Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Why do city/suburb people move to rural areas & how shou
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Re: Why do city/suburb people move to rural areas & how arcticgolfer1
Ok we have talked about accents, education and grammar, city life vs. country. What I'm taking here is that not to many people have true input into the original question. This is not meant to be chastisement because I have enjoyed the debate - so let me way in on it.

Nowanghere are you aware that you split your infinitives? That's a real crime among the grammar police.
Accents - generally I think the public does indeed find some accents to be "intelligent" and some to be "dumb dumb." I have to check myself because I do have a problem with the Southern accent that dominates half of our country. There are plenty of others that sound a heap plenty stupid as well. I assume that a lot of Americans must find the British accent to be intelligent. Why? Because so many advertisers use a British accented person to hock the product. There must be something that happens mentally to many folks when we here certain accents.

NWH I think you noted you were from the Northern New England area? I find a real intellectual snobbery exists in many parts of New England. I think this comes from the fact that there are various world renowned universities in that region. A high degree of folks have degrees. Thus they tend to look down on those who have not been to the same universities that they have. Basically New York, Boston and LA people tend to not understand or appreciate why anyone or how anyone could live anywhere but where they are. Hence the reason so much of New England looks down on President Bush. He went to Yale but has a ranch in TX and has a Texas draw, he must be stupid.

I have witnessed many a person who were highly successful without any college and/or university education. And many who have a PHD who are as dumb as a doornail about life. I know this works both ways. I think we Americans and humans for that matter buy into the whole "you must have a college education" to be successful argument way to easily. It is not true, nor is a guarantee of success, not in life or ministry.
2/24/06 9:51 am

Post Artic notwanghere
Did I really split my infinitives? Oh no...I am crushed. Very Happy

In spite of superior education and cultural standards sometimes even the superior slip and make errors. The superiority of our education can be seen in Dr. Conn being Harvard educated.

Brother ... all tongue in cheak!

Laughing

I resent any American culture claiming superiority over another. Be it north - south, OR south-north!

Blessings
Acts Enthusiast
2/24/06 10:54 am

Post American Culture Porpoise Driven Neptune
notwanghere wrote:
I resent any American culture claiming superiority over another. Be it north - south, OR south-north!

American culture? Now there's an oxymoron. Smile
Acts-celerater
2/24/06 11:01 am

Post Re: American Culture notwanghere
Porpoise Driven Neptune wrote:
notwanghere wrote:

I am trying to be kind. Very Happy

It seems my efforts at misdirection have been successful. Although New England educated, I shant be associated with the rebels culture. Hint: I am a loyalist of all loyalists. But then by offering my own "defence" I am besmirching myself. Very Happy
Acts Enthusiast
2/24/06 11:17 am

Post Re: American Culture Travis Johnson
notwanghere wrote:

Porpoise,

Bro, come on. You don't have to dig like that. Besides, it is American culture that in part is responsible for America's victory over the Soviets in the Cold War. The dribbling in of blue jeans and rock and roll among other things like a rapid build up of our nuclear arms and a Hollywood, American Cowboy president that the USSR was scared to death of.

American culture is powerful enough to trump the Indian accents that man our outgoing CSR calls. And, here are a few other words that embody American Culture:

McDonalds
Hollywood
Democracy
STARBUCKS
Arpanet/Internet
Blue Jeans
Baseball
Basketball

I could go on. But, I wouldn't want to trample on the sometimes elitist European concept of superior culture. Laughing I guess there is plenty of culture coming out of Europe. Of course, we threw some of that culture into the Boston waters. And, you can keep the culture that promotes bad teeth.

I'm glad I'm American. I love our cultureless society! Cool
Acts-dicted
2/24/06 11:35 am

Post Re: Why do city/suburb people move to rural areas & how arcticgolfer1
nowanghere I do not know if you split your infinitives or not. I just figured I could get you on that one. I had an English teacher in High School who war excessively embarrassed over once doing that in a conversation with his College English Professor. I laughed then and it still makes me laugh now.
BTW I am still in the NE technically. I spent time in the liberal Mecca and still am on the outskirts of said Mecca.

And Travis that stuff you listed sounds more like Pop Culture than American Culture. American Culture is a derivative of influences, from Europe, Indians or Indigenous peoples as well as Religion. Now of course today it has many sources.
2/24/06 12:27 pm

Post Re: Why do city/suburb people move to rural areas & how notwanghere
arcticgolfer1 wrote:
nowanghere I do not know if you split your infinitives or not. I just figured I could get you on that one. I had an English teacher in High School who war excessively embarrassed over once doing that in a conversation with his College English Professor. I laughed then and it still makes me laugh now.
BTW I am still in the NE technically. I spent time in the liberal Mecca and still am on the outskirts of said Mecca.

And Travis that stuff you listed sounds more like Pop Culture than American Culture. American Culture is a derivative of influences, from Europe, Indians or Indigenous peoples as well as Religion. Now of course today it has many sources.

Very Happy
Acts Enthusiast
2/24/06 12:36 pm

Post American Culture - Consider Your Chain Yanked Porpoise Driven Neptune
Travis Johnson wrote:
notwanghere wrote:

Porpoise,

Bro, come on. You don't have to dig like that. Besides, it is American culture that in part is responsible for America's victory over the Soviets in the Cold War. The dribbling in of blue jeans and rock and roll among other things like a rapid build up of our nuclear arms and a Hollywood, American Cowboy president that the USSR was scared to death of.

American culture is powerful enough to trump the Indian accents that man our outgoing CSR calls. And, here are a few other words that embody American Culture:

McDonalds
Hollywood
Democracy
STARBUCKS
Arpanet/Internet
Blue Jeans
Baseball
Basketball

I could go on. But, I wouldn't want to trample on the sometimes elitist European concept of superior culture. Laughing I guess there is plenty of culture coming out of Europe. Of course, we threw some of that culture into the Boston waters. And, you can keep the culture that promotes bad teeth.

Well, Travis, you know I was just yanking your chain.

Actually - think about the real culture that America has produced:
Mark Twain, Ernest Hemingway, John Steinbeck, John Lee Hooker, Oscar Peterson etc.

As for the bad teeth bit - you've met the Porpoise, Travis, so you know my teeth are bad. You didn't have to tell everyone else! Europeans find the American obsession with white teeth funny too. Smile
Acts-celerater
2/24/06 12:53 pm

Post Re: American Culture - Consider Your Chain Yanked notwanghere
Travis Johnson wrote:
notwanghere wrote:

Porpoise,

McDonalds
Hollywood
Democracy
STARBUCKS
Arpanet/Internet
Blue Jeans
Baseball
Basketball

Mark Twain, Ernest Hemingway, John Steinbeck, John Lee Hooker, Oscar Peterson etc.

As for the bad teeth bit - you've met the Porpoise, Travis, so you know my teeth are bad. You didn't have to tell everyone else! Europeans find the American obsession with white teeth funny too. Smile

ANd they should try talking with their mouths closed! Very Happy
Acts Enthusiast
2/24/06 12:56 pm

Post Re: American Culture - Consider Your Chain Yanked Travis Johnson

I actually think its funny that European culture assigns zero social negatives for bad teeth, especially in light of the fact that the first mass produced toothbrush was a European (British) product. Now, I didn't notice that the Porpoise had bad teeth. If that is indeed the case, I did not notice because I was overwhelmed by the good nature, sharp wit, mishievous streak, and engaging personality that the Porpoise possesses.

As far as the "real" culture you allude to, I would have to agree. "The Old Man and the Sea" is one of many great stories written by a conflicted midwesterner born in Oak Park, IL and living just down the road from me in Key West. Of course, he is heavily influenced by events in Spain, Africa, and Cuba. Hemingway was quite a man...a great story himself to follow. Who knows what kind of influence he personally had on the lives of his readers.

Now, I'm certainly a proud American. Some people feel ashamed for being from such a great young country. I am not. I know you weren't digging. I was just enjoying the exchange. I will say this in reference to my young country of which I entered only generations ago from a smattering of European countries: for a land so young, she has done much to improve the lives of people around the globe. If the only culture we export is a culture of help, liberation, and aid, I would be proud to be from the USA.
Acts-dicted
2/24/06 3:03 pm

Post Mike Myers on British Culture Travis Johnson
Mike Myers on British Culture

Acts-dicted
2/24/06 3:13 pm

Post 2 cents sheepdogandy
I am a native Southerner.

Georgia born and bred.

I pastor in the town I was born.

I thank God that town is not Atlanta.

During the "heat of the message" I find myself reminding the congregation.

"That's bad grammer, but good preaching".

Yankees can stay up north for all I care.

Cause we really don't care how you did it up north.

Truth is.

It's all about the Holy Ghost.

He gets the job done in any situation.

www.spwc.church
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
2/24/06 4:33 pm

Post sheepdog Steve Morrison
I've got your change from that inflated opinion of yours. Laughing

If ignorance is bliss, then some of you folks are the happiest people around.
Acts Enthusiast
2/24/06 4:44 pm

Post Re: Mike Myers on British Culture Porpoise Driven Neptune
Travis Johnson wrote:
Mike Myers on British Culture

You can see why they used him for the voice of Shrek.
Acts-celerater
2/24/06 4:46 pm

Post It ain't inflated bubba. sheepdogandy
It's honest.

Hey, why do yankees move down here anyway?

Anybody know?

www.spwc.church
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
2/24/06 4:50 pm

Post Re: 2 cents Pastor Gary
sheepdogandy wrote:
He gets the job done in any situation.

Except those situations where we get in His way and allow our human foolishness and arrogance to become a stumblingblock?
2/24/06 5:06 pm

Post Re: It ain't inflated bubba. Travis Johnson
sheepdogandy wrote:
It's honest.

Anybody know?

People have been moving to the south and out west since the invention of air conditioning. Also, if you look at the states with rapidly growing populations, they all tend to have zero state income taxes and fewer government regulations.

Both of those last two reasons keep the cost of living lower than in most northen and midwest cities. Of course, there are some exceptions...some southern towns are getting to be very expensive. However, I believe that has to do with limited coastal land and massive population shifts caused by retiring baby boomers.
Acts-dicted
2/24/06 5:07 pm

Post Re: 2 cents notwanghere
sheepdogandy wrote:
I am a native Southerner.

Yankees can stay up north for all I care.

Cause we really don't care how you did it up north.

Nor apparently how to reach the North for Christ! Southern euphemisms and down home stories might work with Mom, Dad, and my family and friends, but it won't get it done in a different culture.

Its a good thing we don't all say, "we don't care it is done down South," Where would the AB's come from?

I respect you greatly, you have had the nerve to state publicly that which many believe silently. I am embarrassed that such xenophobia still exists, but I still respect.
Acts Enthusiast
2/24/06 5:51 pm

Post Re: It ain't inflated bubba. Memory03
sheepdogandy wrote:
It's honest.

Anybody know?

Sheepdoggydog, a Yankee in my Barber Shop told us a while back that

"I was born in the north, and I was raised in the north, but I got down here (NC) just as quick as I could".

I think many many of northerners actually HATE the north.

I don't mind them coming down here. Just don't try to change us to be like the North. I don't really care how they did it (politics) up there. If it is so good, then stay up there.

Real Men get their haircut in a Barber Shop... The rest go to beauty parlors...

Last edited by Memory03 on 2/25/06 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
2/24/06 6:37 pm

Post Re: It ain't inflated bubba. notwanghere
Memory03 wrote:
sheepdogandy wrote:
It's honest.

Anybody know?

I think many many of northerners actually HATE the north.

I don't mind them coming down here. Just don't try to change us to be like the North. I don't really care how they did it up there. If it is so good, then stay up there.

While I would never presume to speak for all Northerner's I can state one fact. It's the weather. People move from the north to the south not because of southerners, but in spite of them.

Its all about the weather. Warm weather is very inviting. The regional elitism is not! I have never in my life heard a northerner say "Why are you here? I am sorry, but I find that question very offensive.

We are one Nation ... we can go anywhere we want! It's not that we can't ... it's whether we wish to expose ourselves to such patent cultural ignorance.
Acts Enthusiast
2/24/06 7:45 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic