Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

I watched the Travis Johnson video......

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post I watched the Travis Johnson video...... sheepdogandy
"Standing with you. If the Church Of God decides that their way is better than God's way then it's time to disassemble the Church Of God and become independent churches"

This is one sister's response to Bro Travis video.

I told a Brother many years ago, he is an Ordained Bishop with the Church of God Cleveland, TN.

"The day will come when you and many others will leave a General Assembly session with tears in your eyes."

20% can leaven the whole lump.

I went on to say that if, at that time, any of the brethren needed a place to meet, I can supply one.

Stand firm Bro Travis, you are not alone.

www.spwc.church
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
1/9/24 2:58 pm

Post UncleJD
If the Church of God lets 20% run off 80% then what's next? We're too fractured as it is. God please intervene and give these leaders the backbone to throw out the 20%.

I just watched it too, and apparently this was a statement about Lee profs. and I thought the king-pin had retired, that uphold LGBTQ right in plain site, making fools of the denomination that created it. God have mercy on us.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
1/9/24 3:25 pm

Post sheepdogandy
1 Corinthians5:6 Your glorying is not good. Do you not know that a little leaven leavens the whole lump?

Galatians5:9 A little leaven leavens the whole lump.

Just saying.......

www.spwc.church
1/9/24 6:54 pm

Post Cojak
I am hoping that this will play out as Bro. Aaron said in another post. This may force a unification and stand that shows Truth wins. Anyway it doesn't hurt to speculate, but still pray for the Lord's Will to show in leadership...
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
1/9/24 7:25 pm

Post sheepdogandy
Since 1989, I have listened to Church of God Cleveland, TN preachers boldly declare.

"If the Church of God ever compromises on homosexuality, I am gone!"

Well beloved, the fight is on.

Amos 3:1 Hear this word that the LORD has spoken against you, O children of Israel, against the whole family which I brought up from the land of Egypt, saying:
2 "You only have I known of all the families of the earth; Therefore I will punish you for all your iniquities."
3 Can two walk together, unless they are agreed?

Considering the present situation with the Methodists, I wonder how long before something pops in Cleveland.

www.spwc.church
1/10/24 12:22 pm

Post georgiapath
Where can I watch the video, I haven't seen it.

Several years ago the First Presbyterian Church here split because of this issue. Now some of the Methodist Churches are dropping the United part, going back to their old name.

I hope Travis wins, sad that he has to fight this fight.

God help us all.
Acts-dicted
1/11/24 10:58 am

Post sheepdogandy
https://www.facebook.com/pastortravisjohnson/videos/1609428199794979

There you go. Very Happy

www.spwc.church
1/11/24 1:01 pm

Post Me too fire-starter
Double post. My bad, it’s been a while.

Last edited by fire-starter on 1/17/24 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Acts Enthusiast
1/17/24 5:22 pm

Post Me too fire-starter
I just watched it too. Travis is definitely the hero of his own story. Also, he should go into politics— the boy can stump.

I foresee a Lee Prof leaving and the COG bolstering its anti-LGBTQ preaching and resolve. It’s a lose-lose imho.
Acts Enthusiast
1/17/24 5:22 pm

Post Link
UncleJD wrote:
If the Church of God lets 20% run off 80% then what's next? We're too fractured as it is. God please intervene and give these leaders the backbone to throw out the 20%.

I just watched it too, and apparently this was a statement about Lee profs. and I thought the king-pin had retired, that uphold LGBTQ right in plain site, making fools of the denomination that created it. God have mercy on us.

Let's look at what happened with the Methodists. The radical libertines ended up with church buildings while the ones who were faithful to Methodist principals had to go elsewhere in some cases.

This is a good reason to pre-emptively do away with the practice of the COG denomination owning the church building. It should relinquish property to churches unless their is some loan on on the property. That way, if the libertines take over, they won't take the church buildings.
Acts-perienced Poster
1/17/24 5:53 pm

Post Re: Me too georgiapath
fire-starter wrote:
I just watched it too. Travis is definitely the hero of his own story. Also, he should go into politics— the boy can stump.

I foresee a Lee Prof leaving and the COG bolstering its anti-LGBTQ preaching and resolve. It’s a lose-lose imho.

I'm sure he could find other places to teach, why come to Lee if he doesn't believe like they do. Why would he even want to?
Acts-dicted
1/19/24 11:20 am

Post Re: Me too fire-starter
georgiapath wrote:
fire-starter wrote:

I'm sure he could find other places to teach, why come to Lee if he doesn't believe like they do. Why would he even want to?

Who is "he?" I suppose we would have to ask him. Pastors stay in denominations they don't agree with on everything and profs stay in schools they don't agree with for all sorts of reasons. Maybe they don't see the differences in beliefs as being substantial. Maybe they hope to change the organization from the inside out. Maybe they genuinely love everything else about the organization and hope that the organization can appreciate differences rather than police them. Maybe they believe that because they are part of a liberal arts school it will be open to dialogue and critical thinking instead of just existing as a denominational echo chamber. Who knows?
Acts Enthusiast
1/19/24 2:56 pm

Post Re: Me too georgiapath
fire-starter wrote:
georgiapath wrote:
fire-starter wrote:

Who is "he?" I suppose we would have to ask him. Pastors stay in denominations they don't agree with on everything and profs stay in schools they don't agree with for all sorts of reasons. Maybe they don't see the differences in beliefs as being substantial. Maybe they hope to change the organization from the inside out. Maybe they genuinely love everything else about the organization and hope that the organization can appreciate differences rather than police them. Maybe they believe that because they are part of a liberal arts school it will be open to dialogue and critical thinking instead of just existing as a denominational echo chamber. Who knows?

The "he" is the one that brought charges against Travis Johnson but of course you know that. So I will answer my own question, most likely it's because he wants to stir up trouble. So I hope it doesn't work for him.
Acts-dicted
1/19/24 3:32 pm

Post Re: Me too fire-starter
georgiapath wrote:
fire-starter wrote:
georgiapath wrote:
fire-starter wrote:

The "he" is the one that brought charges against Travis Johnson but of course you know that. So I will answer my own question, most likely it's because he wants to stir up trouble. So I hope it doesn't work for him.

Of course, I knew that you were referring to the one who brought charges. I was only stating that until we knew his name, we could not ask him personally. Perhaps you are right, and he is just a troublemaker. I think it is more likely that one of the reasons I listed is a motivator. That is usually the case when someone challenges the crowd, and the crowd normally labels them a troublemaker. We've seen it happen in the church at large for centuries.
Acts Enthusiast
1/19/24 4:17 pm

Post georgiapath
Link wrote:
UncleJD wrote:

Let's look at what happened with the Methodists. The radical libertines ended up with church buildings while the ones who were faithful to Methodist principals had to go elsewhere in some cases.

This is a good reason to pre-emptively do away with the practice of the COG denomination owning the church building. It should relinquish property to churches unless their is some loan on on the property. That way, if the libertines take over, they won't take the church buildings.

The big First Methodist church here just lost a large group of members over this issue. They went across town and started their own church. A lot of them had not always gone there so the bldg. was not an issue.

Another Methodist church kept their bldg. and incorporated, They just dropped the United part and went back to their original name. This one was started in 1875 so no way were they going to lose their building.
Acts-dicted
1/22/24 10:21 am

Post caviator
Not sure what the answer is all about, but no charges specified here either Hey, DOC
2/22/24 9:22 am

Post Global Methodist Church Mat
georgiapath wrote:
Link wrote:
UncleJD wrote:

The big First Methodist church here just lost a large group of members over this issue. They went across town and started their own church. A lot of them had not always gone there so the bldg. was not an issue.

Another Methodist church kept their bldg. and incorporated, They just dropped the United part and went back to their original name. This one was started in 1875 so no way were they going to lose their building.

Many UMC congregations have voted to leave and join the new Global Methodist Church denomination. It seems that the majority were able to take that building, I think, if a "super-majority" of members of that local church wanted to leave.

The educational and other institutions are in the hands of the UMC, and pastors who make the move pay a price in their retirement funds. I think the UMC tried to make the departing local churches continue to pay a portion of their institutional support - but I'm not sure that's going to happen.

So the liberal churches and leadership keep their name, their traditions and their liberal Bishops, colleges/professors, etc. The new GMC gets the Bible. That's a good trade.

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
2/25/24 7:38 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic