Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Should women be pastors?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Should women be pastors? Charlie Metz
Just curious. I have an opinion, but what say you?
"Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it. For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it." Matt. 7:13-14
Acts-celerater
4/19/07 1:01 pm

Post KariJay
Rolling Eyes

The better question is...should men be pastors.
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
4/19/07 1:04 pm

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post If you're gonna give 'em the papers... roughridercog
let 'em have the position.
4/19/07 1:05 pm

Post Gender RodDsm
This question always sparks great controversy. If God has called the person, who are we to judge who can and cannot pastor. I heard a prominent woman one time say, "If the man is not going to do it and do it well...then move over and let a God-called woman do it."

Now, I'm not sure that we even need to have the "man move over". If God has called you, GO FOR IT.
4/19/07 1:10 pm

Post Personally... prefontaine
I don't know that I would attend a church with a woman pastor unless God REALLY lead me to. With that said, I agree with Rough, if you'll give them the papers, give them the position. I do think it is ridiculous that they can't be Ordained Bishops...well, then again, I don't know that I want Karijay to be a bishop...can you imagine, "Karijay for PB!!!"? Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
4/19/07 1:10 pm

Post TheoloJohn
If God calls a person to be a pastor, then by all means yes, they should obey God's call and pastor.

I have no problem with women pastors. In my experience, lady preachers are usually very spiritually minded, far more than most men pastors I've known.
4/19/07 1:12 pm

Post Re: Personally... KariJay
prefontaine wrote:
I don't know that I would attend a church with a woman pastor unless God REALLY lead me to. With that said, I agree with Rough, if you'll give them the papers, give them the position. I do think it is ridiculous that they can't be Ordained Bishops...well, then again, I don't know that I want Karijay to be a bishop...can you imagine, "Karijay for PB!!!"?

I don't know that I would want KariJay to be a bishop either. Laughing
4/19/07 1:12 pm

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post Re: Personally... roughridercog
KariJay wrote:
prefontaine wrote:
I don't know that I would attend a church with a woman pastor unless God REALLY lead me to. With that said, I agree with Rough, if you'll give them the papers, give them the position. I do think it is ridiculous that they can't be Ordained Bishops...well, then again, I don't know that I want Karijay to be a bishop...can you imagine, "Karijay for PB!!!"?

I don't know that I would want KariJay to be a bishop either. Laughing

If it happens, remember me when you come into your kingdom.
4/19/07 1:31 pm

Post No...Here's What The Scripture Says.... Rev.Mike Bassemier
This has been a debate for years... "If the men won't do it then the women will" I will use the scripture as my defense on this topic. Look at Titus 1:7-9 For a bishop must be blameless, as the steward of God; not self willed, not soon angry, not given to wine, no striker, not given to filthy lucre; But a lover of hospitality, a lover of good men, sober, just, holy, temperate; Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers.
I know many will disagree with me and call me old fashion. But a woman's place is not to pastor a church. A woman is NOT to USURP authority over the man. This is a divine violation of God's word, but many do it it complete disregard of God's word.Also, you will NOT find any where in the scripture's were God used a woman to PASTOR a church.

Last edited by Rev.Mike Bassemier on 4/19/07 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Acts-celerater
4/19/07 1:33 pm

Post Re: No...Here's What The Scripture Says.... roughridercog
Rev.Mike Bassemier wrote:
This has been a debate for years... "If the men won't do it then the women will" I will use the scripture as my defense on this topic. Look at Titus 1:7-9 For a bishop must be blameless, as the steward of God; not self willed, not soon angry, not given to wine, no striker, not given to filthy lucre; But a lover of hospitality, a lover of good men, sober, just, holy, temperate; Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers.
I know many will disagree with me and call me old fashion. But a woman's place is not to pastor a church. A woman is NOT to USURP authority over the man. This is a divine violation of God's word, but many do it it complete disregard of God's word.

There are also tons of male pastors violating that same scripture and I'm not talking about divorce or booze.
4/19/07 1:36 pm

Post Re: No...Here's What The Scripture Says.... KariJay
I know many will disagree with me and call me old fashion. But a woman's place is not to pastor a church. A woman is NOT to USURP authority over the man. This is a divine violation of God's word, but many do it it complete disregard of God's word.

Many do it because they are called. Then when they speak, people see the annointing. God must be using them if they are annointed...don't ya think?

I guess those women are going to go to hell for being pastors and preaching the word. Gimme a break!
4/19/07 1:37 pm

Post Re: No...Here's What The Scripture Says.... Rev.Mike Bassemier
KariJay wrote:

Many do it because they are called. Then when they speak, people see the anointing. God must be using them if they are anointed...don't ya think?

I guess those women are going to go to hell for being pastors and preaching the word. Gimme a break!

I never said that a woman was going to Hell for pastoring a church. However, it violates God's divine order in the way He has set up the church.
Acts-celerater
4/19/07 1:40 pm

Post Re: No...Here's What The Scripture Says.... roughridercog
KariJay wrote:

Many do it because they are called. Then when they speak, people see the anointing. God must be using them if they are anointed...don't ya think?

I never said that a woman was going to Hell for pastoring a church. However, it violates God's divine order in the way He has set up the church.

They didn't have church builidngs either. Does that mean that God's order is not for us to have buildings today. Didn't it take about another hundred years before they thought of pews? Does that violate divine order?
4/19/07 1:46 pm

Post Brenda
In the kingdom.. there is no gender and we're talking about kingdom business.
God can use a woman as well as a man. Its the heart His looking at. The willingness to be used of God.
When God set the order for the church the word just says he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some evangelists; and some Pastors and teachers; Eph. 4:11
no sign of gender there.
4/19/07 2:28 pm

Post lagrangesinging
I do not personally have a problem with Female ministers, but I do not think they should be Ordained Bishops. Nothing against women, but God laid it out for us in his word, 1 Timothy 3:2- A bishop then must be blameless, the HUSBAND OF ONE WIFE. Women definitely have a say, but they should not be over the man of God. If we allow this then we have gone against the word of God. Friendly Face
4/19/07 2:37 pm

Post Brenda
lagrangesinging wrote:
I do not personally have a problem with Female ministers, but I do not think they should be Ordained Bishops. Nothing against women, but God laid it out for us in his word, 1 Timothy 3:2- A bishop then must be blameless, the HUSBAND OF ONE WIFE. Women definitely have a say, but they should not be over the man of God. If we allow this then we have gone against the word of God.

I feel the same as you.
If a Bishop is to be the HUSBAND OF ONE WIFE then how can a woman be a Bishop. Its speaking to a man because he is to be a "HUSBAND" OF ONE WIFE.
4/19/07 2:50 pm

Post Poimen
Perhaps mine is an unpopular position, but it's one I believe based on my understanding of the Scripture...

Women can be called to preach -- but they are not given any true pastoral role or function. Any women who thinks she's called to pastor is obviously mistaken. The Scripture just does not support the notion.

For me, it's not a sexist thing, but rather a practical outworking of my belief in the NT as the rule of faith AND practice. I don't see how any group who holds to the idea of Sola Scriptura can at the same time endorse women pastors/elders/bishops/overseers/presbyter, etc (a word study of these terms in the NT reveals they are synonymous).

Singing: "Let us then be true and faithful -- trusting, serving, everyday. Just one glimpse of Him in glory will the toils of life repay."
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
4/19/07 3:02 pm

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post Re: No...Here's What The Scripture Says.... Rev.Mike Bassemier
roughridercog wrote:
KariJay wrote:

They didn't have church buildings either. Does that mean that God's order is not for us to have buildings today. Didn't it take about another hundred years before they thought of pews? Does that violate divine order?

We are not talking about cosmetics, we are talking about divine order and if it's God's will for women to pastor a church. I said NO before and I'll say No again. We have a priestly order in the OT and there is no mention of women priest. You can make the scripture fit any mold you want to prove a point. The bottom line is God NEVER in the scripture's used a woman to usurp authority over a man. A woman can pastor a church and have good success but that doesn't mean that God ordains it.
Acts-celerater
4/19/07 3:40 pm

Post Re: No...Here's What The Scripture Says.... He Calls Me Friend
The bottom line is God NEVER in the scripture's used a woman to usurp authority over a man.

Let's look at Deborah for a moment according to Nelson's Bible Dictionary:

Quote:
The fifth judge of Israel, a prophetess and the only female judge <Judg. 4--5>. The Bible tells us nothing about her family except that she was the wife of Lapidoth. Deborah's home was in the hill country of Ephraim between Bethel and Ramah. The palm tree under which she sat and judged Israel was a landmark; it became known as "the palm tree of Deborah" <Judg. 4:5>.
Deborah summoned Barak <Judg. 4; 5:1; Heb. 11:32> and told him it was God's will that he lead her forces against the mighty warrior, Sisera. Sisera was the commander of the army of Jabin, king of Canaan,[ who had terrorized Israel for 20 years. Barak accepted on one condition: Deborah must accompany him. Deborah and Barak's army consisted of only 10,000, while Sisera had a multitude of fighters and 900 chariots of iron.
God was on Israel's side, however. When the battle ended, not a single man of Sisera's army survived, except Sisera himself, who fled on foot. When Sisera took refuge in the tent of Heber the Kenite, Jael (the wife of Heber) drove a tent peg through his temple <Judg. 4:21>, killing him.
The "Song of Deborah" <Judges 5> is one of the finest and earliest examples of Hebrew poetry.

She may not have been a "pastor" (I don't believe that term was around during that time) but she was given authority, by God, that, for the most part, went to men. Apparently God had a reason for doing this.

James 2:23
Friendly Face
4/19/07 4:09 pm

Post KariJay
This subject is so old I don't even have the strength to debate it anymore. I do know it's sad that I would have to defend my calling because of my gender. Really sad if you ask me.
4/19/07 4:16 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic