Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Why we are losing our BRIGHTEST and our BEST
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post nugeme
Interesting reply. I once held credentials in the "great church" so I know how it is run. But, I would also be curious which denomination you think has succeeded in what you wish to accomplish? To whom could they look as a model of change? Acts-celerater
3/28/07 10:01 am

Post KevinLloyd
nugeme wrote:
Interesting reply. I once held credentials in the "great church" so I know how it is run. But, I would also be curious which denomination you think has succeeded in what you wish to accomplish? To whom could they look as a model of change?

i apologize for intercepting your post...but i did want to answer your ? about any other denom's who we could look to as a model.

while it's not a denom, the structure i believe could work for one...the Association of Related Churches is a group of church planters whose existence revolves around planting other churches. they are all spirit filled, come out of large churches & have planted large churches. they equip & resource church plants around the nation. you can be a part of the association on several levels...i don't remember all of them. what we are doing, being that we are a church plant, they will give us X number of dollars to launch (with a lot of things we have to do first). then we will pay the top 10% of our income until that amount is paid back. after which we will pay 2% to them for church planting. the do conferences, church planters roundtables, very hands on stuff. there is a board of directors but it's made up of guys who have been church planters and who are still pastoring. there's no voting system. what's cool is that all of this is done through a secretary who works/lives in Baton Rouge, an Executive Director who works/lives in Birmingham, and the Director who works/lives in Charleston & works at Seacoast church. there is no main office, very little overhead & tons of effectiveness. they have planted around 40ish churches in about 5 or 6 years. 1 has failed.

to me this could easily be adopted into a denomination. they don't want it that way...but a denom could learn alot from them.

and another thing they are doing is trying to help educate thier pastors. and the program that they are using is the CoG's Sims program...I think i horribly misspelled that, but i don't know the proper spelling. so that's pretty cool.
www.kevinlloydlive.com
www.twitter.com/kevinlloyd
Acts-celerater
3/28/07 10:14 am

Post I think one of the problems may be outcast
that we tend to focus on our differences and trying to defend our traditions rather than just defending Christ.
I am not against traditionalists. I am not against emergents. I am open minded to "different" ministries. Lord knows, my ministry is different enough. If a tradiotional ministry is what God called you to and you are advancing the kingdom, then great. If you are different, then great. Ministry has to be relevant to culture. If you are trying to be emergent where traditionalism works, then you will have a hard time, and vice versa. If you are in a culture where both work, then let both work without attacking the other. God made us like we are and expects to use us in our giftings.
I refuse to stereotype or classify my ministry with a name. I believe in some of the COG traditions and disagree with them. I run my ministry out of a tattoo studio and I live in the bible belt. But, there are alot of different cultures in my area, and traditional churches work as well as ministries like mine work.
What hurts the COG is that we don't seem to want to allow both to work. We are too concerned with how we "feel" about how other ministers do things.
We have to understand that ministries are different, but that God anointed them to be different. Do what God called you to do, where He called you to do it, in whatever denom or independent work He has placed you in. Do it in the COG if that is where He put you, and do all things without complaining, so that we may shine as lights and be blameless in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation. We have to agree on Jesus Christ, and not necessarily every aspect or method of ministry.
The COG will be just fine in 25 years if we will just do that.
I love the COG and am credentialed in it because I believe God put me here. I don't really ever see myself getting an appt. from my AB and I DON"T CARE. I will continue to do ministry the way God called me to do it and if it is his will for me to Pastor a church in the COG, then He will take what I do and cause it to move in that direction. If not, I will continue to be a COG minister who runs and funds a ministry out of a tattoo shop and be perfectly fine doing it that way. I am a servant, not the master. If we become a church and are not accepted in the COG, then we will cross that bridge. It is God's plan, not mine and certainly not the COG's.
3/28/07 8:20 pm

Post Re: Why we are losing our BRIGHTEST and our BEST roughridercog
YouWillNeverGuessWhoIAm wrote:
Dave Garner wrote in another conversation:

"Kevin,

You sound like so many others on this board....take and take and take..... whatever you can get from the denomination with no real loyalty to the denomination.

I notice you don't mind being listed on the Internationals web site and the fact that as a church plant you are getting financial support from the COG.

In case you don't realize it, it is because of the church I go to and countless others that you even have a place to preach at the present time.

In my opinion, all those on this board who think the COG is meaningless in this present world would serve the rest of us very well if you would only have the courage of your convictions and turn in your credentials and walk!

I challenge you all.....Quit complaining and mouthing your bitter little comments!

Why don't you try WALKING instead of all your meaningless TALKING.

The COG would be better off without you!

Other people on this board who have sincere questions and concerns regarding their own ministries certainly would be better off if they didn't have your garbage spewing out on this board week after week.

I don't need to spell out your names. Each and everyone of you know who I am talking too. Like they say, if the shoe fits wear it!

If things are as bad as you say why do you stay.

It wouldn't be because you can't make it somewhere else without the financial backing of your local congregation, would it?

It wouldn't be because you like getting that regular paycheck and all the perks that go with your present position, would it?

It wouldn't be because you know in your heart that you couldn't make it out in the real world, would it?"

This is precisely why the COG is losing their BRIGHTEST and BEST pastoral leaders (especially the younger ones). It is this "don't complain, just shut up and take it" and if you can't take it then "just leave" attitude that is driving our best leaders from this church.

I believe there is a groundswell of sentiment forming that is demanding some substantive change in the way the COG does certain things and if changes are not made, these BEST and BRIGHTEST will do just that, they will leave.

IF the COG does not change, I predict that ten years from now (if the Lord tarries that long) we will be nothing but a bunch of 50 & 60 year old pastors holding on till we can retire and a FEW young pastors (like Dave Garner) who see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil.

HOW SAD...

Who says we are?
Time will tell.
If some are leaving and God is blessing them...great. I praise God for them.
But who says they are the brightest and the best.

Be a man God can use. Then you'll be the brightest and best where ever God calls you.
We've got some sharp young guys who don't leave.
3/28/07 9:23 pm

Post Re: Why we are losing our BRIGHTEST and our BEST KariJay
roughridercog wrote:
YouWillNeverGuessWhoIAm wrote:
Dave Garner wrote in another conversation:

"Kevin,

You sound like so many others on this board....take and take and take..... whatever you can get from the denomination with no real loyalty to the denomination.

I notice you don't mind being listed on the Internationals web site and the fact that as a church plant you are getting financial support from the COG.

In case you don't realize it, it is because of the church I go to and countless others that you even have a place to preach at the present time.

In my opinion, all those on this board who think the COG is meaningless in this present world would serve the rest of us very well if you would only have the courage of your convictions and turn in your credentials and walk!

I challenge you all.....Quit complaining and mouthing your bitter little comments!

Why don't you try WALKING instead of all your meaningless TALKING.

The COG would be better off without you!

Other people on this board who have sincere questions and concerns regarding their own ministries certainly would be better off if they didn't have your garbage spewing out on this board week after week.

I don't need to spell out your names. Each and everyone of you know who I am talking too. Like they say, if the shoe fits wear it!

If things are as bad as you say why do you stay.

It wouldn't be because you can't make it somewhere else without the financial backing of your local congregation, would it?

It wouldn't be because you like getting that regular paycheck and all the perks that go with your present position, would it?

It wouldn't be because you know in your heart that you couldn't make it out in the real world, would it?"

This is precisely why the COG is losing their BRIGHTEST and BEST pastoral leaders (especially the younger ones). It is this "don't complain, just shut up and take it" and if you can't take it then "just leave" attitude that is driving our best leaders from this church.

I believe there is a groundswell of sentiment forming that is demanding some substantive change in the way the COG does certain things and if changes are not made, these BEST and BRIGHTEST will do just that, they will leave.

IF the COG does not change, I predict that ten years from now (if the Lord tarries that long) we will be nothing but a bunch of 50 & 60 year old pastors holding on till we can retire and a FEW young pastors (like Dave Garner) who see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil.

HOW SAD...

Who says we are?
Time will tell.

Be a man God can use. Then you'll be the brightest and best where ever God calls you.

Hey...don't forget the ladies. We're more than just pretty faces sometimes! Laughing
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
3/28/07 9:25 pm

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post Best and Brightest atouchoffolly
We are losing our best and brightest because it is easier for a denomination to die than to change and easier for an individual to leave than to confront hypocrisy. In reality, the death of a denomination isn't that big a deal. The church will go on, but Ill miss the COG.
3/28/07 10:21 pm

Post Re: Best and Brightest Memory03
atouchoffolly wrote:
We are losing our best and brightest because it is easier for a denomination to die than to change and easier for an individual to leave than to confront hypocrisy. In reality, the death of a denomination isn't that big a deal. The church will go on, but Ill miss the COG.

don't throw the dirt on us yet... Laughing

Real Men get their haircut in a Barber Shop... The rest go to beauty parlors...
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
3/28/07 10:24 pm

Post I'm not saying that the guys who have left aren't good. roughridercog
I'm saying you're discounting the brilliant and gifted younger ministers who stay with the organization.
Don't insult them by saying their ministries are any less viable and anointed than those who leave the Church of God.
3/28/07 10:35 pm

Post Re: I'm not saying that the guys who have left aren't good. KariJay
roughridercog wrote:
I'm saying you're discounting the brilliant and gifted younger ministers who stay with the organization.
Don't insult them by saying their ministries are any less viable and anointed than those who leave the Church of God.

EGGsactly! Ooops...exactly! Laughing Laughing
3/28/07 10:36 pm

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post Re: I'm not saying that the guys who have left aren't good. Memory03
roughridercog wrote:

well put... the rest of us aren't as dumb as some give us credit for...

3/28/07 10:37 pm

Post Re: I'm not saying that the guys who have left aren't good. Memory03
KariJay wrote:
roughridercog wrote:

EGGsactly! Ooops...exactly! Laughing Laughing

now thats funny...

3/28/07 10:38 pm

Post Re: I'm not saying that the guys who have left aren't good. vintagefaith77
Memory03 wrote:
roughridercog wrote:

I don't think anybody is saying that older or more traditional pastors within the COG are dumb or less viable. I think the sad truth is that many of them have put SO much time into the 'system' and have given so much blood, sweat and tears to their churches and this denomination, that the thought of trying to bring real change on a broad scale is not on their radar...and I don't really blame them. They have learned over and over again that you can't rise above your leaders and if the leaders don't want change, then change won't happen! They have come up with fresh/innovative ideas only to have them shot down by a power hungry State Overseer or some other official. So, they decided to do their own thing and keep their head down...keep sending in reports on time, go to all the boring COG business meetings and kiss just enough behind to be left alone.

I don't blame older pastors for not embracing change...I respect them and wish to work hand in hand with them. But, I'm not older, I'm young and just stupid or foolish enough to think that there has to be more to the Body of Christ than what I'm experiencing. I don't expect everyone to agree with me or follow me but I, and many others, have to be honest with ourselves and the callings that God has placed on our lives.
Acts Enthusiast
3/28/07 11:11 pm

Post Re: I'm not saying that the guys who have left aren't good. KariJay
vintagefaith77 wrote:
Memory03 wrote:
roughridercog wrote:

I don't think anybody is saying that older or more traditional pastors within the COG are dumb or less viable. I think the sad truth is that many of them have put SO much time into the 'system' and have given so much blood, sweat and tears to their churches and this denomination, that the thought of trying to bring real change on a broad scale is not on their radar...and I don't really blame them. They have learned over and over again that you can't rise above your leaders and if the leaders don't want change, then change won't happen! They have come up with fresh/innovative ideas only to have them shot down by a power hungry State Overseer or some other official. So, they decided to do their own thing and keep their head down...keep sending in reports on time, go to all the boring COG business meetings and kiss just enough behind to be left alone.

I don't blame older pastors for not embracing change...I respect them and wish to work hand in hand with them. But, I'm not older, I'm young and just stupid or foolish enough to think that there has to be more to the Body of Christ than what I'm experiencing. I don't expect everyone to agree with me or follow me but I, and many others, have to be honest with ourselves and the callings that God has placed on our lives.

I'm young...I haven't left...don't desire to...have no reason to.

I think it's just youngins who think they can do it their own way who leave. And you know what? Maybe that's best. You always have to go back to your roots and foundation to build on anything and make it better and more innovative. All I can say is, I'm not going anywhere and I admire those people who can bring a new spin on traditional ways and still stick with those older, more experienced pastors who know the ropes. It's possible, folks. And we'll learn something more from each other by learning from the traditional values as well as learning from those progressive young ministers.
3/28/07 11:20 pm

Post Re: I'm not saying that the guys who have left aren't good. vintagefaith77
KariJay wrote:
vintagefaith77 wrote:
Memory03 wrote:
roughridercog wrote:

I'm young...I haven't left...don't desire to...have no reason to.

I think it's just youngins who think they can do it their own way who leave. And you know what? Maybe that's best. You always have to go back to your roots and foundation to build on anything and make it better and more innovative. All I can say is, I'm not going anywhere and I admire those people who can bring a new spin on traditional ways and still stick with those older, more experienced pastors who know the ropes. It's possible, folks. And we'll learn something more from each other by learning from the traditional values as well as learning from those progressive young ministers.

who said anything about leaving?? I never said I was leaving...I don't quit things very easily. If I have to leave, Im usually forced to leave...I'm hard headed like that. So, I have no plans on leaving but if others have decided not to take on the challenge of trying to change the denomination from the inside, I don't blame them and I won't throw rocks like SO many others on this board love to do. I pray that God blesses them in their future ministry endeavors.
Acts Enthusiast
3/28/07 11:29 pm

Post A quick thought or two or three... SkyPilot
Before I start I want to say that COG Today is right on. We, the COG, need the vision and leadership of the young guys. A tree that does not grow its own leaves and branches will soon die.

I am an almost 43 year old COG minister. I have worked as a volunteer, full-time staff, planted a church that failed and ministered to military types. I have worked with traditionalists, youth and very edgy types. Here are some thoughts on the matter.

We will lose many of the best a brightest due to intransigence. This is plain and simple. It is not stupidity or lack of intelligence, it is a failure to look with an open mind at the curiosity and explorative nature of the next generation. We automatically decide that any young person who questions authority, tradition or even theology are bad and need to be corrected. What we need more is to teach, mentor and learn from these explorers and see a better and stronger church.

The second reason is ignorance. Our ignorance is in large part due to the fact that we only read those we agree with. It is easy to read those we agree with. It is hard to read those who challenge us. We need to have well read, broadly read and constantly reading leaders. It is in the reading that we see the dangers of faulty logic, the dangers of faulty theology and other things detrimental to the COG and the cause of Christ. On the other hand if we are well read we will find that we are not the church/denom to end all. We are the product of a long progression and evolution of Christian thought. There is still an evolution to come in Christianity. Until Christ returns to catch away His church there will be constant change and evolution within the body of Christ. We are just another step on the road to the final face of Christ's church.

One last thing is that sometimes we forget whose church this is. This is Christ's church. We need to have our face buried in prayer seeking God to show us where we are to go individually, locally and denom wide. It does not have to be the same for all but it must be within God's plan for his church.

One last thing...All youth are arrogant and full fo themselves. I did not realize how different I am now than when I was 21 until lately. I did not realize the slow change from the idealistic youngster to the somewhat (relatively speaking) mature man I am today. I look at my boys (21 and 19) and see how they act. I see myself in them and the idealism, arrogance, know-it-all attitudes that comes with being the smartest person on the Earth...the only people with all the answers. They will be like me in another 20-25 years. Time has a way of mellowing you.

We need to take the idealism and willingness to explore and use it to strengthen and even change the face of COG for future generations. We do not look like the COG of 1910 in 2007. Hopefully (If God tarries) we will look very different in 2025.

Skypilot
Acts-celerater
3/29/07 1:19 am

Post KariJay
Skypilot...I seriously resent your statement about young people being know-it-alls...as a gal in my twenties I can tell you, I don't take for granted the guidance God has blessed me with and I certainly do not think I know it all or know how to do it better. You don't know all the young adults of the world...so please don't make harsh generalizations based on how your sons are.
3/29/07 7:24 am

Post Re: Why we are losing our BRIGHTEST and our BEST Travis Johnson
roughridercog wrote:
Who says we are?
Time will tell.

Rough, we do have some sharp guys that are staying. But, we have some anointed, sharp men that have left though they didn't want to. Tony Brock and Tony Byrd are two guys that immediately come to mind. Both wanted to be COG but the system couldn't find room for them. When you have guys of that caliber that have basically been given the left foot of fellowship, you've got to start seriously examining the system that alienates our sons and daughters.
Acts-dicted
3/29/07 7:32 am

Post Re: Why we are losing our BRIGHTEST and our BEST roughridercog
Travis Johnson wrote:
roughridercog wrote:
Who says we are?
Time will tell.

Rough, we do have some sharp guys that are staying. But, we have some anointed, sharp men that have left though they didn't want to. Tony Brock and Tony Byrd are two guys that immediately come to mind. Both wanted to be COG but the system couldn't find room for them. When you have guys of that caliber that have basically been given the left foot of fellowship, you've got to start seriously examining the system that alienates our sons and daughters.

Is God using them? Great.
But that doesn't meant that the place God wants them to bloom is within the organization.
Our brightest and best of this generation in the Church of God will rise to the top. Cream always does.
3/29/07 7:36 am

Post Let me weigh in here Telecaster
If the COG is dead in 25 years, it's because of the emergent moving coming in and uprooting everything that is Biblical and foundational in our churches.

If the COG is dead in 25 years, it's because it's been over run by emergent churches not preaching the gospel but just attempting to bring whosoever will into the church.

If the COG is dead in 25 years, it'll be because young hot shots who have no desire to learn from their superiors and understand the history of our movement (Pentocostal not just COG) and refuse to learn from others.

If the COG is dead in 25 years, it'll be because churches have sold out to entertaining people rather than the truth.

If the COG is dead in 25 years, it'll be because churches failed to realize that entertainment and emotionalism has never and will never save anyone.

If the COG is dead in 25 years, we'll witness the demise of Pentecost in America because the Pentecost being preached, or mostly not preached by these new churches, is far from the Word.

Lastly, if the COG is dead in 25 years, it'll simply be because we "emerged" so much that people can't tell the difference between the church and the world.

By the way Kevin, by your own admission on this board, your church will not be Church of God. If you're getting help from the COG to build this church, would you like me to call the state office and let them know your intentions or would you be the honorable man and do it? You guys complain about "taxes" yet it's because of your "visions" that we sow our money into works that never pan out for the COG.

How's this one . . . if the COG is dead in 25 years, it'll be because individuals took the money the COG offered to start their church and left the COG after it's over. For your sake, I hope you're not doing this, because you'll lose your church. If it's COG's money, it's COG's church.
Acts Enthusiast
3/29/07 8:08 am

Post Re: A quick thought or two or three... Telecaster
SkyPilot wrote:
Before I start I want to say that COG Today is right on. We, the COG, need the vision and leadership of the young guys. A tree that does not grow its own leaves and branches will soon die.

I am an almost 43 year old COG minister. I have worked as a volunteer, full-time staff, planted a church that failed and ministered to military types. I have worked with traditionalists, youth and very edgy types. Here are some thoughts on the matter.

We will lose many of the best a brightest due to intransigence. This is plain and simple. It is not stupidity or lack of intelligence, it is a failure to look with an open mind at the curiosity and explorative nature of the next generation. We automatically decide that any young person who questions authority, tradition or even theology are bad and need to be corrected. What we need more is to teach, mentor and learn from these explorers and see a better and stronger church.

The second reason is ignorance. Our ignorance is in large part due to the fact that we only read those we agree with. It is easy to read those we agree with. It is hard to read those who challenge us. We need to have well read, broadly read and constantly reading leaders. It is in the reading that we see the dangers of faulty logic, the dangers of faulty theology and other things detrimental to the COG and the cause of Christ. On the other hand if we are well read we will find that we are not the church/denom to end all. We are the product of a long progression and evolution of Christian thought. There is still an evolution to come in Christianity. Until Christ returns to catch away His church there will be constant change and evolution within the body of Christ. We are just another step on the road to the final face of Christ's church.

One last thing is that sometimes we forget whose church this is. This is Christ's church. We need to have our face buried in prayer seeking God to show us where we are to go individually, locally and denom wide. It does not have to be the same for all but it must be within God's plan for his church.

One last thing...All youth are arrogant and full fo themselves. I did not realize how different I am now than when I was 21 until lately. I did not realize the slow change from the idealistic youngster to the somewhat (relatively speaking) mature man I am today. I look at my boys (21 and 19) and see how they act. I see myself in them and the idealism, arrogance, know-it-all attitudes that comes with being the smartest person on the Earth...the only people with all the answers. They will be like me in another 20-25 years. Time has a way of mellowing you.

We need to take the idealism and willingness to explore and use it to strengthen and even change the face of COG for future generations. We do not look like the COG of 1910 in 2007. Hopefully (If God tarries) we will look very different in 2025.

I'm trying to understand your post. It makes no sense and is filled with ignorant opinions friend. To say ALL young people in their 20's are full of themselves. . . . Come on man, that's just lame. That couldn't be further from the truth. You have nothing to stand upon other than your mentioned self experience. If you'll reread your post, maybe you'll see you hadn't changed so much.

Seriously, there are tons of 20 year old and 30 year old ministers out there that are doing great things in the COG and great exploits in ministry. Some let it get to their head as much as older people do, and some maintain their focus on Christ, just ike some older people do. You can't classify all into a category, nor can you say a majority unless you've got a poll that's been tried and tested.

It's amazing how in the same post, you say that the COG needs the young preachers to step up and lead the way in reaching the next generation and so forth and so on . . . . then you say they're a bunch of know-it-alls who need to learn. Come on man, which is it.
Acts Enthusiast
3/29/07 8:14 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic