Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Need Your Help With My Church Plant Round 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

If given a list of these four churches, based solely on the name of the church, which of these churches would you be most likely to visit?
Flood Church
14%
 14%  [ 4 ]
Lift Church
39%
 39%  [ 11 ]
Soul City Church
28%
 28%  [ 8 ]
Soul Source Church
17%
 17%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 28

Message Author
Post Need Your Help With My Church Plant Round 2 shaunbwilson
You guys helped tremendously with my church plant's new name a couple of weeks ago. Because of the strong response we got from YOU we decided we should go back to the drawing board. Above are the names we came away with tonight after a second brainstorming session lasting two and a half hours!

So let me ask you one more time:
If given a list of these four names, based solely on the name of the church, which of these churches would you be most likely to visit as someone who either is new to an area and searching for a church or an unbeliever who has been asked to go to church by a friend?

If you have a reason you picked one of the names or a reason you didn't pick one of these churches to try out, I'd appreciate it if you'd post a reply telling me why.

Thanks again for your invaluable help!

SW
8/12/09 10:43 pm

Post Troy Hamby
shaun, I like 'lift' out of those...but, I would just call it "lift" without the church. To me, none of those names sound good with "church" after it... Golf Cart Mafia Soldier
8/12/09 10:52 pm

Post Memory03
NONE OF THE ABOVe!!!

why all the weird names?

Real Men get their haircut in a Barber Shop... The rest go to beauty parlors...
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
8/12/09 10:53 pm

Post Memory03
how about "Life Church" or "Life Quest"... or "Journey" or "Reality"...

Real Men get their haircut in a Barber Shop... The rest go to beauty parlors...
8/12/09 10:56 pm

Post shaunbwilson
So here's the theory behind the mix of weird name and "church".

Generation X is a free-spirited generation that likes culture. We want our church NAME to be seeker sensitive. When you hear things like "Life Church", there's a certain thickness to the religiousness of the name. We are going for something along the lines of what you'd consider naming a business. For instance, Google could have named themselves Algorithm Search Engine or simply just "Algorithm". But they went with a non-geeky sounding name like Google to cast a wider net and include more people.

We want to have the word "church" involved for the Millennial Generation. This generation is one that will soon start to put less emphasis on culture and more on tradition. It's also important to us that if you find us online or in the phone book (for those of you who remember what those are) that the word "church" is associated with the name. There's about an 80% chance that our official name would have church on the end, but from the pulpit we'd use only the first, more cultured word or words. For instance, "Lift" or "Soul Source".

On a side note, we chose "Lift" because of John 12:32, "And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me." Our main goal is to lift up Christ and by extension lift people up out of their sin and lift up glory to God and the list goes on.

Thanks for the feedback so far. Keep it coming, both negative and positive. We want to do our very best to end up with a church name that's pleasing to the ear.
8/12/09 11:08 pm

Post shaunbwilson
PS - Most people "got" Lift Church when a very rough draft of a logo was drawn up where "church" naturally was given a diminutive role.

8/12/09 11:14 pm

Post Soul City Church D'Art Strickland
Jarrett Stevens is in the process of planting a church in Chicago right now named Soul City Church. They have a pretty rad website. www.soulcitychurch.com

With that being said, I still like Lift Church better.
Friendly Face
8/13/09 8:13 am

Post Dave Dorsey
I still like Soul City Church. I think of "soul" in the musical/emotional sense so far as the name is concerned and to me the name suggests a group that is infusing soul into its city. I think you mentioned earlier you're not actually in a city, though, so the name might lose some of its appeal as a result of that. (Where are you planting, anyway?)

Of what remains, I like Lift Church (with the logo.) Soul Source Church weirds me out (in addition to being a tongue twister, which can't be a positive branding step!) and I find Flood Church to be very bland.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
8/13/09 8:35 am

Post Re: Soul City Church shaunbwilson
D'Art Strickland wrote:
Jarrett Stevens is in the process of planting a church in Chicago right now named Soul City Church. They have a pretty rad website. www.soulcitychurch.com

With that being said, I still like Lift Church better.

Man, don't I know it! Jarrett and my pastor are friends. Smile We had our initial brainstorming session the day before he announced his church and didn't get the idea from him. Imagine our surprise!

Thanks for your input!

Last edited by shaunbwilson on 8/13/09 8:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Site Admin
8/13/09 8:40 am

Post shaunbwilson
Dave Dorsey wrote:
I still like Soul City Church. I think of "soul" in the musical/emotional sense so far as the name is concerned and to me the name suggests a group that is infusing soul into its city.

Most people's reaction is "You're a black church?" My initial thought when I heard the name was "In my Father's house are many mansions." I envisioned a huge apartment building with each window representing a soul in the Father's house.

Dave Dorsey wrote:
(Where are you planting, anyway?)

Elkridge/Catonsville. The closer to US-1 and MD-100 the better.

Thanks for your input!
8/13/09 8:44 am

Post George Sansbury
I think "lift" is unique. Friendly Face
8/14/09 8:21 pm

Post Shawn... I have great concerns... Isa 58:12
How do any of those names Honor Y'shua, G-d? they sound like secular night club gigs. "If" Adonai has called you to do this, He would have given you a name that Honors Him. I don't understand this , were you called?

Because aren't you really decieving the public by not calling it a "church?" Isn't that a false statement of what god you serve?

I just stopped @ 5, but I want to bring these coments yoou said to your attention, you said;

1. Generation X is a free-spirited generation that likes culture gen X is not in my bible, & I guess these free-spirited people who likes "culture" are people you are going to "try" to win by using things from the world? Like music, tattoo's, clothes, etc. (I think todd bently is free to minister)
Why do you think you need to use wordly things to win the world? Your not supposed to look like or act like them?
Rom 12:2; Be NOT! conformed to THIS! world... Your not supposed to be of this world John 17.
In 2 Tim 4:10 Demas was a "minister", For demas hath forsaken me, having loved this present world. Your seperate from all other people, Isa 8:11, Ex 31:16-17, Lev 21:8, Heb 7:26, *2 Cor 6:17, 1 Pet 2:9, etc... etc... etc.

2. "We" want "our" church NAME to be seeker sensitive. Soooo you don't want to run anybody off by the Name of the Messiah, or a "church" name that points to Him? Y'shua said in Matt 10:32; Whosoever confess Me before men, I will confess him before My Father in Heaven.
Seeker "sensitive" Well how are you going to preach? What about gays, alcoholics, rapists, drug users, prostitutes? How are you ever going to reach these people if you want to just be "sensitive" to them? "Will teach them how to adjust to their sins, not confess them, we want them to be "comfortable" Rolling Eyes Big mistake, Adonai is watching.

3. When you hear things like "Life Church", there's a certain thickness to the religiousness of the name. Its not supposed to be about "religion" Shawn, that's man made, its "Relationship" with Him & His Ways through Y'shua. Are you going to look like Y'shua, talk like Y'shua & walk like Him? 1 John 2:6? How are you going to do that when you look like a business, look like the world?

4. We are going for something along the lines of what you'd consider naming a business. Is this what your about? If so, here's the kicker Shawn, you will look like just about every other church in america, sold out like a business, & NOT! for Y'shua.
Stop this Shawn, Matt 6:24; You cannot serve 2 masters... You canot serve G-d & money.
If your going to do something for the Kingdom of G-d, do it withh excellence or don't do it at all. I pray for you Shawn, you will be judged more as a pastor, & it is worse.

5. "We" want to have the word "church" involved for the Millennial Generation. (Whats this???) This generation is one that will soon start to put less emphasis on culture and more on tradition.
Are you reading the Bible Shawn? Matt 15:1-9, vs 9; But in "vain" they do Worship Me, teaching for doctrines the commandment of men, Isa 29:13, Col 3:8, 20-22.

STOP!! Rolling Eyes
8/15/09 12:01 am

Post Josh Trammell
Quote:
1. Generation X is a free-spirited generation that likes culture gen X is not in my bible, & I guess these free-spirited people who likes "culture" are people you are going to "try" to win by using things from the world? Like music, tattoo's, clothes, etc. (I think todd bently is free to minister)
Why do you think you need to use wordly things to win the world? Your not supposed to look like or act like them?
Rom 12:2; Be NOT! conformed to THIS! world... Your not supposed to be of this world John 17.
In 2 Tim 4:10 Demas was a "minister", For demas hath forsaken me, having loved this present world. Your seperate from all other people, Isa 8:11, Ex 31:16-17, Lev 21:8, Heb 7:26, *2 Cor 6:17, 1 Pet 2:9, etc... etc... etc.

are you kidding me??? Of course gen x is not in the bible...it's just a term to describe a certain age group...you take peoples words and meanings and twist them around...I'm sorry but is an arrogant post...Shaun is just asking what name people like and you twist and turn It around to slam his church
and question his intentions and relationship with God...You need to be careful there was a group of people like this in the Bible and Jesus wasn't to fond of them...
8/15/09 12:26 am

Post Re: Shawn... I have great concerns... Shane B. Stone
Isa 58:12 wrote:
How do any of those names Honor Y'shua, G-d? they sound like secular night club gigs. "If" Adonai has called you to do this, He would have given you a name that Honors Him. I don't understand this , were you called?

Because aren't you really decieving the public by not calling it a "church?" Isn't that a false statement of what god you serve?

I just stopped @ 5, but I want to bring these coments yoou said to your attention, you said;

2. "We" want "our" church NAME to be seeker sensitive. Soooo you don't want to run anybody off by the Name of the Messiah, or a "church" name that points to Him? Y'shua said in Matt 10:32; Whosoever confess Me before men, I will confess him before My Father in Heaven.
Seeker "sensitive" Well how are you going to preach? What about gays, alcoholics, rapists, drug users, prostitutes? How are you ever going to reach these people if you want to just be "sensitive" to them? "Will teach them how to adjust to their sins, not confess them, we want them to be "comfortable" Rolling Eyes Big mistake, Adonai is watching.

3. When you hear things like "Life Church", there's a certain thickness to the religiousness of the name. Its not supposed to be about "religion" Shawn, that's man made, its "Relationship" with Him & His Ways through Y'shua. Are you going to look like Y'shua, talk like Y'shua & walk like Him? 1 John 2:6? How are you going to do that when you look like a business, look like the world?

4. We are going for something along the lines of what you'd consider naming a business. Is this what your about? If so, here's the kicker Shawn, you will look like just about every other church in america, sold out like a business, & NOT! for Y'shua.
Stop this Shawn, Matt 6:24; You cannot serve 2 masters... You canot serve G-d & money.
If your going to do something for the Kingdom of G-d, do it withh excellence or don't do it at all. I pray for you Shawn, you will be judged more as a pastor, & it is worse.

5. "We" want to have the word "church" involved for the Millennial Generation. (Whats this???) This generation is one that will soon start to put less emphasis on culture and more on tradition.
Are you reading the Bible Shawn? Matt 15:1-9, vs 9; But in "vain" they do Worship Me, teaching for doctrines the commandment of men, Isa 29:13, Col 3:8, 20-22.

STOP!! Rolling Eyes

too late, in another thread I said Isa didn't show up unless Israel, Jews, or Torah is discussed...I forgot to mention that if Isa does show up in another thread, all he does is talk about Jewish customs, use Jewish words, and tell everyone else how wrong they are, and want us to argue with him over scripture. Rolling Eyes

Isa do you run a hot air balloon service for a living? Cool
8/15/09 12:43 am

Post Your funny Shane Isa 58:12
Quote:
Isa do you run a hot air balloon service for a living?
Laughing Laughing Laughing

what was wrong with asking Shaun some questions about what he said? Did I talk about anything Jewish in this thread Shane?

Last edited by Isa 58:12 on 8/15/09 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Golf Cart Mafia Capo
8/15/09 8:17 am

Post And Josh Isa 58:12
there was nothing arrogant about what I was saying Josh, & I was not twisting in Shauns words, thats what he said wasn't it?

& I'm not slaming his church ideas for names Josh, I asked him how do they proclaim the Name & Honor it? Josh, I don't playcate anybody here.

I'm not questioning his relationship with G-d Josh, I'm asking how anybody would know thats a place of the G-d of Heaven. I just repeated what he said.

& if you are trying to refer me as a pharisee Josh, the pharisees were all about "their" doctrine. I speak of a returning to, & I have said nothing about Torah here.

I'm a Watchman on the wall Josh Ezek 33 Josh, should I just close my eyes & say nothing when Adoani shows me something?
8/15/09 8:42 am

Post CoGKid50
I would not go to any of those with names like that.
What is this world coming to.
The Lord better hurry and come.

8/15/09 9:09 am

Post Dave Dorsey
CoGKid50 wrote:
would not go to any of those with names like that.

Seriously, words fail with some of you people. Words absolutely fail.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
8/15/09 9:25 am

Post Josh Trammell
CoGKid50 wrote:
I would not go to any of those with names like that.

so please enlighten us on which church names are good enough for you to attend....
8/15/09 10:54 am

Post Hey there Shaunbwilson Cojak
Use what you and your supporters are most comfortable with. I as a traveler would appreciate any signs for the church having at least a small logo for the church organization it represents, if any. Some of us old folk don’t readily identify with the new names of the last few years. But we like to attend with folks of like faith.

It is only natural you will get some flack from us older folk but I am even getting used to hearing Renavontous (?)
8/15/09 11:54 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic