Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Dance in Worship
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Our Teen Dept. do them rac
and at first, I thought what in the world are they trying to do. How can the pastor allow this to be happening in our COG. This was something that I was against from the beginning. I had two of my own children involved in these "drama's" and they were in front of our people dancing and moving around up there and they were not in the spirit. So the next time I knew that they were going to do another drama, I went to the place that the kids were getting ready to perform and I got a whole new perspective on what they were about to do. These kids were circled together and they were all praying with more meaning and humility than anyone I had heard in a long time. These kids were on a mission to reach someone that was slipping away from God or someone that had never met God and they were going to do it with this ministry. These kids performed that night and the Holy Ghost moved in that service like never before. My Son had one of the lead parts in the drama, and I saw the anointing take control and he was able to reach some people that had not been touched in years. I guess you can call it what you want but I call it a successful ministry in our church. Friendly Face
4/6/06 12:40 am

Post Re: Dance in Worship Land of Middle Girth
I fully understand that this will be taken out of context, but does anybody know anyone who has been led to Christ because they saw somebody dancing?
4/6/06 12:49 am

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post Salvation seen... good2go
Land of Middle Girth wrote:
I fully understand that this will be taken out of context, but does anybody know anyone who has been led to Christ because they saw somebody dancing?

Yes. God used our drama team to touch a young soul & resulted in salvation this past Sunday.
Friendly Face
4/6/06 12:53 am

Post Re: Salvation seen... good2go
Our drama team does dance, signing, flags, & dramatic skits. This past Sunday was interpretive dance is what God used to draw this soul to Him. Friendly Face
4/6/06 12:56 am

Post Many! (LINK) Pastor Gary

A dance/drama team from Sterrett Alabama (http://www.exit1240.com/) has seen more than 100 saved through their outreaches -- NOT in churches. They will bless your socks off, and they use hip-hop dance, drama, art and music in ways that grab the hearts of young people.
4/6/06 1:06 am

Post Pic Land of Middle Girth
In my mind, Signing (I am asuming you mean sign language for the deaf?) and drama are two useful functions. In my experience, the only people that I have seen doing dancing and flags are either children (under 12) or the "look at me" crowd. And most of the "look @ me" folks that were dancing gave me the impression that they had a bit of something extra on that communion wafer if you get my drift. Just my simple, humble opinion.

4/6/06 2:45 am

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post Re: Pic Pastor Gary
In my mind, Signing (I am asuming you mean sign language for the deaf?) and drama are two useful functions. In my experience, the only people that I have seen doing dancing and flags are either children (under 12) or the "look at me" crowd. And most of the "look @ me" folks that were dancing gave me the impression that they had a bit of something extra on that communion wafer if you get my drift. Just my simple, humble opinion.

Believe me -- I know. I have seen some of the worst, tackiest, most sensual and ungodly mess passed offf as "Praise Dance" -- enough to make you vomit. And then, I have seen the real deal, and it makes you weep, makes you stand up and raise your hands to the Lord, makes you overwhelmed with the beauty, grace and pure, holy worship to the Lord.
4/6/06 4:48 am

Post I do not...... sheepdogandy
incorporate dance into the worship service.

From my perspective and experience it is just another gimmick.

Drama teams and the whole schtick.

A poor substitute for the Holy Ghost.

www.spwc.church
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
4/6/06 8:03 am

Post Land of Middle Girth Darrell Garrett
Did you read my blog? I highly doubt it with your response here.
You said it yourself, what you do best is mock what you do not understand. Church folk are really good at doing that.

You asked about people being led to Christ by the dance, and Gary answered you already, but I too have seen this happen. But the real issue is, "Why are we dancing?" Is it for the people, or to worship God? So many get hung up on this issue of "Did anyone get saved by it?" when the question really is, did God like it? Not everything we do for God is done from the perspective of reaching man. Yep, that's what I said. Our purpose is to glorify, to magnify our God. I was created to worship him. Correct? Seems to me that I read somewhere that it is God who draws men's hearts to him, and it is God who does the convicting, and it is God who does the saving. Whether is a sermon being delivered, a song being sung, or a worshipper dancing before the Lord, it is not our talents and abilities but rather the Holy Spirit that draws men to himself. But some of us have such a dose of religion and we have it all figure out that we want to tell God what he can use and what he cannot. I guess he just did not know better when he inspired men to write the Bible.
4/6/06 8:14 am

Post Re: Dance in Worship SCFIRE
Prepared Praise vs prepared preaching. No difference. IMHO.
Both designed to bring the best to Jesus and encourage His people.
4/6/06 8:14 am

Post Touchy touchy....... sheepdogandy
it does not matter what my perspective is on this issue.

I just like pushing the buttons.

Curly pushed mine on another thread.

www.spwc.church
4/6/06 8:25 am

Post Re: I do not...... Darrell Garrett
sheepdogandy wrote:
incorporate dance into the worship service.

From my perspective and experience it is just another gimmick.

Drama teams and the whole schtick.

A poor substitute for the Holy Ghost.

For you as well Andy... did you read the blog?
But why confuse things with historical and Biblical facts?
4/6/06 8:28 am

Post Didn't read....... sheepdogandy
the blog.

If it isn't on Acts.

I don't read it.

www.spwc.church
4/6/06 8:31 am

Post Re: Dance in Worship Darrell Garrett
I rest my case. Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
4/6/06 8:47 am

Post Re: Dance in Worship SCFIRE
This will be my 100th post. I'll never catch BV.

I didn't quit dancing I just changed dance floors....... I had to come up with something for this 1/10th of a mile post. 100 is my 1/10th of a mile.

Rolling Eyes
4/6/06 11:45 am

Post Re: Dance in Worship TheoloJohn
I've seen choreographed "praise dancing" many times over the years. My perspective is obviously just my own and is certainly skewed by my own taste (or lack thereof), but generally speaking I have not been able to see what's so "awesome" about it. There has been a time or two when I was moved to tears by the beauty and grace of movement displayed in the dance, but for the most part (in my experience at least) it has been people who couldn't dance that much better than Mr. Two-Left-Feet (me, that is). It looked hokier (is that even a word?) than almost anything I've ever seen. But for some reason the ladies in the church (including my wife) seemed to really respond to it well.

What I didn't understand and still don't understand is why to the ladies this stuff is just about the most wonderful thing they ever saw, as if they were watching angels dancing or something. I've rarely seen any men (at least straight men Cool ) that were all that impressed by it, though I suppose that's possible.

In one church I formerly attended, the "praise dancers" even had "angel" outfits custom made, so they could run around the sanctuary blessing people. Sure enough, most the ladies in the congregation seemed blessed by it.

One time I saw a Messianic Jewish dance group on TBN. Now that was cool. It was very powerful, and wasn't sissified at all.

I'm not saying we shouldn't have this form of expression in our churches, but I am still wondering why it's considered such a big deal. Then again, it's entirely likely that I just haven't seen the right dance groups thus far.

This is only my view of the subject, just like everybody else's. Always remember you're special, just like everybody else.

4/6/06 12:59 pm

Post Dance 1freewaylunatic
Dance is a beautiful form of worship. We have a Polynesian dance team with adults and children and then our drama ministry also does dance with many of their presentations. Surely there were dancers in the OT---
If we oppose this, then we should also do away with music!
Hey, DOC
4/6/06 7:28 pm

Post Re: Dance in Worship HighlyFavoured
Well...there was a time that I would have said "no way"...like SheepDog...thinking that it was another gimmick ...until my hubby came out of rehab...and the drama team did a drama to the song by Phillips, Craig and Dean...called " This is how it feels to be free"....Man...the Holy Ghost moved...and sitting right beside me.. my husband recieved the Baptism of the Holy Ghost.

Someone one was taping it...and even now..as you watch it,,,you can still feel the Spirit of the Lord...and then you can hear my husband speaking in tongues. It was awesome.
Acts-celerater
4/6/06 9:58 pm

Post pic Land of Middle Girth
Well I guess I'm just an ignorant fool then. i'll just take my opinions to another thread. But in parting, you can have this:

4/6/06 10:12 pm

Post Re: pic Darrell Garrett
Well I guess I'm just an ignorant fool then. i'll just take my opinions to another thread.

No one called you ignorant or a fool (except I guess you just did), but again I will ask you, have you read the article I posted on my blog? I would simply challenge you to read it and then give an intelligent reason why dancing in worship is wrong. Take 5 minutes and read it.
4/6/06 10:52 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic