Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

FL COG Office couldn't make payroll?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Re: I thought bonnie knox
Phil Hoover wrote:
we were deleting this...

Laughing Laughing nice bump, Phil
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
12/5/10 4:05 pm

Post Ernie Long
With over 24,000 views, I believe we can make this post a tradition Acts Enthusiast
12/5/10 4:43 pm

Post Cojak
I was just getting tired of reading Ernie's entry!! so... Razz
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
12/19/10 6:49 pm

Post res0515
now that is funny.... ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL
12/20/10 12:35 am

Post It is true that Wimauma Campground is broken David Jenkins
My feeling is that it can be fixed. Through an aggressive program of developing its use by other groups! And by redefining what camp meeting should be. It should be focused on todays needs and standards. Friendly Face
12/20/10 10:01 am

Post Wimauma needs to be sold GuideOne
It is an upside down piece of property. It is not worth what we have invested.

It is time to cut our loss and get out of that place. I would not want to send my kid to camp there for a week.

It is a new day. If the new overseer thinks he can revive it then he is lost in time. Wimauma needs to go.
Friendly Face
12/21/10 12:58 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
We disagree GuideOne.

Campground should house all state offices - no reason why it shouldn't.

Eliminate positions that can no longer be maintained.

Keep 1 State Overseeer
1 Youth Director
and remaining staff only if funds allow.

Problem solved.
12/22/10 11:46 am

Post State Overseers and Staff will never move to Wimauma GuideOne
The new State Overseer may get caught up in this scenerio. I personally
would never move to Wimauma. Why would you want to move 1 hour away from the Tampa Airport?

Pastors and layman do not like Wimauma. The attendance for campmeeting will prove this to be true. If I were on the Executive Committee, I would never approve this option.

I know that there are pastors and Layman that will not make the drive.

Its like going back 25 years in time. Maybe 35 years in time.
Friendly Face
12/22/10 5:09 pm

Post Re: State Overseers and Staff will never move to Wimauma Nature Boy Florida
GuideOne wrote:
Why would you want to move 1 hour away from the Tampa Airport?

Why is this an overriding concern? It's one hour everywhere you go in Florida. If you are close to the airport - you are one hour away from something else.

Of bigger concern - why wouldn't someone want to save money - especially if they are trying to be good stewards of God's money?

Sure wouldn't want to inconvenience a person for an hour to keep from having to borrow money to pay salaries or close and sell churches to pay to rent some office space. That would be asking too much of a servant of God. Jesus sure wouldn't inconvenience Himself for others, would he?
12/22/10 6:03 pm

Post Brandon Bowers
Let's be honest here...

The Wimauma campground is ugly.. It's in a run down area, and it's not attractive to bring anyone to. It's surrounded by sketchy houses, which makes you assume the residents are sketchy too (not that that's true, but I'm being real here).

They won't be able to sell the campground because of this.. Who in the world would buy it?? Therefore the better option is what NBF said..

I grew up going to camps and events at the VA state campground.. Even though it's right off the interstate, the facilities are nice. It's on the side of a mountain, and surrounded by woods.. It has a campground feel. Wimauma has a ghetto feel to it, and if I still lived in Florida, I'm not sure I'd be comfortable sending my kids to camp there. Aside from the inside of the "convention center", I was disappointed with it the several times I was there.

If the FL COG was able to unload this property, it would probably be at a huge loss, but that might be ok... Who knows.
12/22/10 8:00 pm

Post Travis Johnson
Brandon,

Look a couple miles north on 301 to see what's coming...massive development. And, it's already there butting up against the Campground (new Wal Mart and other development). Vision and execution are the issue here. A long-term focus is what will get it done. If we're looking through the lense of a short term window, it's hard to expect this kind of thing to be developed well.

Anyway, substantial opportunities are on tap now. The low hanging fruit are:

-dump the state office and the money pit it has become since we decided to borrow against it to fund the real money pit (the State Office generated expenses over the past decade dating back to the creation of the State Mandated Insurance Program).

-Move the State Office to the Campground. State Overseers need to be spending more time leading Florida anyway. If a 1 hour drive to the airport encourages that, let's get it on.

-Develop out the RV Park and extend it to the lakefront.

-Market the campground to other youth camps and retreats.

-Stop charging off bad expenses to the campground. The campground has been scapegoated long enough. If the campground is truly a financial albatross, we ought to know through straight-forward accounting practices. Borrowing against state properties to fund state spending and then blaming the campground as the culprit isn't an honest practice, etc...
Acts-dicted
12/22/10 9:13 pm

Post Brandon Bowers
I know Travis.. When I was still in FL, I lived in Riverview, about a mile from that Walmart.. I also know that development was stalling in Riverview for the 3 years I was there.. Not sure how it is now..

If they can hold out long term and make the changes you're suggesting, then it could turn out well.. But they need to make some very strategic improvements to the campground to attract people. I think the RV park is a great idea. If they can do some competitive pricing, they could actually get people to rent the Convention Center too... But somehow, they have to get it on the collective radar. Anyone holding a convention is usually going to Orlando, or staying near the airport in Tampa.

And just as we all thought this thread was dead...
12/23/10 8:04 am

Post Watch it buddy! Jamie Noel
Brandon Bowers wrote:
Let's be honest here...

The Wimauma campground is ugly.. It's in a run down area, and it's not attractive to bring anyone to. It's surrounded by sketchy houses, which makes you assume the residents are sketchy too (not that that's true, but I'm being real here).

My parents are living on that campground. How dare you call them "sketchy?" Shady, maybe....but not sketchy.
12/23/10 9:56 am

Post Brandon.... res0515
The WalMart is not the one in Riverview. There is a new super wallyworld less than 2 miles from the campground.
12/23/10 5:32 pm

Post Ornery Dan Eason
Bumping out of pure ornery-ness. Cool
4/27/11 7:11 pm

Post ....consequences and repercussions Ed Brewer
I don't have a dog in this particular hunt, but maybe a little perspective (if anyone is still looking at this behemoth of a thread). I was privileged to serve on the regional steering committee for the South Carolina Church of God Youth Camp for the Pee Dee Region of our state a number of years ago (better part of two decades ago). At that time, some of the same arguments were being made that we needed to close the Eastern Campground because it was so rural, in need of repair & upgrade, and not 'cost-effective'. We were just recovering from our own self-insurance fallout, and were in a real mess financially. We chose the route of improving the facilities and began a program of investment. Now the Eastern Campground is not only a viable entity, it is regularly leased to other groups for camping, crusades, conferences, and other various uses, and it is one of the nicest dedicated facilities in the Church of God. In those days we had to STRETCH the law to house 192 campers and staff for youth camp, but now by God's grace we can reach nearly 300 each week if necessary. The regional Camp Meeting in early October gives the eastern portion of our state a chance to connect with the largely Upstate-centered leadership in an incalculably important way. All that being said, the choice to be faithful to the vision delivered to our fathers proved to be a decision of profound importance in bringing SC to the place of leadership we are blessed to occupy today.

Anyone interested in knowing who the visionary was that pushed the ball in that direction? A State Director of Youth and Christian Education with a keen eye to what we should do instead of what we needed to do.... J. David Stephens. In fact, the Pee Dee Camp Meeting was the first introduction to the SC ministry family of a young leader that would leave his own mark on this state and the whole of the Church of God .... M. Thomas Propes. If you can work it out, don't throw the old girl out - clean 'er up a bit and help 'er become what she started out to be.

Blessings from the Palmetto State!!
6/17/11 5:27 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic