Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate
Browse by what's: hot | new | rising | top of the week

Pointe
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Pointe excellentposter
Please help me to understand the meaning of "Pointe" as it relates to the name of churches such as Crosspointe, etc.. The only definition I can find is "toe" or "point of shoe". There must be another definition that I cannot find.

Thank you and Happy New Year!
Friendly Face
12/31/15 8:27 am

Post What's the point? famousflavius
What is the point of it all? Golf Cart Mafia Soldier
12/31/15 8:47 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
Pointe - everything focused at one spot - such as a ballet dancer supporting all of her weight on her toes.(that is known as on "Pointe" - a French word.)

In the case of CrossPointe - it would appear the occupiers of that building believe you should focus all of your being on one point - the Cross.
12/31/15 9:04 am

Post Thanks Nature Boy excellentposter
That makes sense, I guess. Thanks! Friendly Face
12/31/15 9:09 am

Post Focus, schmocus--more like hocus pocus bonnie knox
Quote:
Pointe - everything focused at one spot...

Nature Boy is feeding you a baloney sandwich.

I think it is more likely that "pointe" is a variant spelling of "point" in the geographical sense.
A point is a promontory.

Some examples of this are Quicksand Point, Sakonet Point, and Judith Point in New England; and Shark Point and Mosquito Point in Florida.
The "e" on the end is just to make it fancy schmancy. I don't know if it is French or not. Maybe it is, like Grosse Pointe, Michigan. Maybe it is like the "e" on the end of "olde."
So, some churches are probably named after an actual geographical point. The others just thought it sounded cool or trendy.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
12/31/15 10:21 am

Post Old Time Country Preacher
This aint hard, fellers, if ya just think about it. It is simply another one a them things what supposed to be "Cutting Edge." Its a attempt to posture oneself or one's ministry as culturally relevant, in tune, in sync, able to engage contemporary times kinda thing. It is a marketing stratigy some folks wanna use to make the target audience think "WOW.......this place is rockin fer Jesus."

Ats it.

Olde Time Country Preacher
Acts-pert Poster
12/31/15 11:12 am

Post Eddie Robbins
I agree. It's a culture thing. Is there anything wrong with it?

Last edited by Eddie Robbins on 12/31/15 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Acts-pert Poster
12/31/15 11:38 am

Tom Sterbens wrote:
OTCP - I think it's the snarky overtone of condescension that moves me so deeply (such as I just exercised). While I am aware of your ability to think and write well - as you know, I am not given to engaging with a parody persona (having written both those observations to you privately).

Nonetheless - it is gross over-generalizations such as this that serve no purpose whatsoever. Some people have actually done it because, by adding the "e" on the end they were able to secure a URL/domain name that had not been taken.

As you well know, my very good friend, Travis Johnson, pastors one such church. I hardly think you can lump him into your projected image of shallow and superfluous people/churches who act only out of the reasons you've suggested.

And before you launch a campaign against the sin of "doing things to be for the sake of distinction," - please note in our own fellowship the consuming fascination with preserving our Pentecostal "distinctives."

Just a thought...

Tom, son, on the last day a the year you callin out the ole timer fer somethin as menial an maniacal as POINTE? I had to smile when I read ya post. So, let me respond seriatim.

1. Can't believe you thought ma post was snarky condescension. Why would the ole timer need to snarkily condescend to anybody on the subject of an "E"? It was not intended to condescend, only to share a observation.

2. There are exceptions to most every generalized statement/comment/observation. If a feller added a "E" on the end of POINT to get a URL/domain name, or cause the community in which the church was located ended with a "E" (e.g. South Pointe Estates, River Pointe Hills, etc. an all), or even cause he just liked the way it looked, hey, ats one thing. But SO VERY MANY of the cases it is merely as I noted in my previous post.

3. You mentioned our brother, Travis. I thought about him even as I was writing the previous post. I don't know Travis' motive/intent, and it may very well be that his decision to use the "E" had nothing to do with the reasoning I gave. It may also be that this is indeed the reason he used it. Either way, regardless of who/why it's used, it aint no heaven/hell issue. An even if my description "IS" the reason folk use it, it don't mean it is wrong. Hey, everybody wants to be relevant.

4. Cases in point for the reasonin I gave: (1) Back in the early 80's Jimmy Swaggart named his church "Family Worship Center." Sooooonnnnnnnnn, for I knowed it, they was a "********* ************ Worship Center" springin up on ever corner. Numbers a COG churches changed their name to ********* ************ Worship Center." So many wanted to git on at "Worship Center" band wagon cause it was perceived as cool, innovative, "the lastest thing," etc. (2) Back in the 90's, Rod Parsley quit combin his hair back, an got a haircut where his hair was combed forward, an he had this little "flip/spike" thingy goin on at the front of his hair (gelled/sprayed/etc., I don't know what made it stand up). It went viral amongst Pennycostal preachers. Next Assembly, I couldn't count the number a fellers what had em one a them Parsley Parts. Even here in Kentucky, even some a the older fellers was sportin one a them "Charismatic Cuts." (3) An what about them little tables with a bottle a water on it, an a stool. At stuff has gone viral now, an a lot a fellers think they can't preach lessen they got that kinda setup.

Now is it wrong to have a church named "Worship Center"? For Andy's sake I shore hope not. Is it wrong to have a haircut what looks like Parsley. Not at all. But these things often become cultural trends with the masses wantin to jump on the band wagon. IMHO, for the most part, this is what has happened with the word "POINT/POINTE."

Nothing here to condescend or be snarky about, its just the way it is, bro. Wink
Acts-pert Poster
12/31/15 2:44 pm

Post Link
Does anyone have notes for a three-pointe sermon on this topic?
12/31/15 2:51 pm

Link wrote:
Does anyone have notes for a three-pointe sermon on this topic?

"How to be 'E' Relevant in 2016" New Year's Sermon

1. E-xegete
A. Examine the Word
B. Exhaust the Word
C. Explain the Word

2. E-ngage
A. Each One
B. Reach One
C. Teach One

3. E-xpound
A. Discern Error
B. Divulge Error
C. Disseminate Truth
Acts-pert Poster
12/31/15 3:06 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher JimmieDavis
I thought you left the board? Did someone talk you into coming back? Friendly Face
12/31/15 3:51 pm

Post OTCP brotherjames
As much as it pains me to say so, gulp, I agree with your initial assessment. The point of "Pointe" is merely to sound cool. It has little to do with domains etc, it is purely the missional, revelant, seeker, fill in the blank new word, attempt to sound new. Nothing wrong with it per se but it speaks to other issues I have been railing against for 20 plus years. You're right, Tom is spinning it. Acts-celerater
12/31/15 5:39 pm

Post bonnie knox
Quote:
So, let me respond seriatim.

Wow, Ole Timer, I had ta look at word up. I got ma ways ta member em new words I come acrost. My grandpappy had a aunt he called Aunt Sarie. (Her name was Sarah, I reckon, but they said it so it sorta rhymed with ferry.)
Now if you was to ask what happened to them scraps a groundhog meat, the answer might be Sarie ate em. I'll member that word alright.

Now I don't mean ta take away from ya answer ta Tom. I think ya done real good in ya answer.
And just another side note, rendered possum fat will work purty good in tha place of them newfangled hair shellacs.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
12/31/15 5:44 pm

Post Cojak
Eddie Robbins wrote:

Only if it leads to dancing and sipping wine! Cool

YOu know, if it ain't in the KJV!!! Embarassed
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
12/31/15 5:46 pm

Post bonnie knox
Tom ain't spinnin it, brotherjames. He's just layin out another point a view what some might have overlooked. Hit ain't no big deal, really bout the E an all, but I preciate how he does take up for his friend. At's one a them qualities a preacher man ort ta have, I guarantee. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
12/31/15 5:50 pm

Post bonnie knox
Yeah, at's what I'm talkin bout, Cojak. They ort ta be some more folk what has the gumption ta name their church with some BIBLICAL names like Ebenezer and Antioch.
Hey, has anybody done bought up one a them thair domain things on Ebenezer, or are we gonna have ta call at thing EbenezerE?

Cojak wrote:
Eddie Robbins wrote:

Only if it leads to dancing and sipping wine! Cool

YOu know, if it ain't in the KJV!!! Embarassed
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
12/31/15 5:53 pm

Post Re: OTCP bonnie knox
See, ya got something in common with the Ole Timer, afterall. (I mean besides saying you was a leavin Acts and then comin right back.)
You and him has done spent years railin against stuff.

brotherjames wrote:
As much as it pains me to say so, gulp, I agree with your initial assessment. The point of "Pointe" is merely to sound cool. It has little to do with domains etc, it is purely the missional, revelant, seeker, fill in the blank new word, attempt to sound new. Nothing wrong with it per se but it speaks to other issues I have been railing against for 20 plus years. You're right, Tom is spinning it.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
12/31/15 5:57 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
Sadly...NBFs wisdom was overlooked. It was well researched and accurate. But the world doesn't want the truth anymore. They miss the Pointe. Twisted Evil
12/31/15 7:49 pm

Post Re: OTCP philunderwood
brotherjames wrote:
As much as it pains me to say so, gulp, I agree with your initial assessment. The point of "Pointe" is merely to sound cool. It has little to do with domains etc, it is purely the missional, revelant, seeker, fill in the blank new word, attempt to sound new. Nothing wrong with it per se but it speaks to other issues I have been railing against for 20 plus years. You're right, Tom is spinning it.

Missional? LOL... the name of a congregation is about as missional as the brand of toilet paper they put in the restrooms.

I am amused at people who lump missional and relevant/seeker together. The very nature of the two is pretty opposed and polarized from each other. One of the seminars I have written and give with our team (Two Paradigms in Conflict) is specifically geared to this misunderstanding...for the reason you utilize I have to continue to speak and share it. In the words of our beloved Paul, the Apostle, "abound in knowledge" and I would add, forsake being misinformed.

Discover More...
http://www.refocusing.org

A Mission in Formation
www.bluewaterinthekeys.com
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
12/31/15 7:54 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
Great Scot! Acts-pert Poster
12/31/15 8:03 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic