Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate
Browse by what's: hot | new | rising | top of the week

The Pope is here!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post to quote my father-in-law(Bro Woolum) wayne
"someone greater than the Pope is here" This usually brought about a standing ovation from the Church Acts Enthusiast
9/23/15 11:54 am

Post this worries me bonnie knox
brother james, you say you had a fairly high leadership roles, yet your reaction here was to twist what I said to the point that you are suggesting I want to give my support to institutional pedophilia. Is it really becoming of someone in leadership to have such a knee-jerk reaction?
Is there anything in what I said that could possibly be construed by a reasonable person as suggesting I want to give support to institutional pedophilia?

Quote:
You honestly want to give your support to institional pedephilia by conflating a few bad apples in the protestant church and equating that with the Catholic Church? Really? Try again.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/23/15 12:27 pm

Post It wasn't a "knee-jerk" response brotherjames
It was a response to what you posted,
Quote:
We, as evangelicals, needn't get too sanctimonious with our condemnation of RCC sex abuse scandals (L)
and your link to a article indicating protestant pedophilia was WORSE than that of the RCC. One could easily assume from that that you were supporting that viewpoint which is not only untrue but seriously overstates the problem in the protestant church at large and the article's assumptions and comments are patently overstated and convoluted.
Acts-celerater
9/23/15 12:58 pm

Post EWTN the Catholic CHannel had this to say today brotherjames
"Raymond Arroyo, news anchor of the largest Catholic cable channel in the world (EWTN), says that he was struck by how political Pope Francis’ talk at the White House this morning was. He said the Pope’s talk had a political edge.

He said the Pope’s talk was full of policy proscriptions on pollution, global warming and other aspects of the environment but largely bereft of any religious angle. Arroyo said many in the mainstream media believe the Pope will become little more than the Democratic whip in the House of Representatives."
Acts-celerater
9/23/15 1:02 pm

Post Preacher777
I enjoy discussions with people I don't know on message boards, close friends and loved ones who may disagree with my thoughts and don't take it personal if they see things differently.

However, I feel Bonnie and others should refrain from quoting a half sentence from me or anybody else and passing judgment on the way the person thinks based upon a half sentence quote. If you want to disagree I thing it is best to share the full sentence and others in context.

Bonnie Knox wrote:
Why does this not surprise me?

And quoted me (Preacher 777) with only the first 5 words of a 2 sentence response to Brother James original post.

Bonnie quoted, Preacher777 wrote:
I agree with you Brother James...

Preacher 777 responded with: I AGREE WITH YOU BROTHER JAMES
about us having a different doctrine than the Pope. If we do not have a different doctrine and set of beliefs we would be wrong to encourage Catholics to leave their church and join ours.

I don't have a lot of time to post here but when I do it is to share stimulating discussion about theology, doctrinal beliefs and to help encourage one another whether we agree or disagree.

Maybe I am reading into things but do you see something wrong with my statement above Bonnie? I have no problem discussing differences of beliefs in a friendly respectful manner.
Friendly Face
9/23/15 1:09 pm

Post bonnie knox
I've never seen you disagree with brother james about anything! [Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/23/15 1:39 pm

Post Obviously two great minds brotherjames
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
(nor response to the other though hmmm.)
Acts-celerater
9/23/15 1:44 pm

Post Preacher777
You are probably right because I really don't think I ever responded to one of his posts. Therefore I am assuming I have never disagreed or agreed with any of his subject matter! Friendly Face
9/23/15 1:49 pm

Post Re: Obviously two great minds bonnie knox
brotherjames wrote:
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
(nor response to the other though hmmm.)

Response to what? You are being tiresome. I can quote the whole paragraph, the whole page, whatever. Or people who are interested can go back up and read it. I've not taken anything out of context; I'm just responding to specific parts.
Now, what is it that you have an issue with?
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/23/15 1:49 pm

Post Re: It wasn't a "knee-jerk" response bonnie knox
brotherjames wrote:
It was a response to what you posted,
Quote:
We, as evangelicals, needn't get too sanctimonious with our condemnation of RCC sex abuse scandals (L)
and your link to a article indicating protestant pedophilia was WORSE than that of the RCC. One could easily assume from that that you were supporting that viewpoint which is not only untrue but seriously overstates the problem in the protestant church at large and the article's assumptions and comments are patently overstated and convoluted.

There is a HUGE difference between saying I support that view and between saying I want to support institutional pedophilia!!!!!!!!!!!!
What EVIDENCE do you have that the article overstates the problem in the protestant church?
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/23/15 1:54 pm

Post My apology to those on Acts-celerate Preacher777
I rarely post on message boards and have never been involved in a running back and forth thing with a different poster.

Bonnie, can we just go forward with no hard feelings? I don't know Brother James but he seems like a respectful person who is entitled to his opinions.
I hope you have a wonderful day and here is a Word for all of us on message boards:

Matthew 5:9: Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.

I once read in a commentary that when the Apostle John was a very old man and couldn't talk much above a whisper he would continually address the believers by saying, "Love one another." I can't prove he did this but it is great advice!

Have a wonderful day Bonnie and I hope you and all of us on or off message boards can focus on how much God has blessed us.

Last edited by Preacher777 on 9/23/15 2:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
Friendly Face
9/23/15 2:05 pm

Post bonnie knox
By the way, the article about child sex abuse in the protestant church quotes extensively Boz Tchividjian. Here is his bio in case you wonder if he is qualified to speak to the subject matter:

"Professor Basyle "Boz" Tchividjian is a former child abuse prosecutor who currently teaches Child Abuse and the Law and several other courses at Liberty University School of Law. As a prosecutor for over eight years, Professor Tchividjian created the first “Crimes Against Children”division at the Office of the State Attorney of the 7th Judicial Circuit in Florida. As division chief, Professor Tchividjian was personally responsible for prosecuting hundreds of cases of child sexual abuse. Professor Tchividjian has spent over 17 years using what he learned as a prosecutor to train and equip prosecutors, investigators, social workers, and medical personnel in handling various aspects of child sexual abuse prosecutions.

Professor Tchividjian is also the founder and executive director of GRACE. The purpose of GRACE is to educate and equip the faith community to correctly respond to sexual abuse disclosures, while also providing practical guidance to the Christian community on how to protect children. GRACE provides confidential consultations to churches, schools, & other organizations that are struggling with abuse related issues. GRACE also assists institutions and abuse survivors by providing independent investigation services.

Professor Tchividjian speaks extensively on this subject at various conference, schools, and denominational gatherings. He has also appeared numerous times on radio and television to discuss the mission and work of GRACE.

Professor Tchividjian is a member of the Florida Bar Association and is admitted to practice in the State of Florida. He is the 3rd eldest grandchild of Reverend Billy Graham and recently published a book entitled Invitation – Billy Graham and the Lives God Touched (2008 Multnomah Press). Professor Tchividjian has also authored numerous journal articles related to the issue of child sexual abuse and is also the author of a new Mini Book released in October entitled, Protecting Children from Abuse at Church: Steps to Prevent and Respond (2013 New Growth Press)

Professor Tchividjian is a graduate of Stetson University and Cumberland School of Law (Samford University)."
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/23/15 2:05 pm

Post I don't care who he is or his credentials brotherjames
There are no statistics quoted, no specifics detailed only hyperbole and innuendo. The pull quote indicating the protestant church is worse than the CatholicChurch on child abuse is an opinion and an overstated, inflated one at that. I never said wasn't happening just that a church with a billion adherents who had an institutional problem that is rife for abuse is statistically more likely to be worse than churches who have sexual abuse policies and training in place and actively try to avoid the same. Acts-celerater
9/23/15 3:42 pm

Post and Preacher777 brotherjames
and I'm done with this issue. Thanks for a rational comment and trying to be a peacemaker. The problem is, it wasn't you Bonnie has an issue with, it's me for some reason. My posts are like a dog whistle to her, she comes running with both barrels blazing for some reason. Doesn't bother me. And I engage her and it bugs her. Sometimes she wins too, she's quite good but she has a problem. Best just to move on. Blessings Acts-celerater
9/23/15 3:49 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
As one preacher friend said the last time the pope came, "My hope is not in the Pope!"

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
9/23/15 10:44 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
Preachers love those Christianese statements that get the congregation all riled up. We should make a list of those on a thread one day. Acts-pert Poster
9/24/15 6:12 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Heaven forbid a preacher say something to energize his congregation.

I love the statement, personally!
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/24/15 8:27 am

Post Eddie Robbins
Obviously, people love those Christianese clichés. They post them on social media all the time. Acts-pert Poster
9/24/15 8:58 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Yup, and there ought to be a law against it! No one should be allowed to get stirred up by anything that happens to rhyme. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/24/15 9:02 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
Eddie Robbins wrote:
Obviously, people love those Christianese clichés. They post them on social media all the time.

Not sure why there is a problem with a Christian "slogan".

Politicians, football teams, and companies use them all the time - but Eddie feels Christians aren't qualified to use them, I guess.

"Hope"

"Change"

"One for the thumb"

Quality is Job 1"

It seems slogans are effective - but not for Christians.

Too bad. Evil or Very Mad
9/24/15 9:26 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic