

Business as usual is going to change. The recent post by a member of the current council member revealed a tongue in cheek reponse. The post was imcomplete and incorrect.
Friendly Face
9/28/10 4:51 am

Post Information Needed Before Vote Nuffsed
It would be helpful to know the Florida Council members who voted for the gift of a $50,000 car for the last Overseer as they were borrowing money to meet the payroll.

At least I would like to know the ones who voted "no". They would be the ones that would get my vote.
Friendly Face
9/28/10 10:15 am

Post Re: More Comes Out On The Condo Purchase FellowSoldier
Alan Wagoner wrote:

1. The family of Wilmon Smith donated nearly a half million dollars to the COG in Florida to be used for starting new churches.

It just occured to me that we could be jumping to conclusions here, and maybe JDS was going to start a new church in the condo (yeah that's it). A very creative church plant idea ;>)
9/28/10 2:10 pm

Post this is wild! iknownothing
Jimmy Smith hasn't been the AB of FL for at least 6 years! Fl should have recovered his $200 thousand dollar mistake. I'm amazed that you all are still harping on him! Marty Taylor was on his way out of overseer work and DID NOT CARE about FL!
He spent every nickle he could find and gave over 2 million to one church! Big trips, eating high on the hog, handing out $ like a Jehovas Witness knocking on doors, poor management, horrible or should I say no leadership, multiple luxury automobiles, and keeping the Council in the dark has brought Fl to this place. Laity and ministers are fed up! Now Marty's on the Council of 18! Unbelieveable!
Friendly Face
9/28/10 4:29 pm

Post FellowSoldier
You FL boys might need to think about another Council. One that will pay attention and demand answers when needed.
9/28/10 4:59 pm

Post Florida Should Give The New AB Support Nuffsed
I know Brother Stephens to be a man of great integrity and ability. If Florida will give him a council that has good sense he will work through the financial mess he inherited.

The answer to Florida's financial crisis is to restore confidence in leadership.
Friendly Face
9/29/10 6:59 am

Post iknownothing aprilmay
i hate to say it, but im with you on this. i think the majority of acts users are afraid their identity will be discovered. so- if they bad mouth Jimmy its not a big deal because his job ends in 2 years, but if they make enemies with taylor and then they are discovered it could be bad because taylor is on the CO18 and has lots of good ole boy buddies.

(that may be the longest run on sentence ever. sorry)
Acts Enthusiast
9/29/10 9:04 am

Post Afraid? GuideOne
Why would anyone be afraid?.....You are dealing with 2 goofballs. One from South Georgia and the other from Mississippi.

I do not understand this fear of people who are mismanaging money. A lawyer would love to have this case. I am surprised that the State Attorney has not been notified.

Afraid....not for one minute.
Friendly Face
9/29/10 12:17 pm

Post Who's Afraid Of The Big Bad Wolf? GuideOne Is Nuffsed
I'd say that aprilmay is not since he/she is not a pastor in Florida. On the other hand I would say that GuideOne would be in a great deal of trouble if the Executive Committee or members of the Ex Council knew his identity. That's why he is afraid to post in his own name. Friendly Face
9/29/10 3:11 pm

Post Afraid? GuideOne
This thread is not about me. This thread is about state overseers and a state council who love to waste money on frivolous schemes, high dollar cars, unnecessary trips, and obviously no accountability to anybody.

Nuffsed, you have the wrong guy.
Friendly Face
9/29/10 7:44 pm

Post Who Is On the Florida Council Nuffsed
I went to the Florida COG website but it does not list the names of the State Council. I wish someone would post their names so we will know which ones not to vote for next time.

In the light of all the shenanigans an waste over the last few administrations I would say it is time for a whole new slate.
Friendly Face
9/30/10 4:49 pm

Post Re: Who Is On the Florida Council FellowSoldier
Nuffsed wrote:
I went to the Florida COG website but it does not list the names of the State Council. I wish someone would post their names so we will know which ones not to vote for next time.

Hey nuffsed, if you were on the State Council would you want your named posted after all this? I sure wouldn't!!

Anybody that went to NY on the State dole should just resign, and if not, the FL ministers need to take care of business.
9/30/10 10:20 pm

Post if you're going to blame someone aprilmay
then you have to blame everyone who was involved. JDS and the council for NY trip I understand.
but Taylor shouldn't take all the blame for clairmont
what about:
1. chris detrush for accepting it
2. the council for agreeing
3. Rod trustee for getting the church in debt to begin with
4. whoever was on state council at the time that approved claimants debt
5. the executive committee member that signed off on the building

and I'm sure there's others but that's a start
Acts Enthusiast
10/1/10 7:48 am

Post Someone In The Know, Please Tell The True Story Clyde Walker
I am in the dark about what has happened at Clermont. If there is a State Councilman who knows what has happened there, please tell us.

Why did Pastor Trusty (sp) leave there when it seemed to be going so well?

Where did the present pastor come from?

Has the State Office been making their payments for them? If so, how much of FL's money has been spent there?

Is the present pastor receiving a salary greater than suggested by The Minutes?

Has there been a great drop in attendance?

Is there any light at the end of the tunnel?

How many Florida churches are having their payments made by the State Office?
Friendly Face
10/1/10 11:53 am

Post time to move forward iknownothing
I never imagined this post would have grown into this. I was asking/stating the truth about the $ situation in FL! As I read this over and over I realize that, as Floridians are concerned, we must forgive JDS, and Marty Taylor, and move forward. Wallowing in this bitterness will only dig a bigger hole in our hearts. Let's just make sure that we make better decisions in the present and in the future!

J. David Stephens deserves a fresh start as the Overseer and so do the people of FL!
Moving forward from here on out!
Friendly Face
10/1/10 4:43 pm

Post What Was The Purpose Of This Thread? Clyde Walker
iknownothing started this thread with the following statement.

Quote:
FL couldn't make payroll for the state office staff recently. Its strange how FL gave (a certain church) over a million dollars not to long ago to keep them floating and J David was handed a mess by Marty Taylor.

Sounds to me like iknownothing was opening a can of worms about the sleazy business dealings by former overseers.
Friendly Face
10/1/10 5:30 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic