Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

What do you believe about hell?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What is your belief about hell
Literal Burning Hell
82%
 82%  [ 47 ]
Annhilationism
10%
 10%  [ 6 ]
Modified version
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Hell is the grave
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 57

Message Author
Post What do you believe about hell? DHDRabbi
By popular demand..... [Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/12/07 8:57 pm

Post I noticed people are voting but not responding.. caseyleejones
verbally Acts-perienced Poster
10/13/07 1:52 pm

Post Casey Larry Wiley
What is there to say. I understand the Bible to say that Hell is eternal.

I don't like that but I have no say in the matter. The only say I have is whether or not I go.
10/13/07 4:28 pm

Post DHDRabbi
When a dog dies, it is eternally dead, never to return again. So, "eternal" can be death, never to return again. That interpretation works just as well.

The Bible says the wages of sin is death, not eternal, continuous suffering.
The Bible also says God loved the world so much, He gave his son and whoever believes in His son will not PERISH, but have eternal life. Does perish mean eternal burning?

These scriptures are just as valid as the ones that are used to justify a literal burning hell.

What we do....me included...is to have a belief and find scriptures to support those beliefs. When I think I can find truth, I have to realize that for every one of you who believe in hell, there are others who don't. GREAT theologians disagree. So, the problem is when I realize....who am I that God would reveal truth to me? Everybody else thinks they know the truth. Which ones of them are right?
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/13/07 6:30 pm

Post Poimen
For the purpose of this thread I chose hell as an eternal place of torment.

I actually believe it is both the 1st and the last option, depending on the context.

And I'd have to disagree with you Rab. When Jesus describes it as everlasting fire I take Him at His word. Not everlasting non-existence. Not temporary fire. Everlasting fire.

Singing: "Let us then be true and faithful -- trusting, serving, everyday. Just one glimpse of Him in glory will the toils of life repay."
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
10/13/07 6:38 pm

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post DHDRabbi
Poimen wrote:
For the purpose of this thread I chose hell as an eternal place of torment.

I actually believe it is both the 1st and the last option, depending on the context.

And I'd have to disagree with you Rab. When Jesus describes it as everlasting fire I take Him at His word. Not everlasting non-existence. Not temporary fire. Everlasting fire.

That's what I'm talking about. you have a scripture and I have one. What do you think PERISH and DEATH mean? Does perish mean to burn? Does death mean to burn? Those scriptures count too, don't they? Disagree all you want, but it doesn't matter. There is an absolute truth and great theologians disagree. It doesn't mean that I am right and it doesn't mean that you are right.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/13/07 6:47 pm

Post Poimen
DHDRabbi wrote:

That's what I'm talking about. you have a scripture and I have one. What do you think PERISH and DEATH mean? Does perish mean to burn? Does death mean to burn? Those scriptures count too, don't they? Disagree all you want, but it doesn't matter. There is an absolute truth and great theologians disagree. It doesn't mean that I am right and it doesn't mean that you are right.

I understand your position and implication. I also respect other believers opinions on otherwise non-fundamental issues. But in truth SCRIPTURE is right, one or maybe both of us are wrong. But scripture is right.

In this case I feel that everlasting is so obvious that to deny it makes scripture contradict. I, personally, cannot fathom how any believer can objectively read scripture and NOT believe in eternal punishment. Scripture, when taken together and in context just will not support anything else as sound doctrine.

For the sake of discussion ... Perish here would relate two fold. Initially it would refer to physical death. Indirectly this relates to the promise of resurrection. As Jesus told Mary "I am the resurrection. He that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live."

Singing: "Let us then be true and faithful -- trusting, serving, everyday. Just one glimpse of Him in glory will the toils of life repay."
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
10/13/07 6:59 pm

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post Poimen... caseyleejones
Quote:
In this case I feel that everlasting is so obvious that to deny it makes scripture contradict. I, personally, cannot fathom how any believer can objectively read scripture and NOT believe in eternal punishment. Scripture, when taken together and in context just will not support anything else as sound doctrine.

I was always taught that hell was eternal and there was eternal torment. However, poimen, one starting objectively in scripture could very easily come to the conclusion of anhilationism.

I would also agree with Rab. A person anhilated is also eternal. It is also punishment.

Could the eternal torment that we all taught be something handed down from our forefathers because there was an attitude of revenge? And the thought of our teaching that our enemies burning forever and being eternally tormented make our predecesors feel good?
Acts-perienced Poster
10/13/07 7:47 pm

Post TheoloJohn
Though I wasn't completely satisfied with the terms used, I chose "literal burning hell," as that is the view that is closest to my understanding of the issue.

However, I should quickly add that I see the Scriptures clearly teaching that Hell will in fact be worse for some than others, and that each unrepentant sinner will receive their just recompense by an absolutely just and holy God.

If it were up to me (but it's not), I would sincerely love to see annihilationism or even universalism be true, but after over 20 years of studying the arguments of annihilationism and universalism, I still find the plain teaching of Scripture to be that Hell will in fact be just as Jesus describes it.

As far as "literal," I'm not sure that I can go as far as to say that, for I don't see how a physical flame could harm a nonmaterial soul for ever and ever, but the imagery of Hell being a lake of fire, eternal fire, etc., seems clear enough to know that it will be a terrible, terrible place.
10/13/07 8:34 pm

Post Theo whocansatisfy
TheoloJohn wrote:
Though I wasn't completely satisfied with the terms used, I chose "literal burning hell," as that is the view that is closest to my understanding of the issue.

However, I should quickly add that I see the Scriptures clearly teaching that Hell will in fact be worse for some than others, and that each unrepentant sinner will receive their just recompense by an absolutely just and holy God.

If it were up to me (but it's not), I would sincerely love to see annihilationism or even universalism be true, but after over 20 years of studying the arguments of annihilationism and universalism, I still find the plain teaching of Scripture to be that Hell will in fact be just as Jesus describes it.

As far as "literal," I'm not sure that I can go as far as to say that, for I don't see how a physical flame could harm a nonmaterial soul for ever and ever, but the imagery of Hell being a lake of fire, eternal fire, etc., seems clear enough to know that it will be a terrible, terrible place.

Can you imagine a burning bush that is not consumed? If we believe the Biblical account, then we have to accept that God did appear to Moses in a bush that was on fire but not burned up. How is it any harder to believe in a literal burning lake of fire that will not consume it's victims?

As for the poll here, you cannot compare apples to oranges. The word "hell" in the scripture has many interpretations depending on the original text. What some here are interpreting hell to be is that of a lake of fire. The problem is that some of the scriptures used to describe hell are not about the lake of fire. There is a hell that exists right now. The rich man in the Lazarus parable is tormented there to this day. It is NOT the lake of fire that will exist forever once it is created.
Friendly Face
10/14/07 12:37 am

Post Re: Theo TheoloJohn
whocansatisfy wrote:

Can you imagine a burning bush that is not consumed? If we believe the Biblical account, then we have to accept that God did appear to Moses in a bush that was on fire but not burned up. How is it any harder to believe in a literal burning lake of fire that will not consume it's victims?

Let's get one thing straight. I'm NOT denying that there will be (or already is) a lake of fire that the unrepentant wicked will be cast into some day. What I am simply saying is that it must be a different kind of fire from, say, my BBQ grill, if it burns forever and ever and is able to burn souls up but never consume them. (Just like the burning bush was not a normal fire).

By the way, why are you bolding everything in your posts? When everything is bolded, it makes everything equally important, which kind of defeats the whole purpose of bolding things in the first place.

Be blessed,

John
10/14/07 12:55 am

Post Re: Theo whocansatisfy
TheoloJohn wrote:
whocansatisfy wrote:

Let's get one thing straight. I'm NOT denying that there will be (or already is) a lake of fire that the unrepentant wicked will be cast into some day. What I am simply saying is that it must be a different kind of fire from, say, my BBQ grill, if it burns forever and ever and is able to burn souls up but never consume them. (Just like the burning bush was not a normal fire).

By the way, why are you bolding everything in your posts? When everything is bolded, it makes everything equally important, which kind of defeats the whole purpose of bolding things in the first place.

Be blessed,

John

First Theo, let me say I'm not "trying" or "judging" you here, so don't get bent out of shape. You DID say that you were not sure you would say the lake of fire was LITERAL. My response was mainly to that. The lake of fire is just as LITERAL as the burning bush. It wasn't spiritual or imagined, it was real. That is all I was trying to point out.

BTW, I bold my responses to make them easier to read and differentiate them from the quotes above it.
Friendly Face
10/14/07 1:11 am

Post TheoloJohn
I completely get the understanding of "literal" that you are referring to, and I don't dispute that the burning bush and the lake of fire are real in that sense of "literal." However, when we use the word, "literal," to my mind it indicates "regular" or "normal" fire, the primary meaning of the word.

In saying I'm not sure about the term, "literal" (because of the reasons I've given) I'm definitely NOT denying that the fire of Hell and the suffering inflicted by it will indeed be very REAL.
10/14/07 1:22 am

Post Old Testament anyone???? TimFulmer
[quote="DHDRabbi"][quote="Poimen"]For the purpose of this thread I chose hell as an eternal place of torment.

And I'd have to disagree with you Rab. When Jesus describes it as [i]everlasting fire[/i] I take Him at His word. Not everlasting non-existence. Not temporary fire. Everlasting fire.[/quote]

That's what I'm talking about. you have a scripture and I have one. What do you think PERISH and DEATH mean? Does perish mean to burn? Does death mean to burn? Those scriptures count too, don't they? Disagree all you want, but it doesn't matter. There is an absolute truth and great theologians disagree. It doesn't mean that I am right and it doesn't mean that you are right.[/quote]

-----------------------------------------

Isa 66:22 For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before me, saith the LORD, so shall your seed and your name remain.
23 And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the LORD.
24 And they shall go forth, and look upon the carcases of the men that have transgressed against me: for their worm shall not die, neither shall their fire be quenched; and they shall be an abhorring unto all flesh.

-- Facts about Hell --

Hell is not --- The Lake of Fire

Hell is not --- eternal (The lake of fire is)

Re 20:13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works

Hell is not a metaphor ---

Hell was created for a purpose --- (when, would be a good question to ask)

Men are in hell --

Fallen Angels are in hell --

Hell is a personal choice -- it is an intelligent decision made within the confines of a heart and mind exposed to yet rejecting the reality of the Gospel...
Luke 16:10-12 Those who are faithful in the least.. ... If ye are not faithful with money, who will trust you with true riches? If ye are not faithful with what is another man's, who shall give you that which is your own?
Friendly Face
10/14/07 6:58 am

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post bradfreeman
I've heard it taught and believe that the story of Lazarus and the rich man is not a parable. Consequently, you get a pretty clear picture of eternal torment from this story.

My website: www.bradfreeman.com
My blog: http://bradcfreeman.tumblr.com/
Acts-dicted
3/1/09 4:29 pm

Post This thread was originally in the grave for over a year..... caseyleejones
....... Acts-perienced Poster
3/1/09 4:32 pm

Post Eduardo Nieves
With all the Carlton P. stuff, this one is making a comeback.
Romanos 8:37
37 Sin embargo, en todo esto somos más que vencedores por medio de aquel que nos amó.

"A Church Without Walls, A Place for All People"
El Nuevo Mana
Eduardo Nieves
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
3/28/09 9:24 pm

Post sonofasoldier
If the first death is death of the body could the second death be eternal death of the soul? Rev. 2:11; 20:6, 14; 21:8.

Eternal hell was created for the devil and his angels. But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death Rev. 21:8.

Second death is annihilationism. Hell is eternal (for the devil and his angels). Death is to cease to exist.
Acts-celerater
8/3/09 2:21 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic