Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Does AB have authority to close existing, active churches?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post sheepdogandy
That's just sad. Rolling Eyes

www.spwc.church
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
10/8/09 8:23 pm

Post bigd1974
sheepdogandy wrote:
It's not supposed to. Rolling Eyes

I have been told that a COG congregation that is either starting up or if an independent church is coming into the COG that they have up to 5 years before turning over the deed of the property. If at that time the local congregation is still not wanting to turn over the deed, that they can have another five years before turning over the deed. I am sure with a lot of states/territories having AB's change over that kind of a period of time that a church can keep their deed inevitably. One reason for the length of time is that the COG is trying to increase the number of churches in the denomination and are doing whatever they can to do so. IMHO, for the COG to survive, they are going to have to eventually go to more of a congregational form of government.
Acts-celerater
10/9/09 12:23 pm

Post bigd1974
In 2007, my wife and I planted a small work in our hometown. We started with 15-20 people and rented a small storefront. The state was helping by paying 1/2 of the rent, but that was all. After almost a year, we had no growth, and actually lost a couple of families. I called the AB and told him I thought we needed to close the mission. He wanted us to stay open a little longer if we could. I took no salary, and we had managed to save about 5,000 back from being very frugal with the church funds. When we lost another family, I called the AB and told him I was either going to resign and he could find someone else to pastor, or we could agree to close the mission and the state could have all the funds that we had in reserve. He agreed, and we closed the mission, after being blackballed behind my back from the AB. Blackballed for being responsible as opposed to running the church and the state in debt for keeping something open that wasn't working.

I have kept my papers with the COG, but seriously am thinking of turning them in as I am really put out with the organization.
Acts-celerater
10/9/09 12:28 pm

Post Dear Clint Wills Hillbilly
I do not live in the Pacific Northwest. I once did. I have lots of family and friends that live there. Leavenworth church had its up and downs but what church doesn't. I know a pastor who ask to go there to help the church and make sure the doors was not closed. He was told, "NO"

Dr. James E. C. wanted that church closed and wanted the money the church would bring. The little church set right beside a golf course. The property was worth $Big Bucks$. The $14,000.00 they had in the bank was nothing. They never ask for any money, they always gave to the Church of God. They helped us to get to where we are today. They helped you Mr. Wills.

Mr.Wills you may have only heard one side of the story, that of your AB at the time. When one of the members children died they had NO Church to have the funeral. NO Home church. NO Local Pastor to preach his funeral. Dr. James E. and his biker friends, rode into town just before sunset, and closed the little old church. Those who had paid for everything was out in the cold!

This is both sides of the story. If I did not know, I would never post anything about it.

I know both sides of the story. But Not just that of the former AB.
Friendly Face
10/9/09 1:55 pm

Post sheepdogandy
Once a State Overseer blackballs you.

You are toast.

Sad but true.

But hey!

We celebrate twenty years this year.

Works for us. Laughing

www.spwc.church
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
10/9/09 2:21 pm

Post Bro Bob
Quote:
Once a State Overseer blackballs you.

You are toast.

Depends on who you are working for, and what it is that you want him to do for you.

It is the parable of the talents.

Want more responsibility? Want a bigger church?

You have two choices, you can ask the overseer, or you can talk to God.

I have seen the wicked in great power...
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
10/9/09 4:07 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic